PDA

View Full Version : Ivanovic's serve is way off

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Her feet, her toss...something isn't right with it. Might be the wind.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't think she is comfortable on the grass. Besides, I never liked her new serve. I liked the 2005 motion one.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If Ivanovic loses, this will be one of the softest quarters ever.
Chakvetadze might be in the Wimbledon semis.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Are you a fucking idiot, Goldenlox? Anna Chakvetadze can lose to even Brie Whitehead on grass and clay. Some new girl will be making their first semi if anything.

Uranium
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
If Ivanovic loses, this will be one of the softest quarters ever.
Chakvetadze might be in the Wimbledon semis.

ooo dear God save us all and have Anna lose today:o

I think Szavay could go deep:p

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
ooo dear God save us all and have Anna lose today:o

I think Szavay could go deep:p

Fakeness Szavay isn't going anywhere on grass. She couldn't even capitalize on clay.

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Ivanovic's backhand isn't good enough to win here.

Uranium
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Dechy's best surface is grass,she's made a lot of 4th rounds at Wimbledon, so Ana needs to pick up her play

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
In this quarter, either Chakvetadze, Gallovits, Rodina or Vesnina will be in the 4th round.
There are no contenders besides Ana in this quarter.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Ivanovic's backhand isn't good enough to win here.

It's not necessarily her backhand. She can bang away those high forehand sitters that Dechy is throwing all day, but I think when she has to bend low consistently and she is getting pressed to the forehand with some low skidding flat shots with pace on grass she won't be able to get anything going. She'll go the way of Mary Pierce at Wimbledon methinks.

Her movement on this surface is also suspect. Grass is giving everyone a little extra pop on their shots meaning Ivanovic doesn't have the recovery luxury of clay.

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Could be a disasterous day for the Serbs as Djokovic lost the first set to Safin.

Ivanovic down 0-4 in the tiebreak...she looks all out of sorts.

Uranium
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Imagine if Dechy makes her second Slam semi:hearts:

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Imagine if Dechy makes her second Slam semi:hearts:

Nathalie :hearts: Let's go take her out and soften Winnerena's draw.

Ivanovic N1 my ass. Everyone should have known she still isn't consistent.

Mchstnate
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Ana is just letting her frustration get to her head now and its messin up her game...

Nicely Done!!! Go Dechy!

Shoulderpova
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Ana is NOT losing:shrug: she'll take the next two sets quite easily :shrug:
But she'll lose to Serena in semis :)

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Dellaqua might make the semis.
This quarter is amazing, if Ana loses another set

Chance
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
In this quarter, either Chakvetadze, Gallovits, Rodina or Vesnina will be in the 4th round.
There are no contenders besides Ana in this quarter.

You forgot Nicole.
But you guys are jumping the gun.... it's too early to write Ana off.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I don't know why people expected Ivanovic to do well on grass this year.

She's not good on this surface, but I didn't expect this.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Has Ana's backhand always been this pedestrian? I am suprise how uneffective it is.

Miss Amor
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
can dechy not choke and win the second set?

Mashafaaaaan
Ana is NOT losing:shrug: she'll take the next two sets quite easily :shrug:
But she'll lose to Serena in semis :)

One thing is sure, she won't win Wimbledon.

Marshmallow
It's all ivanovic out there. She looks so lifeless/lethargic. Maybe it her womanly time of the month! :shrug: Or maybe she feels so bad for sending Jelena to rehab the past 2 weeks, she suffering some kind of depression and self subotaging.

She trying a bit more now tho... maybe.

Apoleb
Dechet is winning. :(

Uranium
You forgot Nicole.

if Nicole or Anna make the semis, I will never watch tennis again, it will be the death of tennis to me, worse than maria winning another slam. They both suck and are inconsistent and don't deserve another slam semi:o
Dellacqua, i like her, but I think she'll choke, Dechy is experienced having made a slam semi before, come on Nathalie!

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Her backhand and the way she handles low skidding balls to her forehand is just horrible. Let alone her movement. :wavey:, Ana.

Uranium
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Has Ana's backhand always been this pedestrian? I am suprise how uneffective it is.

it actually is better than it was last year:tape:

joćo.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Dechy ;)
Ana :o

I think Ana will win in 3 now tho. :x
Anyway, GL to both and hopefully we will have more points like the first one of the 2dn set, per example. ;)

mckyle.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I don't know why people expected Ivanovic to do well on grass this year.

She's not good on this surface, but I didn't expect this.

I agree that grass just isn't her thing. On clay and hard courts, every thing is just so smooth, but something about grass just throws her off. Maybe she doesn't get down low enough, or the ball doesn't bounce high enough into her sweet spot so she can blast the forehand.

Miss Amor
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
if ana loses here will we have a new no.1?

Mikey.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Dellaqua might make the semis.
This quarter is amazing, if Ana loses another set

:rocker2:

You forgot Nicole.

Casey should take care of her :drool::lick:

RenaSlam.
if ana loses here will we have a new no.1?

Yes.

Jarrett
I think Ana needs to add speakers to her shoes so she can squeak on grass IMO.

Mchstnate
She definately isn't out...especially with the comeback on Hantuchova at the Aussie Open, she says being down

compels her to do better.

anon57
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
It not just the serve that's off, everything is just slightly off and Dechy is playing well

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I agree that grass just isn't her thing. On clay and hard courts, every thing is just so smooth, but something about grass just throws her off. Maybe she doesn't get down low enough, or the ball doesn't bounce high enough into her sweet spot so she can blast the forehand.

It's your last sentence 95% of the problem. If someone that hits flat ala Venus or Lindsay just hammers her forehand on grass, it will break down mid 1st set. Her movement is horrible and it is exacerbated on grass because it is very hard to recover, and she isn't known for her defense to begin. Her backhand is well.. everyone knows the problems of her backhand.

I was surprised she made the SF last year, but she beat Nicole who is another hot mess on grass.

Marshmallow
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
She's waking up, she should take this match now. I can't for the life of me see why people saying she can't play on grass :rolleyes: ... Isn't she a former wimbledon finalist, last years semi-finalist. She just playing bad.

Nikkiri
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Her serve isn't the only thing :o

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
She's waking up, she should take this match now. I can't for the life of me see why people saying she can't play on grass :rolleyes: ... Isn't she a former wimbledon finalist, last years semi-finalist. She just playing bad.

Lindsay Davenport made the SF of RG once. According to your logic, Lindsay's clay court skills cannot be questioned.

Beat
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
please go to the live scoring thread, thank you, because:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=214492

ilovethewilliams
ivanovic will will wimbledon

RenaSlam.

Semifinalist. She should have lost to Nicole in the QF as Nicole had match pts.

Bruno71
If anyone seriously thinks Ana's losing this match, they're smokin' somethin'.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
If she gets thru today, she should make the semis.
If she doesn't, the others have an incredible opportunity.
A player like Rodina can come thru this quarter without Ivanovic. Anyone in it has a chance
Dechy isn't a great finisher. So Ivanovic is very much alive.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Damnit, Nathalie, play to her fucking BACKHAND.

Marshmallow
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Semifinalist. She should have lost to Nicole in the QF as Nicole had match pts.

I meant to say JUNIOR wimbledon finalist, I think she was, not sure. She should have never gotten to be Match points down against Nicole IMO, she was playing pretty badly and said so herself.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I meant to say JUNIOR wimbledon finalist, I think she was, not sure. She should have never gotten to be Match points down against Nicole IMO, she was playing pretty badly and said so herself.

Both of them are horrible on grass so who cares?

Marshmallow
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Lindsay Davenport made the SF of RG once. According to your logic, Lindsay's clay court skills cannot be questioned.

No that wasn't my logic I just thought the comments were so ridiculous I could be bothered to explain. Her game = Big serve, big groundies and reasonable movement. These days that's all you need to win on grass, Lindsay being perfect example. Her game isn't incompatible with grass, and the results I mentioned could be taken as proof.

Patty schnyder and some other clay courters are useless on grass, not Ana.

:)

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
No that wasn't my logic I just thought the comments were so ridiculous I could be bothered to explain. Her game = Big serve, big groundies and reasonable movement. These days that's all you need to win on grass, Lindsay being perfect example. Her game isn't incompatible with grass, and the results I mentioned could be taken as proof.

Lindsay hits well off both sides, so movement isn't as necessary for her. Ditto Maria, although she definitely has better defense than Lindsay.

Ivanovic's backhand is a shot people can attack on grass, for either she doesn't swing through it so it goes into the net or they can pound it until they get a short ball.

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM

How do you explain Mary Pierce, Marat Safin, and even to a lesser extent Agassi, etc. Hell, even Seles. Not all big serving, heavy hitters will achieve grass success. Some people prefer a truer and more consistent bounce. You're too dense.

Anyways.

Shimizu Amon
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Is there an upset in the air?

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Meanwhile, Marat leads Djokovic 7-6, 6-6 (5-1 in the tiebreak) on Centre Court

Serenidad.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Meanwhile, Marat leads Djokovic 7-6, 6-6 (5-1 in the tiebreak) on Centre Court

There is a lot of sexiness on CC. :hearts:

RenaSlam.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Marat two sets to love up.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Now if Ana has a bad game, she's in huge trouble.
This is an exciting day

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Unbelievable, mp fluke

Chance
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM
if Nicole or Anna make the semis, I will never watch tennis again, it will be the death of tennis to me, worse than maria winning another slam. They both suck and are inconsistent and don't deserve another slam semi:o
Dellacqua, i like her, but I think she'll choke, Dechy is experienced having made a slam semi before, come on Nathalie!
Are you serious?
I guess you weren't happy last year.
I would like to see Ana remain no.1 a lil longer....

Slutati
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
mp fluke:spit:

Shimizu Amon
Jun 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Guess no upset today...

Marshmallow
Jun 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
How do you explain Mary Pierce, Marat Safin, and even to a lesser extent Agassi, etc. Hell, even Seles. Not all big serving, heavy hitters will achieve grass success. Some people prefer a truer and more consistent bounce. You're too dense.

Anyways.

Clearly this isn't about archtypes, because you could have added Mara santangelo to that list. The point was, big groundies and a big serve are major weapons and Ana has these. Why players like Safin and Pierce haven't done well on grass, that's not totally explained by the type of bounce. definitely Safin should probably have done better than he has, but has belief problems. You don't get within a point of beating Federer on grass (In Halle) if you can't play on grass and can't trust the bounce. Both Pierce and Safin are head cases. There are other reasons.

But this is about Ivanovic. I don't think the bounce is the issue, I just don't buy that in her case. She can handle inconsistent bounces which are typical on clay, and has enough variety in her game to adjust. Her backhand also isn't the liability it was, there no good reason why she can't do well on grass.

Marshmallow
Jun 25th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Marat Safin won :bounce: Djoke out :woohoo:

Mightymirza
Jun 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I agree the serve looked weird even at RG final..the toss is way to the right many times! Its miraculous how she slices it to the Bh many times with that toss..