PDA

View Full Version : Wertheim's women's seed report

Sha_ra_po_va
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I.com's Jon Wertheim breaks down the men's and women's seeds at Wimbledon. Read on for the top first-round matchups, dark horses to keep an eye on and his predicted winners.

1. Ana Ivanovic: Can the WTA's new star make it two Slams in four weeks? With her booming serve and forehand, she's a tantalizing pick. But between the exhaustion factor and AI's modest track record on grass, we prefer Sharapova.

2. Jelena Jankovic: Now that Ivanovic has left the club, "Hammering Jank" becomes the "Best Player Never to Have Won a Slam." We're unapologetic fans of her character and disposition; but at some point she needs to take that proverbial next step.

3. Maria Sharapova: First, does it really make sense to seed her below Jankovic, who holds only the slimmest points lead and has nothing close to Sharapova's track record at WB? Anyway, MS is eager to exorcise the disappointment of France and quell Ana-mania. It says here the well-rested Russian regains her throne on the lawns. Barring injury, she ought to sail through to the semis. Then, it's about guts.

4. Svetlana Kuznetsova: One of the few contenders who bothered with a tune-up event -- yet that was unsuccessful. Koozie has the game and athleticism to win any event she enters, but seems to lack self-belief right now.

5. Elena Dementieva: Steady Russian blew her best chance for a slam this year in Paris. Her serve -- vulnerable to begin with -- is particularly dubious on grass. There are also the lingering questions about confidence. Tough draw has her playing hot prospect Bacsinszky and then Davenport just to get to the fourth round.

6. Serena Williams: If the body and mind are willing, she could easily win on the lawn. But that can be a big condition, especially given how "off" she looked in Paris. Third rounder against Mauresmo is intriguing.

7. Venus Williams: She's won four of the last eight Wimbledon titles and she's seeded seventh? What? Not much in the way of encouraging results coming in, but since when has that meant anything? As always, pick against her at your own peril.

8. Anna Chakvetadze: Here's a stock on the decline. The great untold story: How has Chakvetadze's off-season trauma affected her tennis?

9. Dinara Safina: An intriguing player, even before her run to the final in Paris. She probably lacks the movement to win big on grass, but she's playing top five ball lately.

10. Daniela Hantuchova: A no-show at the French, Hantuchova is a fine grass player but there are lingering questions about whether her brittle body can hold up.

11. Marion Bartoli: A finalist last year, Bartoli was enduring a miserable year, but seems to have found a second life on grass. Won't replicate last year's run -- even if Connery, Brosnan, Moore and Dalton all sit behind the baseline -- but she could certainly live up to her seeding.

12. Patty Schnyder: Loopy lefty consistently underperforms on grass.

13. Vera Zvonareva: As always, props on resurrecting her career. But the Lachrymose One may well lose off the bat to a solid Casey Dellacqua.

14. Agnieszka Radwanksa: The "Brassy Pole" lacks the weapons to threaten the Big Guns but remains a feisty fun-to-watch player. Tough first rounder against Benesova but keep an eye on her.

15. Agnes Szavay: A Jankovic in the making, Hungarian tends to overplay -- 14 events already this year! -- and undercut her chances with fatigue. Still, the breakthrough will come soon.

16. Viktoria Azarenka: Here's a player to star in your program. The pride of Scottsdale is probably not ready to win majors; but she's a powerful striker who knows what to do when she can convince herself to head netward.
Seeds 17-32

17. Alize Cornet: It's unclear if she has aptitude on grass, but the vectors are certainly headed in the right direction. As opposed to ...

18. Nicole Vaidisova: One has to believe this brutal slump will eventually end.

23. Katarina Srbotnik: Fresh off a big win over Serena Williams in Paris, Srbotnik is perhaps the best volleyer in the women's game and ought to do well on grass.

25. Lindsay Davenport: One wishes she entered in better health. But any former winner -- even if it's nearly a decade later -- deserves consideration.

29. Amelie Mauresmo: See above. Her game and focus have drifted, but she did win the darn tournament two years ago!

Alona (28) and Katreryna Bondarenko: They both can move, they both can volley and the latter won a tune-up.
Dark-horse nation

Sabine Lisicki: Big serving German could be dangerous.

Sam Stosur: Attacking Aussie is back after battling illness.

Timea Bacsinzky: Swiss prospect generating significant buzz.

Tamira Paszek: Second weeker in 2007, Austrian teen appears destined for top 10.
First round matches to watch

Alize Cornet v. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova: Two of the better teens out there.

Lisicki vs. Bartoli: Tough first rounder for Bartoli, the defending finalist.

Mauresmo vs. Ashley Harkleroad: Miss August draws former champ.

Serena Williams vs. Kaia Kanepi: Can rolling Estonian continue inspired play from Paris?
Blue plate upset special

Casey Dellacqua to beat Patty Schnyder
Doubles winners

Ai Sugiyama and Katarina Srebotnik
Semis

Ivanovic vs. Serena Williams

Sharapova vs. Venus
Final

Sharapova vs. Serena
Champion

Sharapova

:worship::bounce::wavey:

ViennaCalling
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Tamira in the dark-horse-list :tape: :lol: :bigcry:

lizchris
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I guess he didn't take into consideratioin that Maria has a 0-2 record against Venus at Wimbledon, having lost a set 6-1 in both matches.:rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
and that Maria hasn't beaten Serena since 2004 :lol:

brent-o
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Wow, those are some crazy picks. Sharapova to beat both Williams sisters back to back? At Wimbledon? Yeah, and maybe afterward Serena and Maria can team up to win the doubles title.

pcrtennis
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
haha, he picked Ai and Kata for the championship! I hopw it come true!!!!

selesbooz
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
and that Maria hasn't beaten Serena since 2004 :lol:

And Serena has even been to a Wimbledon Semi since 2004. Who is he fooling:lol:

Natash.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
WTF is wrong with his obsession for the Bondarenko sisters? :lol: Are they doing something to him that we don't know?

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
will believe it when i see it...:o she won't be getting past venus at wimby

schorsch
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah, everytime the Bond-sis are mentionned in these threads :lol:

kadirelf
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
puhahahahahah wertheim puhahahahahahahah

Boreas
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Kanepi is hardly beating British girls ranked around 500:lol:

pav
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
13. Vera Zvonareva: As always, props on resurrecting her career. But the Lachrymose One may well lose off the bat to a solid Casey Dellacqua.

This is a strange prediction seeing that the Lachromose one and Adam Gilchrist's little sister are at different ends of the draw:confused:

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Love how Venus and Serena fans are getting so insecure and offended by a report by this random dude that doesn't even mean anything. ;)

slydevil6142
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Im not offended.... every year they pick maria over venus ..... hasnt stopped the results though! I dont think Maria can beat either one of them there this year but if they were both to lose this title is hers!

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Maria isn't a wild pick. I think she's the betting favorite.
She beat the same field in Melbourne.

Escape
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Didn't he say that Alona would make the top 10 :lol: :tape:

Slumpsova
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
how could he say Agnes played too much? :o

mirzalover
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I just cant see Serena losing to Maria in the finals of wimbledon. I dont why since she did it once but I think Serena would beat her with out much problems

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Wow, those are some crazy picks. Sharapova to beat both Williams sisters back to back? At Wimbledon? Yeah, and maybe afterward Serena and Maria can team up to win the doubles title.
:haha:

bwahahahahaha
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Maria beating williams sisters back to back at Wimbledon :tape:

:spit::spit::spit:

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Will some shut him the fuck up once and for all?

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
The draw in Melbourne was Justine, Serena then Venus.
But Maria played Justine Jelena and Ana.
Could be the same here.
She's 2-1 v Serena in finals. If Maria makes it 3-1 in finals here, that's a good statement

G&R
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
there isn't Nadia

bwahahahahaha
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
The draw in Melbourne was Justine, Serena then Venus.
But Maria played Justine Jelena and Ana.
Could be the same here.
She's 2-1 v Serena in finals. If she makes it 3-1 in finals, that's a good statement

Cut the crap :rolleyes: Can she beat Venus and Serena back to back at Wimbledon or not?

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Maria has a very realistic chance of winning Wimbledon this year. However she is not going to win Wimbledon by beating both Williams sisters in the final two rounds. The Williams sisters have shown over the years that they are definately vunerable in the early rounds but once they reach the semis they are very very tough to beat. With the recent record both sisters have against Sharapova I simply can not see Maria beating not just one but both Williams sisters.

On the other hand, it isn't at all unrealistic to suggest that there is a very real possibility both sisters could be out of the competition by the quarterfinals. Serena Williams hasn't got past the quarterfinals of her last 5 Grand Slams. It also isn't at all uncommon for Venus to lose in the early rounds of a Grand Slam. So Sharapova might very well be able to win Wimbledon without even having to face either of the Williams sisters.

Aryman3
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Strange and stupid underestimating of Aga who beat some "big guns" several times already. \
Rather typical for Anglosaxon commentators

maddogz48
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
:lol: Sharapova will never beat Serena again. Serena gets way too fired up to destroy Sharapova when they face each other.

I honestly can't even see Sharapova passing Venus in the semi's if they make it that far. Venus will crush her on grass. :)

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Cut the crap :rolleyes: Can she beat Venus and Serena back to back at Wimbledon or not?It depends who's playing better.
Maria was the best player in Melbourne. If she's the best player here, the draw doesn't matter.

-VSR-
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Ahh Sharapova fans increase the size of their abnoxious heads.

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Maria has a very realistic chance of winning Wimbledon this year. However she is not going to win Wimbledon by beating both Williams sisters in the final two rounds. The Williams sisters have shown over the years that they are definately vunerable in the early rounds but once they reach the semis they are very very tough to beat. With the recent record both sisters have against Sharapova I simply can not see Maria beating not just one but both Williams sisters.

On the other hand, it isn't at all unrealistic to suggest that there is a very real possibility both sisters could be out of the competition by the quarterfinals. Serena Williams hasn't got past the quarterfinals of her last 5 Grand Slams. It also isn't at all uncommon for Venus to lose in the early rounds of a Grand Slam. So Sharapova might very well be able to win Wimbledon without even having to face either of the Williams sisters.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

You really do know your stuff, Chris. ;)

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
It depends who's playing better.
Maria was the best player in Melbourne. If she's the best player here, the draw doesn't matter.
:lol: Shhhhh.

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Well I'm a die-hard Serena fanatic but I don't underestimate Masha like my fellow comrades seem to do. Last year when Masha was sucking ass I predicted she would still make the finals of the Championships and I was nearly laughed off as insane by most people on this board. Yeah, Serena's better than Masha and I do favor her over Masha, but the difference between them isn't nearly as big as some people think. Lessor players than Masha have taken Serena down in slams so it's not unfathomable.

As for Vee, it's a lot easier picturing Masha beating her, after all she has a winning record over her. If the argument is their H2H records o grass, then I have to remind folks that Masha has a winning record over Serena on grass.

Masha isn't my pick to win Wimby this year and lord knows she's the last person I want to see holding that trophy, but it's not too hard to believe she could; even having to face Serena and Vee.

This is the state of the women's game today, the days of guarantees are long gone. We already know that on any given day any player can beat any other player and lately that's seems more true than ever before.

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM
What kind of record does John have picking winners anyway, aren't his picks like Bud and Tracy's, the kiss of death!

RenaSlam.
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:13 AM
What kind of record does John have picking winners anyway, aren't his picks like Bud and Tracy's, the kiss of death!

Yes. Rarely does he pick a winner except for the obvious Justine at RG.

Tennisstar86
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:18 AM
yes they are like bud's in the kiss of death.... Yeah.... He's crazy to think Maria is gonna beat Serena and Venus back to back at Wimbledon....

Why? Because if Venus makes that semi, on center court? She'll be damn near impossible to beat.... And Venus wont need her best tennis to beat Maria... Whereas Maria will... The fact that Maria hasnt even come close in their previous matches which were still "good" competitive matches says something..

The lets just be real. Serena has Maria's number.... she wakes up with a smile on her face at the chance to tap that ass one more time..As hungry as Serena is for another GS....not likely she'll let Maria beat her in the final if she makes it there after fighting off a tough Venus in the semis.......

His picks would have made more sense if He didnt have Venus making the semifinals...

Renalicious
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
This is sooooo wrong. LOL at him picking Sharapova against Venus in the Semis and Sharapova over Serena in the finals. Seriously if the two WS get in the SF I really highly doubt they'll lose.

Привет
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM
Ah, yeah, Vera could lose to Casey, if they were anywhere near each other in the draw. :lol: And since when is 'Koozie' a nickname for Sveta?

ilovethewilliams
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:31 AM
strange people think Wimbledon belongs to sharapova because she won the title in 2004. I highly doubt sharapova can beat either Venus or Serena at wimbledon much less back to back if they all make it to the semifinals.

Brooks.
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM
if Sharapova were to beat Serena in a Wimbledon final again, I think I might have to stop watching tennis :scared: :tape:

darrinbaker00
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
if Sharapova were to beat Serena in a Wimbledon final again, I think I might have to stop watching tennis :scared: :tape:
Why?

young_gunner913
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Ah, yeah, Vera could lose to Casey, if they were anywhere near each other in the draw. :lol: And since when is 'Koozie' a nickname for Sveta?

He spelled it wrong, it's Kuzzie. She has many nicknames on tour, Kuzzie, Sveta and she used to be called Special-K.

Picking Maria to beat back to back Williams sisters in the semis and finals is kind of silly IMO. If just one of them gets to the semis, we'll have our champion. I think Maria has a good grass game, but even if she gets past Venus, she'll be in no shape to face Serena.