PDA

View Full Version : Most balanced slam draw in quite some time...agree?

mboyle
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I am very pleased with this year's Wimbledon draw. The four major contenders are all in separate quarters (Serena, Maria, Venus, Ana.) But what's more, the only one of those quarters that differs notably in terms of difficulty is Ana's, which is notably easier (much easier haha!) I think the big four were pretty unanimous in terms of favorites, so let's look at who else has been playing good tennis, or who could play well on grass:

Jankovic
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Safina
Davenport

Okay so Maria's quarter actually looks the most difficult, as three of those five players are in her quarter, but she will only have to face one of them (pray it's Davenport!) That means each of the big 4 will have to face one difficult test before the semis, except Ana, who faces like powder puff competition:lol: . I predict the mighty Sam Stosur will be Ana's QF opponent (unless Nicole suddenly finds form in a big hurry! haha)

Destiny
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
agree

RenaSlam.
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I am happy with this draw. It's going to be a great Wimbledon.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think it's bottom heavy. All the recent Wimbledon winners, plus Dinara who's won about 14 of her last 15, and Lindsay and Jelena.
The top quarter looks soft.

Uranus
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Still not balanced though.

Bottom half looks far stronger.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
It's not so balanced actually... more like 40%-60%.

Top Half: Ana, Serena, Kuzzy, Mauresmo
Bottom Half: Maria, Venus, Davenport, Dementieva, Jelena, Dinara.

But compared to the previous Slams... yeah, this is the most balanced one in quite some time....

Poova
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
You guys are never satisfied :rolls:

Dawson.
some posers are never going to be happy, as their players seem to have a rough draw ie dementieva

but yeah its actually a pretty balanced draw looking at it objectively

¤CharlDa¤
I do agree its bottom heavy a bit, but it will be interesting.

tae04
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i love the draw.

Serenita
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Good draw!!

darkchild
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Safina seems improved a lot, but Lindsay will kick her ass in 4R.

Sir Stefwhit
This is about as balanced as we're ever likely to get. And looking at the obstacles in each of the top players draws it's even more evident that it's a nice spread. If the rankings hold up here's each top players path to the win:

1. Ivanovic: Rios-Dechy-Cibulkova-Szvavay-Chakvetadze-Serena-Sharapova

2. Jankovic: Savchuk-Navarro-Wozniacki-Zvonereva-Venus-Sharapova-Ivanovic/Serena

3. Sharapova: Foretz-Kudryavtseva-Bammer-Azarenka-Dementieva/Davenport-Jankovic/Venus-Ivanovic/Serena

4. Kuzy: Johansson-Bondarenko-Bondarenko-Radwanska-Serena-Ivanovic-Sharapova

5. Dementieva: Camerin-Ditty-Davenport-Safina-Sharapova-Jankovic/Venus-Ivanovic/Serena

6. Serena Williams: Kanepi-Radwanska-Mauresmo-Bartoli-Kuznetsova-Ivanovic-Sharapova

7. Venus Williams: Cavaday-V.King-Mirza-Hantuchova-Jankovic-Sharapova-Ivanovic/Serena

25. Davenport: Voracova-Dulko-Dementieva-Safina-Sharapova-Jankovic/Venus-Ivanovic/Serena

The Daviator
There was always going to be 1 quarter that looked soft, cos 1 of the top 8 seeds is in serious poor form, and she happened to land in the 1st quarter.

mboyle
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I think it's bottom heavy. All the recent Wimbledon winners, plus Dinara who's won about 14 of her last 15, and Lindsay and Jelena.
The top quarter looks soft.

There are more contenders in the bottom, but Ana is pretty much a lock for the semis. She's playing the best of the big 4 right now, and Serena is obviously the most talented of the big 4. I think that adds some balance.

mboyle
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
There was always going to be 1 quarter that looked soft, cos 1 of the top 8 seeds in is serious poor form, and she happened to land in the 1st quarter.

To be fair it would have been more balanced if Dinara had drawn Chaky instead of Dementieva, or if Davenport had been in that section.

The Daviator
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
To be fair it would have been more balanced if Dinara had drawn Chaky instead of Dementieva, or if Davenport had been in that section.

That would have seriously weakened Maria's section ;)

faboozadoo15
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I like this draw a lot. Except that Ana has the easiest draw of anyone. She should have been thrown Davenport :devil: She's clueless against her.

I like Maria's draw, and I'm really excited for Venus v Jankovic and hopefully Kuz vs. Serena.

Hopefully Szavay can put in a titanic effort and balance out that top quarter.

Uranus
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Please. Objectively it is not balanced.
Looking at the in-form/grass court players or contenders, bottom half is far superior.

Top half:

Ivanovic
Chakvetadze > would be even surprising if she made it to R4
Kuznetsova
Bartoli > former finalist has been the shadow of her own self since the beginning of the year
Mauresmo > same as Chakvetadze (Serena in R3, too), plus she is injured & unsure she'll play
S. Williams

Bottom half:

Dementieva
Davenport
Safina
Petrova > back to some form it seems
Sharapova
V. Williams
Zvonareva
Jankovic

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
The draws are tricky business. As of late one half has always been stacked with the likely contenders and past slam winners and the other half usually has Kuznetsova and one other lucky top player, usually Mauresmo or Sharapova. Can someone tell me the last time the draw went according to ranking where we had at least 6 of the top 8 make the quarters??

This time around I think the top seeds will proceed according to rank, not including Davenport and Dementieva. The balance helps to spread out the match-ups which makes things a lot more fun. Most of the matches from the 3rd round on have potential to be really interesting and entertaining.

Anyone know which half will play first, doesn't the defending champion always start on Centercourt the first day?

AcesHigh
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's that bottom heavy. Ana is probably the hottest realistic contender and Serena with her serve will be incredibly hard to stop. Kuzy no matter how badly she's doing is also a serious contender and if she can play the way she did last year(in her match against Venus, she was playing pretty well), she'll be tough.

Davenport is an unknown.. she could do amazing or crash out and Dementieva IMO, is not a contender on this surface. A darkhorse maybe, but I really doubt she'll do much. Jelena I don't see as a realistic contender for the title either. They're great players, but I just see them as obstacles that Sharapova and Venus will have to give effort to get over.

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Please. Objectively it is not balanced.
Looking at the in-form/grass court players or contenders, bottom half is far superior.
I added some notes to help tell a more accurate story:

Top half:

Ivanovic- the hottest player on tour
Chakvetadze- would be even surprising if she made it to R4
Kuznetsova- hasn't played well agains the top players in the slams for over two years, but always a serious threat
Mauresmo- same as Chakvetadze, plus she is injured & unsure she'll play; although the surface always brings the best out in her game and she's one of the best players at the net
S. Williams- hasn't played her best in the slams in a long time, but always a threat

Bottom half:

Dementieva- she's been a non-factor in slam for years
Davenport- hasn't played much, not to mention her questionable health
Safina- hasn't proven herself on grass
Petrova- finally one good tournament this season, her first good result in a season that has to go down as one of her worst starts in her career
Sharapova- Dangerous on grass and a real threat
V. Williams- She's so hit or miss that even the year she won it she was within points of losing in the first two rounds. It wouldn't be surprising if she won it again or lost in the first round
Zvonareva- A great player, but has never been a threat at the majors
Jankovic- A legitimate threat, but may not be physically 100%

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
It's probably the fairest draw I've seen in a while. That having said, the bottom half is definitely stronger, but not inordinately so.

Maria Croft
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Well, it's probably the best slam draw in quite some time, not perfect but hey, what is.

kwilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah, it's quite well balanced. You have Serena and Ivanovic on one side and Venus and Sharapova on the other. Kuznetsova and Mauresmo in the top half and Jankovic and Davenport in the bottom.

I'm just glad that the sisters are on opposite sides of the draw.

TooBlack
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Very Balanced ... can't ask for more than this people.

LindsayRulz
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:23 PM
IMO the top two favorites for the title are Maria and Venus and they are in the same section. And with Ana-Zvetlana-Anna in the same half I wouldn't call this draw that well balanced, even if Mauresmo is in this half as she is injured and she may not play.

mboyle
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
IMO the top two favorites for the title are Maria and Venus and they are in the same section. And with Ana-Zvetlana-Anna in the same half I wouldn't call this draw that well balanced, even if Mauresmo is in this half as she is injured and she may not play.

You can't say Venus is a bigger favorite than Serena. If Venus gets to week 2, then she's the favorite, but she's lost early almost as often as she's won this thing. Serena has 2 titles of her own plus a final. All 3 of the would be favorites had really bad Roland Garros'. Sharapova's was the least embarrassing, but she couldn't close out a 5-2 lead...again. Serena just plain sucked. Venus sucked, but that's usual these days off grass (hate to say it but it is true.) Ana is the only one who has been playing well lately. She also has the easiest draw. The 4 of them are equal favorites.

Also, I didn't say it was perfectly balanced. I said it was the most balanced draw in a while.

RG was kind of a disaster, but Ivanovic, Serena, Venus and Jankovic were all at the bottom, with Maria and Kuzy on top, but Maria was not realistically going to win.

In Oz, we knew Justine or Maria would win the whole thing, and they were in the same quarter (with Davenport thrown in on top of that.) If anyone was going to spoil that, it would have been Serena, who was also top half. The bottom half was really weak.

At the Open, Serena and Justine were the favorites, and they were again both in the same quarter. Venus was in the top half as the spoiler. Kuznetsova and Chaky played the semifinal, for God's sakes.

Last year's Wimbledon was again Justine vs. Serena. No one saw Venus coming.

Roland Garros 07 was a foregone conclusion.

LDF
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
The top quarter is an absolute joke.

But overall I'm fairly satisfied with this draw, it's not TOO bottom heavy :)

Emina.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
its ok..i like it :yeah:

Il Primo!
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Bottom is the real deal. But the Wimbledon is gonna so exciting!

~Eclipsed~
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I love it. I didn't expect it to be this balanced.:D

I was expecting Lindsay to be seeded to meet Maria or Venus, so i'm satisfied. :yeah:

miffedmax
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This draw sucks, but I make no pretense of objectivity.

homogenius
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Not THAT balanced but interesting anyway.

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
This is about as balanced as a draw could possibly be from a random selection. People who think otherwise are looking for something unrealistic.

Just think about how far back you have to go to find a draw more balanced than this one??! What was the last draw that more balance than this one in a slam???

VeeJJ
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
i think it looks bottom heavey. Bottom half looks way stronger. has plenty of room for upsets though.

VeeJJ
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
There are more contenders in the bottom, but Ana is pretty much a lock for the semis. She's playing the best of the big 4 right now, and Serena is obviously the most talented of the big 4. I think that adds some balance.

yeah i just looked at the draw again and i think it is pretty much balanced also, maybe the bottom has a little bit more of an edge but thats it. this should be a good Wimbledon, now all we need it perfect sunny weather and everything would be amazing:drool: and of course for Jelena to take teh title which i think she has a good chance as anyone else to do.

hacberto
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I love this draw. I think is well balanced but most important we can have an all Williams Final!!!!

Bruno71
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
It's somewhat balanced, but leans towards the bottom a bit. But what jumps out at me is Ana's almost free pass to the semis, and JJ's landmine draw. I'd say Maria has a landmine draw too, but the only one based on match-up who can realistically beat her before the semis is Safina, and that's highly unlikely on grass.