PDA

View Full Version : The most dangerous 1st & 2nd round matches

sasha&tennis
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Kuznetsova plays Mathilde Johansson in the first round and this girl is not afraid to go for her shots which could be very dangerous for Kuzy.

If Kuzy makes it to the 2nd round she could possibly play Kateryna Bondarenko who is playing some good tennis and has more confidence now since she just won her first wta singles championship.

Serena has a tricky 1st round match. She will be playing the big hitting Kaia Kanepi who could give Serena some real trouble if Serena is not on her game.

Sharapova has a very dangerous 2nd round match no matter who she plays. 2 big hitting russians are her potential opponents. Ekaterina Makarova who plays big and if Sharapova is having serving problems she may not make it out of the 2nd round. Also her other potential opponent is Alla Kudryavtseva who almost knocked Venus out of Wimbledon last year in the first round. These players seem to be more inspired when they play Sharapova or the Williams sisters.

But of all of the matches I think that Sharapova is the most vulnerable one of them all. What do you think?

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Maria has either won Wimbledon or lost to the champion every year since she turned 17. I don't think the Russian she plays in round 2 is a threat.

it-girl
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
I did not think of that. Because last year what I feel really helped Venus in her match against Alla Kudryavtseva was her movement and serve and Sharapova's serve nor movement are even close to that of Venus. If Kudryavtseva comes firing those shots like she did last year it could be very interesting for Sharapova.

Craig.
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:35 AM
Kuznetsova plays Mathilde Johansson in the first round and this girl is not afraid to go for her shots which could be very dangerous for Kuzy.

If Kuzy makes it to the 2nd round she could possibly play Kateryna Bondarenko who is playing some good tennis and has more confidence now since she just won her first wta singles championship.

Serena has a tricky 1st round match. She will be playing the big hitting Kaia Kanepi who could give Serena some real trouble if Serena is not on her game.

Sharapova has a very dangerous 2nd round match no matter who she plays. 2 big hitting russians are her potential opponents. Ekaterina Makarova who plays big and if Sharapova is having serving problems she may not make it out of the 2nd round. Also her other potential opponent is Alla Kudryavtseva who almost knocked Venus out of Wimbledon last year in the first round. These players seem to be more inspired when they play Sharapova or the Williams sisters.

But of all of the matches I think that Sharapova is the most vulnerable one of them all. What do you think?

:help: What the hell are you smoking?

This whole post is a mess.

Lucas_Arg
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:35 AM
I don't see problems with Masha really.
Kanepi has been playing tremendous tennis but she is not even a rival for Serena IMO.

hablo
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Momo's first round match is tricky. Very tricky. :scared:

sasha&tennis
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM
Honestly if Sharapova is having shoulder & serving problems these players can really hurt her. She is a figher but if she is double faulting & hitting a lot of 2nd serves either one of those girls can feel inspired and cause an upset.

Lucas_Arg
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Honestly if Sharapova is having shoulder & serving problems these players can really hurt her. She is a figher but if she is double faulting & hitting a lot of 2nd serves either one of those girls can feel inspired and cause an upset.

How do you know that?

Renalicious
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
LOL I don't see Masha having problems at all. Makarova could provide a few hiccups (maybe take about 6 games off her) but definitely not Alla lol.

kittyking
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM
LOL I don't see Masha having problems at all. Makarova could provide a few hiccups (maybe take about 6 games off her) but definitely not Alla lol.

I agree with you about that

Even if Maria is serving as awful as she was Roland Garros then I can't see her losing more than 1 set on the way to the semis.

sasha&tennis
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM

And some people thought that I was crazy when I made this thread. The reason I felt that Sharapova could lose this match is because I knew that she would not be able to dictate because Alla only hits at one pace just like Sharapova and it is hard for Sharapova when she cannot dictate. Also I really felt that last year Venus's superior movement is what made the difference in her match with Alla and movement is something that Sharapova seriously lacks. All in all I am not surprised because she was also clearly having shoulder issues.

What people fail to realize is that Sharapova takes cortizone shots twice a year like Agassi use to. In the beginning of the year and closer to the us open. The affects of the shot are usually gone by the French and pretty much completely gone by wimbledon. If she did not take those shots and the pain killers that she uses she would drop down the rankings badly because that is the game she has when she is playing with what she has now because of her reoccuring injury.

sasha&tennis
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
:help: What the hell are you smoking?

This whole post is a mess.
I bet you don't think this post is a mess now. Sorry about your loss today.

muniu
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
haha great thread!

OsloErik
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
GREAT bump; all three posts were true. Kanepi was a very rough 2-set win, Johansson was very close to beating Kuznetsova, and Sharapova's WAS the most dangerous.

Bruno71
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I bet you don't think this post is a mess now. Sorry about your loss today.

Excellent call.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM

I'll give props where props are due. Good call you did your homework.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Great call :worship:

Melly Flew Us
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM

spot on. what do you think of tomorrow's third round matches?

kaktusino
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
(4) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. (Q) Mathilde Johansson (FRA) 67(5) 75 63
(8) Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) d. Stephanie Dubois (CAN) 26 61 86
Casey Dellacqua (AUS) d. (12) Patty Schnyder (SUI) 64 36 61
(13) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Aiko Nakamura (JPN) 61 67(3) 61
(20) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Tamira Paszek (AUT) 63 57 108
Julia Goerges (GER) d. (23) Katarina Srebotnik (SLO) 46 76(6) 1614
(25) Lindsay Davenport (USA) d. Renata Voracova (CZE) 63 57 63
(5) Elena Dementieva (RUS) d. (Q) Maria Elena Camerin (ITA) 63 67(7) 63

kaktusino
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM