PDA

View Full Version : Elena Baltacha- Best British Player this Decade?

Midnight
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
3rd Round Wimbledon 2002
3rd Round Australian Open 2005
Winner 75k Torhout Tournament 2008
Winner 25k Jersey Tournament 2008, 2005

Elena has brilliant potential, this was proven by her run to the 3rd round of Wimbledon in 2003 as an 18 year old. Sadly, injury and illness has been thorn in the side of Baltacha. She suffers from a liver disease, which prevents her from playing tournaments week after week. Bally also suffered a prolapsed disc in her back and was out for 9 months between June '06 and March '07. Baltacha has returned strongly rising from a ranking of 660 upto inside the world's top 200 by the end of 2007. In 2008, Bally has won 2 ITF Tournaments, one a 75k Tournament in Torhout, Belgium and the other a 25k Tournament in Jersey. Baltacha has had a troubled career so far with flashes of brilliance, can Wimbledon 2008 define Baltacha's career? Not long to wait now

Dodoboy.
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
They must have gone ballistic after Wimbledon 2002 - i can just imagine :lol:

sharapovarulz1
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
I hope it can define her career because she is a great girl having had the chance to meet her twice! Just been so unlucky with injuries! Good luck at Wimbledon Elena :D

Monica_Rules
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Its been a shame that shes never got to play a whole season healthy and playing at her peak. Whenever she gets up there she gets another problem.

patch.
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
No.

RenaSlam.
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:01 PM
I remember her playing a tight match against Capriati at Wimbledon and she lost 4 and 4.

She had a strong serve and good groundstrokes. Hope she can have a go at it this year.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM

Not really, Tim reached the semifinals that year ;)

Slutiana
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Her or Anne. It's close, though. Of course Anne has won 2 50ks and a Tier III SF but Elena obviously has those achievements. Both have had career-altering injuries especially Elena... I can't really say an answer with any certainty.

I remember that match against Capriati and I also remember her taking a set off Dokic. That was a good match. But then I remember that Anne vs Sharapova match... Again, a good competitive match. I still think she would have won it (and in the process altered history) had the rain held off. :p :ras:

Apoleb
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
The British are still desperate for a female player to overhype and to push down on our throats. They got that with Murray in the men's but still no one's looming in the women's field.

Avid Merrion
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM

yup, she's dined out on that 3rd round appearance ever since! :lol:

shame she's been injured so much because i do think she has a genuine bit of potential lurking in there.