PDA

View Full Version : Serena admits to scouting Venus in her match against Tammy

LeRoy.
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2008-07-01/200807011214935452282.html

Articles

Sisterly talk occupies Serena

Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Written by Kate Battersby
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_01_swilliams_11_epa_v_donev.jpg (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/2008-07-01/200807011214928649593.html)
Serena cools off (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/2008-07-01/200807011214928649593.html)

©EPA / V. Donev

Seventeen to one. That was the ratio of press conference questions put to Serena Williams on the subject of (a) her sister Venus, whom she will face in the final if both win their semis as opposed to (b) Zheng Jie, whom Serena will definitely play in the semi-finals.

Over and over again, Serena repeated that her job is to stay focused on her next opponent. But it does seem that a lot of people are certain 2008 will provide the first all-Williams final here since 2003, and that's all they want to talk about.

"I surely hope that one way or another the name Williams will be on the trophy this year," agreed Serena. "I've got to say that I believe so. I'm just fighting to win my next match.
"I've been watching her [Zheng Jie] play. She's doing a fabulous job and I don't think it's luck, her doing so well. I think she's a really good player. I'm definitely not going to underestimate her. I'll try to fight, do the best I can."

And that was about it on the subject of the Chinese opponent – and maybe Serena feels the same as those already planning for an all-Williams final. She let slip that she had made a point of watching some of her sister's quarter-final win over Tamarine Tanasugarn today in order to "check out the competition".
"You scout your opponent, and she's an opponent," explained Serena. "When I play her I sometimes have some sense of knowing what her next move is but it's because I've practised against her so much. I know her game and I know what's going on.

"I feel like I deserve this because I don't think anyone has been working harder than me, except for maybe Venus. That girl works even harder than I do. But I feel like it's about time."
That 2003 final saw Serena emerge victorious. It was her sixth Slam title, since when she has taken two more. That five-year gap since her last Wimbledon win is beginning to feel like a long time to the 26-year-old.

"Time flies," she acknowledged. "I feel like 2001 [when Venus won her second title] was just two years ago, but it wasn't. I always expect the best. My target is obviously to be the best in my sport."
Invited to agree with the bookmakers that Venus is now favourite to hold on to her title here, Serena showed her competitive streak.

"I would never sit here and say she's the favourite while I'm still the draw," she said indignantly. "What are you on? That's not me. Even when I'm not the favourite, I'm always going to believe that I am. I always believe I can win."

No wonder, then, that she agreed she shows her competitive streak more readily than her older sister.
"I'm definitely more expressive about it," she said. "Venus is more low-key, whereas I'm more out there."
So what will it be like in the flat they are sharing throughout the tournament, if come Saturday it is, as they hope, another all-Williams final?

"I'm going to sabotage her," promised Serena with a smile. "I'm going to eat all the cereal so she doesn't have a chance." Then, perhaps remembering her pledge that she is focused only on her next match, she added: "If we get that far."

ladydiana
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
She's suppose to scout Venus. Venus is her competitor. And quiet as it's kept, Venus was scouting Serena today as well. That's why she wasn't at Serena's game.

Dodoboy.
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
I am actually very worried for Venus!

Serena in her interview seemed insulted that somebody would say Venus was the favourite to win and now this.

It's going to be very competitive if we get an all WS final!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
:lol: Thats cute :p.

mapaliey
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
come on serena take the title......

joćo.
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
"I feel like I deserve this because I don't think anyone has been working harder than me, except for maybe Venus. That girl works even harder than I do. But I feel like it's about time."

Well, I doubt she's been following all the other players' work so far. :weirdo:
Anyway, i guess it was a nice article. :)

ladydiana
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:47 PM
I am actually very worried for Venus!

Don't be worried for Venus. Like Mary Carillo stated today that Venus looks fine and there's nothing wrong with her leg.

In terms of Serena's match as opposed to Venus. They were playing two different type of opponents who played different games.

Venus said that Tana hits all of her balls very low with slice so the go away from the opponent. So she had to adjust her body to accomodate the very very low balls she was receiving.

Even ESPN showed just how much lower Tana's balls were against Venus. They were just barely above her knees and out of her strike zone.

But even with that, if you look at Venus' stats, they are not that much different with Serena's with regards to the amount of aces and the average first serve. And Serena's first service percentage was high because Radwanska didn't have any weapons to test her.

So when it comes to opponents, it's not about the final score. It's about how the opponent played. And Tana was playing Venus aggressively and hitting very low balls with slices that directed the balls away from Venus.

