PDA

View Full Version : Serena will miss old rival Henin at Wimbledon

PatrickRyan
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Former world number one Serena Williams said she was sad that her old adversary Justine Henin will be missing from Wimbledon this year.

The American was knocked out by Henin at the quarter-final stage last year having beaten the Belgian on her way to winning the title in 2003.

Their 13 career meetings were often prickly affairs, especially a bad-tempered French Open semi-final won by Henin in 2003. Williams also turned out to be a sore loser when she was beaten by Henin in the U.S. Open quarter-finals last year.

But following Henin’s sudden retirement from the sport last month, Williams said she would miss their rivalry.

“It’s sad that she’s not going to be at Wimbledon this year,” Williams, who features in a new $15-million dollar marketing campaign unveiled by the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in London this week, told Reuters.

“She was great competition and the tournament will miss her. But then again it opens up the draw a bit for someone else to do a little better.”

Williams won consecutive titles in Bangalore, Miami and Charleston earlier this year but struggled during the European claycourt season, losing in the third round at Roland Garros to Slovenia’s Katarina Srebotnik.

Her early exit in Paris at least allowed her some time off and to prepare thoroughly for Wimbledon.

“It was nice to have a bit of time off and I’ve had a lot of time on the grass,” Williams, who had back trouble in Rome this year, said. “I’m feeling great and very positive.

“It’s been a while since I won here but I still think, along with my sister (Venus), I’m the one to beat on grass. Hopefully I can hang in with her.”

Williams is seeded sixth at Wimbledon, one place higher than Venus who will be defending her title.

The Williams sisters were among 30 players featured in the WTA Tour’s “Looking for a Hero” campaign which will be rolled out across 75 countries over the next 18 months.

Kworb
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Finally we hear it from Serena herself. She has lost the fire and motivation because her only competition (other than her sister) has retired.

LightWarrior
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
She misses her ?? Give me a break, she hated her and she developped a Henin inferiority complex at Slams last year. Unless "I miss her" means "good riddance" in the hypocritical wta voccabulary.

S_Fahad
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
She never said she'll miss her. She said the tournament will miss her! :lol:

The Kaz
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Former world number one Serena Williams said she was sad that her old adversary Justine Henin will be missing from Wimbledon this year.

The American was knocked out by Henin at the quarter-final stage last year having beaten the Belgian on her way to winning the title in 2003.

Their 13 career meetings were often prickly affairs, especially a bad-tempered French Open semi-final won by Henin in 2003. Williams also turned out to be a sore loser when she was beaten by Henin in the U.S. Open quarter-finals last year.

But following Henin’s sudden retirement from the sport last month, Williams said she would miss their rivalry.

“It’s sad that she’s not going to be at Wimbledon this year,” Williams, who features in a new $15-million dollar marketing campaign unveiled by the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in London this week, told Reuters.

“She was great competition and the tournament will miss her. But then again it opens up the draw a bit for someone else to do a little better.”

Williams won consecutive titles in Bangalore, Miami and Charleston earlier this year but struggled during the European claycourt season, losing in the third round at Roland Garros to Slovenia’s Katarina Srebotnik.

Her early exit in Paris at least allowed her some time off and to prepare thoroughly for Wimbledon.

“It was nice to have a bit of time off and I’ve had a lot of time on the grass,” Williams, who had back trouble in Rome this year, said. “I’m feeling great and very positive.

“It’s been a while since I won here but I still think, along with my sister (Venus), I’m the one to beat on grass. Hopefully I can hang in with her.”

Williams is seeded sixth at Wimbledon, one place higher than Venus who will be defending her title.

The Williams sisters were among 30 players featured in the WTA Tour’s “Looking for a Hero” campaign which will be rolled out across 75 countries over the next 18 months.

Oh please, when will she get over herself? :tape:

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM

They're saying that Serena was a sore loser in the 2003 French Open. :o

Apoleb
But then again it opens up the draw a bit for someone else to do a little better

aha, talking about herself again. :lol:

bwahahahahaha
She misses her ?? Give me a break, she hated her and she developped a Henin inferiority complex at Slams last year. Unless "I miss her" means "good riddance" in the hypocritical wta voccabulary.

Read again :rolleyes:

Craigy
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM

She's one of the top favourites to win Wimbledon. The Williams Sisters usually are the ones to beat at Wimbledon.

bwahahahahaha
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
aha, talking about herself again. :lol:

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully you'll follow Justine :kiss:

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM

And she had to throw Venus in there not to sound too full of herself since her sister is the defending champion :p

No matter how good she thinks she is (and I have tremendous respect for her game and fighting spirit so don't blow a fuse when you read this, Reetards), not everyone thinks that she is as good as she states, and so some of the things she sometimes says are uncalled for and just come off as real arrogant.

Apoleb
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully you'll follow Justine :kiss:

Awww. Go take your meds.

Shinjiro
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM

USO 2007

hankqq
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Serena!! :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Who cares about arrogance! 8 time slam champ haters! All the best players are arrogant-Serena just expresses it.

Her press conferences are refreshing because she says what she thinks-not what she thinks people want to hear!

Serenidad.
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
:rolls: @ people saying Serena is full of herself for saying she is a one of the top favorite for Wimbledon.

I guess the people who think Serena is arrogant in that statement think Jelena will have a Wimbledon dish in her trophy cabinet by pushing on grass?

PatrickRyan
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM

They have won 6 Wimbledon's combined in the past 8!!!

Il Primo!
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
JHH has never been a rival in London so it really doesn't matter.

Matt01
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM

:weirdo:

Slumpsova
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Henin has 2 finals and several semifinals.
how about Onehitwonderpova?

pov
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
It's not uncommon in competitive sports to have a fierce rivalry with someone and value that rivalry. Sure you talk smack about them and sometimes it gets heated but it adds an intensity to your game.

Il Primo!
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
:weirdo:
Henin has ZERO titles and only one win against a former champion (last year against an injured Serena). How is she a rival in Wimbledon :weirdo:

Maria won once defeating two former champions and always lost to the eventual winner but in her first try in 03 (Kuz beat her)

Do the maths.

pov
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Henin:- 2 final (lost) 3 SFS in 7 years
Sharapova:- 1 final (won), 2 SFs in 5 years

young_gunner913
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM

How about you get over yourself. She's right, at Wimbledon, she's a huge favorite for the title as is Venus. Maria is also another heavy contender but Serena's beaten her their last 4 meetings.

pov
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Henin has ZERO titles and only one win against a former champion (last year against an injured Serena). How is she a rival in Wimbledon
Wtf? Of course reaching 2 finals and 3 SFs makes one a rival.

Matt01
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Henin has ZERO titles and only one win against a former champion (last year against an injured Serena). How is she a rival in Wimbledon :weirdo:

You're wrong as always. At least get your facts right before talking to me.

pov
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM
She's right, at Wimbledon, she's a huge favorite for the title as is Venus. Maria is also another heavy contender but Serena's beaten her their last 4 meetings.
Yeah.

Il Primo!
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
You're wrong as always. At least get your facts right before talking to me.

Oops. I forgot Martinez. So a old Martinez and an injured Reena. Great achievement for a so called huge threat in WImbledon.

Il Primo!
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Wtf? Of course reaching 2 finals and 3 SFs makes one a rival.

The article makes it sound like if Hénin's absence increased Serena's chances of victory. And I beg to differ since I find Serena way superior to Hénin on grass. That's my point.

Nicolás89
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
In my mind Justine was always the favorite to win Wimbledon from 2005 to 2007, that she didn't won any of those years is a different history.

I agree, Justine will be missed.

Matt01
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM
The article makes it sound like if Hénin's absence increased Serena's chances of victory. And I beg to differ since I find Serena way superior to Hénin on grass. That's my point.

You said that Henin was no rival, but now I see you are already backpeddling :lol:

Il Primo!
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
You said that Henin was no rival, but now I see you are already backpeddling :lol:

I just nuance my thoughts. Big deal?

esquímaux
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
:spit: :haha:

*DEAD*

starin
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM

And who has done better than Serena at Wimbledon other than Venus?? Serena has 2 titles and another final. No one, including retired Justine, other than Venus has a better record. So why shouldn't she think of herself as a favorite??

Stamp Paid
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I just nuance my thoughts. Big deal?:hearts:

supergrunt
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Why whenever there is a Serena thread do people try to start something? Oh well :o .

Nicolás89
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Why whenever there is a Serena thread do people try to start something? Oh well :o .

Thay are talking about Henin not Serena.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Nice words from Serena :bounce:

kwilliams
Jun 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Venus: 4 Wimbledon titles. 2 finals.
Serena: 2 Wimbledon titles. 1 final.
Davenport: 1 Wimbledon title. 2 finals.
Mauresmo: 1 Wimbledon title.
Sharapova: 1 Wimbledton title.
Bartoli: 1 final.

Yeah, I think Serena was right. She and Venus are clearly the players to beat on grass.
It's pretty obvious really.

Junex
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Venus: 4 Wimbledon titles. 2 finals.
Serena: 2 Wimbledon titles. 1 final.
Davenport: 1 Wimbledon title. 2 finals.
Mauresmo: 1 Wimbledon title.
Sharapova: 1 Wimbledton title.
Bartoli: 1 final.

Yeah, I think Serena was right. She and Venus are clearly the players to beat on grass.
It's pretty obvious really.

But there is something really wrong in this statement, its pretty obvious... :devil:

Kunal
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
she needs to focus and get a slam here.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
the tournament misses her...not I miss her :lol:

and all the haters getting their panties up in a bunch :wavey:

rockstar
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM

USO 2007

that match only?! :eek: :tape:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
that match only?! :eek: :tape:

i bet it sucks that a 1 foot serena beat dani...but get over it :awww:

Renalicious
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM

When she's no longer that best of her generation and no longer have the Serena Slam under her name? Oh wait, she'll never have that gone. ;) :worship:

Rena! :bowdown: