PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams nominated at the 2008 Teen Choice Awards

Fretchap
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
This year’s ceremony will be hosted by Hannah Montana star Miley Cyrus, in her first solo gig as a Mistress of Ceremonies. Fans ages 13-19 can vote once each day for their favorite nominees at www.TeenChoiceAwards.com. Winners will be announced Monday, Aug. 4 on FOX..

Serena and Maria are both nominated in the same category "Female Athlete". The 5 nominated in this category are:

Shawn Johnson - Gymnastic
Candace Parker - Basetball
Maria Sharapova - Tennis
Danica Patrick - Auto Race
Serena Williams - Tennis

Go vote for one of them :)

Andy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
Thats fantastic for Womens Tennis. It would be awesome if one of them won.

hankqq
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Nice to see not 1 BUT 2 tennis players up for an award!

Craig.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
They've both been nominated for the past few years, I think. IIRC, Maria won last year.

Adaora
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah right..How many American teenagers know who Maria is? not many I believe

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:35 AM
This is awesome for womens tennis :bounce:.

Craig.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM

You want the list of winners? I'll get it for you right now. :)

southpaw58
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
I like....no LOVE Candace Parker.

But of course Serena has my HEART! hahahaha

Great for both of them! (Masha and Serena)

southpaw58
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM

Believe it or not, Maria is pretty well known. By the guys, cause she's attractive. By a lot more cause of her achievements. More people know of Serena (and Venus) due to their break downs of social barriers and achievements.

pov
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
not true, in America if you show pictures of the 3 girls, more people could tell who Maria is and people would be like that's the black tennis players to the Williams Sisters, they aren't that popular in the US in my opinion
IMP Almost anyone in America with any interest in pro sports or current events knows Venus and Serena Williams. They are very well-known. You think Steve and Barry's launched a project with Venus Williams out of altruism?

NotTheStereotype
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
not true, in America if you show pictures of the 3 girls, more people could tell who Maria is and people would be like that's the black tennis players to the Williams Sisters, they aren't that popular in the US in my opinion

I disagree. I feel that they are pretty popular. I am pretty sure that if you said their names to people within the US population they would know who they are.

pov
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
What's dumb about the voting for this is that it's online so anyone can simply claim they're in that age bracket and cast a vote.

Optima
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
Venus and Serena are very well known in the US.

Uranium
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
What's dumb about the voting for this is that it's online so anyone can simply claim they're in that age bracket and cast a vote.

i'm sure you will lie and vote for Maria:o

the point of my comment was to say that more people would know Maria than Venus and Serena

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM

the point of my comment was to say that more people would know Maria than Venus and Serena

Yeah, for the simple fact that she is out there in the public with endorsements and interviews and the like :).

kittyking
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure why Maria Sharapova was nominated. She reminds me alot of one of my teachers who yelled alot!

(okay so it's fair to say that Maria isn't as Ugly as the teacher, but she yells even louder!)

Craig.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
I'm surprised that people are surprised that these two were nominated. I've known about this for a while and I think they've been both been nominated at least the past two years. Maria won last year too. In a way, this is sorta old news.

wild.river
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
does either maria or serena even care about winning? it seems like small potatoes compared to other stuff they do.

mal
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
I'm surprised that people are surprised that these two were nominated. I've known about this for a while and I think they've been both been nominated at least the past two years. Maria won last year too. In a way, this is sorta old news.

As I was about to say in another thread when I was rudely interrupted by a power cut, I'm now backed up and using a 44 watt inverter (Called bobby) powered by a solar powered car battery) rich people, who all earned their money otherwise they'd be inside a prison, number only 10% of the population, and all they see is people who are even richer than themselves. On the other hand 60% of the poor are really poor, and actually subsidize the rich by working for minimum wage.

The least the rich can do is keep up with the news. They have plenty of time. Most people work 7 days a week whether they make money or not. For instance I wasn't aware Maria is already engaged to be married to someone else, until my property manager told me when I wanted some money to send her a cell phone. Didn't see anything in the newspaper about it. What is the guy's name, or is it a woman? :tape: I hope Maria doesn't have to ask someone when she wants to spend some money to buy a newspaper or a book shop.

I'm surprised that you are surprised that people are surprised, and nobody should be surprised at that, you know, because it would only take two, maybe Maria herself and her friend, or not maybe.:tape: :help:

But then again, keeping up with what is going on in women's and men's tennis isn't a big job when you compare it to mine, which means getting permissions every time I want an individual's permission to use their image in a baseball game, football came, Olympic contest, car racing and so it, for Samsung's online gaming business. The competition aren't exactly going to welcome competition from another gamer when they could tie up a whole sport with one contract are they? Getting a monopoly on any sport isn't easy without a patent, and you can't patent a sporting competition. The sporting stars are free to move between sponsors and teams, which is the only thing which allows them to demand higher sponsorship money. I mention Revlon as an exapmle because I'm certain they used Sharapova's image, or a very close approximation.
Spelling isn't important in most fields, but has to be right in computing or the frogramme stops executing.

wild.river
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM

Tennisstar86
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM

the point of your post is dumb......

