PDA

View Full Version : Your 2008 Wimbledon Semi Final Picks?

Jaffas85
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
These are my picks for the Wimbledon semi finals:

(1) Ana Ivanovic Vs. (6) Serena Williams

(3) Maria Sharapova Vs. (7) Venus Williams

I'm not quite sure who will win from those encounters considering Ivanovic and Sharapova have been in great form, however, Serena has won 3 titles this year and I'm sure feels she is long overdue for a third Wimbledon title and Venus always seems to come to life at Wimbledon.

BTW, I'm hoping to see a QF match between Maria Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport. I don't think Davenport's draw before that stage is really that difficult for her and once she wins one or two matches I think she should have enough momentum to reach the quarters to play Sharapova.

What do you all think?

mckyle.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
I'm pretty sure most people think this will be the final four...

*hingis_forever*
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Agnes Szavay vs. Serena Williams
Dinara Safina vs. Jelena Jankovic

Probably not though! :p

AnywhereButHome
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
:yeah::yeah:These are my picks for the Wimbledon semi finals:

I'm not quite sure who will win from those encounters considering Ivanovic and Sharapova have been in great form, however, Serena has won 3 titles this year and I'm sure feels she is long overdue for a third Wimbledon title and Venus always seems to come to life at Wimbledon.

BTW, I'm hoping to see a QF match between Maria Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport. I don't think Davenport's draw before that stage is really that difficult for her and once she wins one or two matches I think she should have enough momentum to reach the quarters to play Sharapova.

What do you all think?

Dor Y
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
I agree. Serena VS Ana and Maria VS Venus. I hope for Williams's final but Serena VS Maria should be good too :)

LudwigDvorak
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Baltacha/South, Keothavong/Dementieva.

kwilliams
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:15 AM
I agree. Ivanovic v. Serena and Sharapova v. Venus. However I think most people expect this and there are usually one or two surprises in any draw so it might not happen.

Andy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Ana v Serena
Masha v Venus

That would be awesome

So Disrespectful
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
Hantuchova to upset Williams in R4. :)

In The Zone
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
No reason to have a thread on this. :o

The SF picks are pretty obvious, most will pick the same. Of course, it may not be these four but to predict something other than these four is not logical.

spiritedenergy
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
As usual, the obvious semifinal line-up WON'T happen. I expect 2 of those 4 to fail before the SF, but I don't know who. Jankovic, Radwanska or some other will sneak through.

Mikey.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm feeling:

Serena-Ana
Maria-JJ

mckyle.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
As usual, the obvious semifinal line-up WON'T happen. I expect 2 of those 4 to fail before the SF, but I don't know who. Jankovic, Radwanska or some other will sneak through.

Doesn't this mean you think the WS won't make it? :confused: You say you don't know which two of the four will fail, but then you give two names that are in the WS parts of the draw. :lol:

spiritedenergy
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Doesn't this mean you think the WS won't make it? :confused: You say you don't know which two of the four will fail, but then you give two names that are in the WS parts of the draw. :lol:

:lol: well, I didn't follow up closely the draw... I gave two names, but those who sneak through may easily be Szavay or Petrova for example. Some in-form or just-came-to-form player. Not Davenport or Mauresmo.

Dodoboy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
We DESERVE this semifinal!

As women tennis fans we DESERVE this. I mean yes we like the no-names getting far but this is Wimbledon. I hope we get the Super 4 as the Final Four in the second week. We need these kind of matches.

Dodoboy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Baltacha/South, Keothavong/Dementieva.

:haha:

Elena with the GB girls :rocker:

smokovec
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
No reason to have a thread on this. :o

The SF picks are pretty obvious, most will pick the same. Of course, it may not be these four but to predict something other than these four is not logical.

Well said!

And for me it's more interesting if we have at least 1 different player in semifinal than these 4.

spiritedenergy
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
We DESERVE this semifinal!

As women tennis fans we DESERVE this. I mean yes we like the no-names getting far but this is Wimbledon. I hope we get the Super 4 as the Final Four in the second week. We need these kind of matches.

i agree and I hope so but it's very unlikely:shrug:

Highlandman
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
I agree with

;)

Dexter
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
And for me it's more interesting if we have at least 1 different player in semifinal than these 4.Let me guess... from the first quarter?

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM

What do you all think?

You really don't think Lena would be difficult for Lindsay, despite the fact that Lindsay hasn't played in months, hasn't advanced past the semis of a Tier II or higher, and Elena has been having a fantastic year? I say if Lindsay beats Lena, it would be an upset.

Jaffas85
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
You really don't think Lena would be difficult for Lindsay, despite the fact that Lindsay hasn't played in months, hasn't advanced past the quarters of a Tier II or higher, and Elena has been having a fantastic year? I say if Lindsay beats Lena, it would be an upset.

On grass, I don't see Dementieva taking a set from Davenport.

smokovec
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Let me guess... from the first quarter?

No, I speak in general, it can be Wozniacki, Radwanska, Tanasugarn, K. Bondarenko, Erakovic etc. etc.

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
On grass, I don't see Dementieva taking a set from Davenport.

I'll go out on a limb and say this isn't the same Lindsay, and Lena will win. But it's just a guess, who knows with these women :lol:

Cp6uja
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
In couple last years of XX century Wimbledon is GS tournament with always atleast one big SF surprise (for example Dokic, Stevenson, Lucic, Zvereva, Tauziat, Kournikova, McGrath...) but with XXI century when power and attacking tennis start to dominate in womans tennis Wimbledon become tournament without big (SF) surprises. Only exception in whole new century is Marion Bartoli last season. Maybe somebody like SF surprise count Sharapova 2004 run, but only surprise in that her case is her title, not semi - her attacking game is very good for grass and she is at 17 like upcoming star already 13th seed at W/04 and only two better ranked seeds in her quarter of that Wimbledon is her compatriots Dementieva and Myskina which even at their best is not so good at grass (and never reach Semifinals, not only in 2004).

So if some "SF Scenario" is most likely at some slam, best chances that nothing surprising will happen is at Wimbledon. And draw is very helpful this year for that. Ana and Maria have open road to Semis and Serena which is traditionaly most vulnerable in slam Quarterfinals (GS Career stats QF:12-10, SF:10-2, F:8-2) in Sveta have best TOP4 seed opponent option. On other hand "Wimbledon Queen" Venus only twice not reach final since 2000 and both time she have early upsets in early rounds (2R and 3R) - even last season when she destroyed all her opponents in 2nd week in early rounds against weak opponents (R1 and R3) she won 7-5 in 3rd sets Kudryavtseva and Morigami (where Alla is two points close to win at 5-4 in third and Akiko lead 5-3 in 3rd :eek:). But if she survive big chalenge of British tennis superstars (Cavaday and Keothavong) :tape: even with best will i simple dont see my compatriot Jelena to stop her in QF round... she is simple too good in 2nd weeks of Wimbledon and have perfect offensive game for grass.

In past when i quote bookmakers odds i always have some complaination - but this time i agree in generaly (OK, Sveta is again underrated, but i dont see her winning of course, and Venus chances is not less than Serena or Ana, but numbers is correct in general):

William Hill
"Wimbledon/08 Winner" odds

Maria Sharapova 3.25
Serena Williams 4.00
Ana Ivanovic 5.00
Venus Williams 5.50
Jelena Jankovic 13.00
Dinara Safina 17.00
Svetlana Kuznetsova 26.00
OTHERS... over 30.00

Milli
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
We already have a similar thread

Besides,most people are going with the safe picks (Maria-Venus, Ana-Serena)

:yawn:

Dodoboy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
We already have a similar thread

Besides,most people are going with the safe picks (Maria-Venus, Ana-Serena)

:yawn:

Because most people have a brain :rolleyes:

Elldee
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I really think the Ana/Serena, Maria/Venus semifinals will happen, with Serena being the biggest question mark... I definetly think Venus or Maria will emerge the winner if these semis happen and would pick Venus.

I think Davenport will withdraw on Monday.

Cp6uja
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
BTW talking about odds i find on that Bet365 bookmakers which often have livestreams from many tennis tournaments on their site odds for 1,2,3 and 4th Quarter winners (which is equal with "Predict Semi Final Picks"). Here is their odds:

1st Quarter
1.36 Ivanovic
8.50 Vaidisova
9.50 Chakvetadze
12.0 Szavay
20 + Others

2nd Quarter
1.44 Serena
6.50 Kuznetsova
7.50 Radwanska
17.0 Mauresmo
17.0 Bartoli
20 + Others

3rd Quarter
1.36 Sharapova
6.50 Safina
13.0 Dementieva
13.0 Davenport
20 + Others

4th Quarter
1.62 Venus
3.50 Jankovic
11.0 Wozniacki
15.0 Zvonareva
20 + Others

brayster87
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
I really think the Ana/Serena, Maria/Venus semifinals will happen, with Serena being the biggest question mark... I definetly think Venus or Maria will emerge the winner if these semis happen and would pick Venus.

I think Davenport will withdraw on Monday.

Why make such a comment :(

I thought you were much better than that!

Milli
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Because most people have a brain :rolleyes:

Those 4 are my picks too,I yawned because of the thread,not the choice

kadirelf
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Serena def Ana or Razzano
Venus def Lindsay

Final williams sisters

Serena's Hubby
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM

What do you all think?

YES YES YES:drool:

Poova
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
At least one of the obvious 4 won't make it IMO. Perhaps even two.