PDA

View Full Version : Maria's game isnt suited for grass can she win again?

Aaron.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Well Maria is a great player dont get me wrong but I think her best surface is hardcourt.

Grass well she cant volley well and she isnt a great mover.

Do you think Maria can win Wimby again? :confused:

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Yeah, cause being an exceptional volleyer wins you Slams. And her movement has greatly improved and isn't that much of a liability on grass. I think that she has a great chance to win this year.

Aaron.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah, cause being an exceptional volleyer wins you Slams. And her movement has greatly improved and isn't that much of a liability on grass. I think that she has a great chance to win this year. um Hello its grass volleying is inportant Venus is very successful at the net at Wimbledon one of the reasons she had 4 titles there

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:58 AM
She's not winning this year
She's the 2 year gap version of Lindsay:)

LudwigDvorak
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Look who she lost to in 2005, 2006, 2007. :shrug:

Maria is the second or third best player on grass playing now. She has a great chance to win Wimbledon every year. It's a testament to how good Venus and Amelie are to have beaten her there.

Slutati
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:00 AM
No.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Why not? She won Wimby 2004, and she will win it again....

... although, it might not be this year....

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
um Hello its grass volleying is inportant Venus is very successful at the net at Wimbledon one of the reasons she had 4 titles there

Yes, it is important. But Venus has not won Wimbledon because she's hit I-dunno-how-many volleys. Her strong baseline game and amazing athleticism have mainly helped her win. Anyhow, if Maria's serve is clicking, her baseline game, her serve and her toughness should make her get far.

Il Primo!
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
But swinging volleys are volleys :lol:!

In her loss against Amélie, she actually came more to the net and her ratio was even better.

I like her chances more than anyone left in the draw but Venus "I finally got the weave" Williams.

Andy.
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:03 AM
What is with this she cant volley nonsence. She may not be the best volleyer in the world but she more that competent in that department. Watch some matches fom this year and last year, its not 2004 anymore.

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:04 AM
What is with this she cant volley rubbish. She may not be the best volleyer in the world but she more that competent in that department. Watch some matches fom this year and last year, its not 2004 anymore.

if you saw her match vs. Rodina, her volleys were :haha::help:

Danči Dementia
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Why not? She won Wimby 2004, and she will win it again....

... although, it might not be this year....

I think the same......
For sure she will win wimbledon again but not now......

Craig.
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM

Everything was :haha: :help: in that match, never mind her volleys.

Dawson.
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:13 AM
if theres one thing shes got on her side, its time.
shes lost to the eventual champion for the past 3 years, thats saying something!
volleys are not as important at wimbledon anymore, so it doesnt matter if she isnt great at the net. Look at Henin, she had the best volleys in womens tennis, yet she never won wimbledon ...

Dan23
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Maria's game is well suited to grass. She possesses a big serve, big strokes and a willingness to move forward and cut of points. Having won Wimby before its bleedingly obvious that she enjoys playing there and feels comfortable moving around those courts. Its just a matter of whether her form will click like it did in 2004 and earlier this year at the AO. She has as good a chance as anyone to win Wimby again at some stage in the next few years.

starin
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:27 AM
she'll prolly win Wimbly again.

Lucas_Arg
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Grass is not her best surface but of course she can win it again.

Vincey!
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Okay, Maria doesn't have the best volley but she has improved that alot since a year and if she was able to win it in 2004 you can't say that she can't win it again lol...Her game has improving since that time, so her chance are still pretty good. To me she's one of the top 3 favorites to win that this year, maybe the #1 favorite depending of how the williams are playing.

Mchstnate
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Im sure she will win again...just WHEN is still a question

faboozadoo15
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I'd be stunned if 2004 was the only time she wins Wimbledon in her career. She's just too good and hits too big to not win there again.

Forget volleys. Sharapova likes the quick points on the grass court. It favors her tremendously.

OsloErik
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
She won it in 2004. I challenge you to demonstrate how she has gotten less-suited for grass since 2004. So long as she hits the ball hard, she's got a chance to win Wimbledon. With her serve and groundstrokes, she's a top 5 favorite on grass since 2004.

OsloErik
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM
um Hello its grass volleying is inportant Venus is very successful at the net at Wimbledon one of the reasons she had 4 titles there

Umm, hello, Sharapova already won it without good volleys. Imagine what she can do now that she has the swinging volley in her arsenal.

In The Zone
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM
If I am trying to redeem the OP, my guess would be that he meant that Sharapova needs tons more time to set up her strokes. Grass requires speed and reflexes which aren't Sharapova's natural gifts.

But because Sharapova hits the ball so big and can boom both her serve and groundstrokes, she often gives herself that extra time by opening up the court. Obviously, a hardcourt is her best court. But she is no slouch on grass.

She may not win this year, but Sharapova is going to win more than one Wimbledon.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM
When Sharapova 1st won Wimbledon she was 17 years and one month old. Logically anyone who can win Wimbledon at such a young age should win it again (and again).

On the other hand when Hingis 1st won Wimbledon she was even younger than Sharapova at 16 years old and 8 months. At the time most tennis experts expected her to add at least another half dozen Wimbledon titles to that 1st one. Hingis never won Wimbledon again.

So while Sharapova is likely to add at least one more Wimbledon title to the trophy cabinet there is precedence for her not doing so. Personally I suspect she will win it one or two more times over the remainder of her career but it is no fixed deal.

young_gunner913
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I definitely think she'll win again. I'm not too sure about this year, Venus and Serena are both looking to avenge their losses at RG and although Maria is too, if she faces a Williams sister on a mission, she'll get creamed. I'd be stunned if in the rest of her career, she never wins another Wimbledon title.

Destiny
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM
She can win it if she doesn't meet the Williams sister along the way :devil:

Mikey B
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
yeh now that she's a true clay courter i dont know if she'll make the transition to grass well at all!

sweetpeas
Jun 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Maria's game is well suited to grass. She possesses a big serve, big strokes and a willingness to move forward and cut of points. Having won Wimby before its bleedingly obvious that she enjoys playing there and feels comfortable moving around those courts. Its just a matter of whether her form will click like it did in 2004 and earlier this year at the AO. She has as good a chance as anyone to win Wimby again at some stage in the next few years.

So true.....

drgray
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
She won't win it again until 2012. She'll win the French in 2010. And either Wimbledon or a Gold Medal in 2012. That seems to be the trend.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I think if Maria wins her 2nd Wimbledon this year, she'll probably win it a few more times.
This is her best year so far. She's still improving

Aravanecaravan
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
When Sharapova 1st won Wimbledon she was 17 years and one month old. Logically anyone who can win Wimbledon at such a young age should win it again (and again).

On the other hand when Hingis 1st won Wimbledon she was even younger than Sharapova at 16 years old and 8 months. At the time most tennis experts expected her to add at least another half dozen Wimbledon titles to that 1st one. Hingis never won Wimbledon again.

So while Sharapova is likely to add at least one more Wimbledon title to the trophy cabinet there is precedence for her not doing so. Personally I suspect she will win it one or two more times over the remainder of her career but it is no fixed deal.

IMO, the reason Hingis never won Wimbledon again is because she was never a Big Babe in an era when almost everyone is a Big Babe. Hingis would have been legendary if she had begun her career 10 years earlier. As it was, she had a tremendous run of success, but she simply wasn't big enough or strong enough to compete with the new era of player once they came along.

OTOH, Sharapova is 6'2" or 6'3" depending on who you listen to, and I don't see her shrinking anytime soon. The only thing that will prevent her from reaching her full potential, I think, is if she ends up having chronic shoulder problems. Which is possible, of course.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm watching Nadia. She's back in her best form.
Maria plays the Nadia/Vika winner in R16.
That will be a good test for Maria.

AndreConrad
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
IMO, the reason Hingis never won Wimbledon again is because she was never a Big Babe in an era when almost everyone is a Big Babe. Hingis would have been legendary if she had begun her career 10 years earlier. As it was, she had a tremendous run of success, but she simply wasn't big enough or strong enough to compete with the new era of player once they came along.

OTOH, Sharapova is 6'2" or 6'3" depending on who you listen to, and I don't see her shrinking anytime soon. The only thing that will prevent her from reaching her full potential, I think, is if she ends up having chronic shoulder problems. Which is possible, of course.

This is the problem with abusing "power game"; it leads to injuries and premature exit from tennis career. Hingis did not go further in her career because of her premature exit due to use of drugs. I believe that players like Hingis have a great chance to become legendary players maybe not in their teens or very early twenties, but their career can be longer and much more successful.

To go back to the original question posed in this thread, Maria is one of the top contenders to the title and that is all I can say. My feeling is she is not in the best shapre lately therefore she may not get it, but I can be wrong. Maria is very dedicated and has the drive so who knows.

mboyle
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Looks are deceiving. Maria consistently ranks near the top on grass in terms of net approaches and success at net. Many of those attempts are swing volleys, but that definitely counts, if it gets the job done.

mboyle
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm watching Nadia. She's back in her best form.
Maria plays the Nadia/Vika winner in R16.
That will be a good test for Maria.

Nadia even at her best was like a toy for Maria. I would be shocked if Maria lost before the semis. Serena can beat her and Venus can beat her. THat's about it as far as I'm concerned, on grass.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Maria's draw is not easy. I would expect her to beat Nadia, but Nadia is a better volleyer and can give her some trouble.
Dinara is also a good volleyer and good doubles player.
She has the hot Russians in her section.

So Disrespectful
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I definitely think she's capable and hope she does. :yeah:

sharapovarulz1
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Obviously she will win it again :D

Cp6uja
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I don't take this thread seriously, but because we already have 3 pages i will give my comment about this subject:

According how Maria's game and attacking style suited for grass she simple waste her talent if she not reach atleast 3 Wimbledon titles in her career. When Venus will finished like real contender in near future (like Lindsay already do) WTA will have just two "BIG (185+) GIRL - (SUPER)POWER HITTER" Sharapova and Ivanovic. To have chance to beat that type of WTA aggressive "BIG GIRLS" at grass when theirs is in good shape - opponent must have SUPERPOWER like Serena or have perfect attacking game with best womans play at net like Mauresmo/2006... or for all others (phisicaly "average" girls) to win Wimbledon they must be genious tennis players atleast like Hingins or WimLess Henin at theirs best! So i see right now new "BIG GIRLS" after Venus and Lindsay (Maria and Ana), but not see new Serena, Hingis or Henin caliber at all. I dont say that Jelena, Sveta, Nicole, Aga... or whoever dont have any chances to reach Wimbledon title in future - but Maria (and Ana) chances will be always bigger and in comparation with Ana Sharapova present better ability for Grass so far... but in comparation with all other "beyond 1981" girls Ivanovic atleast have chances to make serious troubles to Maria at grass even at her best (unlike all others).

I always like to compare Sharapova position in WTA future with ATP legend Pete Sampras (in "best case scenario" for her of course) and that tells you better what i think about her abilities to win some Wimbledon in generaly (and Roland Garros also :devil:).

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Maria's draw is a minefield. Nadia played her very close in a Wimbledon QF, and she's back in that form. That's round 4.
QF is Lindsay or Dinara. Then she probably has to beat both Williams sisters.
This won't be easy. She should have won that mp v Dinara.
This draw came up much tougher

Uranium
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I think if Maria wins her 2nd Wimbledon this year, she'll probably win it a few more times.
This is her best year so far. She's still improving
you're biased:p
Looks are deceiving. Maria consistently ranks near the top on grass in terms of net approaches and success at net. Many of those attempts are swing volleys, but that definitely counts, if it gets the job done.

:tape:her volleys the past few years on grass/Wimbledon were terrible, so your argument is :o

OsloErik
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I don't take this thread seriously, but because we already have 3 pages i will give my comment about this subject:

According how Maria's game and attacking style suited for grass she simple waste her talent if she not reach atleast 3 Wimbledon titles in her career. When Venus will finished like real contender in near future (like Lindsay already do) WTA will have just two "BIG (185+) GIRL - (SUPER)POWER HITTER" Sharapova and Ivanovic. To have chance to beat that type of WTA aggressive "BIG GIRLS" at grass when theirs is in good shape - opponent must have SUPERPOWER like Serena or have perfect attacking game with best womans play at net like Mauresmo/2006... or for all others (phisicaly "average" girls) to win Wimbledon they must be genious tennis players atleast like Hingins or WimLess Henin at theirs best! So i see right now new "BIG GIRLS" after Venus and Lindsay (Maria and Ana), but not see new Serena, Hingis or Henin caliber at all. I dont say that Jelena, Sveta, Nicole, Aga... or whoever dont have any chances to reach Wimbledon title in future - but Maria (and Ana) chances will be always bigger and in comparation with Ana Sharapova present better ability for Grass so far... but in comparation with all other "beyond 1981" girls Ivanovic atleast have chances to make serious troubles to Maria at grass even at her best (unlike all others).

I always like to compare Sharapova position in WTA future with ATP legend Pete Sampras (in "best case scenario" for her of course) and that tells you better what i think about her abilities to win some Wimbledon in generaly (and Roland Garros also :devil:).

Get ready, because this is rare: :worship::worship::worship:

Good post.

Emina.
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Yes. :)

OsloErik
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Maria's draw is a minefield. Nadia played her very close in a Wimbledon QF, and she's back in that form. That's round 4.
QF is Lindsay or Dinara. Then she probably has to beat both Williams sisters.
This won't be easy. She should have won that mp v Dinara.
This draw came up much tougher

Minefield? I was always under the impression that a "minefield" draw was one where there are potentially difficult encounters from match 1 or 2. She has nobody of note until the 4th round. Makarova is the toughest potential player, based on grass form this year, of the 7 she could meet before then. Compared to the other top players:

Dementieva--Davenport
Venus--Mirza, maybe?
Jankovic--Wozniacki
Kuznetsova--Bondarenko or Bondarenko
Serena--Mauresmo
Chakvetadze--Razzano
Ivanovic--Dechy? Cibulkova? No clue.

She's got either the best, 2nd best, or 3rd best early draw of any player. After that, of course it gets harder, but it gets harder for pretty much everyon starting in the 4th round.

calndsgns
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I think she will win but this year just isnt her year

Maria Croft
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Isn't suited for grass?! wth? She lost to the eventual champion every time since she has won Wimbledon.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
She's only won it or lost to the champion here since Maria turned 17.
That's why there aren't any nonseeds who are threats. But once she gets to the first weekend, she's going to have to be at her best

Expat
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
u got to be kidding
maria never loses to scrubs on grass
it may be best suited to hard courts but it is very well suited to grass too
only a champion in top form can take out maria on grass
that leaves just ana venus or serena as the players who can defeat sharapova
she is not losing earlier than the semi here and given that this is an even year both serena and venus will underperform
that leaves only ivanovic who can stop her on grass

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Masha was really unlucky
she lost to the champions in the last three years , Venus :mad:

and yes Maria can wimbley again , God bless her

slamchamp
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Masha was really unlucky

and yes Maria can wimbley again , God bless her is your mommy letting you use the computer again? :awww:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM
is your mommy letting you use the computer again? :awww:

i finished my exams ...

Aaron.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM
i finished my exams ... :yeah:

Emina.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Masha was really unlucky

and yes Maria can wimbley again , God bless her

:worship:

i finished my exams ...

well done! :hug:

ytre
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
She can win it again. But this year she will need lots of luck to win it. Since her 2004 magic run to the title she's changed very much. She's grown in height and weight. She's not that quick anymore, she's got problems with controlling herself under pressure and most of all her serve and returns are not that consistent right now.

wtatourfan
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Maria definitely can win it again!

Though I think Serena will!

doni1212
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Bump

Sylvester
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
She lost to the eventual champion every time since she has won Wimbledon.

OMFG Kudryatseva will win Wimbledon! :eek:

Poova
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Bump
The question was "can she win Wimbledon again?" not "will she win Wimbledon in 2008?", dumbarse. :)

joćo.
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Bump

Y?

Stamp Paid
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
BumpStop being an asshole. Serena has been far from impressive thus far.