PDA

View Full Version : Best Slam Last 4 for a while?

vadin124
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
for once, I really do not mind who wins the title at the semifinal stage...

an all-Williams final would be great...as I don't care what you say, it always is exciting to see these 2 great players go head to head, as when they are both at their best they are capable of playing outstanding tennis!

Jie Zheng reaching the final or winning would be the ultimate fairytale...for the World No.133 to win Wimbledon on it's 132nd anniversary would be stunning! Zheng was a wildcard into the tournament and literally no one would have predicted such a run at this wonderful event!

For LenaD to win would also be fantastic...she would finally silence the critics and everyone who doubted her on the greatest stage in tennis of all places....When everyone seemed to lose hope she was slam material, to win Wimbledon would be a brilliant achievement

For Serena to win, she would be comparable to the great Seles with 9 slams, including 3 Wimby titles whilst the great Seles didn't manage even 1....Serena would truly put herself amongst the greats of the game if she won her first slam outside of Australia for half a decade!

For Venus to win, she would become a legend of the lawns, with only 2 people with more Wimbledons than her, and just one other with an equal tally...her name would be engraved on the trophy as many times as King, Navratilova and Graf (arguably the 3 greatest female tennis players of all time). To reach that elusive FIVE Wimbledon trophies would be magical for the elder of the Williams sisters, coming towards the twilight of her career at 28 years of age

Willam
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
maybe not best slam final 4, but as you said, its great no matter who wins, however i'd be dissapointed if isnt Dementieva!

toxina90
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah I'm happy with the final 4, all are likeable and enjoyable to watch, and despite the probability of an all Williams final, it is still unpredictable.

Venus still hasn't played her best, neither has Elena really, perhaps they will start on Thursday? I saw V struggling in some rallies against Tanasugarn, and Elena has more consistency, court coverage and pace. Could be a great match.

Also despite Serena in scary form, who knows when Zheng could produce? She has proved herself against power players already and is one of the smartest players I have seen in a while. She uses the opponents pace, which could unsettle Serena.

Either way I most want Zheng to win based on how she has done it and the fact she is a WC and I really love her game since watching her in RG against Safina. But if its a Williams final I can still look forward to a top quality scream-fest.

No top 4 = refreshing and interesting change.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Wimbledon '08: S. Williams, V. Williams, Dementieva, Zheng.

Paris '08: Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Kuznetsova.

Melbourne '08: Ivanovic, Sharapova, Hantuchova, Jankovic.

USO '07: Henin, V. Williams, Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze.

Wimbledon '07: V. Williams, Henin, Bartoli, Ivanovic.

Paris '07: Henin, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Sharapova.

Melbourne '07: S. Williams, Sharapova, Clijsters, Vaidisova.

USO '06: Henin, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Jankovic.

Tally:
Henin - 4
Sharapova - 4
Jankovic - 4
Ivanovic - 4
Kuznetsova - 2
V. Williams - 3
S. Williams - 2
Safina, Zheng, Dementieva, Clijsters, Vaidisova, Mauresmo, Bartoli, Chakvetadze, Hantuchova - 1

This is by far MY favorite last four in a slam for quite some time.

Kworb
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
This is my favorite last four since Australian Open 2002: Hingis, Seles, Capriati, Clijsters

bandabou
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Let's go Williams!!!

Dawson.
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
it would be much better if vaidisova was there instead of zheng

kfh_9118
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
perfect SF for me too.

Whoever wins I am happy, except maybe Serena, my least preference to win this tournament

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Even though I hope that Serena wins, I'm very glad to see Zheng still in there. If she were to pull a miracle and win Wimbledon -- I think it would be an incredible story, and I'd only be happy for her.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Great semis yeah !!!

Andy.
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
For me this tournament and the French Open have been the worst in ages.

hankqq
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
For me personally, I would rather have Petrova in the semis instead of Dementieva. Nothing against Dementieva, but her game doesn't do much for me. I love her forehand/movement/speed, but everything else in her game is nothing special. I don't want her to win the title.

I would prefer an all Williams final, but if Zheng somehow gets there, I won't mind too much.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Melbourne '08: Ivanovic, Sharapova, Hantuchova, Jankovic.

This is still my fave one for the past few Slams.... having 3 of your faves plus Jelena = :worship: :drool: :bounce:

AcesHigh
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
It's nice not to see the same names over and over again. This final 4 isn't anywhere near the best in quality, but I think it's a nice change.

