PDA

View Full Version : Aga Radwańska = Martina Hingis version 2.0

markhingis
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Having seen the Eastbourne final I got to conclusion (or rather assured myself) that Aga Radwańska is becoming a better version of my dearest Martina Hingis. I can't say she'll be better that Martina, but her game is alike Martina's plus she got a bit more power. Her net play, serve, drop-shots + lobs, on-court finesse reminds me of Hingis. She's gonna struggle against power hitters, but when they have a day off, she's capable of outsmarting them :)
Congrats Aga on your Tier II title!!!

cellophane
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
A better version of Hingis? :tape:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hingis made it to #6 in her comeback. I wonder if Radwanska can make the top five...

I can see why someone would make the comparison. I like Radwanska much more than Hingis, but they do have pretty similar games.

bwahahahahaha
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Better? :o

bwahahahahaha
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hingis made it to #6 in her comeback. I wonder if Radwanska can make the top five...

I can see why someone would make the comparison. I like Radwanska much more than Hingis, but they do have pretty similar games.

Good point. Even a half-assed Hingis made the top 10 when the competition was stronger. Women's tennis is in a sad state these days.

Imperfect Angel
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
:spit: At least this comes from a Hingis fan.:p

mirzalover
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
I would say she is more like Myskina.

Dave.
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Radwanska naturally has more power because times have moved on. I understand the comparison with Hingis because of the on-court thinking and cool head, but no way is Radwanska a better version of Hingis. Radwanska's good, but you can't say she's better than someone who totally dominated the game when they were 16 and is known for her legendary tactical knowledge. Hingis for sure is the smarter player.

Martian Jeza
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Are ya out of your mind ? You may like her game but better than Hingis ? Sorry but the better version of Hingis has yet to be born...

égalité
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Radwanska can hit drop shots and lobs, and has better accuracy than most other players, but she doesn't have the aggression and almost unconscious court sense that Hingis had in the late 90s.

But I think she is my new favorite player until Hingis comes back now that Hingis is gone. :D

AndreConrad
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Radwanska naturally has more power because times have moved on. I understand the comparison with Hingis because of the on-court thinking and cool head, but no way is Radwanska a better version of Hingis. Radwanska's good, but you can't say she's better than someone who totally dominated the game when they were 16 and is known for her legendary tactical knowledge. Hingis for sure is the smarter player.

As I already stated in various threads I don't believe that the age matters when a player starts their great achievements. It depends on so many factors and perhaps most of all at that age it depends on their physical development and we all know that some of us grew tall early, went through puberty late or all the other way around. Same with players some will start earlier than others.

However I agree that it doesn't make sense to compare two players that did not play against each other at their peak time from "better/worse" perspective, while one can compare their styles. All those debates who is the greatest player of all time don't make sense to me. Furthermore Agnieszka is just entering her career at the top, so let's just see where it goes.

I also diesagree that the level of the game is lower than it was in the past. It is a time of change of the front guard, but it is a good thing. I love when new comers are stirring the pot. Sometimes I see here some young old people that can't let go off the past, I can't believe a lot of these old people are in thier teens :shrug:

Elldee
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I would say she is more like Myskina.

I agree.

frenchie
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah I see a lot of Nastya in Radwanska!

they have great court sense

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
She is more like Gilles Simon or JI Chela

LudwigDvorak
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM

Neither of them have any talent, but that may be your point. Radwanska is a superb player, perhaps the most talented player playing now (her or Szavay, and I haven't forgotten the sisters). She doesn't get enough respect around here, really. I'd know, I used to diss her all the time here. :o

On topic, Hingis and Myskina are Hingis and Myskina. I don't think you can really compare them with anyone else, even each other. On who Radwanska is more like...well, the only thing she's got going in favor of Myskina is that her forehand is her best shot, but Myskina and Hingis weren't known for their forehands anyway.

Go Aga. :rocker2:

AcesHigh
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
She's a REALLY good player and will be very good, although I'm still unsure as to how far she can really go. That being said, she is not even close to Hingis and I think calling her the most talented player on tour is stretching it.
Let's just enjoy her tennis, which is a great relief from the usual power baseline tennis which populates most of the tour.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
I did say perhaps. I still think Mauresmo is the most talented player of the past generation, I just forgot she was still active.

Despite how good I think she is, I'm also unsure how far she can really go. She's had some very good tournaments but hasn't QUITE made that big push yet. We'll see.

slamchamp
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Better version of hingis? gimme a break:rolleyes:

homogenius
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
More like a 0.2 version...

Andy.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
I have thought that as well. Its nice to see some different styles coming thru even though Im a fan of the power game its still good to see variety.

Il Primo!
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Pretty much yeah. I just hope she won't follow Coketina's white footprints :)

papru
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Miami 2007: Radwanska 49 def Hingis 6 46 63 62 :angel:

I guess you have your answer :p

spriwi
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM

in that match hingis outsmarted aga and each and every dropshot or volley. aga had to become a ballbasher to a while, surprisingly, she showed some power shots to win there (and hingis handed her couple games with UEs)

you can say it was wreck of hingis etc, but aga's game was a bit unmature then, she had half the skill she has now ;)

Max565
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM

Hingis' hip was injured in that match... I think that's when her gradual downfall first happened and the injuries started kicking in again.

IMO:
Hingis' top form > Radwanska's top form ???

3Dcool
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
As I already stated in various threads I don't believe that the age matters when a player starts their great achievements. It depends on so many factors and perhaps most of all at that age it depends on their physical development and we all know that some of us grew tall early, went through puberty late or all the other way around. Same with players some will start earlier than others.

However I agree that it doesn't make sense to compare two players that did not play against each other at their peak time from "better/worse" perspective, while one can compare their styles. All those debates who is the greatest player of all time don't make sense to me. Furthermore Agnieszka is just entering her career at the top, so let's just see where it goes.

I also diesagree that the level of the game is lower than it was in the past. It is a time of change of the front guard, but it is a good thing. I love when new comers are stirring the pot. Sometimes I see here some young old people that can't let go off the past, I can't believe a lot of these old people are in thier teens :shrug:

Thats some mature reply. I totally agree with you man.

Neither of them have any talent, but that may be your point. Radwanska is a superb player, perhaps the most talented player playing now (her or Szavay, and I haven't forgotten the sisters). She doesn't get enough respect around here, really. I'd know, I used to diss her all the time here. :o

On topic, Hingis and Myskina are Hingis and Myskina. I don't think you can really compare them with anyone else, even each other. On who Radwanska is more like...well, the only thing she's got going in favor of Myskina is that her forehand is her best shot, but Myskina and Hingis weren't known for their forehands anyway.

I'd say its super stupid to equalize one player to another, but its much more stupid to say one player in the top of the WTA ranking is more special than others.
Everyone has its game, its goods and bads wether its power or variety.
Its just impossible to pick one player, and say: "She is the most tallented".
How the hell can u decide that? There are lots of young and tallented players in the WTA tour, maybe even too much. The top 20 is pretty equal. I can see players come and go, Some of the top 20 don't really deserve their place there, while others will be soon replacing them.
The only player I could say is really playing the most fascinating game is definetly Patty Schnyder. Didn't see players like Hingis, Clijsters and Mauresmo at their best so I can't talk about them.

Polikarpov
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Not even close.

Well, at least this is a better comparison than Hingis-Chakvetadze. :tape:

spiceboy
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry but the better version of Hingis has yet to be born...

:worship:

papru
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
in that match hingis outsmarted aga and each and every dropshot or volley. aga had to become a ballbasher to a while, surprisingly, she showed some power shots to win there (and hingis handed her couple games with UEs)

you can say it was wreck of hingis etc, but aga's game was a bit unmature then, she had half the skill she has now ;)

the only part I can agree with :confused:

slamchamp
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM

:tape:

fouc
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
More like a 0.2 version...

:lol: still an achievement to be 20% of hingis :)

Nicolás89
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Her game is really Martina's type, she is not better though, look at her dropshots out of grass. ;)

goldenlox
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've watched Aga a lot, because she's been beating Sveta Maria and Nadia in big matches.
Her best quality is that she doesn't get rattled. Handles her emotions.
You can't tell what she's thinking.
She showed great stamina against Nadia.
Her game has weaknesses, but you have to play well to beat her.

Dawn Marie
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
I've been liking her game for two years now. I told a few of my friends to watch out for this kid last year. She has all the shots in the book and can give some power babes some fits. I think her style is similar to Hingis's but she is no Hingis. I like her and Kirilenko's games at the moment and think Aga and Maria K will only get better and surrpise alot of players.
Azarenka is another player who will do some damage.

Dawson.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM

good point. 10 years ago hingis reached number 1 and won the slams. on her 2006 comeback she reached #6. If radwanska was around 10 years ago im sure she would have had similar success to hingis. And in the future, i believe she will reach the top 5. so overall (even though i hate comparing generations) i think radwanska IS a better version of hingis

Corswandt
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM

Interesting comparison.

I see more of Simon in her in the sense that both are puffballers, almost completely lacking in power. But Radwanska uses junk more often.

Chela hits somewhat harder than Simon, and his WTA equivalent would be Bammer - they both play a mind-numbingly boring high % game of 3/4 pace, 3/4 depth groundstrokes, almost never going for outright winners but also never giving any short balls for their opponents to attack. Cibulkova is a bit like that as well.

Corswandt
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Well, at least this is a better comparison than Hingis-Chakvetadze. :tape:

It is. But it's interesting to note that sometimes Radwanska tries to play like Chak, flattening out her shots and going for the lines a bit more instead of just pushing it back.

LCS
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Whatever, the point is that it's nice to see Radwanska play...even if you don't like her...it's great tennis. Period.

Shepster
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I've never seen or understood the comparison as I see very little in their style of play or way of ball striking or demeanour on court that would demand such. Aga hits dropshot and doesn't power people off the court, that seems to be the only basis for the comparison. That's fine, but then I could say JJ is similar to Daniela because they both hit a great clean backhand up the line and have a predictable second serve or Petrova is similar to Serena because they both have a big serve and don't always come into tournaments in the best shape. Just hardly see any comparisons between the way Radwanska goes about playing the game and Hingis and it seems there's a desire to label quite a few players without much power as "the next hingis" - there won't be another, that's absolutely clear.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'd say its super stupid to equalize one player to another, but its much more stupid to say one player in the top of the WTA ranking is more special than others.

No it's not. Serena is the best player, results wise, playing now. She's more special than every other girl playing now due to her accomplishments. Venus and Maria are the only ones to rival that who are playing now. The only thing I was saying is that the game styles of Hingis and Myskina are just too individual to truly be compared to anyone else. Radwanska, if I were to compare her to anyone, would be Hingis.

Its just impossible to pick one player, and say: "She is the most tallented".

No it's not.

How the hell can u decide that? There are lots of young and tallented players in the WTA tour, maybe even too much. The top 20 is pretty equal. I can see players come and go, Some of the top 20 don't really deserve their place there, while others will be soon replacing them.
The only player I could say is really playing the most fascinating game is definetly Patty Schnyder. Didn't see players like Hingis, Clijsters and Mauresmo at their best so I can't talk about them.

There are many facets to talent. Versatility in your game plan, the different shots you can execute, champion's mentality, good technique, I can go on and on. I just happen to think Radwanska possesses almost all of them aside from sheer, brute power--and even then she can put some pop to the ball. Sure, there are many players playing now who are much better than Radwanska. But on a pure talent basis, at least among her peers in age, I think she is unrivaled.

skanky~skanketta
Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
I love the way Aga plays. It's so...smooth. And I love how she maintains the same expression till the match is over.

SELVEN
Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Anyway ,Martina is a princess.

Malva
Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:44 AM
There are many facets to talent. Versatility in your game plan, the different shots you can execute, champion's mentality, good technique, I can go on and on. I just happen to think Radwanska possesses almost all of them aside from sheer, brute power--and even then she can put some pop to the ball. Sure, there are many players playing now who are much better than Radwanska. But on a pure talent basis, at least among her peers in age, I think she is unrivaled.

Many?

A few, at best. And even this is rapidly changing.

mboyle
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
No one will ever play like Martina Hingis ever. She wasn't just smart. She was brilliant. She had an instinct that no one else has had. She knew exactly where to hurt a player and how to make it hard for that player to win. She executed perfectly. She had every shot in the book but the serve. She didn't play well in her comeback except for a little bit in Oz, but she really was a great player in 97-00, and it makes me so mad when people call every single girl who doesn't hit very hard "another Martina Hingis."

kow604
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM
you know, i think radwanska is a polorizing player...you either love her or hate her.. i will confess to being part of the first catagory...but i have seen her play many times and she just does not puff the ball around. there is a lot of variety to her game and she plays intelligently, her true only weakness ican see is that 2n serve, it is bad.. but she, like dementieva does defend it well. if she could work on that she would be phenominal. she is going to have great results, she has the capability t win slams. and as far as her rankin goes she deserves to be where she is, she just keeps getting better.she does not just hit drop shots in fact when watching the matches at eastbourne the drop shots she did do did not provide her with great results, she had to earn and be offensive to win the matches against bartoli and petrova. neither of which played bad matches.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Many?

A few, at best. And even this is rapidly changing.

Williams, Williams, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Davenport, Hantuchova, Petrova...:shrug: To me that's a lot.

Jakeev
Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Having seen the Eastbourne final I got to conclusion (or rather assured myself) that Aga Radwańska is becoming a better version of my dearest Martina Hingis. I can't say she'll be better that Martina, but her game is alike Martina's plus she got a bit more power. Her net play, serve, drop-shots + lobs, on-court finesse reminds me of Hingis. She's gonna struggle against power hitters, but when they have a day off, she's capable of outsmarting them :)
Congrats Aga on your Tier II title!!!

Radwanska's biggest liability, which unfortunately makes her typical of a lot of up and coming players, is that her second serve is awful.

Petrova let her off the hook at Eastbourne in the respect she had her own problems to deal with and this allowed the young Polish star to take the match away from her.

But what I like about Aga that I think will make her a future Slam champion is her determination and drive on court. You can just tell she wants it. It's just getting it week end and out she is gonna have to work on.

LeonHart
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Eh I don't think Aga is a better version per say. I do think Aga tries to play like Hingis though lol. She doesn't have as great anticipation or shot selection as Hingis IMO.

donniedarkofan
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Eh I don't think Aga is a better version per say. I do think Aga tries to play like Hingis though lol. She doesn't have as great anticipation or shot selection as Hingis IMO.

Then you obviously don't want to think that way. You must admit that Agnieszka has the best anticipation on tour right now,she;s in the right place at the right time always on the court,just like Martina was(i am a huge fan of hers). Aga isn't trying to play like Martina,she's playing her own game.One can;t play in the way someone else plays,it's natural and this is the case with Radwanska.It's her style and she;s great at it.She have a great future ahead of her and she'll win some majors,maybe not right now,but she can do it in the coming years.

Oh and i'm not saying she is better than Martina.

mckyle.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM

Wow. :o

LeonHart
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Then you obviously don't want to think that way. You must admit that Agnieszka has the best anticipation on tour right now,she;s in the right place at the right time always on the court,just like Martina was(i am a huge fan of hers). Aga isn't trying to play like Martina,she's playing her own game.One can;t play in the way someone else plays,it's natural and this is the case with Radwanska.It's her style and she;s great at it.She have a great future ahead of her and she'll win some majors,maybe not right now,but she can do it in the coming years.

Oh and i'm not saying she is better than Martina.

I'm just saying from my point of view. Aga did admit she was a huge Martina fan (any fan would try to emulate how their idol played like right?) Plus if you observe when she hits a drop shot, she approaches the net but you know she doesn't feel comfortable up there (anticipates wrong shots, not that great at volleys). When Martina does it she anticipates extremely well up there.

Aga by no means has horrible anticipation I'm just saying Martina still is better :p

Malva
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Williams, Williams, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Davenport, Hantuchova, Petrova...:shrug: To me that's a lot.

Mauresmo, Hantuchová, Petrova are no more much better than Radwańska. At the very moment they are not even better, in my opinion. And with today's Dementieva or Davenport it is not clear.

But even with the ones you listed they are just a few.

I consider Agnieszka's ranking to reflect her current standing as a tennis player fairly accurately. And she is steadily improving her game. I was very impressed by how much more complete player she was at Eastbourne as compared to tournaments she was playing just 3-4 months ago.

kittyking
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
She reminds me alot of what Myskina was like in 2004..

I'm not so much getting the Martina Hingis vibe

homogenius
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
:lol: still an achievement to be 20% of hingis :)

Of course (and her results are the proof of that) :)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I watched a little bit of the Spadea match today . He reminds me Radwanska

martinahfan
Jun 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
you are very silly for says that :( :( :( martina hingis will be forever martina hingis and radwanska is a basic players for me , not again slam at this age ;) ;)
c'est du n'importe quoi de dire que martina a une copie