PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis backs Ivanovic (and Sharapova, Venus, Serena) for Wimbledon title

Max565
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hingis backs Ivanovic for title

Former Wimbledon champion Martina Hingis has backed top seed Ana Ivanovic to triumph at Wimbledon this year.

But the 1997 champion said the retirement of Justine Henin has left a void at the top of the women's game.

Hingis, 27, said: "Confidence-wise you have got to go with Ivanovic after (her win at) the French Open.

"Justine (Henin) has retired and Amelie (Mauresmo) hasn't had a good season, but on grass anybody can beat you on a given day. A lot of it is mental."

Hingis, who beat Jana Novotna to win her only Wimbledon singles title, bemoaned the loss of Henin, who she described as "a little warrior" in a women's game which has become increasingly reliant on strength and power.

Hingis said: "Everyone was shocked to hear about Justine's retirement and her reasons for it. "She was one of the last little warriors out there. She was known for being such a fighter and her decision was so abrupt."

Hingis believes Ivanovic will have the edge in a women's competition made much more open by the retirement of Henin, with the likes of Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters also in serious contention.

Hingis added: "It's been very open for the last couple of years with Justine dominating a little bit then Amelie Mauresmo coming up and winning Wimbledon and looking like she might take control.

"But Maria is always a good player on grass and I think this year there are about four or five players who you could pick to win it. Of course you can never discount the Williams sisters.

"Playing on grass is special but it is never that easy, and that is what makes it so difficult to pick a winner."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7466018.stm

~Eclipsed~
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I wonder if Hingis will breakout the coke again now that it's Wimbledon time.:lol:

Wait, that was unclassy and not funny.:o

She was right about the void left in the women's game tho. :shrug:

Kworb
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Martina also left a void at the top of the women's game :bigcry:

SharapovaFan16
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Must be snortin that coke again. Oooooooooooooooooops.

égalité
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'd back her too with that ridiculous draw. :help:

Kipling
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
It's really sad that Martina Hingis' legacy is going to be how it ended rather than what she accomplished on the court. Everybody makes mistakes, you know.

Dodoboy.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I wonder if Hingis will breakout the coke again now that it's Wimbledon time.:lol:

Wait, that was unclassy and not funny.:o

She was right about the void left in the women's game tho. :shrug:

Every Hingis coke joke is funny, don't worry :lol:

Virginia Wade also back Ana.

kiwifan
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
It's really sad that Martina Hingis' legacy is going to be how it ended rather than what she accomplished on the court. Everybody makes mistakes, you know.

I like Chucky, but you know had it been someone else, Hingis would be the one making cocaine jokes. ;)

Sean.
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
:bounce:

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM
So basically if your first name is MARTINA, you're obliged to blow smoke up Ana's ass ;)

CORIA01
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I predict Ana too to win Wimbledon and my firstname is not Martina!!!

©@®eLess
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
The conversation went like this

Martina: Ana you must win Wimbledon
Ana (giggling)]
Martina: I'm not kidding!
Ana (giggling)
Martina: I'll let you have some dope, and then you can play with my moustache
Ana : finally, why didnt you give it to me yesterday. I had to pretend i'm nice to Jelena
Martina: Well i was in the back gossiping with Nicole, Radek is doing her good!
Ana: giggling OBVIOUSLY he didn't meet me! I'm cutest girl on earth!
Martina: That's why you'll win Wimby, and Radek's goona have you on the shoot!
Ana giggling : OBVIOUSLY! I'm so cute! Everyone loves me! Now let me have some dope!

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Ana (giggling)]
Ana (giggling)
Ana : finally, why didnt you give it to me yesterday. I had to pretend i'm nice to Jelena
Ana giggling : OBVIOUSLY! I'm so cute! Everyone loves me! Now let me have some dope!
:yawn:
Martina has never been wise with the garbage that comes out of her mouth:o

SharapovaFan16
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Anyone to predict someone outside of the Williams Sisters or Maria to win Wimbledon is just plain foolish or doesn't know anything about tennis. I'd assume it would be the first with Martina or maybe she has us all fooled.

I mean listen to her comments. "Anyone can beat you on grass on any given day. It's mostly mental" Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Did she get clay confused with grass? Aren't all tennis matches a battle mentally and physically? Come on Martina atleast sound like you know the game of tennis, I mean you were one of the greats, no?

Martian Jeza
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Ana (giggling)]
Ana (giggling)

What you are hilarious ! :tape:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
For anyone who slated Martina here, better hope that it doesn't come back and bite your ass in the next 2 weeks time.

If I was Martina, I would have said the same... the current form player on tour and having a (relatively) easy draw to the semis...

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
For anyone who slated Martina here, better hope that it doesn't come back and bite your ass in the next 2 weeks time.

If I was Martina, I would have said the same... the current form player on tour and having a (relatively) easy draw to the semis...

Wow, I didn't think this would come from you. Think about it. AND BE OBJECTIVE. REALISTICALLY. Do you really believe she'll win this? There are still 3 players that can beat her on grass and she'll probably have to meet one of them on way or another.

Max565
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I like Chucky, but you know had it been someone else, Hingis would be the one making cocaine jokes. ;)

Yeah, if she was still seventeen. She's a grown woman now.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Wow, I didn't think this would come from you. Think about it. AND BE OBJECTIVE. REALISTICALLY. Do you really believe she'll win this? There are still 3 players that can beat her on grass and she'll probably have to meet one of them on way or another.

I said "to the semis", not "win the whole thing" . ;)

Think about it - she will only meet Serena, Mauresmo or Kuzzy in the semis, and either Maria / Venus / Davenport in the final. The others would have to slog it out 1st, but Ana doesn't. Besides, didn't some of you mention that she had a cakewalk draw?

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Actually, no. This quote came from that liverpool exhibition thing and she said something like "Ivanovic obviously just won the French Open and is playing really well and confidence-wise you should go with ivanovic BUT..." but then she went on to mention the others as if to say that they are all up there. (Venus, Serena, Ana, Maria).

Max565
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Wait - if you carefully read the article and her exact quotes, she never really makes it clear that she 'backs Ivanovic'. She just says that her form is good because she has the confidence of the RG win and that's about it.

In fact, she says, "there are about four or five players who you could pick to win it" and how "difficult to pick a winner [on grass]". So I don't think she fully 'endorsed' Ana. Just gives all the names of contenders...

spiritedenergy
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
OMG no they are all jinxing Ana it's a nightmare:sobbing:

slamchamp
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Ana will win :bounce:

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I said "to the semis", not "win the whole thing" . ;)

Think about it - she will only meet Serena, Mauresmo or Kuzzy in the semis, and either Maria / Venus / Davenport in the final. The others would have to slog it out 1st, but Ana doesn't. Besides, didn't some of you mention that she had a cakewalk draw?

Oh, but I .. oh okay, nevermind :lol:

So she'll win cause the others are tired? Look, I'm not saying it's impossible and yes, she does have a ridiculously easy draw until the semis, but I just find it pretty unlikely that she'll win the whole thing. Oh well... we'll know in two weeks time anyway and I'm sure if Maria won, you wouldn't be too disappointed either ;)

spiritedenergy
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Ana will win :bounce:

you are not funny:fiery:

Emina.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Martina :yeah:

spiritedenergy
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM

So she'll win cause the others are tired? Look, I'm not saying it's impossible and yes, she does have a ridiculously easy draw until the semis, but I just find it pretty unlikely that she'll win the whole thing. Oh well... we'll know in two weeks time anyway and I'm sure if Maria won, you wouldn't be too disappointed either ;)

easy draw??? Are you kidding? Cibulkova and Szavay are on fire, they are not "easy draw":tape:

slamchamp
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM

No he won't cause if maria wins she will be his new fave ,again:lol::p

Ryan
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Are you like 13 years old? Sharapova hasn't won Wimbledon in, FOUR years, so its hardly "biased" and "unrealistic" to say Ana has a big shot at winning, especially considering her daw. If Serena loses before the Semifinals Ana is pretty much a lock for the finals - and who's so say she somehow can't beat Maria or Venus if she plays them, really? In a final its 50/50, so saying she has no shot is plain stupid.

slamchamp
easy draw??? Are you kidding? Cibulkova and Szavay are on fire, they are not "easy draw":tape:
they are:confused:

Craig.
No he won't cause if maria wins she will be his new fave ,again:lol::p

:lol:

I thought he/she liked them both equally?

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Are you like 13 years old? Sharapova hasn't won Wimbledon in, FOUR years, so its hardly "biased" and "unrealistic" to say Ana has a big shot at winning, especially considering her daw. If Serena loses before the Semifinals Ana is pretty much a lock for the finals - and who's so say she somehow can't beat Maria or Venus if she plays them, really? In a final its 50/50, so saying she has no shot is plain stupid.

Bringing age into a discussion shows how mature you are. :rolleyes:

Did you even read my post? I never said she didn't have a shot at winning or that she wouldn't, I just don't think she will or that she is THE favorite. Again, IF Serena loses early, IF she beats Maria or Venus, all those are IFs and not necessarily IFs that I think will happen. So chill and just enjoy the fortnight. If she does end up winning the whole thing, she'll have deserved it and you can come and shout all you want. But for now, just be happy that she does have an easy path to the semis.

spiritedenergy
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
This time I agree with Trollarific... I mean these "experts" always base their predictions of a tournament on the last tournament, when this doesn't make any sense when the previous one is clay and the current one is grass.

And Ana has a losing H2H against the top 3 contenders, so it cannot really be her the favorite.

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM
This time I agree with Trollarific... I mean these "experts" always base their predictions of a tournament on the last tournament, when this doesn't make any sense when the previous one is clay and the current one is grass.

And Ana has a losing H2H against the top 3 contenders, so it cannot really be her the favorite.

:worship: :yeah:

I agree with you too, stupidretardery. :)

Dawn Marie
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Martina Hingis sounds like an idiot in this interview. Ana has an easy draw but she's never done crap on grass. I would pick Venus for the title then Serena and then Lindsay/Maria. Ana's draw is easy as pie but I wouldn't pick her over Venus. Hingis is still snorting that white stuff. Her comments were stupid for an ex pro player. She is still back on that elusive clay surface talking that crap.

misael
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Every Hingis coke joke is funny, don't worry :lol:
Virginia Wade also back Ana.Not to her fans, and she has many, the coke jokes are stupid and boring.Hingis came back and made the top ten,and had wins against, Davenport,Sharopova, and Venus, nolting to be ashamed about.

Dawn Marie
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Martina is not slating Ana to win based on her draw. She is basing it on her French Open win. So stop trying to make Marty look smart when the facts tell the truth. Martina came off as a tool in this particular interview.

She basically stating this. " Oh Ana won the French so she will carry over her mental strength to win on grass" She will tke the title cause she's confident on grass.
Hello, I am banking on those who are confident on grass, like those who won on grass as the most confident. She's not even talkin into consideration Ana's past grass performance or the other players past performance. What a tool. I do though miss her style of play but she still comes off as a tool many times.

young_gunner913
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM
:yawn:
Martina has never been wise with the garbage that comes out of her mouth:o

"It's probably from a lack of a formal education." -Serena ;):hearts:

Max565
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Martina is not slating Ana to win based on her draw. She is basing it on her French Open win. So stop trying to make Marty look smart when the facts tell the truth. Martina came off as a tool in this particular interview.

She basically stating this. " Oh Ana won the French so she will carry over her mental strength to win on grass" She will tke the title cause she's confident on grass.
Hello, I am banking on those who are confident on grass, like those who won on grass as the most confident. She's not even talkin into consideration Ana's past grass performance or the other players past performance. What a tool. I do though miss her style of play but she still comes off as a tool many times.

Oh Jesus, calm down :o It's just her opinion and she never really picks Ivanovic to win. She mentions her and Sharapova and Serena and Venus. She never made a bold and brash statement like, "Oh Ana won the French so she will carry over her mental strength to win on grass... therefore she will definitely win!" :rolleyes:

Max565
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
"It's probably from a lack of a formal education." -Serena ;):hearts:

Yeah, the formal education from that finishing school did her so much good. :p

Martian Jeza
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
spiritedenergy and masharific as future :couple: ? :D

Martian Jeza
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Martina Hingis sounds like an idiot in this interview. Ana has an easy draw but she's never done crap on grass. I would pick Venus for the title then Serena and then Lindsay/Maria. Ana's draw is easy as pie but I wouldn't pick her over Venus. Hingis is still snorting that white stuff. Her comments were stupid for an ex pro player. She is still back on that elusive clay surface talking that crap.

She would be a Goddess for retards like you if she always put the WS as contenders n°1 for the title at each tournaments they take part :eek:

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Huh. You wish :lol:

wtatourfan
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Go Maria!!!!!

thiskidhasit
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I honestly cannot believe some of the responses in this thread. A lot of you are very, very sad people. It's just an interview - it's not like she said anything bad.

égalité
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM

:dead:

Blu€
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I honestly cannot believe some of the responses in this thread. A lot of you are very, very sad people. It's just an interview - it's not like she said anything bad.

Ditto :wavey:

Il Primo!
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Ivanobic?Whatever, she was probably high.

Nikkiri
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:32 AM
:yawn: god forbid anyone have an opinion

Chunchun
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
She must be so excited to hear a fromer champ *endorses* and *backs* her for the title :rolleyes:

Nikkiri
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM

:haha:

Aaron.
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:11 AM
I thought she would pick Sesil :p

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:57 AM
Marty really going out on a limb there on her picks :lol: :rolleyes:

number33
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM

True.
It's mind boggling how some people could react the way they did :help:

Dawn Marie
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
The facts are that marty was using Ana's past French Slam as a shoo in for the title on a totally different surface. Grass and Clay are opposite surfaces. Yet she ignores past slam grass winners and picks a clay winner to win the title?? Come on, the interview was a bit tarded.

irinska
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
I saw the interview on TV . Martina has never said that Ana is going to win. Her first words were that the tournament is very open this year, she also said that Ivanovic feels very confident now after winning a GS TITLE, Sharapova plays very well on grass as well as Willams sisters. It's not Martina's problem that the journalist put such title on his article.

rjd1111
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM

We all know what easy draws have done for Maria.

Sharapowerr
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ana won t win Wimbledon even with an easy draw.. she still has to beat at least 2 good players SF/F.. if she makes it that far i doubt it, At RG she beat only 1 top 10 player JJ in the SF the rest of her wins wHere more like a ''tier lll" tournament ... and in form??? how u all know that? She didn t play any tournaments on grass..

Max565
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
The facts are that marty was using Ana's past French Slam as a shoo in for the title on a totally different surface. Grass and Clay are opposite surfaces. Yet she ignores past slam grass winners and picks a clay winner to win the title?? Come on, the interview was a bit tarded.

Did you read the entire article? She does go on to talk about how you shouldn't 'discount' the Williams sisters...

soomaal
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I think that Venus will defend her title.

Cp6uja
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Sisters, Sharapova and Ivanovic is major Wimbledon/08 contenders by anybody, but when must to choose just one people mostly choose they personal favorite player out of this four. Same thing we have last week with other great Martina (Navratilova) which also pick Ana. I'm again not surprised why Hingis also support Ivanovic more than other three serious contenders.

She have great rivarly with sisters and with Maria she dont have anything. But on other hand Ana is only TOP10 player (with Hantuchova) with positive connections and good memories with Martina. She have with Ana some Switzerland and Adidas connections and her last two career big (tier-I) finals she played against Ana including last title (Tokyo) and in both cases they exchange very nice words each others (Ana is always nice when talking about her opponents, especialy if she talking about former great champions, but when Martina give so many compliments to girl out of TOP10 it's surprise). Also career last match when Martina playing like real star she played together with Ana (EXO match at US Open/07 where she played doubles with Ana against Roddick and some creazy US wrestler) and dont forget that Ana is player which beat Vaidisova at last Wimbledon (dont ask me why is that important for this story :devil:)...

So she obviously have her reason to be more close to Ana than other threeserious contenders (Serena, Venus and Maria) like Navratilova also have... but at this thread some posters overreacted like she choose Anna (Chakvetadze) like #1 favorite or her compatriot Patty Schnyder or some other underdog.

Too much disrespect for Martina and Ana in this thread, even for WTAW standards :p :p :p.

serenus_2k8
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
I think its so boring hearing all the tennis 'experts' talk about who is going to win. I wish they gave a bit more depth and tried to predict interesting things like 'The first big upset' or 'The first top 8 seed to be knocked out' or 'Who is going to surpass themselves with a great run 'etc.

Even people who dont like tennis would guess Ana coz shes #1 or Maria/WS coz they havent heard of anyone else. Its so easy!!!

Shimizu Amon
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
It's just an opinion, it doesn't make it so.

Max565
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
I wish they gave a bit more depth and tried to predict interesting things like 'The first big upset' or 'The first top 8 seed to be knocked out' or 'Who is going to surpass themselves with a great run 'etc.

That's a really good point... but I guess it's the interviewer's fault for asking the same cliched questions.