Ryan
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
:retard: The only person I can root for of this group is Zheng. :lol: I'm indifferent about Venus and Dementieva.

xan
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Very flukish final four. Not a vintage year by any means

ASP0315
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
For me personally, I would rather have Petrova in the semis instead of Dementieva. Nothing against Dementieva, but her game doesn't do much for me. I love her forehand/movement/speed, but everything else in her game is nothing special. I don't want her to win the title.

I would prefer an all Williams final, but if Zheng somehow gets there, I won't mind too much.

i agree, i like elena as well. But i think petrova would have had a better chance beating Venus on grass.
Well i will be left to wonder how elena will be able to match up with venus's power game because one if Elena gets broken it will be very difficult for her to break back imo.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
I liked the Final 4 of Australia... Each Have had a great year, when not plagued by injury. People didnt like it because there was no Williams' sister :rolleyes:

Not really feeling this one...My fave is a wild card.

Ellery
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
:hearts: 2 great champions in Venus and Serena, another top player on the rise again (Lena) and a complete surprise in the form of WC Jie?

It`s awesome. :hearts: :hearts:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
I liked RG 04

My 3 faves in semis + an argentine with my same surname

Havok
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
One of the worst final 4 in a while for me. I'd like if Zheng wins the title. The other 3, I couldn't care less if they would have won the whole thing or bowed out in the 1r quite frankly.

Sassy-Na
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
venus or little jie to win the trophy pls :p

Havok
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Um .... are you feeling ok? The Williams sisters making it to the final 4 of WImbledon is not a fluke. If the Williamses have to show up for one event, it's WImbledon. Rarely have the sucked at this event.

The other two semifinalists, definitely.

Lefty.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:08 AM
I think actually having all my faves lose reduces stress for me while watching. :lol: I wouldn't mind if any of them won. :D If it would be an all Williams final, it would be the first I see live on TV as i've only heard about the previous ones but not watched at the time. :) I wouldn't mind either if Jie or Elena won either. :D

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:16 AM

you seriously need to get off or on something...:unsure:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
The other two semifinalists, definitely.

10K AND 25K tournaments forum where Dokic plays in is another place

Talking about fluke Wimbly semifinalists with Dokic in your avatar :rolleyes:

jbeacinu
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM

only if maria made it would make it a vintage year :rolleyes::tape:

No Name Face
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:56 AM
my favorite ever really. both of my favorite players are in it and on opposite halves. i like zheng and venus is alright.

faboozadoo15
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:00 AM
I love Dementieva, and I think Venus and Serena are great, but there has been absolutely no spark in this tourney, and there hasn't been a single good match.
Some of the best players played their worst major in years. Nobody seemed motivated.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
I love Dementieva, and I think Venus and Serena are great, but there has been absolutely no spark in this tourney, and there hasn't been a single good match.
Some of the best players played their worst major in years. Nobody seemed motivated.

I loved Peer/Safina and Ivanovic/Dechy. That's been about it though for really great matches, and even then I can see why someone would say they were bad.

Elena is motivated. :hearts:

Harvs
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
first grand slam in a while i dont really want any of the semis to win lol...

i spose i dont mind serena or vee winning, but not elena or zheng... eugh!

Julian
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I love Elena, Jie, and Venus!
Would have wanted Aga to be in it but how great is it to have the WS still in the top of the game after SO much has changed these past 5-6 years!

V-MAC
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Yeah I quite like this final 4.

Who I want to win order of preferance:
1. Venus (obviously)
2. Jie
3. Serena/Elena

kinglear
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
Yeah, it's a good mix of players that I wouldn't have expected. I'll admit, I wouldn't be as interested if Elena wasn't involved. :rolleyes: haha I actually hope if Elena gets defeated that Serena wins the title because I think she needs it more than Venus. :)

ASP0315
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:53 AM
if both sisters reach finals tommorow. i will not watch the finals.
i wouldn't mind seeing serena vs elena or zheng vs Venus or zheng vs elena finals but not williams vs williams in the finals. If they had played each other in the semis or quarters or any early rounds i would watch them.

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
I liked the Final 4 of Australia... Each Have had a great year, when not plagued by injury. People didnt like it because there was no Williams' sister :rolleyes:

Not really feeling this one...My fave is a wild card.

You are living on nostalgia.

Understandable, considering that your sweetie, Hantuchová, was one of the four.

