PDA

View Full Version : "Not for a Million dollars will i play Alexandra Stevenson"

~Eclipsed~
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3451754&name=stevenson_alexandra

Thursday, June 19, 2008 |

Posted by Alexandra Stevenson

Editor's note: Alexandra Stevenson, a former Wimbledon semifinalist in 1999, has been out of the game for a prolonged period of time, rehabbing a shoulder injury. Stevenson has pronounced herself healthy this year and is vying to get back into the game. She takes us through her qualifying journey to get into the main draw at Wimbledon.

Last week
I was in Birmingham, England for a grass warmup to Wimbledon. It was my first time back in five years, and it seems like I've been away from the tour forever. Mostly, people still come up to me and say, "Oh, you're the girl who played great at Wimbledon a couple of years ago." It was nine seasons ago. And hey, you're that basketball player's daughter." Or I'll be in the security line at any airport in America and one of the guards will start talking to his pal, "That's Dr. J's girl." In the beginning when everyone found out who my father was, I didn't like the intrusion. Now, I tell my mom, "They are fans. They've got my back." And just so you know, I still haven't met my father. But, for the first time, I don't mind telling you that I am the daughter of Samantha Stevenson and Julius Erving.

I had labral shoulder surgery on September 21, 2004 with Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama. It was a labral tear on my right shoulder -- my serving shoulder. My injury was likened to a baseball pitcher throwing 95 mph fastballs. My serve was 108-126 mph. My second serve was 100-115 mph. My coach used to say, "Do Goran [Ivanisovic] -- down the middle, flat and big." We practiced big serves every day from the time I was 9 years old.

Quarterbacks and pitchers come back from this surgery in about 18 months. Tennis players have a harder road because they have to hit a tennis ball. It took me 3½ with a lot of starts, stops and retirements within the match. A pitching coach can pull a pitcher and rest him for four days. I had to retire as soon as the pain was too much to bear and lose a tournament. We worked on motion, strength and endurance. I had amazing help from Mark Verstegen at Athletes Performance and star physical therapists like Kevin Wilk in Birmingham, Gary Guerrero in New York, Bob Donatelli in Las Vegas and Omi Iwasaki in Los Angeles. And now, Chris Pogson in Santa Monica. These guys brought me back to the game. And so did the training room.

This is the sacred place for athletes and trainers where you lay on tables and get your injuries worked on and talk. The talk kept me going. For the last three years I have talked about everything with professional athletes: guys from soccer, baseball, basketball, football, hockey and wrestling. We talk about girlfriends, boyfriends, politics, business and getting back from the injury and the pain. No one is allowed not to believe. I made my first rap in front of some highly rated NBA draft players and I passed their test. I'm healthy now, so I'm out of the training room and I miss the one of a kind camaraderie that you can only get from team players.

I can see the Wimbledon grounds from my bedroom window. I have lived in the same yellow house on Marryat Road since I was a junior in 1998. It always looks the same and every Wimbledon season you can count on the same moments like saying hello to Jimmy and Colette Evert as they walk past my house to collect their tickets for the day's games.

My mom, Samantha Stevenson, and I live with Nigel and Pam Jennings and their sons, Nick, Simon and Tom. Tom was 3 years old when I first came into the house. Now, Nick is 17 at Kings College Wimbledon, Simon is 16 at Epsom College and Tom is 13 and graduating from Rokeby, a private boys' school. The boys are my passionate supporters and remember every Wimbledon story. They remind me that their favorite moment -- other than my winning matches -- was the year they were allowed to pick up practice balls for Anna Kournikova and me on a Wimbledon court. Anna showed up in black bike shorts and the Wimbledon director, Chris Gorringe, promptly asked her to change into whites. Anna took Harold Solomon's new white shorts out of his bag, cut the tags -- with coach Harold loudly complaining -- and to the delight of my three boys undressed on the court and redressed.

My shoulder got strong in April. I made a six-week run on the clay to gain ranking points -- and clay is not my best surface. I learned to love the clay and moved 200 spots. It was not enough for Wimbledon main draw, but I am close to getting into qualifying.

So, what am I doing out here? I'm working to be No. 1 in the world and win Grand Slam championships. I lost 3½ seasons, but my body is trained and fit. Gil Reyes, Andre Agassi's fitness coach, told me that I'm really a 23 year-old in my body because of my time off. I'll go with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday
I made it into Wimbledon qualifying. I was the next to last one in -- and it was close. Two girls pulled out in the last 10 minutes. My first-round match was against Neuza Silva from Portugal. I won in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. The conditions were windy and noisy. The grounds at Roehampton are notorious for the bunched courts -- bad bounces on the grass -- and airplanes flying out of Heathrow directly over your match. Silva was a tricky player with her quality backhand slice. The toss on my serve was moving too much in the wind and I had to figure out how to get a first serve in the court. My serve was on at the end of the third set and I was happy to go to the training room a winner with a backhand down the line.

I definitely had butterflies in the beginning of the match. I was ready to play, but I felt rushed. I was the first match on and we had a traffic delay before my practice time as we were driving into the grounds. There are times when you see the ball so big and your feet really feel the ground. I didn't feel that today. I had to really work on every point. I competed and that's what pulled me through. It may be qualifying, but it is Wimbledon qualifying. Two more to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday
I lost today on Court A -- the only one in Roehampton grounds that had not been played on during the tournament. My scheduled court was No. 12 and the groundsmen took the court out and moved the matches. Court A felt like a grass field. No excuses. Someone had to win, but I would prefer a proper grass court like Wimbledon. These courts are built on a cricket field that is not meant for tennis. Bottom line -- when you play Wimbledon you had better be in the main draw. Qualifying for any Grand Slam is difficult, but none more than Wimbledon qualis at Roehampton.

Having said that, I wanted to play here because I have worked so hard to bring my shoulder back from surgery. I am healthy and fit. I thought I was ready to play, but there is something to be said about match toughness. I haven't had enough matches to play my best tennis -- and I missed out on a warmup event in Birmingham by one player because of my ranking.

I knew this would not be easy, but my athlete's mentality expected me to win my matches. It was the biggest emotional letdown of my career. This was the first time I was in a position to play in a Grand Slam tournament with a healthy body. I dream big as everyone should, but when the dream dies you feel like you are at the bottom of an abyss with no way out. I cried 10 times throughout the day. My coach, Jason Nius, said he could sense there was more riding on the match than just the match. He said he found it difficult to talk to me when he saw the disappointment and the tears. He thought I was hitting the ball great going into the tournament. I walked to the training room sobbing. Christian, my friend and advisor told me before the match I would need a lot of energy because of my emotions.

Roehampton was the start of my career -- and the disruption of my professional job when I realized I needed shoulder surgery in 2004. I guess you could look at this new start as positive -- and though I lost Wednesday this is the beginning of my comeback. Sometimes in life things don't always go the way you want them to and you have to adjust.

On Saturday, Jenny Mitchell and the Hurlingham Club asked me to play in an exhibition against Maria Sharapova. I have played several Garden Parties at Hurlingham during my early career and the club members were excited to see me healthy and playing at such a high level. A Garden Party at Hurlingham is a throwback to traditional grass tennis. I agreed to play. Sharapova sent a message through her agent: "Not for a million dollars will I play Alexandra Stevenson." I'm glad I still strike fear in a top player.

Not sure what's funnier: What Maria said or Alex thinking Maria doesn't want to play her because she is scared. Gotta love delusional Alex.:hearts:

ViennaCalling
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Something is still wrong with Stevenson. :tape:

Destiny
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
:o

debopero
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM
That was kind of mean of Maria :unsure: .

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM
:lol:

Alex is a sweet girl though. Just was raised in a bad environment.

Drake1980
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
:eek::eek::lol:

Vincey!
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I doubt Maria's scared of Lexy :lol: :rolls: :haha:

Nice Article though about Lexy, quite delusional though, being #1. winning a GS`:help:...sorry, I'd be surprised if she get back in the top 100, and deadly shocked if she was top 50 again!

Poova
Maria :spit: :angel:

Vaidisova Ruled
Maria is such a bitch:o

Sexy Lexy she is afraid, knowing you are sooooooo much sexier:drool:
I really really love Maria. But that is just gross:mad:

Pebbles
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Would she play her for ranking points? :shrug:

selesbooz
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Maria is such a bitch:o

Sexy Lexy she is afraid, knowing you are sooooooo much sexier:drool:

Your a b****, Masha doesn't have to play her sorry ass.

How you Alexander know that she even said that. If it came from her agent and to the director how would she know. And what if the the agent make it up. You people read one statement and it true:help::rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Wow, that was quite :cat: from Maria. :lol:

Kipling
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Federer wouldn't play me for a million bucks either. I'm glad I can strike fear in the GOAT.

kwilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I hope she was being facetious when she said that she still strikes fear into the top players...I can actually understand the being number 1 and winning slams part because that is what EVERY player dreams of but if she thinks that Sharapova is in anyway fearful to play her she doesn't really understand how the top players operate.

Hashim.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
:lol:

Russianboy
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
:hearts::lol:

kwilliams
Federer wouldn't play me for a million bucks either. I'm glad I can strike fear in the GOAT.

This one time I offered to play Venus and Serena at the same time. Never heard anything back from them. I didn't realise how good I was until it dawned on me that they were too scared to play me...

Kworb
:spit:

Natash.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Nice stories. :lol: Especially about Kournikova. :angel:

Kipling
This one time I offered to play Venus and Serena at the same time. Never heard anything back from them. I didn't realise how good I was until it dawned on me that they were too scared to play me...

:lol: ;)

Adal
OMG :haha:

Natash.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm going to think she was joking about that comment but it's Sexy Lexy. :tape:

esquímaux
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Wow! Maria said THAT! :lol: I suppose she's got better things to do though, right?

schorsch
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
How do players in general talk about / see Stevenson. ?

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
i understand of Maria not playing a cheap exho vs alex, but the statement her agent releases is classless to the max.

schorsch
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
well his name is max, so :P

Slumpsova
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
can't believe i'd say this but Maria did the right thing :o i wouldn't play Alexandra Stevenwhore either, not for a gazillion dollars. she is shameful and disgusting. her blogs proved i'm soooo right about that.

schorsch
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Well, can anyone tell me a bit about her? Why she seems not be very liked ?

Slumpsova
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
and i wouldn't believe that it's been 9 years, everyone on the street of London still recognize her. that's a pathetic bullshit. they rather remember her as a w/o queen than SF flukey.

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Your a b****, Masha doesn't have to play her sorry ass.

How you Alexander know that she even said that. If it came from her agent and to the director how would she know. And what if the the agent make it up. You people read one statement and it true:help::rolleyes:

learn grammar, it would be you're as in you are, idiot!

are you racist btw?
you hate Sexy Lexy, and both Williams Sisters and call them brothers, is that just me, but you hate 3 black tennis players out of the i am gonna risk it and say 6 female black tennis players there are that are big names.
Oo and I love how you call her Alexander and Williams brothers:o
you are disgustingly racist:o

Adal
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
are you bitter that she has made a Grand Slam semi and Nicole hasn't:(
it's alright, i am sure Nikki will find form within the next 3 years:)
:haha:
AO 2007 anyone?

Slumpsova
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
are you bitter that she has made a Grand Slam semi and Nicole hasn't:(
it's alright, i am sure Nikki will find form within the next 3 years:)
i'm bitter about nothing. i just hate her to my guts.

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
AO 2007 anyone?

ooo, i forgot:o

~Eclipsed~
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Well, can anyone tell me a bit about her? Why she seems not be very liked ?

Do you have an hour?:lol: Just kidding?

People don't like her because of delusional statements like these and some of her past bitchy on and off court actions. Also people can't stand her fluke semifinal appearance at Wimbledon. But i love these things about her...makes her one interesting colorful character.:cool:

and i wouldn't believe that it's been 9 years, everyone on the street of London still recognize her. that's a pathetic bullshit. they rather remember her as a w/o queen than SF flukey.

you mean retirement queen. get it right. Kthx.

But on a serious note, i'm sure people like the Everts still recognize her. She receieved a lot of publicity over the years.

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Do you have an hour?:lol: Just kidding?

People don't like her because of delusional statements like these and some of her past bitchy on and off court actions. Also people can't stand her fluke semifinal appearance at Wimbledon. But i love these things about her...makes her one interesting colorful character.:cool:

you mean retirement queen. get it right. Kthx.

But on a serious note, i'm sure people like the Everts still recognize her. She receieved a lot of publicity over the years.

you forgot to talk about her crazy ass mother Samantha:)

Slumpsova
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
BTW Stevenson is the only player who makes Sharapova looks like goddess.

Hashim.
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
ooo, i forgot:o

and RG 06??:lol:

Adal
Totally :eek: I forgot about that one :)

Uranium

shut up, Sexy Lexy made a SF before her atleast:p

~Eclipsed~
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
you forgot to talk about her crazy ass mother Samantha:)

Wow!:eek: How can i forget about that crazy bitch?!:lol:

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'll always remember the story of Lindsay kicking Alex's bag across the locker room. Also Samantha claiming that almost every player is a lesbian and all the french are racist. :haha:

davidmario
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'll always remember the story of Lindsay kicking Alex's bag across the locker room. Also Samantha claiming that almost every player is a lesbian and all the french are racist. :haha:

Lindsay:haha::rocker: I bet Jagger will be the next Mike Tyson!!:drool:

jazar
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
will stevenson never go away?

markdelaney
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Alex's ranking only really got so high because she played Capriati twice and beat her (When Jen was number one) and got huge bonus points, as they used to get in those days. Even at her best she was barely top 50.

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM

will you?:rolleyes:

Danči Dementia
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
:o:rolleyes:

jazar
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
will you?:rolleyes:

not a chance

darrinbaker00
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Why aren't you spending your free hour working out in the yard like the other inmates--I mean, residents?

Berlin_Calling
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
i have a soft spot in my heart for Lexy but i doubt people all across America are recognizing her and whispering to each other 'thats Dr. J's daughter.' it probably happened like once in the past 9 years :o

RVD
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Why aren't you spending your free hour working out in the yard like the other inmates--I mean, residents?:haha:
Because even the other inmates can't stand him. ;)

I would not be a bit surprised if Maria said that. Not at all. She just exudes classlessness.
As far as Alex's comment, it seems clear to me that she was [as someone already pointed out] being facetious and blowing Maria's foul attitude off.

elise1986
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
mhm, i highly doubt Maria said that. newspaper always ad sth wrong

canuckfan
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Do any of you really believe Sharapova said that?

We're talking about Alexandra Stevenson here. The girl who claimed to have been injured for the last few years but who still played 15+ tournaments each year.

Ryan
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM
ROTF. Really though, who knows how this came about. Maria's agent could have easily said - will you play Stevenson? Maria: no way. Agent: how much will it take? Maria: more than $1 million (laughing). It might not have been entirely mean spirited...but if it was thats awesome. :lol:

Wolverines08
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Alex in early 2002 was a joy to watch. She had a huge serve, a huge one handed backhand that she would usually hit hard and sometimes slice it to come to net, she was a pretty good volleyer, and her forehand was big. She was even moving better than she ever had. I think the thing thats hard for Alex is she knows how good she can be. She's heard it from all the great coaches and legend players, and you sit back and ask "does she REALLY believe". I guess she has to answer that question with her results.

Belmont Lad
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM
This chick is bat-shit crazy. :haha: Someome call the ward and have a thorazine drip ready.....

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM

misael
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:02 AM
she's delusional. she wants to be # 1 and win grand slams, why not say ,i want to make the top fifty and win a tier 3, and work her way from there, even top players say they don't think about the rankings, they work hard and they know if they do well the ranking will follow.she's also 27, not getting younger.

Dawson.
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM
wow she needs to get over herself

Slumpsova
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
OMG i just found this.
I lost 3½ seasons, but my body is trained and fit. Gil Reyes, Andre Agassi's fitness coach, told me that I'm really a 23 year-old in my body because of my time off. I'll go with that.
i guess with this logic, Serena is really an 18 years old since she spent a lot lesser time in tennis than her :tape: and Hingis can still play juniors.

MakarovaFan
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM
Alex's ranking only really got so high because she played Capriati twice and beat her (When Jen was number one) and got huge bonus points, as they used to get in those days. Even at her best she was barely top 50.
Wow ok i know the girl is delusional but she deserves serious credit for her 01/02/ early 03.....she played like a top 20 player.Um JCap wasnt the only top player she beat(dokic,myskina,dementieva,martinez,hantuchova, coetzer,maleeva,smashnova,sugiyama,and jcap x3)
and she made 4th round BOTH IW &Miami,2 Finals,6 QF's(two were Tier 1) all in 02..........sorry but she proved she wasnt a Wimbledon Fluke that year

selesbooz
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM

are you racist btw?
you hate Sexy Lexy, and both Williams Sisters and call them brothers, is that just me, but you hate 3 black tennis players out of the i am gonna risk it and say 6 female black tennis players there are that are big names.

Your right my grammer is horrible. :lol: proof read:help:
Anyhow, your the f****** racist. Why would you assume that I don't like the Williams' because they are black? How do you know that I am not black? I dislike like them for the content of the character and mot the color of their skin. that is sad ass racisim to believe that only black people and like black player and white people and only like or dislike white players. You need to look mirror.

On the Williams Brother thing:help:I put that up because alot of people think that they do:tape:. Everyone at work. Also, i was listening to The Tom Joyner Moring Show and he said that if it wasn't for Mac make-up and Weave they would look like Men:eek:. BTW tom is black.

So:rolleyes:to you.

Uranium
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM
Your right my grammer is horrible. :lol: proof read:help:
Anyhow, your the f****** racist. Why would you assume that I don't like the Williams' because they are black? How do you know that I am not black? I dislike like them for the content of the character and mot the color of their skin. that is sad ass racisim to believe that only black people and like black player and white people and only like or dislike white players. You need to look mirror.

On the Williams Brother thing:help:I put that up because alot of people think that they do:tape:. Everyone at work. Also, i was listening to The Tom Joyner Moring Show and he said that if it wasn't for Mac make-up and Weave they would look like Men:eek:. BTW tom is black.

So:rolleyes:to you.

i can't be racist, i am white and love black people:), color doesn't matter to me
No, so you think those 3 women look like men?
Coincidence that they are black, though, only coincidence:o

Lulu.
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Lexy. :hearts:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:44 AM
What a bitch (Maria)

What a delusional fool (Alex)

Chunchun
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
that girl is as :bs: as always :o

tennisbuddy12
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
I met Alex in Lawrenceville last October and she is one of the most nicest players there. I hope she can reach top 100 again. Im rooting for her...Shes so down to earth

Renalicious
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
LOL Battle of the bitches! I totally love Lexy OMG lol. :lol: :inlove:

GO KICK THEIR ASSES LEXY! US OPEN time you will! :bowdown:

Sexy Lexy def. Trembling Maria 6-0 6-0. :hearts:

drake3781
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:58 AM
i understand of Maria not playing a cheap exho vs alex, but the statement her agent releases is classless to the max.

Assuming that is true (we have it third-hand already), it is classless, you are right. But her agent shouldn't have repeated it - the agent should be more tactful.

are you racist btw?

Congrats on being the first (and only so far) to play the race card. :o :rolleyes:

Do tell!?! Details, please. :p

i have a soft spot in my heart for Lexy but i doubt people all across America are recognizing her and whispering to each other 'thats Dr. J's daughter.' it probably happened like once in the past 9 years :o

Actually, I think they do, at least every time she plays. Probably in the general public, away from tennis, not so much.

I met Alex in Lawrenceville last October and she is one of the most nicest players there. I hope she can reach top 100 again. Im rooting for her...Shes so down to earth

What is your secret? You must have a really charismatic personality! You meet so many players. You coming to Cincy this summer... sometime in mid-August I'm pretty sure. :wavey:

arbalest
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM
Calling Maria a bitch here is naive because the comment certainly isn't true. The kind of outfit IMG and Eisenbud run is too professional to say down a phone, "She says, not for a million!!!". The Stevensons have a mile-long record of producing this brand of horseshit.

LoveFifteen
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Well, it is pretty doubtful that Maria actually said this, but if she did, then I must :worship: her.

drake3781
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:13 AM
Well, it is pretty doubtful that Maria actually said this, but if she did, then I must :worship: her.

The funny thing is, she just might have. :p Remember her statements about the photo shoot in Rome, and he fines? She may hav decided to start speaking her mind and f*** anyone who doesn't like it. Let's see what else supposedly comes out of her mouth the rest of the season, to see if she is going to either tone it down or keep it up.

pittsburghsteely
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:15 AM
You Are A Liar. Ya Dirty Dog. Tom Joyner Never Said That About Serena And Venus.

DimaDinosaur
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:28 AM
Maria needs to shut up. There's plenty of homeless people on the street and for her to just casually say a million dollars is worth nothing, she needs to get her plain, unsexy face checked

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:51 AM
Alex is like the Omarosa of the WTA Tour. This girl's clock has been stuck at 14:59 for almost a decade now and she simply won't go away.

I feel bad for her because she's a nice girl, but her mother has completely alienated them from the entire tennis world (and probably the outside world as well, quite frankly).

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:51 AM

I'll bet he would. For a cool Million? Of course he would.

Anyway, Good for Alex AND good for Maria!

I prefer to look at this as positive for both girls.

For Alex, it's a comment she can spin anyway she chooses. She can say Maria's afraid or she can say Maria's insulting her or she can say Maria's actually COMPLIMENTING her. 'lex chose to talk tough. Hell, why not. It's all she's got right now, and at least she didn't accuse Maria of disrespecting her.

For Maria, it could easily be construed as she was throwin' Alex a bone by implying she respects her game too much to want to play her. And in a sense, I don't blame Maria one bit. It makes no sense for her to play her, there's nothing in it for her. If she wins (and she would), big deal. :shrug: she beat Alexandra stevenson. She gets no props for that. But if Alex plays her close or even- Heaven forbid- WINS, Maria loses a lot of gloss and confidence, and people would start to talk.

So, I say good for both girls.

Slutati
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:13 AM
OMG, who does she think she is:weirdo:

Whatever, Alex you're still sexy:hearts:

Slutati
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Maria needs to shut up. There's plenty of homeless people on the street and for her to just casually say a million dollars is worth nothing, she needs to get her plain, unsexy face checked
:worship::worship::worship:

cheo23
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM

Lol you are so right!!!

TNT96
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:49 AM

One can only pray!

Jeff
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Lol i'm so tired of hearing Alex's dramatic sob stories. I usually route for comeback kids...but give it up already.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Wow, I can't believe Maria said that. :eek: :haha: Total bitch. :p

Good luck, Alex. Although I feel like this is the 4th or 5th time I've read about her "starting" her comeback and "finally feeling healthy" etc, etc...

Corswandt
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM
Buy Alexandra Stevenson for what she's actually worth.

Sell her for what she thinks she's worth.

Deal of the decade.

Kipling
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'll bet he would. For a cool Million? Of course he would.

When I told Fed I'd go easy on him by playing left-handed, so he could save face, he hung up on me. Chickened out.

AnomyBC
Jun 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well I'd definitely play Alexandra Stevenson for a million dollars. I'd probably win too :lol:

~Eclipsed~
Jun 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I guess Maria should have played her for more practice. :haha:

I'm just kidding(?) Maria fans.:p

mirzalover
Jun 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Alex would have killed her

Rocketta
Jun 27th, 2008, 05:46 AM
you know you are wrong for bumping this thread. :lol:

~Eclipsed~
Jun 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM
you know you are wrong for bumping this thread. :lol:

but hopefully funny.:lol:

sasha&tennis
Jun 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
She should have just cancelled without a reason. Statements like that do not help her any at all. She is already the most hated player on tour and as a roll model (which in my opinion she is not) being shoved down our throats all of the time she of all people should be careful what she says. She is just a few steps away from losing a few of her sponsors because the thrill is gone.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Stevenson's record at Grand Slams:
1R - 16
2R - 4
SF (aka the biggest fluke of the decade) - 1

If anything, it's Stevenson who should pay $1 million in order to play someone like Sharapova.