And even with that strategy, Venus still managed to win in 2 sets and with ease just like Serena. Venus wasn't struggling. Tana just was able to win a few more games than normal.

Denise4925
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
:lol: That's so cute. I hope they both make it to Saturday.

Tennisstar86
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
lol she still gotta scout after 25 years with the girl... silly Serena....

bandabou
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
well, well..Serena getting antsy! Nice, nice! Bring the finals!

RVD
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
lol she still gotta scout after 25 years with the girl... silly Serena....Serena has often stated throughout the years that Venus doen't show her everything; which is why Serena used to get beaten often in their earlier meetings.
I guess only Williams fans knew this.

That said, Serena's serious and that's GREAT!!
I want her to win this soooooo bad!

GET HER RENA!! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/boxing_smiley.gif

hacberto
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Serena is always so funny.
"I'm going to sabotage her" lol

Good Luck Serena in the semis
Bring it on thursdat baby you can do it!!!

WF4EVER
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Scouting what? Serena's a damn liar. So when she was at her first round match she was scouting her, too? Give me a break. Serena and Venus practice together, play doubles together, eat, sleep, shit..... So what scouting could she possibly have to do. Please.

Dave.
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Eat all the cereal Serena! :rocker2:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
Fully convinced Serena needs psychological assistance , but I still love her.

bandabou
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM
She's serious. Was really offended by the reporter. Wasn't play-acting.

maddogz48
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Scouting what? Serena's a damn liar. So when she was at her first round match she was scouting her, too? Give me a break. Serena and Venus practice together, play doubles together, eat, sleep, shit..... So what scouting could she possibly have to do. Please.

:lol: that's true. Serena has to tell the press something and give them something to talk about.
Serena & Venus should know each others games by heart at this point.

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
"I would never sit here and say she's the favourite while I'm still the draw," she said indignantly. "What are you on? That's not me. Even when I'm not the favourite, I'm always going to believe that I am. I always believe I can win."

:haha::spit:

Kworb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I didn't get that from the interview. By "watching the competition" she just meant watching others play who are still in the draw.

And she said their doubles instinct is more about knowing how the other plays (scouting) rather than some invisible mental link. She wasn't scouting Venus at her match. :rolleyes:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Serena was pissed when the reporter said Venus was the favourite.

The look in her eyes said it all. I really hope they do both get to the final. I would love to see Serena annihilate Venus.

Stamp Paid
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Ooooh this is why I love Serena. :hearts: Separate sex with emotion, she is just another opponent. She better follow through though.

harloo
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
It's no doubt Serena is confident but Venus on grass is a tall order. I really feel that deep down Venus wants revenge for 2003. If it does happen the match will be very interesting.:lol: Serena needs to be ready.

Stamp Paid
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Oop..what did Rena mean when she said this

Q. Does it hurt you more to lose to Venus than to others, or does it hurt less?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It definitely hurts less to lose to her. I mean, I'll be bitter, but at the end of the day it's a lot easier losing to someone that I feel I should normally beat.

Apoleb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM

SERENA WILLIAMS: It definitely hurts less to lose to her. I mean, I'll be bitter, but at the end of the day it's a lot easier losing to someone that I feel I should normally beat.

:haha:

Basically it means that she thinks she should normally beat any player besides her sister.

edit: OH WAIT. it's the other way. It means she thinks she should normally beat her sister. Even funnier.

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM

OMG:tape::lol:

spiritedenergy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:11 AM

Basically it means that she thinks she should normally beat any player besides her sister.

well no, it seems she states the opposite.

Stamp Paid
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:11 AM

Basically it means that she thinks she should normally beat any player besides her sister.:devil:

Apoleb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM
well no, it seems she states the opposite.

Yes, yes. Corrected. That's freakin hilarious. I hope she meant it that way.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM

:haha: I love it! :drool:

Tennisstar86
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
Serena was pissed when the reporter said Venus was the favourite.

The look in her eyes said it all. I really hope they do both get to the final. I would love to see Serena annihilate Venus.

careful what you wish for.... Exact opposite could end up happening.... Im really excited a final between them could be REALLY exciting...for once i hope....

Kworb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:31 AM

Hm I think it's obvious she meant it's easier than losing to someone she feels she should beat.

Tennisstar86
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Hm I think it's obvious she meant it's easier than losing to someone she feels she should beat.

WHAT?!?!?! Kworb actually understanding the meaning of something and not trying to spin it into a big deal?!?!