PDA

View Full Version : American Fans: A Question.

Temperenka
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
So this question is for all big year-round tennis fans that don't have the tennis channel. I love tennis. I never miss grand slam matches...I wake up early, I stay up late, I watch streams, whatever.. But with America only caring about football/basketball/baseball..how do you stay such a fan through the long time between the AO-FO and USO-AO? How do you watch matches, because the only way is the tennis channel and there is not enough interest to cover it in Wisconsin, unfortunately. I really want to be a year round fan because I have such a massive interest in following the sport. :confused: :help:

Stupid America and their sports :rolleyes: ;)

cheo23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
LOL you just have to WAit for Grand Slams, or like just find some livestreams for certain tournaments!!!

Brooklyn90
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
Visit this site everyday, and I just follow live scoring and just hope someone posts the match here.

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
I dislike America's "coverage" as well. You just have to watch live streams and wait for matches to be uploaded.

Temperenka
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks everyone! It just really blows that America can't find better taste in sports. :p

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks everyone! It just really blows that America can't find better taste in sports. :p

:sad:

Jeff
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Yes it definitely does suck, and as I said before, I think it is disappointing that Tennis Channel gets to French Open matches when there are still quite a few of us that don't have it. However, espn360.com now has coverage, so that fixes that problem.

It is true that other sports get more coverage, but all sports have an off-season, and so even basketball, baseball, football fans etc. etc. have to wait for a new season. Tennis, however, is year-around. Even though we don't get all the coverage in America, it's very easy to follow by visiting here and watch internet feeds or live scores etc. etc. Anyhow, I think that if we had access to every single tournament, the build up to the slams wouldn't be as exciting :)

Lindsayfan32
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Being a aussie American tennis fan is worse. We get the whole of the Australian summer. None of the french unless you have pay tv all of Wimbledon where they think we want to watch men's tennis and Maria and then we only get the US open from Semi's onwards. I follow Lindsay on the net as it's the best and only way i can follow her. I also buy matches on dvd. :)

Serenidad.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I have no Tennis Channel or ESPN 2. Furthermore, I really don't have any source of consistent and reliable coverage of tennis. I didn't watch many matches at AO 08 besides Serena's R4 and QF. French Open, I saw no full matches only found a random off stream to catch Serena's R3 loss.

The only time I get satisfactory, extensive tennis coverage IN MY LANGUAGE or any other language is Wimbledon Live. I probably won't see another full match of tennis when Wimbledon ends until the USO. I just waddle around and try to find a random stream which I get lucky sometimes. However, some of those sites look shady and unsafe. :scared:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm lucky I suppose. I get TTC and ESPN2, plus if there's a match I really want to see or hear has a great reputation then I DL it from this site or a a favorite's official/fan site.

There ARE ways to get around American TV's bad coverage, but I've basically stopped using livestreams. They generally suck. :o

DownTheLine21
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm sure it's very difficult to track down the matches, but, most of time, you can find livestream links here. However, I am lucky because I have TTC, ESPN, ESPN360, and ATP Master Series TV.

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
You just have to watch live streams and wait for matches to be uploaded.

This is precisely what I am doing.

Another thing: I detest TV so much that I don't have a TV set at home, and neither any of my friends, so deficiencies of the TV sports channels coverage are not an issue for me.

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
You have the option of having a real life between the slams. ;)

It is a wonderful time to deal with your own tennis game. :angel:

That works for me. :cool:

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM

Variety is the spice of life.

I don't like baseball, but beyond that I'd hate to be some nation that practically enslaved to one or two sports. In Cali you can watch and play darn near every sport I've ever heard of from American Football to Cricket. :cool: