PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a cakewalk draw!

xan
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Looks like all the serious opposition has melted away, and the Williamses have a cakewalk to the final.
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)
One seed to be faced (No 5)

Only one top-ten player to be faced between the two players.
Is this a record?

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:57 PM
But before the tournament everyone was saying how even the draw is :lol:

Is it their fault that the "top" players got ass whipped in straight sets? (except Kuzy who just had a monumental brain freeze :( )

joão.
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Well, if they do face each other in the final it won't be a cakewalk draw anymore.

Uranium
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Venus had a tough draw when it first came out, it isn't their fault Maria, Ivanovic and Jankovic all LOST winning less than 6 games, it shows that they are consistent.

Modiac.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
You forgot Aga is No.14 seed in Wimby. ;)

AcesHigh
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Whoever wins the title, it'll be one of the easiest paths(ranking-wise) ever if that's what your point is.

gmokb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
:p

AcesHigh
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure when 32 seeds were introduced, but in 1997, Hingis faced only one top 16 player on her way to a Wimby title I believe. And at USO, it was 2 I think.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM

Is it their fault that the "top" players got ass whipped in straight sets?

EXACTLY!!!!

DennisPostedThis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
No the draw wasn't a cake walk. The draw was difficult for both of them, when it was drawn. Upsets made it easier for them on paper, but their draw wasn't a cakewalk. A draw can only be made, it can't be made to fruition.

Tennisstar86
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
where you been? haters rollin in late this year... guess you took a vaca when sharpie tumbled out... Anyways... the draw fell apart wasnt a cakewalk If it were the players who barely got 6 games would still be around... but that arent... thanks for the hate though....

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
there is a reason why those players got through, they played better than their opposition :shrug:

xan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Draw seems equivalent to a Tier 3

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:10 AM

but it started as aGrand Slam level, try not being bitter because the top 4 seeds(Maria) all lost and now the WS capitalize on that:shrug:

vw.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Serena and Venus' draw became a cakewalk after the losses by several other top players.
This is different than previous renowned cakewalk draws, where it was a cakewalk from the get go.

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Looks like all the serious opposition has melted away, and the Williamses have a cakewalk to the final.
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?

Radwanksa is a seed.:wavey:

Dave.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Venus had a very tough draw when it started. It's not her problem that Jankovic, Sharapova lost and Davenport pulled out. Dementieva can still be dangerous though.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
ACtually Serena had a tough draw...the big heads just fell out this year...the underdogs took them out. Last year it happened with Henin...Bartoli was a underdog..and took her out. Venus and Serena has just kept up over their competition to remain in....they never underestimated them.

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Some of those cake eaters beat non cake eaters in Maria, Ana, Jelena.

xan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
but it started as aGrand Slam level, try not being bitter because the top 4 seeds(Maria) all lost and now the WS capitalize on that:shrug:

Bitter? Moi?
I'm just raising the issue. When some players face a slam draw that has less than 3/4 of the Top ten in it, it gets called a cakewalk by many fanbases. What's the difference here?

xan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Radwanksa is a seed.:wavey:
I didn't notice. but not that high, anyhow.

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Bitter? Moi?
I'm just raising the issue. When some players face a slam draw that has less than 3/4 of the Top ten in it, it gets called a cakewalk by many fanbases. What's the difference here?

because when they get the draws, they have crappy players. But both WS got hard draws, but the top players lost early, that's not cakewalk, that's them being consistent when it matters.

Craigy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:18 AM

She's clearly a great player considering she breaks into the top 10 after Wimbledon.

hablo
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Some of those cake eaters beat non cake eaters in Maria, Ana, Jelena.

Yup.

You forgot Sveta.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM

:lol: She'll be Top 10 next week.

dybbuk
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
This is exactly what people did to Ana during the French. :spit: It's not the Williams fault all the top players, who would have made their draw difficult, decided to suck this week. :)

The Daviator
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?

That's usually what happens when the rest of the "top" players are too sucky to make the second week.

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Well to win Serena would have beaten 1 top 10 player, and 2 past Wimbledon Champions (the most recent ones, 2007 and 2006), if Venus beats Dementieva. Otherwise 1 top 5 player and 1 past champion.

Venus would have beaten 2 top 10, and 1 past champion (if Serena goes through) or 1 top 5.

Not bad if Venus-Serena (as I hope) meet in the final.

Edit: of course the OP is trying to spread some hate but looks just stupid.

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
Venus had a tough draw when it first came out, it isn't their fault Maria, Ivanovic and Jankovic all LOST winning less than 6 games, it shows that they are consistent.
Point of the thread being: Remember that when it happens to others :p

DennisPostedThis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
If this was a cake walk draw, the top players who lost to Jose Martinez, Radwanska Kleybanova, & Tanasugarn had cake walk draws also, but it didn't turn out that way for them. haha

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM

there's a difference from getting an easy draw to the final and having a hard draw that opened up into an easy one.:p

Nicolás89
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Fair draws, just low ranked opponents.

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yup.

You forgot Sveta.

Svetlana is dear to my heart. When she loses I'm sort of in denial :sad: She's still playing in an alternate universe version of this slam :lol:

misael
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?

Look at Fedderer's draw, the highest seed he's had to face was Hewitt, #20 he won't meet another seed until the finals.

Warrior
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
It's not their fault that the top seeds underperformed. Agassi won AO once facing only one top 10 player. Nobody complained, though.

SOA_MC
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:31 AM

Point of the thread Xan shouldn't use her computer after Pova loses making stupid pointless threads on everybody:weirdo:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
:lol: :lol: Well, that certainly doesn't speak well for Maria, then. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
dear xan....if those are cakewalk players why didn't your precious maria beat them and be there in her place at the semis?? :rolleyes:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
:lol: :lol: Well, that certainly doesn't speak well for Maria, then. :lol:

:rolls: indeed

Mrs. Peel
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:52 AM
there's a difference from getting an easy draw to the final and having a hard draw that opened up into an easy one.:p
Big difference.
Thread starter desperately grasping at straws :o:o:o
Is it our fault that Maria lost to #1,23874869 in the world?:p

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
Point of the thread Xan shouldn't use her computer after Pova loses making stupid pointless threads on everybody:weirdo:
The thread is pointless aside from demonstrating that the same thing happens all the time and can happen to anyone so all the 'cakewalk draw' threads are as stupid as one another

Big difference.The end result is the same. The players who are playing the best that week get through.

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
The thread is pointless aside from demonstrating that the same thing happens all the time and can happen to anyone so all the 'cakewalk draw' threads are as stupid as one another

The end result is the same. The players who are playing the best that week get through.

No, it's not the same. The difference is that playesr who beat n.1, 2, 3, 4 etc. in the world are more worthy than players who have beaten scrubs. I know you are trying to defend Maria's cakewalks but you failed.:wavey:

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:08 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?
This is the type of draws Maria Sharapova AKA Easydrawapova usually gets at the beginning of tournaments and Slams, consistently getting cakewalk draws to the semis or finals.

I'm sure you know very well the difference between a cakewalk draw that is intentionally set up from the beginning for the "It" girl, and a hard draw that opens up after other top players failed to advance. It's not Venus and Serena's fault their hard draws opened up. Your desperate attempt to compare the two is just laughable and downright bitter.

SOA_MC
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
The thread is pointless aside from demonstrating that the same thing happens all the time and can happen to anyone so all the 'cakewalk draw' threads are as stupid as one another.

It proves both look at the threads Xan has started recently

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:19 AM
well seeing as xan has called the sisters run to the semis a fluke :weirdo: he's lost all credibility on anything

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
No, it's not the same. The difference is that playesr who beat n.1, 2, 3, 4 etc. in the world are more worthy than players who have beaten scrubs. I know you are trying to defend Maria's cakewalks but you failed.:wavey:
:lol: Maybe you should have a look at the quality and rankings of the players Maria beat to win her 3 slams and many of her 16 other titles. Then maybe post something intelligent for once.

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM

The end result is the same. The players who are playing the best that week get through.
The only thing that happens all the time is Sharapova getting cakewalk draws from the beginning, not after her hard draws are opened up. So, no, the end result is not the same. Your comparison is pathetic.

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
The only thing that happens all the time is Sharapova getting cakewalk draws from the beginning, not after her hard draws are opened up. So, no, the end result is not the same. Your comparison is pathetic.
Please list these easy draws Maria has had when shes won slams.

The AO was being hailed as her toughest draw of all time and "her luck ran out" and "Karma 1 : Sharapova 0" etc etc and look what happened.

daniel122292
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
its not the Williams sister fault when the draw came out the draw was pretty hard and even on both sides but all the top players got upset and Serena and Venus didnt.

xan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
This is the type of draws Maria Sharapova AKA Easydrawapova usually gets at the beginning of tournaments and Slams, consistently getting cakewalk draws to the semis or finals.
Yeah? Maria has consistently been in the toughest half of most draws, yet some people keep on spouting this nonsense. Look at the AO. Maria had:

*Davenport, Round 2
*Dementieva Round 4
*Henin Qtr Final
*Jankovic Semi
*Ivanovic - Final

Yet people say she has cakewalk draws. :rolleyes: A little bit different to Wimbledon 08....

I'm sure you know very well the difference between a cakewalk draw that is intentionally set up from the beginning for the "It" girl, and a hard draw that opens up after other top players failed to advance. It's not Venus and Serena's fault their hard draws opened up. Your desperate attempt to compare the two is just laughable and downright bitter.
Are you saying the draws are fixed?? :lol:
A little delusional - no?
Anyway they did a bad job at AO.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
btw didn't people say serena had the toughest opening round with kaia coming off QF run at RG and the fact that she had a big power game which did cause serena some trouble...:shrug:

Infiniti2001
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM
xan, is it Venus's fault that Sania, Dani, Flavia, Jelena and Maria got knocked out? :shrug:

SVU
Just goes to show how weak the WTA is at the moment!

Must be the weakest ever.

I read a thread by a poster called Marsh (something) that the era was weak when Henin was winning everything recently (it was posted in another thread recently). :lol: If it was weak then, it must be even weaker now without her? :lol: :lol:

pov
Is this a record?

Yeah that's wild. It's also wild to see many posters saying "it's not their fault" as if blame is the issue.

LindsayRulz
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
There is more and more depth in the women's game and I think we'll see more and more upsets in slams like the ones we saw this year at Wimbledon. I wouldn't call it a cakewalk draw, it's just that several top players lost early this year, and yeah, to see Tanasugarn and Zheng in QF seems strange, but they played awesome grass tennis to go so far in the tournament.

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:34 AM
xan, is it Venus's fault that Sania, Dani, Flavia, Jelena and Maria got knocked out? :shrug:
Im not Xan but no. Just like it isnt the case for anyone else. Simple really....but you have to take into account that Larry personally makes Maria's draws for her :p

A number of delusional Serena fans have been pushing the draw-rigging barrow for years yet now they complain about this treatment from others.

pov
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:38 AM
Okay. To be accurate - it wasn't a cakewalk draw. What can be said is that the WS had a cakewalk series of matches to get to the SF.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?

kaia - big power player who caused serena some trouble at the start of their match

u-rad - younger rad sister who people thought would trouble serena with her type of game and the fact that the match was on court 2

momo - 06 champ and very good on grass despite her form because her game just suits the grass..tested serena in the 1st...

mattek- played serena very well with her serving and volleying...serena would have had to play bartoli the defending finalist and #11 seed but she lost :shrug: not serena's fault

a-rad - people call her hingis #2 and thought she would really test serena because she was so crafty and what's not...but people forgot that serena owned hingis :shrug: (would have had kuzzy but she lost)

jie - for the most part i think her flat game will play right into serena's hands on the grass :shrug: it's the sort of game dani plays and she loved it...hard flat games never bothered serena (would have had ana/nicole but they lost)

venus/lena- serena is pretty hard to beat in finals of GS....she's only lost 2 of 10....and i doubt she will want to pass up a chance to win a 3rd wimbledon, a 9th GS title and a GS outside of AO..

not really cakewalk from serena

Il Primo!
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Im not Xan but no. Just like it isnt the case for anyone else. Simple really....but you have to take into account that Larry personally makes Maria's draws for her :p

A number of delusional Serena fans have been pushing the draw-rigging barrow for years yet now they complain about this treatment from others.

Does it surprise you?

Anyways, this thread is worthless :yawn:

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:48 AM
it's hard to say a player gets cakewalk draws, because if it was a cakewalk, they would have won it. Maria's USO 2007 I must say was a cakewalk when it came out, but she lost to Radwanska. Cakewalk draws, are easy draws that you should win with from first seeing it until the end. Venus and Serena has hard draws from the beginning, that's the big difference, their top opponents lost and not them.

Nikkiri
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
This is exactly what people did to Ana during the French. :spit: It's not the Williams fault all the top players, who would have made their draw difficult, decided to suck this week. :)

Yeah, I was thinking that. :o

Exactly the same thing happened to Ana she had Serena in the QF which is not an easy draw but Serena lost early but that didn't stop people going on and on about a "cakewalk draw":rolleyes:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM

Excuse me, but how the hell could this draw be thought of as rigged. Everyone at the start of the tournament was saying that it was fairly balanced. Serena got the hardest first round opponent in Kanepi, who was ranked 30 something and coming off a QF at the last slam. I don't see how anyone could think it's rigged when all the top players lose early. It is so different to having an easy draw from the start, which Serena didn't have.

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
Excuse me, but how the hell could this draw be thought of as rigged. Everyone at the start of the tournament was saying that it was fairly balanced. Serena got the hardest first round opponent in Kanepi, who was ranked 30 something and coming off a QF at the last slam. I don't see how anyone could think it's rigged when all the top players lose early. It is so different to having an easy draw from the start, which Serena didn't have.
I didnt say it was rigged. :shrug: I said that some fans had been whinging about other players draws in the past including claims of draw-rigging.

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
I didnt say it was rigged. :shrug: I said that some fans had been whinging about other players draws in the past including claims of draw-rigging.

US Open 2007 looked rigged.

Megan1224
How can it be a calkwalk if all the top seeds fell out before they were supposed to. It's not Venus or Serena's fault the top players couldn't hold their seeds. And as far as Sharapova always having calkwalk draws...there are seeds for a reason- so that the people with the higher rankings don't meet each other early on in the tournament. The seeds are divided fairly, 1&2 opposite halfs, 3&4 opposite halfs, etc. It's not like Maria gets all the lowly ranked players in her draw, it's divided fairly according to the "ranking" (keyword there) Maria's famously weak U.S. Open draw saw herself as the number 2 seed and she ended up with seeds 4, 6, and 7. It was equally distributed. It's not her fault the so called "weak" players were ranked 4, 6, and 7. Those players earned their ranking just like everyone else.

SOA_MC
Does it surprise you?

Anyways, this thread is worthless :yawn:

Weren't you all over Ana's Roland Garros draw:rolleyes:

Nikkiri
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Weren't you all over Ana's Roland Garros draw:rolleyes:

Half the people in this thread were. ;)

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:01 AM

I wasn't:p

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:01 AM
It's interesting that xan and Dan23 waited until Venus and Serena were in the semifinals to whine about cakewalk draw. They didn't say a word when the draw first came out. Now all of a sudden they are desperately trying to defend Sharapova's cakewalk draws by comparing a hard draw that opened up and a cakewalk draw at the beginning.

Threads made about Sharapova getting cakewalk draws always came right after the draws were announced, not after her draws had opened up with one match to go until the final. Once a draw comes out, everyone could clearly see who has the hardest draw and who has a cakewalk. The fact is the "It" girl usually gets the cakewalk.

Nikkiri
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
I wasn't:p

Good :p

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Thats because the concept of draws, seeding and the randomness of it all is foreign to some people. Either that or theyre too childish to see past their dislike for some players. :p

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:06 AM
It's interesting that xan and Dan23 waited until Venus and Serena were in the semifinals to whine about cakewalk draw. They didn't say a word when the draw first came out. Now all of a sudden they are desperately trying to defend Sharapova's cakewalk draws by comparing a hard draw that opened up and a cakewalk draw at the beginning.

Threads made about Sharapova getting cakewalk draws always came right after the draws were announced, not after her draws had opened up with one match to go until the final. Once a draw comes out, everyone could clearly see who has the hardest draw and who has a cakewalk. The fact is the "It" girl usually gets the cakewalk.
:lol: that would be all well and good if I had actually whined about Serena and Venus' draws :o Have another read.

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
:lol: that would be all well and good if I had actually whined about Serena and Venus' draws :o Have another read.

you're complaining about others complaining of Sharapova's cake draws, which has nothing to do with this thread really, since it's Venus and Serena, it could be implied you are saying Venus and Serena's draws are cakewalks, but you never actually said it:p

Nikkiri
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Thats because the concept of draws, seeding and the randomness of it all is foreign to some people. Either that or theyre too childish to see past their dislike for some players. :p

Yeah funny how things change when it becomes about your fave player instead of one you dislike :p

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?

well seeing as xan has called the sisters run to the semis a fluke :weirdo: he's lost all credibility on anything

A man (I mean, xan) who is not ashamed to write such nonsense has zero credibility. He didn't notice that Radwańska was a seeded player...

In fact, Serena had perhaps the toughest draw out of all top seeds. And so far, for every opponent she faced, she was bringing the level of game that she thought she needed in order to win.

Hats off to Serena...

mykarma
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Doesn't say much for the top players since those tier 3 players whipped their butts in grand style.

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
you're complaining about others complaining of Sharapova's cake draws, which has nothing to do with this thread really, since it's Venus and Serena, it could be implied you are saying Venus and Serena's draws are cakewalks, but you never actually said it:p
;) However you define a cakewalk, it doesnt matter because Venus/Serena have nothing to do with deciding how their draw is shaped aside from beating the player who comes onto the court against them each time. Its the same for everyone else.

SOA_MC
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
;) However you define a cakewalk, it doesnt matter because Venus/Serena have nothing to do with deciding how their draw is shaped aside from beating the player who comes onto the court against them each time. Its the same for everyone else.

Then why don't you address this to Xan and not Serena and Venus fans?

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM

that's your opinion:shrug:, I feel that they had a tough draw at the beginning, but once the top players lost, it opened up. Sharapova USO 2007 had an EASY draw from start to finish to defend her title,but blew it. I feel a cakewalk draw is the draw someone has from the beginning(when draw comes out) to end that is easy, not someone that has an easy draw because it opened up, that's the top players fault for not making it to where they were suppose to in the draw.

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
US Open 2007 looked rigged.
Well, that was the most in your-face rigged draw of all time. 6 of the 7 players who had kicked Sharapova's butt in 2007 were all put in one half. Sharapova was all by herself in the other half with a bunch of scrubs. Even the commentators were baffled.

US Open 2007 draw was the closest Larry came to handing Sharapova the trophy without having her played anybody. Thank goodness it backfired.

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
Then why don't you address this to Xan and not Serena and Venus fans?
EXACTLY!

Dan23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Then why don't you address this to Xan and not Serena and Venus fans?Im sure Xan can read :p consider it addressed to him then too if you like

that's your opinion:shrug:, I feel that they had a tough draw at the beginning, but once the top players lost, it opened up. Sharapova USO 2007 had an EASY draw from start to finish to defend her title,but blew it. I feel a cakewalk draw is the draw someone has from the beginning(when draw comes out) to end that is easy, not someone that has an easy draw because it opened up, that's the top players fault for not making it to where they were suppose to in the draw.I wasnt debating whether or not Venus and Serena have a cakewalk draw :lol: What I said is a fact, they have no bearing on their draw aside from winning the matches they play. Btw nothing was easy for Maria last year ;)

Xanadu11
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
The draw is the draw. To win you have to win seven matches. I mean sure there are so amazing slam victories where players come through a very tough draw, which make you go wow, neither of these victories will qualify for that, but if you win 7 matches you win the title. But this should also really stop people going on about Ana's FO win as well.

PLP
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Actually, Serena's draw has been fairly challenging, all things considered.

But it is interesting how things have fallen into place, like it was meant to be. :angel:

OsloErik
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Firstly, wrong. A Radwanska was seeded.

Secondly, not really a cakewalk. The only "gimme" match would be Mattek.

Kanepi just reached the FO quarters three weeks before. Urszula won the Wimbledon girls event last year, meaning she was on a 7 match win streak at wimbledon when she played Serena. Mauresmo won the event two years ago. Agnieszka just won Eastbourne, putting her in the category of "good on grass".

So, Mattek was kind of a gimme, and Zheng should be, but slam semifinals aren't ever "gimme" matches. This isn't a draw for the ages, difficulty wise, but just like all slam semifinalists, the draw has a story. It's impossible to give raw numbers like that when there is a context.

Just Do It
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

This is seriously a joke.

Andreas
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Is it their fault that the "top" players got ass whipped in straight sets? (except Kuzy who just had a monumental brain freeze :( )
Didn't the same happen to Venus and Serena at Roland Garros :)

Destiny
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Oh well it a bit easy. I just hope they get to the finals

Huntress55
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
True it was an easy draw for both. But it didnt start out the way. Its just the fact that the top players got defeated so they didnt have to play them. Its just luck for them.

Shepster
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?
Those aren't the draws though, Venus DREW a coming back from injury Mirza in 3R and a coming back from injury Daniela in 4R, then out of Ivanovic, JJ, Maria and Sveta she got Jankovic, the least accomplished grass court player of the 4. This coupled with her joke 1R/2R opponents meant Venus always had a very favourable draw as it was extremely likely her seeds in 3R and 4R would do very well even to get to Venus after their months out, but ... you have to beat what's in front of you. Kleybanova and Martinez Sanchez were both playing better than Dani or Sania (I know, I saw both 2nd round matches) so she actually got tougher competition by having the seeds in their current state not get through.