Wojtek
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
:rolleyes:10K AND 25K tournaments forum where Dokic plays in is another place

Talking about fluke Wimbly semifinalists with Dokic in your avatar :rolleyes:

Grea try but why you bring Dokic here? You don't have argument or maybe it's too hard for you to fing something

evibizzy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Dementieva winning would be a travesty and would mean epic choking took place from the other three semi-finalists. The only way I would have been 100% satisfied with this lineup is if Peer had come through. I don't like Serena, but I'd respect her victory. The only way I'm happy is if Venus (slight preference) or Zheng win, probably somethig like this:

1 - Venus
1.0001 - Zheng
|
|
|
50 - Serena
|
|
|
|
|
Grand Canyon
|
|
|
|
|
|
Milky Way
|
|
|
|
|
|
329470536466345565435345344534^(233544323544423533 3554233554323545323545!*) - Dementieva

*Factorial

Xanadu11
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
I would seriously be happen if anyone of them one. I probably am rooting for Elena a little more, because it would just be crazy if she could win her first slam at wimbledon. Likely having to beat both Williams sisters. Zheng would just be brilliant and not a fluke at all because she would have beat no.1 and two other top tenners and 2 others in the top 20. I mean the rest of the girls havn't even played anyone in the top ten yet (not their fault) and very few in the top 20 (I think Serena might be the only one).

I'm so excited about the womens semi's!

Langers
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
for once, I really do not mind who wins the title at the semifinal stage...

an all-Williams final would be great...as I don't care what you say, it always is exciting to see these 2 great players go head to head, as when they are both at their best they are capable of playing outstanding tennis!

Jie Zheng reaching the final or winning would be the ultimate fairytale...for the World No.133 to win Wimbledon on it's 132nd anniversary would be stunning! Zheng was a wildcard into the tournament and literally no one would have predicted such a run at this wonderful event!

For LenaD to win would also be fantastic...she would finally silence the critics and everyone who doubted her on the greatest stage in tennis of all places....When everyone seemed to lose hope she was slam material, to win Wimbledon would be a brilliant achievement

For Serena to win, she would be comparable to the great Seles with 9 slams, including 3 Wimby titles whilst the great Seles didn't manage even 1....Serena would truly put herself amongst the greats of the game if she won her first slam outside of Australia for half a decade!

For Venus to win, she would become a legend of the lawns, with only 2 people with more Wimbledons than her, and just one other with an equal tally...her name would be engraved on the trophy as many times as King, Navratilova and Graf (arguably the 3 greatest female tennis players of all time). To reach that elusive FIVE Wimbledon trophies would be magical for the elder of the Williams sisters, coming towards the twilight of her career at 28 years of age
Yay for you. :rolleyes:

Worst final 4 ever. Dementieva probably saves that from happening but it's still close.

Sander.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Ao 2008

acetoace
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM

Really? Wow! Your statement confirms to me nothing is "fool proof" in this world. Seriously, did u say "Flukish"? Well, not like I'm surprised given what your avatar represents.

Jealousy, no doubt!! Talk of sour losers!! The same "Flukish final four" were the players that disgraced the "phony top seeds" in this tournament and the boney-ass player in your avatar being a casualty herself.

If the remaing 4 are "Flukish", what then is pova who got schooled by a player ranked outside of 100 in 2 round? Is "overrated" the right word here?

Pova's win since 2004 has been proven over time to be a "genuine fluke". Feels good to know the copycat player is on the sidelines now watching the best in the game display skills she can only dream of for the rest of her career.:bounce:

Lefty.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Really? Wow! Your statement confirms to me nothing is "fool proof" in this world. Seriously, did u say "Flukish"? Well, not like I'm surprised given what your avatar represents.

Jealousy, no doubt!! Talk of sour losers!! The same "Flukish final four" were the players that disgraced the "phony top seeds" in this tournament and the boney-ass player in your avatar being a casualty herself.

If the remaing 4 are "Flukish", what then is pova who got schooled by a player ranked outside of 100 in 2 round? Is "overrated" the right word here?

Pova's win since 2004 has been proven over time to be a "genuine fluke". Feels good to know the copycat player is on the sidelines now watching the best in the game display skills she can only dream of for the rest of her career.:bounce:

So three slams are flukish? :o

Helovestennis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
With Zhengjie in the list, everything seems wonderful. Just miss Justin Henin a little!

vadin124
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
So three slams are flukish? :o

the fact she won Wimbledon was flukish, as she is VERY overrated on grass

Adal
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
My fave one would be AO 2008 for obvious reasons :)

WIMBLY2004
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM

Following your logic, it's not as flukish as Serena's win in RG.

Adal
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
2 SFs after her win don't tell anything to you? What about another 2 grass court titles? Oh well ;)

vadin124
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
2 SFs after her win don't tell anything to you? What about another 2 grass court titles? Oh well ;)

Yes her other 2 grass court titles came at Birmingham, a Tier 3...

other than her FLUKEY Wimbledon in 2004, the only top 10 players Sharapova has beaten on grass are Dementievaand Petrova...her run to the Semi's in 05 and 06 were down to the fact she drew Petrova and Dementieva in the quarters, neither of whom are at all anything more than slightly better than average grass-court players (oh yes I forget to mention how Sharapova this year lost to the world No.154 whilst salvaging only 6 games...any respectable grass court player would NEVER lose in such a manor) It's not even as if Alla came into Wimby with any form...she had lost the week previously to super-slumping Bammer and the week before that to useless ball-bashing brit Katie O'Brien...

as for Birmingham, in her 2 title runs she beat a sum total of 3 top 20 players...all of whom ranked either 19 or 20...her other victory over a top 20 player at Wimbledon was over No.15 Dementieva, which was swiftly followed by a loss to Asagoe!

i'm sorry but Kateryna Bondarenko is the defending Birmingham champion, and just because you have a couple of Tier 3's on grass does not make you a great grass court player by any stretch of the imagination

in conclusion, Maria Sharapova IS OVERRATED on grass, and is unlikely to ever taste success on the lawns of the All England Club ever again...unless superior grass court protagonists such as Venus, Serena, Jankovic, Mauresmo and Lindsay retire

Adal
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Yes her other 2 grass court titles came at Birmingham, a Tier 3...

other than her FLUKEY Wimbledon in 2004, the only top 10 players Sharapova has beaten on grass are Dementievaand Petrova...her run to the Semi's in 05 and 06 were down to the fact she drew Petrova and Dementieva in the quarters, neither of whom are at all anything more than slightly better than average grass-court players (oh yes I forget to mention how Sharapova this year lost to the world No.154 whilst salvaging only 6 games...any respectable grass court player would NEVER lose in such a manor) It's not even as if Alla came into Wimby with any form...she had lost the week previously to super-slumping Bammer and the week before that to useless ball-bashing brit Katie O'Brien...

as for Birmingham, in her 2 title runs she beat a sum total of 3 top 20 players...all of whom ranked either 19 or 20...her other victory over a top 20 player at Wimbledon was over No.15 Dementieva, which was swiftly followed by a loss to Asagoe!

i'm sorry but Kateryna Bondarenko is the defending Birmingham champion, and just because you have a couple of Tier 3's on grass does not make you a great grass court player by any stretch of the imagination

in conclusion, Maria Sharapova IS OVERRATED on grass, and is unlikely to ever taste success on the lawns of the All England Club ever again...unless superior grass court protagonists such as Venus, Serena, Jankovic, Mauresmo and Lindsay retire
Oh my :o So following your logic, she has to win it again many times to prove that it wasn't a fluke? Then probably like 50% of GS wins were a fluke.
And Maria already has wins over Jankovic, Lindsay and Serena on grass. I still don't know how Jankovic got into your list of an amazing grass court players.
1 Win + 2 SF + 2 titles (and considering how short grass court season actually is) - isn't overrated. You can have your own opinion on her, but that won't change any of her results.
Not to mention she has had one of the longest grass-court streaks too ;)

Huntress55
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
For me its been one of the worst. I mean its been great seeing upsets, but most of them have been against my favourites :( And the chance of an all Williams final really upsets me :(

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
For me its been one of the worst. I mean its been great seeing upsets, but most of them have been against my favourites :( And the chance of an all Williams final really upsets me :(

Exactly. It's great if you like the players left, it sucks when you don't and it's my situation.

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
329470536466345565435345344534^(233544323544423533 3554233554323545323545!*) - Dementieva

*Factorial

You like big numbers. I understand that for you the number you wrote is an equivalent of infinty.

An even bigger number that takes far less space to write is

Temperenka
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
To the Bartoli fan: Maria is overrated on grass as was the 2004 Wimbeldon?!? I think I remember that she beat Lindsay and Serena(who were/are both great on grass)

I'd say the 2007 Wimbeldon and Bartoli are much more overrated..