PDA

View Full Version : Jankovic would like to win Wimbledon more than any other Grand Slam

Dawson.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7467599.stm

i thought she was a Roland Garros girl myslef

Serenidad.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
She'll never win on the grass.

Hashim.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
She'll never win on the grass.

she already did win on the grass:)

hacberto
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
I think it's every tennis player dream
She's pretty nice and plays good but to be honest I don't think she'll win it maybe in a couple of years with a good serve and a greater forehand. I think she'll have to work a lot harder than the top players to someday win it.

elise1986
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
unfortunately grass suits her game less than any other surface

maya-serbia
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Gooooo Jelena!!

Dodoboy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
It should be every tennis player's dream!

Wimbledon rocks - it is definitely the best place to get that FIRST slam (Hingis, Maria and Vee come to mind)

RenaSlam.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Going to be the hardest one for her to win.

Dave.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
She just has to me more aggressive and take more chances and she can easily go deep into this draw. I think she has the capacity to hit the required big shots (especially that backhand dtl) it's just she seems to go in a passive mode when under pressure.

Wimbledon rocks - it is definitely the best place to get that FIRST slam (Hingis, Maria and Vee come to mind)

Venus' first slam was the 98 Aussie Open mixed ;)

Dodoboy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Shup dave :p

Emina.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
you can do it JJ ;)

améliemomo
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Yes and thats why she will drew another big heart on her arm and write "I LOVE WIMBLY" or something like "WIMBLY MARRY ME":o

Uranium
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
she hasn't made it past the 4th round, but wants to win it:tape:

Marshmallow
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
It's unsuprising, Wimbledon is the most pretigious! It is THEE slam to win. Players might want to win their home slams, but be sure a wimbledon title probably means as much or qualitatively more.

Just glad Venus has done it 4 times :bowdown:, and Amelie and Serena have had a taste of success there!

hingis-seles
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
She's really underrated on grass. I wouldn't be surprised if she won it.

Slutati
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Good luck, JJ:kiss:

woosey
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
i would like a lot of things too.

AlwaysGraf
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I guess Wimbledon was her first slam last year,
but I hope she wins it this year-I would like to see her get a reception in belgrade like Djokovic and Ivanovic have had :)

Plus she would truly be a first, as in Seles had the Aus and French already for Former Yugoslavia, but then she didn't get Wimbledon and Jelena could be the first to do that. I want her to win

Vlover
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM

I would be shocked if she wins :eek: It is not impossible but she would have to rely on the big hitters from the qrts to finals all playing like shit and she playing great. It is highly unlikely that a mostly defensive game is going to allow you to win Wimbledon in singles against offensive players unless they give you loads of free points.

Il Primo!
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM

:worship:

VeeJJ
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I would be shocked if she wins :eek: It is not impossible but she would have to rely on the big hitters from the qrts to finals all playing like shit and she playing great. It is highly unlikely that a mostly defensive game is going to allow you to win Wimbledon in singles against offensive players unless they give you loads of free points.

remeber that she has beaten both Venus and Sharapova on grass so she'll probaly have confidence when playing themand she also beat venus when she was the defending champion. I say if she beats Venus then she'll win it cuz she'll be so hyped that she beat the defending champ again.

Emina.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
I guess Wimbledon was her first slam last year,
but I hope she wins it this year-I would like to see her get a reception in belgrade like Djokovic and Ivanovic have had :)

Plus she would truly be a first, as in Seles had the Aus and French already for Former Yugoslavia, but then she didn't get Wimbledon and Jelena could be the first to do that. I want her to win

:worship:

vadin124
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM

Hingis first grand slam was the Australian Open :rolleyes:

Vlover
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
remeber that she has beaten both Venus and Sharapova on grass so she'll probaly have confidence when playing themand she also beat venus when she was the defending champion. I say if she beats Venus then she'll win it cuz she'll be so hyped that she beat the defending champ again.

Yes, I do admit she can win if she gets loads of free points. Let's be honest Jelena wouldn't win without the sloppy play of Venus. The matches are usually in Venus' hands. In any case, don't forget when Venus gave her the match (which she said is her biggest win ever) she lost in the next round which was such a big waste of opportunity on Venus' part.:o

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Keep dreamin':rolleyes:

blumaroo
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'll be rooting for her.
It isn't that unlikely that she will win. She changes the direction of the ball better than almost anyone out there and grass gives her extra zip on her shots. Which allows her to finish points with her forehand (her bh down the line is deadly on any surface anyways).
I don't think her serve is a problem on grass. Her first serve when she goes for it isn't that bad (high percentage with decent placement around 160KM/h). And she can still rely on breaking her opponents serve because the surface isn't as fast as it used to be. Taking into account her exquisite movement as well and you've got yourself a serious contender. Intangibles aside, she should have a much bigger chance than Ivanovic. If Nadal and Bartoli can reach a final then Jankovic can too. I don't think she will win it this year though.

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
she hasn't made it past the 4th round, but wants to win it:tape:

I guess Ana Ivanovic should never hope to win the US Open then either :tape::tape::tape::tape::tape::tape:!!!!!1111

John.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think she'll win it. It suits her game less than the other surfaces.

That said, I hope she can go deep in the draw.

young_gunner913
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'd like to win wimbledon more than any other slam too. :p

shirley
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
It would be nice to see Jelena win Wimbledon...her first slam, someone new winning.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
If Marion can reach the final, why Jelena couldn't win it?:p

дalex
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Yes, I do admit she can win if she gets loads of free points. Let's be honest Jelena wouldn't win without the sloppy play of Venus. The matches are usually in Venus' hands. In any case, don't forget when Venus gave her the match (which she said is her biggest win ever) she lost in the next round which was such a big waste of opportunity on Venus' part.:o

"Sloppy play of Venus" can also be a result of JJ's superb defense, you know. And it's not like JJ doesn't play offensive game but there are few of the top players who are able to overpower her. She wouldn't be at the top if she was only a defensive player. :shrug:
And no, I'm not really saying JJ will win Wimbledon this year but it could happen. We'll see how she'll play, she's definitely not a favorite to win it but stranger things have happened than #2 player winning Wimbledon...

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
"Sloppy play of Venus" can also be a result of JJ's superb defense, you know. And it's not like JJ doesn't play offensive game but there are few of the top players who are able to overpower her. She wouldn't be at the top if she was only a defensive player. :shrug:
And no, I'm not really saying JJ will win Wimbledon this year but it could happen. We'll see how she'll play, she's definitely not a favorite to win it but stranger things have happened than #2 player winning Wimbledon...

To be honest, JJ could beat Venus 10 times and certain people wouldn't give her credit for those wins. Remember, according to Venus, JJ is "a very good player - nothing super" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/22/stvenu122.xml), so she's basically lost to a hack 4 times already.

Destiny
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM

Definitely agree with you;)

Destiny
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM

Definitely agree:worship:

Vlover
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE]Bruno71 JJ could beat Venus 10 times and certain people wouldn't give her credit for those wins. Remember, according to Venus, JJ is "a very good player - nothing super"

I totally agree with Venus. Yes she does beat Venus a few times but so does Panetta. I honestly think that the outcome of their matches depend on how well Venus is playing. If Venus plays well Jelena doesn't stand a chance but if Vee is off Jelena will win just like many others therefore what other credit does she deserve. I'm not saying or implying that Jelena can't beat Venus but from my observation I'm not convinced that she is capable if Vee is playing well. In any case Jelena first needs to get to a slam final before she can even be considered to be in Venus' league.

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
[quote]

I totally agree with Venus. Yes she does beat Venus a few times but so does Panetta. I honestly think that the outcome of their matches depend on how well Venus is playing. If Venus plays well Jelena doesn't stand a chance but if Vee is off Jelena will win just like many others therefore what other credit does she deserve. I'm not saying or implying that Jelena can't beat Venus but from my observation I'm not convinced that she is capable if Vee is playing well. In any case Jelena first needs to get to a slam final before she can even be considered to be in Venus' league.

I might agree with you off clay, but on clay, Jelena is the superior player.

дalex
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM

1. Jelena is not like "many others" - she has reached career high #2 ranking which is not something "many others" achieve.
2. Jelena won't be nowhere near Venus' league until she wins a GS (not even when she "gets to a GS final"). That still doesn't mean JJ can't beat her. No matter how Venus plays if she loses that means she was beaten by a better player on the day.

Vlover
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Preferring to build the points and use creative shot-making to pull the trigger, doesn't equate to defensive or negative play.

I beg to differ. Constantly chasing down balls, just returning them and hope that your opponent miss is not my definition of creative shot making. Taking the initiative to be aggressive and creating winners all over the court is far more appealing to me. I am in no way suggesting that Jelena's Style is negative I'm just pointing out that players with a more aggressive playing style are more successful especially at the majors.

starin
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Not sure about that, maybe once upon a time.

If you spoke to the majority of top women and men, the abbreviated grass-court season these days is a chore to be endured.

As far as I am concerned all four Slams are equally prestigious.

only players who are terrible on grass don't want to win Wimbledon and think it's a chore. I still think most players would love to win Wimbledon more so than other Slams (Except maybe their own slam).

1. Jelena is not like "many others" - she has reached career high #2 ranking which is not something "many others" achieve.
2. Jelena won't be in Venus' league until she wins a GS (not even when she "gets to a GS final"). That still doesn't mean JJ can't beat her. No matter how Venus plays if she loses that means she was beaten by a better player on the day.

can't argue w/ that.

Vlover
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
2. Jelena won't be nowhere near Venus' league until she wins a GS (not even when she "gets to a GS final"). That still doesn't mean JJ can't beat her. No matter how Venus plays if she loses that means she was beaten by a better player on the day.

Points well taken and I'm willing to give credit to Jelena for her achievements but I'm not going to credit Jelena as a better overall player than Venus which is the impression I'm getting from some supporters.

In The Zone
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'd like to be 6'0 and italian. Not happening. Just like Jelena winning Wimbledon.

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Points well taken and I'm willing to give credit to Jelena for her achievements but I'm not going to credit Jelena as a better overall player than Venus which is the impression I'm getting from some supporters.

I don't know of any JJ supporters who think she's a better overall player than Venus, or even nearly better than her off clay. If they exist, they're wrong.

Matt01
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Vlover: :help:

To be honest, JJ could beat Venus 10 times and certain people wouldn't give her credit for those wins. Remember, according to Venus, JJ is "a very good player - nothing super" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/22/stvenu122.xml), so she's basically lost to a hack 4 times already.

:lol:

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
she said the same thing about FO :rolls: :o

LeRoy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Venus is a better player than JJ on all surfaces INCLUDING clay and i am not even a fan of Venus. If Venus is playing well the only player who can still beat her are Serena and Justine.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Venus is a better player than JJ on all surfaces INCLUDING clay and i am not even a fan of Venus. If Venus is playing well the only player who can still beat her are Serena and Justine.

And Davenport, and Sharapova.