PDA

View Full Version : WTF No Wimbledon in german free TV??

Blackbeat
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
well, i was searching for the TV schedule for Wimbledon...

...and only on DSF it gives every evening highlights!!!

:sad::sad::sad:

So no live tennis from Wimbledon in Germany!!

Only on the pay channel Premiere!

:fiery::fiery::fiery:

I hope Eurosport gets the Wimbledon tourny soon!!

H.P.O.
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, that's a big drawback of German free TV. I read on the Wimbledon site that they are even not allowed to offer live streaming for Germany. Hard to believe that a whole nation gets completely cut off from the outside world like this.

And then they say we live in the information age... :tape:

Hans-Peter

Marcelo.
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
In Portugal is the same :smash:Only paid TV

Nina.
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
So this year DSF is only showing highlights?
Last year they were showing at least some live tennis...

Shoulderpova
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
there must be something behind this. DSF always had always been showing Wimbledon for the last few years :shrug:

spiceboy
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the club :tears:

As far as I know, Spain, Italy and Portugal all have Wimbledon on pay TV

...and worst of all is we cannot get that Wimbledon Live thing online either because we are supposed to have TV coverage :fiery:

spiceboy
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
there must be something behind this.

LOL something like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ maybe? :lol:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Wimbledon in Italy is on sky:hearts:
lol here it's impossible see tennis without pay tv:lol:

mr_burns
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
sad but true. premiere has a new contract which allows no other station th show live tennis

it was in the media 6 month ago

I decided to watch onlie, it's cheaper than premiere and i can choose the courts

Don't see a change there soon

.:sk:.
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
DSF will she highlights every day from 8 to 10 pm . Better than nothing :o

fouc
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
any news on polish eurosport?

Ballbasher
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Well I have Premiere so I should be able to catch some action luckily.

Michael!
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
DSF will she highlights every day from 8 to 10 pm . Better than nothing :o

That´s new, I think they just bought the rights for the highlights....
But it´s good, 2 hours are better than nothing :yeah:

fouc
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
OK, it will be covered by polsat sport in poland from 2 to 8.30 probably

Dexter
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Even though it means no Wimbledon on TV for me, I don't think it's a big loss... until the later stages of the tournament, they would only show Muller, Kerber Kohlschreiber, Haas or Popp or whoever who is German. :o

zveeen
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I dont know why but eurosport isnt interested in Wimbledon... :sad:

Michael!
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Even though it means no Wimbledon on TV for me, I don't think it's a big loss... until the later stages of the tournament, they would only show Muller, Kerber Kohlschreiber, Haas or Popp or whoever who is German. :o

What do you expect from Deutsches Sport Fernsehen? :p :o

Itīs a German TV channel :shrug:

Dexter
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
What do you expect from Deutsches Sport Fernsehen? :p :o

It´s a German TV channel :shrug:I know, but sometimes they would show absolutely no action from the main courts during the whole day. I remember once they showed 5 sets match between some German scrub (Popp or Mayer) against Arthurs from Australia that ended sthg like 16-14 in the 5th, almost in its entirety. :o

Michael!
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I know, but sometimes they would show absolutely no action from the main courts during the whole day. I remember once they showed 5 sets match between some German scrub (Popp or Mayer) against Arthurs from Australia that ended sthg like 16-14 in the 5th, almost in its entirety. :o

:lol:
I know what you mean....but sometimes itīs great to see some Germans live on TV ;)

JackFrost
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Thats right. The Wimbledon-Coverage on DSF is always annoying. Itīs not only that they show only german matches, they show also no woman. Only ATP.
But on the other hand...the years before DSF werenīt that much better. The ARD was even more crappy. They left the matches at 5:5 in the third oder fifth set, because the time was up and they have to show the "Musikantenstadl". :help:

Matt01
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
The DSF coverage always sucked anyway --> No big loss.

Matt01
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
:lol:
I know what you mean....but sometimes itīs great to see some Germans live on TV ;)

No it's not, because other than injured Haas, there are no interesting German tennis players at the moment ;)

Michael!
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
No it's not, because other than injured Haas, there are no interesting German tennis players at the moment ;)

thatīs your opinion! :lol:

Lisicki or Kiefer are interesting to watch ;)

Corswandt
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Because Eurosport can't afford it.

It broadcasts novelty stuff nobody else will show, assorted leftovers from (I assume) pay TV channels of the TF1 network and stuff that pays to get itself shown, like curling.

ce
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM
thank God we have JJ Novak Ana Nenad so we can watch on two free channels :lol:

Paule22
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I think it should be possible to watch Wimbledon via the BBC streaming thing. So all is fine.

davidmario
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
buy wimbledon LIVE and get over it.

H.P.O.
Jun 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM
buy wimbledon LIVE and get over it.
Do you mean this?
"Live streaming available globally except Germany and Spain"

Michael!
Jun 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Do you mean this?

Thatīs what I saw :ras:
In Germany we can only watch the on demand videos :mad:
No live streaming for us...

Tennisballova
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Perhaps you can switch to the Dutch state tv channels (Nederland 1, Nederland 2). We can receive ARD und ZDF here on cable too (I watched Halle last week on ZDF from here).

I think its just weird that the biggest/most prestigious sporting event can only be viewed via pay-tv. It should be made available to EVERYBODY :mad:.

mr_burns
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
That sucks, I haven't read this, why no coverage in germany at wimbledon live

want my money back

what a fuck

H.P.O.
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Perhaps you can switch to the Dutch state tv channels (Nederland 1, Nederland 2).
Unfortunately they have removed the Dutch channels from cable TV several months ago ... at least here in the north-west of Germany. :help:

Paule22
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Guys, you know the websites!!! Stop the anger, it's like watching German Bundesliga.

Russianboy
Jun 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
what about ARD and ZDF?

i remember like some years ago they showed live tennis from wimbledon and roland garros :confused:

Kipling
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Do you mean this?

I wonder if you could use a ***** to get around that?

Of course, if your credit card is issued by a German bank...

The Kaz
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM
10:35pm-4am every night for us in Australia :hearts:

No Roland Garros and early US Open coverage on free-to-air tv though :fiery:

Thieving Magpie
Jun 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi, I just contacted Wimbledon Live support to see if German and Spanish users would receive some kind of price reduction since we're not able to use the Live streaming service. However, the answer I got is very disappointing.

Here is what I wrote:

Hi Wimbledon Live Team,

I've been a customer for the two previous years of the Wimbledon Live service. Apparently, this year, there will be no live streaming available in Germany and Spain. Now, since I am from Germany, if I buy an "All Access Pass" like the years before I won't be able to see any live matches, but I would still have to pay the $24.99? That hardly seems fair. If we German or Spanish users get less service there should be a price compensation.

With kind regards
xxx

Here is their answer:
Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Wimbledon Live Support!

The video On Demand offering is available Worldwide in all territories. The price is the same if you get live or video on demand. This is the contract we have in place, we cannot charge less.

For further assistance please consider a one on one session with a support agent via our Live Chat Support Queue. Live Chat is accessible by clicking on the "Customer Service" link on the left side of the page followed by the "Live Help" link on the Customer Service Page. Our support team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you reply to this email, please include the entire email history so that we can easily view our past discussions of your support issue.

Regards,
Wimbledon Live Support
wimbledonlivesupport@mediazone.com
JW

The funny thing is, they made it seem like one has the choice to order either "live" or "video on demand" while in fact you have to buy both but you get only one if you're from Germany or Spain.

H.P.O.
Jun 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
what about ARD and ZDF?
i remember like some years ago they showed live tennis from wimbledon and roland garros :confused:
Not anymore. It's all on Eurosport now - fortunately, because the broadcast has changed for the better. Like someone said before, ARD and ZDF had annoying commentators and used to stop the broadcast in the middle of a match.

Natalicious
Jun 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
wow that really sucks. that means no live-coverage for me in austria too :(

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I swear when I read about this for the first time I thoght that was a bad joke! I mean, seriously. The DTB (Deutscher Tennis Bund) is always saying how they wanna make tennis more interesting for the public, bring it back to be the German Sport #2 etc. and then this!?:fiery:

It's a huge disappointment for everybody like me who doesn't have Premiere or can talk my parents into buying me this package. This sucks and there is no way that tennis will ever again catch up with soccer or formula 1. :(

I hope that this engagement will end soon and a differnt channel buys the Wimbledon rights so it will be available for the general public again!!

JackFrost
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I swear when I read about this for the first time I thoght that was a bad joke! I mean, seriously. The DTB (Deutscher Tennis Bund) is always saying how they wanna make tennis more interesting for the public, bring it back to be the German Sport #2 etc. and then this!?:fiery:

It's a huge disappointment for everybody like me who doesn't have Premiere or can talk my parents into buying me this package. This sucks and there is no way that tennis will ever again catch up with soccer or formula 1. :(

I hope that this engagement will end soon and a differnt channel buys the Wimbledon rights so it will be available for the general public again!!
The german audience has lost interest in tennis because the german tennis lacks of stars. If some day in the future, there is a german player (male or female) who is able to compete with the top stars to win a grand slam, the coverage of the tournaments will be better.
Itīs like the time before a Boris Becker has won his first wimbledon. The coverage of the tournaments was bad, because nobody wanted to see the first round losers suck.
They showed best of the first rounds and then maybe the semis and the finals, win the big stars like Borg, Mc Enroe, Connors, Lendl, Navratilova, Evert usw. played another.

johnoo
Jun 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
its not because of lack of interest its because the BBC are doing the same as sky do to british eurosport for the USO and blocking there coverage so you are forced to watch there coverage in the uk(although why the rest of mainland eurosport channels can't show it is something I don't know)no bad thing for wimbledon and BBC but for the USO you have to pay sky a lot of money to see any tennis,theres no free coverage of the USO in the uk,my opinion is for the good of tennis all grand slams should be on free to air tv,yeah they lose money but tennis gains in having a much bigger audience,won't happen though,just out of interest does anyone know when was the last time eurosport showed wimbledon? I can remember them showing it but just not when,and did they actually show the final live or just the early rounds?I just can't remember:confused:

Joseph73
Jun 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM

That would be only the first 4 days.:lol:

Tennisballova
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately they have removed the Dutch channels from cable TV several months ago ... at least here in the north-west of Germany. :help:
Well, I made a mistake there :o. Here in Holland it will be broadcast by NET5 (cable). I'm affraid you will need a satelite for this :sad:.

Tennisballova
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
I know, it's ridiculous :fiery:. I believe they covered it last year, though.

Cankarlo
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
I have BBCi stream channels in Astra Satellite but not working right now. Maybe the frequency have changed?????(I know 12441 V ) Please help if you know.