PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About The Balance Of The Wimbledon Draw

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
There are 4 major champions in the top half; 3 in the bottom.
There are 3 former/current #1s in the top half; 3 in the bottom.
There's 1 player who's reached at least 1 major final (yet to win any) in the top half; 2 in the bottom.
There are 3 players who have reached a major semifinal (but not advanced to a final) in the top half; 3 in the bottom.

This looks like one of the most balanced draws I've seen in a LONG time :eek:

Ana's got a fairly easy road to the semis, but Cibulkova could be a spoiler, as could Szavay. Nicole could find her game at any time and prove to be dangerous too. And even though Anna is the "joke" of the top 8 seeds, she still could make some noise (not LIKELY, but anything's possible :shrug: )
Serena has the toughest quarter with Marion, Amelie, The Radwanskas, Cornet, Bondarenko, Sveta and Craybas :scared: in her quarter, but if anyone thrives on competition, it's the 2 time Wimbledon Champ.
Maria has to get through (potentially) Petrova/Azarenka, and Safina/Elena/Lindsay to get to the semis, which doesn't seem like too tall a task, but as in Ana's quarter...anything's possible.
Venus also has a tough road to the last 4 with Pennetta, Mirza, Zvonareva, Hantuchova, Srebotnik, Wozniacki, and Jankovic in her section. But with the weave back ( :bounce: ), and being on grass (the surface she OWNS), we should see the REAL Venus out there.
But it seems like this is one of the most balanced draws we've seen in a while. Agree?

hankqq
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
This is the one of the most balanced draws we've had in a while.

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Great analysis.

Top half is still weaker than the bottom. But fairly balanced, I'd say.

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Neither Top Heavy, Nor Bottom Heavy, But Not Balanced

Ana's draw is RIDICULOUSLY easy, Anna and Nicole in her quarter:o
Bottom half and Seren'a quarter are good though, but Ana's is by far the weakest ever:o

alwayshingis
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think it is a lot more balanced than it could be, but I think the top half is certainly weaker than the bottom half. I know she is your fave, but I think you are overestimating the difficulty of Serena's draw. Most of the tough names in her section are slumping/injured/can't play on grass. If she loses to Mauresmo at this event, she has bigger problems.

To me, the third quarter is the toughest (because my fave is there? :lol: )especially if Azarenka shows up healthy and Nadia carries her form over from this week.

Cp6uja
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I send already post how balanced is this draw, but that thread is deleted and moderators put that my post in midle of some other thread (i find him by search option). So i will just repeat what i say:

This is probably "MOST BALANCED" Grand Slam Draw for the Years. Finaly nobody of biggest TOP4 contenders (By Experts and Bookmakers - Maria, Serena, Venus and Ana) is not in the same Quarter of Draw (for example at RG last month 4 of 5 biggest contenders is in same half). Distribution of favorites by draw-halfs is perfect 2-2 or 3-3 (if we count Jelena and Sveta also).

I agree that Ana have easiest road to SF out of Big4 because somebody from TOP4 seeds simple must draw Chaky and this time lucky-winner is Ana. For Williams sisters we already know that they will draw some of TOP4 seeds, so Jelena and Sveta is best option for them. It's realy more "fair" that Chaky and Elena go to Maria and Ana and that sisters go to Sveta and Jelena because Jankovic and Kuznetsova still must to prove that they deserve SF spot (Maria and Ana already prove that in past at Wimbledon grass). Maria also must be very happy with her draw. She have MP against Safina at clay so at grass (Maria maybe best and Dinara worst surface) she will destroyed her easy - actualy i dont see Dinara like her QF opponent. I give better chances to Elena or Lindsay.

Player of BIG4 with hardest draw is Serena for sure, but if she is in solid shape i dont see in-slump Mauresmo, or Bartoli, or even Sveta, to win even set against her before eventual SF showdown against Ivanovic.

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I think it is a lot more balanced than it could be, but I think the top half is certainly weaker than the bottom half. I know she is your fave, but I think you are overestimating the difficulty of Serena's draw. Most of the tough names in her section are slumping/injured/can't play on grass. If she loses to Mauresmo at this event, she has bigger problems.

To me, the third quarter is the toughest (because my fave is there? :lol: )especially if Azarenka shows up healthy and Nadia carries her form over from this week.

Yeah, I thought that too. IMO, Maria (along with Jelena) certainly has the toughest path to the semis.

Poova
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I voted the last option. But I think it's fairly balanced.

I think you people are expecting way too much if you want it to be perfectly balanced. It's virtually impossible. :p One top eight seed is in bad form, so obviously that part of the draw is weak.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
fairly balanced...better than the past GS draws we have had

Cp6uja
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Before todays Draw most fair scenario is no matches before semifinal at Wimbledon grass between Sisters, Sharapova and Ivanovic, and between Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Roddick - and exactly that we have AFTER draw. Did you realize that before draw we have chances for Williams Sisters, Sharapova and Ivanovic in SAME HALF of Draw (all together)???

But after todays draw we hawe 1-1-1-1 "BIG4" scenario by Quarters, 2-2 by Halfs (or 3-3 if we count Jelena and Sveta). I agree that will be more fair if in Ana quarter we have some former Wimbledon champion (Mauresmo or Davenport) - but with all theirs 2008 problems and their ages also... will that realy change seriously anything? I dont think.