Serena on the other hand drew Mauresmo, Bartoli and Kuznetsova up to the quarters. Not her fault Sveta threw away the Radwanska match or that Marion got injured, but Amelie could well have "done a Safin" in the third round and out of Marion, Daniela, Patty and Dinara the latter two suck on grass and Daniela seldom troubles her so she got the tough draw in that section. Serena's actual draw was far from easy, she even got a top 40 player in the first round, which you've got about a 10% chance of doing. That it didn't pan out that way is not her fault at all as injuries and chokes happen, but even with that she still had Kanepi 1R which was a banana skin waiting to happen and Mauresmo in the 3rd round - that can never be "cakewalk".

terjw
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Those aren't the draws though, Venus DREW a coming back from injury Mirza in 3R and a coming back from injury Daniela in 4R, then out of Ivanovic, JJ, Maria and Sveta she got Jankovic, the least accomplished grass court player of the 4. This coupled with her joke 1R/2R opponents meant Venus always had a very favourable draw as it was extremely likely her seeds in 3R and 4R would do very well even to get to Venus after their months out, but ... you have to beat what's in front of you. Kleybanova and Martinez Sanchez were both playing better than Dani or Sania (I know, I saw both 2nd round matches) so she actually got tougher competition by having the seeds in their current state not get through.

Serena on the other hand drew Mauresmo, Bartoli and Kuznetsova up to the quarters. Not her fault Sveta threw away the Radwanska match or that Marion got injured, but Amelie could well have "done a Safin" in the third round and out of Marion, Daniela, Patty and Dinara the latter two suck on grass and Daniela seldom troubles her so she got the tough draw in that section. Serena's actual draw was far from easy, she even got a top 40 player in the first round, which you've got about a 10% chance of doing. That it didn't pan out that way is not her fault at all as injuries and chokes happen, but even with that she still had Kanepi 1R which was a banana skin waiting to happen and Mauresmo in the 3rd round - that can never be "cakewalk".

Rubbish - Venus and Serena drew the possibility of playing those players. They didn't draw those players.

Let's just change the semantics and replace the word "draw" with "path". If the TS had said "cakewalk path" would that make you happy? I doubt it.

If we talk about a player with an easier "draw" - we are saying there's a likelihood of an easier path to the finals. Sometimes a player never seems to get an easy draw. Sometimes a player seems to get an easier draw more often. There is no reason in the short term why it should be even. And there's ifs woulda coulda shoulda as to what will actually transpire.

Equally - fair enough to talk abot a player having an easier path which is dealing in facts and what actually has transpired.

In either case though - where do you stop with all these cakewalk arguments whether it be the draw or the path. A player might have a tough opponent who is absolute rubbish on the day. A number of posters have said a player can only play who they play and has no control over this. I hope they apply the same criteria to the draw when it comes out as well as to the path.

Bottom line - I think it's OK to have a bit of a moan that your player hasn't got an easy draw. Or that your player has not had an easy path. And then cite other players who have had it easier. But don't overdo it. Draws and paths are never "cakewalk". More easy or more difficult - that's all. I've always thought of ppl who talk about cakewals and/or constantly harp on about it too much as wingers, sore losers and probably have double standards.

We can have a little bemoaning our own player's luck at the draw and/or path and then move on. There are no asterisks against GS winners - and winning is always deserved whatever the initial draw and however the draw opens up.

tennnisfannn
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
while you are bemoaning the sister's draw, this is who ElenaD has drawn, not tooo tough ofr a slam semi either:
MCamerin
T Bacskinsky
Dulko
peer
petrova.
Whilst Peer and pertova were seeded they are not the same player they were a year ago, in fact in the semois Venus and serena beat players who had won titles coming uin and were better players than Nicole and Petrova, they had the tougher qf.

Shepster
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Let's just change the semantics and replace the word "draw" with "path". If the TS had said "cakewalk path" would that make you happy? I doubt it.
It absolutely would. This place is NUTS for saying how the draws are fixed or certain players always get cakewalk draws.

If we talk about a player with an easier "draw" - we are saying there's a likelihood of an easier path to the finals.
And if the bigger name had got through they're obviously not playing well enough to make it a more difficult path.
Totally agree, but that has to run into this :

Sometimes a player never seems to get an easy draw. Sometimes a player seems to get an easier draw more often. There is no reason in the short term why it should be even. And there's ifs woulda coulda shoulda as to what will actually transpire.
And that luck is purely on the actual draw. Once the tournament has begun you're into form and circumstances. You can say Hantuchova, for example, has had tough luck with draws in slams over the years (looking at the amount of times she's drawn a Williams in her quarter, etc.) - but that doesn't mean the times she didn't make it to Venus and Serena is necessarily "cakewalk" for them because she obviously wasn't playing well enough to even challenge them.

Equally - fair enough to talk abot a player having an easier path. What actually does traspire.
It is fair enough to talk about who they actually play, but do so framing that within the context of the fortnight's play. For example Zheng Jie this week is not an easy path. Serena has by far and away the harder semifinal (as Dementieva only just beat her first top 20 player at Wimbledon yesterday) - but just because she's never been this far before and isn't seeded, just blindly looking at the numbers and who you ended up playing is extremely misleading.

In either case though - where do you stop with all these cakewalk arguments whether it be the draw or the path. A player might have a tough opponent who is absolute rubbish on the day. A number of posters have said a player can only play who they play and has no control over this. I hope they apply the same criteria to the draw when it comes out as well as to the path.
Another reason people ignorantly whine about the actual draws, I've seen people say "WHY DIDN'T MARIA GET JUSTINE???" when they were #1 and #2 seeds and physically couldn't draw each other precisely because they DID have control over it. If you're in the top 4 you won't play a top 12 player until the quarter final - that's in your hands. If you're ranked 32 you won't get a top 32 player until the 3rd round - If you're outside you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting one in the first round and are guaranteed to be scheduled one in the second round at the latest - players do have control over who they play, to a certain extent and who they get is pure luck, whereas in the actual run to the semis or final it's not luck, it's form and performance. One is completely intangible, the other based on what the players actually did.

Bottom line - I think it's OK to have a bit of a moan that your player hasn't got an easy draw. Or that your player has not had an easy path. And then cite other players who have had it easier. But don't overdo it. Draws and paths are never "cakewalk". More easy or more difficult - that's all. I've always thought of ppl who talk about cakewals and/or constantly harp on about it too much as wingers, sore losers and probably have double standards.

We can have a little bemoaning our own player's luck at the draw and/or path and then move on. There are no asterisks against GS winners - and winning is always deserved however the draw opens up.
This I mostly agree with (although by definition you *only* get a tough path if you have a tough draw to begin with). Take this draw, if you're a top 4 player you have to get a 5-8 player in the quarters - if that's a Williams, the draw is "hard", if that's Elena or Anna that's "easy" - there's only more or less difficult.

Kart
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Bitter? Moi?
There is no difference IMHO.

At the end of the day, you can only beat whoever is on the other side of the net. Keep doing that and you'll eventually either lose to someone better or lift the title.

terjw
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Shepster - I mostly agree with your comments. And yes you only get a tough path if you have a tough draw to start with. My central point was that pointing out an "easy" or "difficult" path or an "easy" or "difficult" draw are both fair enough until anyone harps and constantly whines about either. And in either case I think "cakewalk" is just OTT - although in a title - it's really just for effect.

If you agree on that as a general sentiment - I don't think anything else matters. I think I can understand the TS in a way was probably miffed at all the threads on Ana or Maria having cakewalk draws. But as far as I'm concerned all there is to say now is it's turned out easier for V & S. And originally it looked good for Ana. Anything over and above that is hot air..

Marshmallow
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
This thread is sickening. Yet again Maria fans have to bring Maria into general proceedings even when she isn't a factor at all. :rolleyes:

My 2 pennies would simply be that too many folks around here are fixated on stats and on match-ups on paper, but completely down play that actual events, and other pieces of information from the greater context that make up REALITY.

Sharapova had the toughest draw of all time according to Dan23 :haha:
Davenport, who should be on maternity leave and did not play well that match, Dementieva who may as well be a qualifier against Maria the way she plays (never bringing her A game), Justine... who was in RETIREMENT FORM, Jankovic who was injured and had to retire. This isn't to take away from Maria's form, but when you consider how her opponents actually played it seems ridiculous to call that the toughest draw.

I apply the same idea to the current wimbledon draw. On paper and in theory Venus and Serena have had a cakewalk, in reality their opponents have come out guns blazing. These same cake walk draw players have been good enough to trounce other top players, most noteably inflicted an absolutely crushing defeat onto your beloved Maria. She won what 5 games aaginst someone not even in the top 100. An easy staright sets loss in the second round against a a virtual nobody, IN A SLAM. Now, if you are so adamant on denigrating the quality of opposition Vee and Ree have had, you need to be sure you're willing to address the fact that one of these opponents slaughtered Maria all the way home. Which is worse? Players who haven't dropped a set against these people, or those who have taken ass beatings from them :shrug:

Most importantly, it has not been easy for the sisters, as I said before their opponents came out guns blazing. They could be said to be playing above their ranks. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez probably would have double bagelled Maria, Tammy would have reduced her to a whimpering wreck.

Shimizu Amon
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Cakewalk or no cakewalk. Fact remains you have to win 5 matches to get into the SF. Both Serena and Venus did when other high ranked players faltered. Easy as that.
I think all players who reached the SF deserves to be there. I wish them best of luck. May the best win.

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
This thread is sickening. Yet again Maria fans have to bring Maria into general proceedings even when she isn't a factor at all. :rolleyes:

My 2 pennies would simply be that too many folks around here are fixated on stats and on match-ups on paper, but completely down play that actual events, and other pieces of information from the greater context that make up REALITY.

Sharapova had the toughest draw of all time according to Dan23 :haha:
Davenport, who should be on maternity leave and did not play well that match, Dementieva who may as well be a qualifier against Maria the way she plays (never bringing her A game), Justine... who was in RETIREMENT FORM, Jankovic who was injured and had to retire. This isn't to take away from Maria's form, but when you consider how her opponents actually played it seems ridiculous to call that the toughest draw.

I apply the same idea to the current wimbledon draw. On paper and in theory Venus and Serena have had a cakewalk, in reality their opponents have come out guns blazing. These same cake walk draw players have been good enough to trounce other top players, most noteably inflicted an absolutely crushing defeat onto your beloved Maria. She won what 5 games aaginst someone not even in the top 100. An easy staright sets loss in the second round against a a virtual nobody, IN A SLAM. Now, if you are so adamant on denigrating the quality of opposition Vee and Ree have had, you need to be sure you're willing to address the fact that one of these opponents slaughtered Maria all the way home. Which is worse? Players who haven't dropped a set against these people, or those who have taken ass beatings from them :shrug:

Most importantly, it has not been easy for the sisters, as I said before their opponents came out guns blazing. They could be said to be playing above their ranks. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez probably would have double bagelled Maria, Tammy would have reduced her to a whimpering wreck.
I agree with everything you said except the bold statement. On paper, when the draw first came out, Venus and Serena didn't have a cakewalk in this current Wimbledon. Their draws opened up after the top players failed to advance.

mapaliey
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
from first i saw the draw...i really think that ivanovic have the easiest draw....but hey she lost to zheng....lol........

Marshmallow
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with everything you said except the bold statement. On paper, when the draw first came out, Venus and Serena didn't have a cakewalk in this current Wimbledon. Their draws opened up after the top players failed to advance.

I know what you mean, I just meant the draw as the tournament went on, on paper they're playing not so tough players, but those girls have come out for blood and have had to be subdued. The other top girls couldn't hack it.

serenus_2k8
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
:lol: Shit argument by bitter Maria fan :wavey:

I love how some haters are just assuming a WS has won, there is no guarantee of this at all :shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM

yea i had to agree with marsh but not that part...everyone called the draw balanced....and serena got a top 30 player in the 1st rd...bartoli in rd 4, sveta in qf and ana in sf...possibility of venus/maria in the finals....anything but cakewalk....

venus had cavaday who on paper was supposed to be easy but ended up not being as easy (but who doesn't get an easy 1st rd)...anne k in the 2nd who was on paper easy as well but was also spurred by centre court and the crowd for a set...MJMS started slow but then got to venus with the serve and volley game but she could have easily have had mirza....she could have had dani in the 4th rd but she owns dani, and instead had to play kleybanova...she tested venus for a bit at the end but it's not venus's fault she came through unscathed...qf was supposed to be jj but it's not her fault she lost to tammy who is a very good grass court player, and i believe venus would still have won that potential match...semis is lena D but could have been masha and the final between either serena/jie but could have been ana/serena/sveta....

misael
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I know what you mean, I just meant the draw as the tournament went on, on paper they're playing not so tough players, but those girls have come out for blood and have had to be subdued. The other top girls couldn't hack it.I know this board is about women players but for comparrison,
Look at Federer's draw, so far he's played the # 157, #41, #52, #20(hewitt)he's playing Mario who's
#43 for a chance to play in the semi 's to play either #75 or #53. The same thing happen to him,Guys in his section lost early, Dokovic and Ferrer and Davydenko.

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think there's a seed (especially in their current form) that would have challenged the Williams Sisters more than their actual opponents. :shrug:

Melly Flew Us
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?
your post is ridiculous - it is too late in the tournament to be bitching about draws.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Because Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, lost to tier 3 Players.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
it's not their fault the other players choked and didn't live up to their seedings.

TennisGuy21
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Serena had the toughest draw when it came out-

1st round, she played a FO quarter finalist Kanepi
2nd round, Last years Junior Champion Radwanska
3rd round, 2006 Wimbledon Champ Amelie
4th round, (was last years finalist, but she lost to a better playing) Mattek

quarters, The Eastbourne champ, and top ten player, Radwanska, who upset Maria just a year ago at USO.

Semi's- this was suppose to be Ana, its not Serena's fault she lost.

Final- 4 time wimbledon champ lingering on the other side!?

this draw was the hardest one. Bravo for not letting anything Distract your run Serena!!

LucasArg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Radwanska is seeded 14.

Is not their fault, the seeded players lost to unseeded players....

LCS
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Elena :worship: the supposed weaker of the top players stood tallest on her way to the semis! :worship: Now take out Venus :angel:

Lolo8
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
I really don't get the logic of this thread but I'll throw in my two cents any way. How can two people have it easy playing back to back singles and doubles matches? Ana goes out to a wild card, Pova gets crushed to a girl ranked in the hudreds and Jankovic goes down to a 31 year in second and third rounds. People bragged that Venus and Serena are over and these younger girls are suppose to dethrone them yet Vee and Ree are still out here doing their thing at 26 and 28 winning in doubles and singles. Sharapova, Ana and Janovic couldn't even achieve this in early round singles.Don't get upset because overhyped beauty lost out and substance and experience prevailed. Long live the Queen and Princess.

Mrs. Peel
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I really don't get the logic of this thread but I'll throw in my two cents any way. How can two people have it easy playing back to back singles and doubles matches? Ana goes out to a wild card, Pova gets crushed to a girl ranked in the hudreds and Jankovic goes down to a 31 year in second and third rounds. People bragged that Venus and Serena are over and these younger girls are suppose to dethrone them yet Vee and Ree are still out here doing their thing at 26 and 28 winning in doubles and singles. Sharapova, Ana and Janovic couldn't even achieve this in early round singles.Don't get upset because overhyped beauty lost out and substance and experience prevailed. Long live the Queen and Princess.
Agreed!

IceSkaTennisFan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Serena had the toughest draw when it came out-

1st round, she played a FO quarter finalist Kanepi
2nd round, Last years Junior Champion Radwanska
3rd round, 2006 Wimbledon Champ Amelie
4th round, (was last years finalist, but she lost to a better playing) Mattek

quarters, The Eastbourne champ, and top ten player, Radwanska, who upset Maria just a year ago at USO.

Semi's- this was suppose to be Ana, its not Serena's fault she lost.

Final- 4 time wimbledon champ lingering on the other side!?

this draw was the hardest one. Bravo for not letting anything Distract your run Serena!!
:lol: Even with the expected matches, Serena had one of the easiest draws she could have hoped for up to the Semis. Serena was in Kuznetsova's quarter, but Kuznetsova lost 6-2 6-2 in the first round of Eastborne to Wozniacki. All credit to Agniezka for wining Eastborne, but the field there was depleted and Agniezka came in to Wimbledon outside of the top 10. Kaia was the only player that Serena played before Aggie that had decent results lately. Zheng has played excellent tennis to get to the SF, but Serena couldn't have asked for an easier last match to reach the final.

gmak
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
well, it's not their fault that the top4 sucked at Wimbledon :shrug:
and Lena is not a cakewalk even on grass

but it makes Maria's AO title the most impressive this year beating 4 top-five players and Lindsay ;)

tennislover
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM

true

on the other hand it's not williams' fault if they are as strong as rocks and their main rivals :tape: were so... flimsy

canoe.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
The ones wailing that "it's not serena and Venus's fault that so and so lost to blah, blah are the biggest fuckin hypocrites! No,it isn't their fault but you would be the first assholes to get on your hind legs and rant and rave if Ana, Maria, et all got to the final and with same draw!!!

Nikkiri
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
The ones wailing that "it's not serena and Venus's fault that so and so lost to blah, blah. No, but you would be the first assholes to get on hind legs and rant and rave if Ana, Maria, et all got to the final and with same draw!!!

Lol, so true. :tape:

matty
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
It's not their fault the top players all went out-they can only control how they, themselves, play--not others. Regardless of how they got to the semi-finals (or final for Venus, so far anyway)the Williams sisters are now and will always be 2 of the greats of tennis with most likely more Grand Slam titles than Ana or Maria.

matty
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
The ones wailing that "it's not serena and Venus's fault that so and so lost to blah, blah are the biggest fuckin hypocrites! No,it isn't their fault but you would be the first assholes to get on your hind legs and rant and rave if Ana, Maria, et all got to the final and with same draw!!!

I, myself, have never once posted anything about either of those 2 getting a cake walk draw.

And how is commenting that it's "not their fault the others lost" turned into wailing?

I'm sensing a little envy and jealousy here....

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
I, myself, have never once posted anything about either of those 2 getting a cake walk draw.

And how is commenting that it's "not their fault the others lost" turned into wailing?

I'm sensing a little envy and jealousy here....
That was not a point of that post :weirdo:
That poster is saying that when it comes to WS having a cakewalk draw, then it's "because other players lost and it's not their fault!1111 YOU ARE JEALOUS!11". When it comes to Maria or Ana having cakewalks, WS fans are the first ones to say how lucky they are and how it's their fault and how their GS wins are a flukes.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
That was not a point of that post :weirdo:
That poster is saying that when it comes to WS having a cakewalk draw, then it's "because other players lost and it's not their fault!1111 YOU ARE JEALOUS!11". When it comes to Maria or Ana having cakewalks, WS fans are the first ones to say how lucky they are and how it's their fault and how their GS wins are a flukes.

no you missed the point. No when cakewalk draws are mentioned in regard to Maria and Ana, it's before play has begun, not the same as players like Ana, Maria, JJ, Kuzy, not living up to their seed.:wavey:

lizchris
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure when 32 seeds were introduced, but in 1997, Hingis faced only one top 16 player on her way to a Wimby title I believe. And at USO, it was 2 I think.

Wimbledon 2001

A'DAM
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
hahah Aga Radwanska is nb 11 of the world (14) seed @ Wimbledon

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
The intellectual dishonesty needed to draw a comparison between the WS draws this Wimbledon, and say, Maria's USO 2007 draw, is astounding.

RenaSlam.
Jul 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Here's Serena's draw...
*Kanepi
*U Radwanska
*Mauresmo (29)
*Mattek
*A Radwanska
*Zheng
One seed faced (No 29)

Here's Venus's draw...
*Cavaday (GB)
*Keothavong (GB)
*Martinez-Sanchez
*Kleybanova
*Tanasugarn
*Dementieva (5)

Is this a record?

Unfortunately, I was in Italy when you made this stupid thread.

Shut up and step, it's not their fault Maria, Ana, Jankovic sucked it up this tournament. :bounce:

Go Williams!

xan
Jul 7th, 2008, 12:59 AM
no you missed the point. No when cakewalk draws are mentioned in regard to Maria and Ana, it's before play has begun, not the same as players like Ana, Maria, JJ, Kuzy, not living up to their seed.:wavey:

It doesn't matter WHEN it happens, if a player facing no high-seeded opposition gets to a slam final, that is a cakewalk. It's LUCK,, whether its through the original draw, or people dropping out of the draw. The cakewalk is the same, and someone gets to the final without meeeting the required level of opposition.

FoxyliciousKhat
Jul 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
So the draw opened up for Venus in 2008 and people act like she NEEDED it to win.

I wonder how she won her other 4 Wimby Crowns?! Oh I think she only beat Dani, Mary Pierce, Mary and Linds to win it in '05 and Maria, Kuzzie, Ana and (well Bartoli) in '07.

And let's forget Justine in 2000 or was 2001?

And I'm not even touching Serena's wins.

Hmmm how soon do we forget.

Foxy

DaMamaJama87
Jul 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM
May I remind you that Ivanovic, Jankovic, Kuznetsova and Sharapova all lost to those players who comprised that "cakewalk" draw. :tape: :lol:

Yeah it was so easy that they all lost their matches from the giggles :rolls: