PDA

View Full Version : USTA has delayed announcing its Olympic squad

nike1
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
According to the Bob Larson's Daily Tennis News

We Hearó

--that the USTA has delayed announcing its Olympic squad because they canít decide who to name on the second womenís doubles team, with Venus and Serena Williams on one team, but who to name on the other? Leizel Huber, Lindsay Davenport or Lisa Raymond?

kwilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Has the USTA said this is the reason for delaying their announcement or is this just speculation?

MH0861
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hope Davenport/Raymond, Raymond and Huber have no experience together, it's the much better chance for a medal because they know each other and play together so well.

starin
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hope Davenport/Raymond, Raymond and Huber have no experience together, it's the much better chance for a medal because they know each other and play together so well.

apparently raymond has been sucking a lot this yaer though. at least that's what I read from Steffi62 in the doubles forum.

So singles will be: Serena, Davenport, Venus, Craybas(??)
I expect doubles to be: SV, Davenport/Huber.

I don't think you can deny Huber a chance to play since she's no.1 and Davenport well who the hell is going to say no to Davenport. Raymond's best chance is if Davenport decides to skip doubles, which I doubt cuz she really wants another medal.

alwayshingis
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Huber absolutely deserves a spot on the team. The sticking point is that Lindsay would much rather play with Raymond, but you can't snub the top doubles player just because no one wants to play with her.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
why not :shrug: she's #1 with someone else and raymond and davenport work well together...

tonybotz
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM
lindsay needs to withdraw from doubles. she's a singles player, she doesnt need to hog the limelight. also, she's had her olympic moment, let someone else have a chance. its so selfish.

pcrtennis
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I hope Raymond gets its.

Huber is not an American...she switched nationalities because she couldn't play in the olympics as a South African doubles player...please.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
lindsay needs to withdraw from doubles. she's a singles player, she doesnt need to hog the limelight. also, she's had her olympic moment, let someone else have a chance. its so selfish.
Well, why dont we let other countries win the gold? no?

Kristoffer
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Huber with Bethanie Mattek?

Ellery
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
What a dilemma :confused. I think Lindsay and Lisa sounds good, but it kinda sucks for Liezel.

Jeff
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Well, if choosing a doubles team is so difficult, it shouldn't be. Sure, Leizel is the top doubles player, but I do believe that Davenport/Raymond should have seniority and should get the spot. Liezel just switched nationalities...and I personally find it ridiculous that she would be given the spot.

LindsayRulz
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
It would be so unfair if they ignore Raymond again this time, wasn't she world no.1 in 2004 and they didn't select her?

pcrtennis
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Raymond has played for the USA for years and Huber has played for this country only for a few months...DO NOT PICK HUBER!

Vincey!
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Well, if choosing a doubles team is so difficult, it shouldn't be. Sure, Leizel is the top doubles player, but I do believe that Davenport/Raymond should have seniority and should get the spot. Liezel just switched nationalities...and I personally find it ridiculous that she would be given the spot.

I think the same, but in the other hand, she's still the #1 double player, and she's playing for the USA now. They have to think about which team will give them a medal.

MLF
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Lindsay and Lisa have won a title this season and I think should be selected if they want to play, they've played a lot of Fed Cup tennis over the years.

starin
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
It would be so unfair if they ignore Raymond again this time, wasn't she world no.1 in 2004 and they didn't select her?

who played in 2004?
I know one team was Venus/Rubin.
what was the other?

MLF
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM
who played in 2004?
I know one team was Venus/Rubin.
what was the other?

Raymond / Navratilova

LindsayRulz
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Raymond / Navratilova

My bad then, I thought Raymond didn't play :lol:

darrinbaker00
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Actually, that was in 2000. Lisa Raymond played with Martina Navratilova in 2004.

Even though the Williams sisters wound up winning the gold medal in 2000, I thought Billie Jean King was wrong for leaving Raymond off the team. I hope Zina Garrison doesn't make the same mistake with Liezel Huber this time.

cheo23
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Let's hope Liezel isn't on the team!!!

Just Do It
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Is Lindsay playing singles ? If yes, Raymond/Hubber should play doubles.

clonesheep
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Maybe folks at US Olympic Committee and NBC (the network who will broadcast Olympics) are pursuing Ashley Harkleroad to join the team. She is eligible if she wants to play. That would be great publicity and good for TV rating. When team USA marches into Beijing stadium NBC will have someone to focus on.

Actually, the presence of August Playboy covergirl at the Olympics will draw worldwide attention, even overshadow Sharapova. US Olympic Committee should seriously consider it.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
apparently raymond has been sucking a lot this yaer though. at least that's what I read from Steffi62 in the doubles forum.

So singles will be: Serena, Davenport, Venus, Craybas(??)
I expect doubles to be: SV, Davenport/Huber.

I don't think you can deny Huber a chance to play since she's no.1 and Davenport well who the hell is going to say no to Davenport. Raymond's best chance is if Davenport decides to skip doubles, which I doubt cuz she really wants another medal.

Lindsay has said she would play both if asked but I would play Huber with Raymond. They are both excellent doubles players are likely to gel a lot quicker than Huber / Davenport combo. But at the same time I would love to see Lindsay get the double chance. :) There isn't much chance of Lindsay paterning with Lisa at at the olympics as Huber will get one spot on the ranking. The Willams sisters shouldn't be given high proiority for doubles for their lack of regard for playing Fed cup they should make the teams Huber / Raymond and Davenport / Graybas .:)

ce
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
i dont know
but i think it depends on Lindsay,if she wants to play doubles too,they cant say no :)

Dawn Marie
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Forget about Huber. She switched nationalities cause she wants to play the Olympics. The Olympics is all about playing for your country and Lisa and Lindsay have been sweating it out for their country for years. The choice is obvious Liezel hasn't been a US citizen for that long. Shew has to earn her stripes.

Dawn Marie
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Lindsay has said she would play both if asked but I would play Huber with Raymond. They are both excellent doubles players are likely to gel a lot quicker than Huber / Davenport combo. But at the same time I would love to see Lindsay get the double chance. :) There isn't much chance of Lindsay paterning with Lisa at at the olympics as Huber will get one spot on the ranking. The Willams sisters shouldn't be given high proiority for doubles for their lack of regard for playing Fed cup they should make the teams Huber / Raymond and Davenport / Graybas .:)
Venus and Serena have played many fed cups in the past and present. "LACK OF REGARD?" Are you that ignorant? Venus and Serena will be a SHOO IN.

wtatourfan
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
venus, serena and Lindsay!

I would love to see them there!

ArturoAce.
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM
couldnt it be Huber and Craybas since they were 2003 madrid champs and 2006 birmingham runner-ups??

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:10 AM
Don't the doubles team entrys go by rankings ( sans WCs ) like the singles :confused:. Huber and Lisa are the top 2 ranked USA girls in doubles. Lets move on...;)

drake3781
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
They shouldn't be delaying to try to figure this out. It gives the impression that spots can be bought or given for factors other than objective merit.

If somebody who earned this spot doesn't get it, I hope she makes a huge fucking deal of it. The committee needs to have rules to cover this, and use them.

Maybe folks at US Olympic Committee and NBC (the network who will broadcast Olympics) are pursuing Ashley Harkleroad to join the team. She is eligible if she wants to play. That would be great publicity and good for TV rating. When team USA marches into Beijing stadium NBC will have someone to focus on.

Actually, the presence of August Playboy covergirl at the Olympics will draw worldwide attention, even overshadow Sharapova. US Olympic Committee should seriously consider it.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that we don't need. Hormonal men making decision on women's careers based on who will give them the biggest erection. Give. Me. A. Break. :fiery:

Don't the doubles team entrys go by rankings ( sans WCs ) like the singles :confused:. Huber and Lisa are the top 2 ranked USA girls in doubles. Lets move on...;)

If that's the way it is supposed to work, ITA.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:30 AM

No they don't. Any of the nominated singles players can play doubles as well. There can be up to 6 players from one country 4 in singles and any combination in doubles making up two teams.

vw.
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah. In that case, the teams would be Huber/Raymond and Mattek/Tu. :tape:

MH0861
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM
You can't just throw any combination of players together and hope for a good surprise, no matter how high they're ranked :tape: Liezel recently became American and has no experience with Lisa or Lindsay, who are likely to be her choices for doubles partner. The point of the Olympics is to medal, and just because Liezel is #1 in the world doesn't mean she'll play medal-winning doubles with anyone. There's a lot more that goes into doubles than that. If she was so concerned about playing for the US, she could have made more of an effort to play doubles this year with an American to prepare. Maybe then there wouldn't even be a debate about taking her.

drake3781
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
No they don't. Any of the nominated singles players can play doubles as well. There can be up to 6 players from one country 4 in singles and any combination in doubles making up two teams.

But for US, the singles players will only play singles, so that is not a consideration. Correct?

killercars
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:50 AM
Huber should be on the team. Huber is an American...period. Raymond sucks and is past her prime. If the singles spots are based only on rankings, why should this be different for doubles players?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM
But for US, the singles players will only play singles, so that is not a consideration. Correct?

Only if the top doubles players can play singles ( well Cara can :hearts:) :lol:. Nobody said it had to make sense :tape:.

drake3781
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Only if the top doubles players can play singles ( well Cara can :hearts:) :lol:. Nobody said it had to make sense :tape:.

OK, I'm officially confused. :o :p

stefi62
Jun 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Liezel will be in the team, that is for sure. She qualifies automatically as she is within doubles top ten, there's nothing the USTA can do about that. The decision they're making is around who's going to play with her.