PDA

View Full Version : Would you be loyal to your favourite player even if....

kittyking
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Would you be loyal to your favourite player even if you found out something major about them as in either something from their past (such as they shoplifted when they were younger, or helped beat up someone) or something that affects their everydaily life (such as they had an abortion when they were 13, or were Lesbian and you should have known that years ago but now your worried that if you tell anyone then she will get a group of haters on here). I mean on one side they are the same player or and off court, but on another hand it may be a bit um uncomfortable to support them because it's as if you support the things they do (I'd never support a Neo-Nazi for example).

I'd love your comments about this :awww:

Sean.
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Urm...I suppose it would be very case dependant. Most of the time I would be loyal, apart from if it was proved they were a serial murderer or something. And even then I would support them until there was absolutely no doubt it was true.

Why do you know something about a player?

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Would you be loyal to your favourite player even if you found out something major about them as in either something from their past (such as they shoplifted when they were younger, or helped beat up someone) or something that affects their everydaily life (such as they had an abortion when they were 13, or were Lesbian and you should have known that years ago but now your worried that if you tell anyone then she will get a group of haters on here). I mean on one side they are the same player or and off court, but on another hand it may be a bit um uncomfortable to support them because it's as if you support the things they do (I'd never support a Neo-Nazi for example).

I'd love your comments about this :awww:

It very much depends what major thing in their past I found out. If it was an abortion I would be fine with that. I like lesbians, and would have no problem at all if I found out a player I liked a lot was a lesbian. Shoplifting? Well it's a bit naughty and not something I have done but hey nobodies perfect, it's not that big a deal. On the other hand serious violence towards another person is definately not cool and under most circumstances this would definately seriously affect how I felt about a player.

And yes if I found out a favourite player of mine supported a Neo-Nazi party they would definately be finished as a favourite. To be honest I was disappointed that Fabrice Santoro supported Sarkozy in the French elections but supporting a mainstream right wing candidate while not something that delights me I can just about accept it.

Brett.
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
It very much depends what major thing in their past I found out. If it was an abortion I would be fine with that. I like lesbians, and would have no problem at all if I found out a player I liked a lot was a lesbian. Shoplifting? Well it's a bit naughty and not something I have done but hey nobodies perfect, it's not that big a deal. On the other hand serious violence towards another person is definately not cool and under most circumstances this would definately seriously affect how I felt about a player.

And yes if I found out a favourite player of mine supported a Neo-Nazi party they would definately be finished as a favourite. To be honest I was disappointed that Fabrice Santoro supported Sarkozy in the French elections but supporting a mainstream right wing candidate while not something that delights me I can just about accept it.

So true!

Yasmine
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
In most cases I surely wouldn't judge what they did in the past, unless it's quite extreme (like murder or things like paedophilia, even then I'ld try to understand).;)

alex14
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
clear example is Hingis on cocaine! i loved her, love her, and will continue to support her continuosly whether she was guilty or not guilty!
Xx

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM
clear example is Hingis on cocaine! i loved her, love her, and will continue to support her continuosly whether she was guilty or not guilty!
Xx

Yeah, if I found out a favourite player of mine took recreational drugs that would definately not be a big deal for me.

kittyking
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks for that :hug:

(and also for your PM)

kittyking
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
In most cases I surely wouldn't judge what they did in the past, unless it's quite extreme (like murder or things like paedophilia, even then I'ld try to understand).;)

What I found out could be extreme, depending on how your lifestyle is. To some people its an incredibly big issue, to others its an absolute nothing issue.

I just don't know if I want to go down supporting someone on that path again when I prefer to think of the issue and absolutely nothing when really it can bite you up on the inside.

Harvs
id pretty much support them for anything lol... things theyve done when younger i coodnt really care about:)

Willam
OMG Kittyqueen your threads are just :)

Bum -> Msn

kittyking
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Yeah, if I found out a favourite player of mine took recreational drugs that would definately not be a big deal for me.

I'm still a fan of Martina Hingis, but only because I don't believe she took drugs. If she did I'm not sure what my position would be on her, I could never hate her - but I am very anti drugs (thanks to Ben, RIP mate)

kittyking
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
OMG Kittyqueen your threads are just :)

Bum -> Msn

I'd rather not sorry, just about to have a looooooooooong bath.

^bibi^
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Xx

:worship:

Max565
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I unconditionally support my favourite player. I would see their faults - it's not like I would try to ignore that they shoplifted and beat up the shop owner when they were sixteen, but I would just try to forgive them...

Hingis taking cocaine for example, I really couldn't care if she took cocaine or not... Not that I condone drug use but I personally think there's worse things a person can do (Neo-Nazi or murderer?). But if it was an actual performance enhancing drug she took, I'd have to think about that.

switz
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM
is this your roundabout way of saying you found out Erakovic is a lesbian? I think a lot of people suspected as much. not that there's anything wrong with it. of course she may not be at all and that is fine as well obviously.

mal
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
is this your roundabout way of saying you found out Erakovic is a lesbian? I think a lot of people suspected as much. not that there's anything wrong with it. of course she may not be at all and that is fine as well obviously.

what is even more disturbing is the fact that Herman goering is probably a "lesbian " as well.

it all depends on your definition.

Princeza
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Martina for ever :rocker2:

switz
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
what is even more disturbing is the fact that Herman goering is probably a "lesbian " as well.

it all depends on your definition.

They mentioned that in the readings I've done on Göring :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'm still a fan of Martina Hingis, but only because I don't believe she took drugs. If she did I'm not sure what my position would be on her, I could never hate her - but I am very anti drugs (thanks to Ben, RIP mate)

Personally I don't see drugs from a moral point of view at all. I don't take drugs myself, I don't even drink very much, but that's just because I don't like my mood altered in a way that is somewhat out of my control. But I accept people are different. Yes, drugs can be very self-destructive. But as far as I'm concerned a human has the right to be self-destructive if that is the path they chose. I may feel sorry for them but I wouldn't judge them. As far as drugs and alcohol go I have a very "there but for the grace of God go I" attitude. As I said earlier I don't like the feeling of my mood being altered by chemicals. But if I did, I can definately see myself having become an alcoholic or addict, as I am a very addictive personality. So I'm not going to make judgements on others.

Additionally there are a lot of people who use recreational drugs and I include alcohol in that, in a way that is not seriously destructive to themselves. Some people can manage this. Others can't. In my view Hingis might very well have sniffed a little cocaine and a party. It is certainly possible. I have no doubt she is not an addict. I also have no doubt she did not use the drug with any intention of it being performance enhancing. If she sniffed a bit a party big deal. Banning her for two years for discovering a trance of cocaine in her was just a disgrace in my honest opinion.

Staying with the subject of drugs I am very passionate about rock music and I know a lot of the songwriters/musicians I admire have used a variety of drugs to various affects. In some cases it has killed them and their loss has been a sad loss to the music world. It has caused severe mental deteriation to others like Syd Barrett (RIP) and Skip Spence (also RIP). Kurt Cobain is another who's use of drugs almost certainly caused his death. But other rock stars have managed just fine using drugs and others have worked hard to overcome an addiction to drugs. People who are able to overcome things like alcohol and drug addiction are generally people I hold very high respect. It is not an easy thing to overcome. I would never ecourage a person to take drugs. Generally I don't think its a clever thing to do but I would never morally judge a person because they chose to take drugs.

All that said, drug dealing is morally reprehensible because it involves encouraging young impressionable people to do something that is a danger to themselves solely for the drug dealers personal gain. Likewise I see nothing morally wrong with a woman who choses to work as a prostitute. I might not consider it a smart decision and I suspect a lot of women who choose to live like that do it because they have had a very tough life but I wouldn't condemn such women. On the other hand people who profit from women selling their bodies for sex, especially but not only when the women concerned are coerced or forced to do so, are the lowest form of human life on earth.

Personally I never want to be the sort of person who judges others on how they live their lives. I believe in treating other people with kindness and respect, and basically I tolerate everything except intolerance.

Huntress55
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Its a tough question.

It really would depend on the situation. Im pretty loyal so it'd have to be something major to sway me.

Destiny
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I really wouldn't care about what situation i would still support them

Maybe if they are a murderer(but then i would still support them till proving guilty) :)

tequila
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Sharpie seems like a lesbian. When she decides to come out, all her teen fans will be disappointed. ;)