PDA

View Full Version : Now that you've seen the draw, who will win Wimbledon?

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Vote.

JackFrost
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Final Ana vs. Maria or Venus
Winner: Maria or Venus. (I hope so).

-NAJ-
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Ana.

frenchie
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Serena

Emina.
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Maria ;)

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
After seeing the draw. Maria should be the favorite, and Ana 2nd favorite.
Serena has to beat Bartoli, Sveta. Venus has to beat Dani & Jelena, to make the SF.

smokovec
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
My prediction is a final S. Williams - Sharapova.

frenchie
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
My prediction is an all Williams final

*Jool*
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
that's mine too

ilovethewilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM
If ana meets Serena in the semi I think Serena would blow her off the court. This isn't clay where she will have time to react and her movement isn't as good like jankovic so expect a Serena romp.

Marco Fernandes
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Maria will win on her favourite surface.

This year's wimbledon grass is as faster as this year's AO... Which Maria won.

SO i predict Maria will once again shine in London

Mikey.
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Maria or Ana :)

ilovethewilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Venus may play like crap during the year but big matches at Wimbledon is where she shines. I think Venus will blow jankovic off the court if her serve is on and against sharapova "three yrs ago Venus sent her crying off the court and last year she ran off after getting trounced". Venus toughest matches will come in the 2nd or 3rd round when the remove her off centre court but if she makes it to the QF I would expect her to be in the final.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Personally now that I've seen the draw I'm none the wiser. :shrug:

Renalicious
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I still think and believe Serena Williams will win. My second choice would be Marion Bartoli. :drool:

wtatourfan
Serena!

Marilyn Monheaux
Ana vs Maria would be my dream final. Or Ana vs. JJ - Don't know why but I feel like they should meet at all GSs this year.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM

me too ;)

A Magicman
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
The final will be

Bartoli - Sharapova

and I think that Pova is gonna take the title, but I will root for Maid Marion. :)

Wilson_07
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
hopefully venus can prove them doubters wrong again! i think she can do it!

maddogz48
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Serena has a damn good draw so I pick her to win.
I expect to see an all WIlliams final if Venus can get past Jankovic.

Andy.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Serena, Masha or Venus

Emiel Goelen
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM

I predict the same.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The final will NOT be the first time the 2 players have met in a GS Final.

In order of likelihood:

Williams-Williams
Williams-Sharapova

although Errorena could show up at any time, but I'm not expecting her to make a visit. Let's hope that bitch stays away!

Sharapowerr
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Maria or Serena

Il Primo!
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
A Serena-Maria final since I doubt Vee gets past JJ.
Hopefully Maria wins this.

Shuji Shuriken
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Venus Ebone Starr Williams :hearts:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I am giving my opinion based on my faves (Ana and Maria) only:-

Ana's only possible obstacle to the final are against Sveta, Mauresmo and Serena. We all know how inconsistant Sveta is, Mauresmo carries an injury with her, and Serena can go "missing" at times during the Slam tournaments this year (remember the AO Quarterfinals?) If Ana can carry her FO form to Wimbledon, then she would be in the Final, bar some unfortunate moment.

Maria route though is a bit tricky. She has Venus, Davenport and Dementieva in the way - the former 2 are winners on SW19, and Dementieva can strike when it's least expected. And there's Dinara... while she hates grass, she has one-up against Maria on clay recently, and would be quite pumped up to do the same again in Wimbledon. However, if Maria can maintain her composure, and have Lady Luck on her side, she would be winning the coverted title again in 2 weeks time.

So, I think (and hope) it would be an Ana-Maria final... and whoever plays better on that day will win the tournament :)

Nikkiri
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
MaRiA sHaRaPoVa!!11111 of course :worship: :)

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
MaRiA sHaRaPoVa!!11111 of course :worship: :)

:eek: Seriously?

Please say yes :lol:

kadirelf
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
All williams final

Venus def Serena 3-6 6-4 7-5

Nikkiri
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
:eek: Seriously?

Please say yes :lol:

Yes, go Masha!!1111 :banana: :lol:

Destiny
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Maria or Serena

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Yes, go Masha!!1111 :banana: :lol:

You sarcastic piece of... :fiery:

Go Masha! :hearts:

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Marion :D

RenaSlam.
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Serena has to beat Bartoli, Sveta. Venus has to beat Dani & Jelena, to make the SF.

Hmm...Bartoli is having a nice run at Easbourne right now, but would not beat Serena on grass :lol:, nor would Sveta.

Daniela hasn't played in quite some time and Venus has only lost a set to her :lol:

Not sure what you're :smoke:ing lately.

vw.
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Venus vs. Jankovic will not be on Court 2.

Ana-Serena, Maria-Venus Semis. Winner to be decided.

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I agree with TY. I can easily see a Ana-Serena and Maria-Venus semi. I'm a bit scared of Jankovic in vee's quarter (AGAIN, third time in four slams), but I think that if vee gets to the quarters, her game should be in form for a Jankovic beating on center court.

I think Serena is a fair bet to the finals, I'm more scared of Marion in the fourth round than Ana in the semis. I think the other side is between Vee and Maria.

So a Williams vs Williams/Sharapova final. Should be incredible.

lympyisthebest
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Masha :hearts:

Shepster
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Exactly what I thought before, Maria or Venus. Venus has such a joke draw - british girl, british girl or non-threat American, a forehandless Sania coming off 2 months out and ... then the player you always beat Dani coming off 2 months out. Only problem she has is if Pennetta sneaks through but on grass I'd expect Venus to take her. Then at the QF you miss Ana and Maria and get JJ, lovely, then it's the final in the semi versus Maria (who has people who suck on grass and those in slumps in her quarter).

bad_angel_109
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking Venus can defend the title. But other contenders include Sharapova, Ana, Kuzzy, Serena and my dark horse with be Lindsay. :)

SELVEN
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Ana

kwilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The draw was ineffectual. My favourite was and is Venus. I'm hoping for an all Williams final.

Expat
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
venus has a good draw
till the quarters

on the whole this is the most balanced draw in a long long time
ana and maria are locks for the semis
serena should get through to the semis even though she has trickier opponents than the rest

its venus that will face jelena in a QF thats making me worried
jelena has the worst possible draw

sammy01
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
well i voted for chaky just because if she did win i would so bump this thread and you would all bow down to me!

and on planet earth im going with serena vs jj final but i dont know why?

cn ireland
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Maria Sharapova will win the title beating Ivanovic in the final!

Infiniti2001
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I truly believe Venus will defend her title, and that's all I will say until then :p

mal
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:03 PM
As I said before.

Sharapova is ancient history now. Her choice. Final.

TooBlack
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I have no idea. I would pick Serena but I just never know these days. lol

Shepster
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
venus has a good draw
till the quarters
She missed the world #1 and the only other former Wimbledon champion of the 4 and got the one player in the top 4 who hasn't even gotten to a grand slam final. How was the quarters not good for her too?

DownTheLine21
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Semifinals
S. Williams def. Ivanovic
V. Williams def. Sharapova

Final
V. Williams def. S. Williams

Expat
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
She missed the world #1 and the only other former Wimbledon champion of the 4 and got the one player in the top 4 who hasn't even gotten to a grand slam final. How was the quarters not good for her too?
matchups
the other players have a style that matches up well with her
ana has improved from the past year so i cant say how this year will play out but its the kind of game that players like venus and lindsay can effectively handle
but against maria and kuzzy she can win easily based on her game

Shepster
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
matchups
the other players have a style that matches up well with her
ana has improved from the past year so i cant say how this year will play out but its the kind of game that players like venus and lindsay can effectively handle
but against maria and kuzzy she can win easily based on her game
Matchups indeed, this is a grass court tournament and grass helps JJ's game the least out of all the surfaces. While yes she will make the least mistakes out of the top 4 she won't have the attacking options all the other three have on the surface. Last year Venus was easily handling Ana on grass and hard in big tournaments, this year the breakthrough came in Australia and she's made the jump up to show she can beat Venus on the big occasion. If Venus can beat Maria and Sveta and Ana last year playing that well ... she wouldn't have had *any* problems with Jelena either when she's serving 70% first serves in at an average of 110mph, nobody on the tour can handle that. If she doesn't play that well, Maria and Sveta and Ana can do more than keep in the point and wait for Venus to make the mistake (which is how JJ has done well against Venus in the past).

shirley
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Maria

hankqq
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM

oh please let it be so!!!:D

Expat
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Matchups indeed, this is a grass court tournament and grass helps JJ's game the least out of all the surfaces. While yes she will make the least mistakes out of the top 4 she won't have the attacking options all the other three have on the surface. Last year Venus was easily handling Ana on grass and hard in big tournaments, this year the breakthrough came in Australia and she's made the jump up to show she can beat Venus on the big occasion. If Venus can beat Maria and Sveta and Ana last year playing that well ... she wouldn't have had *any* problems with Jelena either when she's serving 70% first serves in at an average of 110mph, nobody on the tour can handle that. If she doesn't play that well, Maria and Sveta and Ana can do more than keep in the point and wait for Venus to make the mistake (which is how JJ has done well against Venus in the past).
if its venus form that will determine then she can even lose to an injured daniela in the 4r

Shepster
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
if its venus form that will determine then she can even lose to an injured daniela in the 4r
I agree 100%, she was after all in hopelessly poor form in the first week last year and was very fortunate to scrape through. When it got to the big matches she lifted her play to a literally unplayable level and would have beaten anyone that second week. Btw, if Dani got to 4R I would be over the moon, there's 4 tough potential 3R opponents (Pennetta, Wickmayer, Sugiyama or Vakulenko can all cause havoc, especially against someone without any tennis) and it's not even a given she gets to that after dropping a set to Katie O'Brien in an exhibition the other day. Only way Dani beats Venus though is if it's Venus who's injured, and even then after last year we know that's not even a given :lol: I can't believe I can laugh about that now :D

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Serena Williams def. Venus Williams 7-6(6), 2-6, 6-4

beatlessub
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Maria kirilenko
of course!!

jk

but i think there wont be
any unexpected player in the quarters

but sharapova,ana,jj,venus,serena,davenport,heck even kuzzy

i'll be pleased if they won

zvonarevarulz
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
All Williams final:drool:

sharapovarulz1
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Have to go with Maria obviously but would love somebody like Radwanska, Azarenka, Szavay or Safina to win it :D Or maybe even Wozniacki :)

OsloErik
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Serena beats Jankovic in the final.

Destiny
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Have to go with Maria obviously but would love somebody like Radwanska, Azarenka, Szavay or Safina to win it :D Or maybe even Wozniacki :)

Woz win

I would not mind a bit :hearts::hearts:

CORIA01
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
ana vs maria and Ana winning it!

Danči Dementia
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Come on Elena or Ana or Danka

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
there are so many (delusional) fans of Maria:o

Venus is who i want to win, but Serena has the best draw to win:)

wtatourfan
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Serena!!!

spiritedenergy
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM
probably Serena. Sharapova also has a good shot. I don't think Venus will get past JJ.

Lucas_Arg
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM

There are many idiots here but you are at the top of the list.

StZox
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM
Jelena will surprise us all.

Venus never blows Jelena off the court, not on any surface.

I can tell that Jelena-Venus QF will be the best match this year

Uranium
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
There are many idiots here but you are at the top of the list.

:yawn:
did i say anything about idiots?:rolleyes:
i am not the idiot, the people thinking Maria is gonna win are the idiots:rolls:, and you're the main one:o

Il Primo!
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM

Venus is who i want to win, but Serena has the best draw to win:)

How is delusional to like the chances of the bookmakers favorite?:lol:

Lulu.
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Serena. :)

Its time for somebody else to win Wimbledon.

danieln1
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
I want Ana and Lindsay to win, but I think either Ana or Serena will win Wimbledon this year

In The Zone
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Serena has an amazing draw.

Serena vs. Sharapova/Venus, basically.

All-Williams Final in my eyes. :inlove:

bad_angel_109
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
In my opinion Masha & at least one William sister in the semis, if not both Venus & Serena. But go Danka and Lindsay!

Dexter
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM
Serena is the favourite.

mckyle.
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
There's too many names to choose from.

SoClose
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Ree or Vee

Michaelz
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
i think serena will beat sharapova in final

Milli
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I don't think Serena will even make it to the final,you guy favor her to win every grand slam :confused: Yer she might,but I'd go for the winner of the Venus/Maria potential semi winning this before.

Buitenzorg
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
I predict Sharapova v Serena in the finals

My crazy hope is Tanasugarn reach the finals ;)

tennisbear7
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Serena to beat Sharapova 76 60.

Davenselesport
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Dementieva has a tough draw- must get through Davenport and Safina to even get the QFs!

bad_angel_109
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Serena to beat Sharapova 76 60.
Don't want to sound too cruel or nything but u gotta admit, that would be quite funny actually. Like a repeat of the '06 Aus Open final. How Serena was unseeded & Sharapova was like the 3rd seed or watever &...Serena dominated Maria. :lol: I remember watching that match on tv like it was yesterday. Loved it. Go Serena! :)

Venus V.s Serena in the final would be such a great match.

Geisha
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM

Since when has Venus ever had trouble with Hantuchova. She dismantles her almost every time they play, and this is on grasscourt where Venus is defending champion; not to mention Hantuchova's form and injury in recent months. Since when has Bartoli ever been a threat to Serena? Beefcakes has nothing on the American girl.

Geisha
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Don't want to sound too cruel or nything but u gotta admit, that would be quite funny actually. Like a repeat of the '06 Aus Open final. How Serena was unseeded & Sharapova was like the 3rd seed or watever &...Serena dominated Maria. :lol: I remember watching that match on tv like it was yesterday. Loved it. Go Serena! :)

Venus V.s Serena in the final would be such a great match.

2007 Australian Open final.

sre84
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
I would like to see,for the first time in tennis history,all Serbian finale.

n1ko0
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Having looked at the draw these are my predictions.

Ana, maria, serena, venus all make the semis.

Seeded casualties before the 3rd round are Schiavone, Schnyder, Vaidisova, Peer, Bammer, and possibly pennetta (sugiyama is tough at wimbly)

zvonareva makes QF

winner of maria/venus will win the title.

:)

JAMESYBABY!
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Anne Keothavong:devil:

joćo.
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
Maria Sharapova, hopefully.