PDA

View Full Version : Iijima? <Is she as bad as they claim?>

mckyle.
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I read in one thread on this board about how terrible this girl was and how she had an inflated ranking from playing Japanese challengers. She's only beaten one top 200 player before this week, and now she's just one match away from being in the Wimbledon main draw after beating Esperson 6-3 6-2, and Osterloh 6-2 4-6 7-5. So is this girl any good after all, or did she just have a good draw?

njnetswill
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Shocking that she had gotten her ranking that high without beating a single top 200 player. :eek:

This is proving to be a good week for her though. Japanese girls tend to play well on the grass. :)

pcrtennis
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM
The first time I saw her in a Japanese challenger against Nakamura and was not impressed, from a few years ago. The I saw her against a good young Chinese player last year and I actually impressed.

She's unlikely to get much into the top 100 unless she works really hard but she's very consistent...just no weapons.

Rising Sun
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Congrats Kumiko! :yeah:

Just hope her detractors won't start staying that Lilia was tired from yesterday's match. :rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
She was the worst professional player I've ever seen play, yes. But she's been slumping recently or something. :shrug:

Rising Sun
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
She was the worst professional player I've ever seen play, yes. But she's been slumping recently or something. :shrug:
She was on a 9-match losing streak until April.

Poova
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Isn't she the one who lost 6-0 6-0 to Sexy Lexy? :lol:

Anyway I've never seen her play, but the above is pretty embarrassing. :tape:

Viktymise
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
She got double bagelled by Stevenson on green clay. That's more than bad.

pcrtennis
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
iijima probably dislikes clay more than stevenson...so...

clearly she's doing something right in wimby qualies...

Slumpsova
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
she hardly travels oversea :o

Hachiko
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
She's awesome. I love her. She's written on my Facebook Wall twice now.

StephenUK
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Shocking that she had gotten her ranking that high without beating a single top 200 player. :eek:

This is proving to be a good week for her though. Japanese girls tend to play well on the grass. :)

As her number 1 critic (see the previous threads), I have to bow down and salute her career best win over Lilia Osterloh. :worship:

After beating world no 188 Esperon in q1, she now has beaten world no 129 Osterloh. This is the first time she has ever beaten two top 200 players in the same year, let alone the same tournament, her only other top 200 wins being over world 172 Morita and world 200 Hisamatsu in 2006 and 2007 (I think).

Osterloh had been taken to 13-11 in her previous match and the good news for Iijima is that her next opponent, Rika Fujiwara, was taken to 12-10 final set by Vesna Manasieva so maybe the luck is with her. Maybe just playing more top 200 players outside of Japan has given her more confidence, as I think these are just about the only matches she has ever won outside Japanese ITFs.

-sugi-
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Nice to see StephenUK congratulate her. :yeah:
Overall, she has been pretty lucky with her draw here but she has made the most of it and with her hard work, she deserves this success and run here.
I hope she is enjoying it.

She's awesome. I love her. She's written on my Facebook Wall twice now.
Wow :eek:. You are so lucky! Do you speak to her in English or Japanese? I wish I knew Kumiko :(.

Hachiko
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Nice to see StephenUK congratulate her. :yeah:
Overall, she has been pretty lucky with her draw here but she has made the most of it and with her hard work, she deserves this success and run here.
I hope she is enjoying it.

Wow :eek:. You are so lucky! Do you speak to her in English or Japanese? I wish I knew Kumiko :(.

I know, I'm surprised she wrote back to me. I just read your experience with her in her cheering thread, she seems so friendly with her fans! Unfortunetly I don't speak any Japanese, she wrote in English. You should make a Facebook too, she might remember you.

The Kaz
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Well Done Kumiko :yeah:

the jamierbelyea
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
She plays a lot of challengers on synthetic grass, so it should not be as surprising that she did well here.

I know ppl are harking on her for her loss to Stevenson, but Alex seemingly had better results on clay then she did on her other surfaces this year.. I mean this on her hardcourt matches.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Congrats to IIjima, she played very well today :).

Xian
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
yes she is horrible

-sugi-
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
yes she is horrible
Have you actually seen her play?

-sugi-
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Congrats to IIjima, she played very well today :).
:hug: I am really sorry she beat Lilia, but I am sure Lilia will have a great hard court season. :D :hug:

hankqq
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I know nothing about her. What are the girl's stats? Age, size? Is she new, or has she been stuck in the minor leagues for a while now? If she's just starting out, I'd go easy on her...

CooCooCachoo
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Congrats Kumiko! :yeah:

Just hope her detractors won't start staying that Lilia was tired from yesterday's match. :rolleyes:
But Lilia was tired from yesterday's match. She wasn't moving that well. Iijima is nothing special, but she is definitely not as poor as I expected her to be; she's no pushover by any means.

Ellery
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
After her dreadful slump earlier this year, it's great to see her notch 2 decent wins in a row :D Hope she qualifies.

Rising Sun
Jun 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM
But Lilia was tired from yesterday's match. She wasn't moving that well. Iijima is nothing special, but she is definitely not as poor as I expected her to be; she's no pushover by any means.
Sorry, what I meant was that people may say she won only because Lilia was tired. :)

At least you saw the match and say that she isn't poor. I don't think anybody's ever said that she's special, so that's good enough. :lol:

Rising Sun
Jun 19th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I know nothing about her. What are the girl's stats? Age, size? Is she new, or has she been stuck in the minor leagues for a while now? If she's just starting out, I'd go easy on her...
She's been playing in the ITFs for quite a while, but she only actually turned "pro" in 2005. Her ranking's made a steady improvement since then. :)

Xian
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Have you actually seen her play?

yes, as I said horrible

Boreas
Jun 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
:eek: Now, qualify:D

-sugi-
Jun 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
yes, as I said horrible
And care to tell me what match you saw her play?

Xian
Jun 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
And care to tell me what match you saw her play?

Auckland 2007 vs Salerni