People in America know Venus and Serena because they like Kournikova were these big "amazan" women who played tennis, but not only that were gorgeous off the court with gown/ etc.... for red carpets... etc... but unlike kournikova they were still winning on the court....
IT wasnt just because they broke down "barriers".... Althea Gibson did that long before they came along... Their were black players playing the game when they came along.... Being sisters added to their stardom; however, if there were only 1 Williams sister i think that 1 would still be just as famous.
Sharapova is not more famous in America. As someone said ALL her endorsements.... I hardly ever see her over here for all the "endorsements" she does... all i ever see is that canon shot commercial....

wild.river
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
^^ you forgot deoderant :o

Tennisstar86
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
does either maria or serena even care about winning? it seems like small potatoes compared to other stuff they do.

no they dont....but who does really? the kids choice awards are just something to make kids think they're important... its great that celebs show up and pretend to be happy about winning for the kids though....

mckyle.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:52 AM
Where I live, people know who the Williams sisters are, but if you put a picture in front of them, they wouldn't be able to tell you which one is Venus and which one is Serena.

I doubt most people in my neighborhood know Maria, but it's not really a tennis town.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM

belive me we know maria twice as well as serena no matter how american serena is.

All the guys vot MaShah and the girls split 50 50 MaSha Ree

okayawesome21
Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM

you'll be surprised how many times they play her commercials over and over again here. her canon camera commercial with the dog...i saw it like an hour ago on a nonsports station. they think of maria as the russian whose not dating enrique iglesias and who actually wins tournaments...or at least thats how my guy friends know her.

mal
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM

:confused::haha:
Don't you you think that comment was a bit negative, or maybe you ate still using teh old Microsoft Internet Exploder browser :timebomb: and your full comment was lost.

My standard stock answer to such comments is to ask, "Are you a Christian?" because you appear to have an attitude problem.

Shimizu Amon
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
That's really awesome for both of them. That just shows that they are in America the faces of the WTA. Hopefully one of them wins it. Obviously for myself I hope Maria wins.

spiritedenergy
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
gO MaSHa WiN tHEm AlL yOu ArE bETTA tHaN ANnA MoNTAnaH!!!1111 <3:bounce:

spiritedenergy
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
As I was about to say in another thread when I was rudely interrupted by a power cut, I'm now backed up and using a 44 watt inverter (Called bobby) powered by a solar powered car battery) rich people, who all earned their money otherwise they'd be inside a prison, number only 10% of the population, and all they see is people who are even richer than themselves. On the other hand 60% of the poor are really poor, and actually subsidize the rich by working for minimum wage.

The least the rich can do is keep up with the news. They have plenty of time. Most people work 7 days a week whether they make money or not. For instance I wasn't aware Maria is already engaged to be married to someone else, until my property manager told me when I wanted some money to send her a cell phone. Didn't see anything in the newspaper about it. What is the guy's name, or is it a woman? :tape: I hope Maria doesn't have to ask someone when she wants to spend some money to buy a newspaper or a book shop.

I'm surprised that you are surprised that people are surprised, and nobody should be surprised at that, you know, because it would only take two, maybe Maria herself and her friend, or not maybe.:tape: :help:

But then again, keeping up with what is going on in women's and men's tennis isn't a big job when you compare it to mine, which means getting permissions every time I want an individual's permission to use their image in a baseball game, football came, Olympic contest, car racing and so it, for Samsung's online gaming business. The competition aren't exactly going to welcome competition from another gamer when they could tie up a whole sport with one contract are they? Getting a monopoly on any sport isn't easy without a patent, and you can't patent a sporting competition. The sporting stars are free to move between sponsors and teams, which is the only thing which allows them to demand higher sponsorship money. I mention Revlon as an exapmle because I'm certain they used Sharapova's image, or a very close approximation.
Spelling isn't important in most fields, but has to be right in computing or the frogramme stops executing.

:weirdo:

Destiny
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Glad that they both nominated

HOPE one of them wins i.e Serena :)

Destiny
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
gO MaSHa WiN tHEm AlL yOu ArE bETTA tHaN ANnA MoNTAnaH!!!1111 <3:bounce:

Hannah Montana :ras:

Slutiana
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
To be fair, from what ive seen all the times i've been to america, the williams sisters are definatly better known. I mean if someone showed a picture of maria with a tennis racket they'd probably say anna kournikova. :shrug:

hacberto
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Good Luck to both of them, It's nice to see them nominated

Let's see who's gonna win it!!!

hacberto
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
To be fair, from what ive seen all the times i've been to america, the williams sisters are definatly better known. I mean if someone showed a picture of maria with a tennis racket they'd probably say anna kournikova. :shrug:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
We'll I Think it's obvious that they will recognize V and S better because they have been longer in the game and have had more successful than Sharapova and let's not forget that their Americans so.

wild.river
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
:confused::haha:
Don't you you think that comment was a bit negative, or maybe you ate still using teh old Microsoft Internet Exploder browser :timebomb: and your full comment was lost.

My standard stock answer to such comments is to ask, "Are you a Christian?" because you appear to have an attitude problem.

attitude problem? :o how rude.
i'm a druid.

Adaora
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
You have to be a sports or even a tennis player to know who Sharapova is, but not the case with the Williams. Venus and Serena transcend sports. I haven't come across an AMerica non tennis fan who knows who the heck Sharapova is.

Coffee&TV
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Yay! It's great for Women's tennis. :yeah: