PDA

View Full Version : Ondraskova def. Smith 6-1 4-6 6-2, [21] Kostanic-Tosic def. Elliott 6-4 2-6 8-6

Paul.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
All of the Brits out of Wimbledon qualies :sad:

Good for both girls to take a set, but I was really hoping at least one of them could pull through. Elliott managed to get it back to 5-5 after Kostanic-Tosic served for the match, and was 6-5* up before losing the last three games.

Oh well, it's a step in the good direction for both girls. Hopefully the Brits can do more damage in the main draw.

I was actually laughing as I typed that :lol:

mckyle.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Isn't this the second week in a row that Elliot has had a tough loss?

*hingis_forever*
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Despite the rankings this is a bad loss for Elliott as Kostanic has an awful grass court record.

Paul.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Isn't this the second week in a row that Elliot has had a tough loss?

Yup.

Lost to Rezai in Birmingham 3-6 6-3 6-7 after having a match point in the tiebreak.

paul_masterton
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Both did well but will be disappointed. Neither Kostanic or Ondaskova are good on grass, and Anna in particular would have had a great chance to qualify against Dzehalvich.

Paul.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Despite the rankings this is a bad loss for Elliott as Kostanic has an awful grass court record.

I might be wrong, but Kostanic-Tosic seems only to have had 1 win on grass prior to this week, back in 1999 - Wimbledon qualies :tape:

I didn't realise her grass court record was so terrible :help:

GoDominique
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Kostanic has a typical lefty top-spin game that doesn't work well on grass. Just look at Schnyder.

So yeah, bad loss probably.

Destiny
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
HOPE IS evaporating FOR THE BRITS:sad:

mckyle.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I might be wrong, but Kostanic-Tosic seems only to have had 1 win on grass prior to this week, back in 1999 - Wimbledon qualies :tape:

I didn't realise her grass court record was so terrible :help:

Wait... let's give Jelena credit and try to make Elliot's loss not look as bad. Kostanic also beat Takao in the first round of s'Hertogenbosch in 2006 ;)

Paul.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Kostanic has a typical lefty top-spin game that doesn't work well on grass. Just look at Schnyder.

So yeah, bad loss probably.

Patty is pretty dire on grass, but she doesn't have quite as bad a record as everyone makes out. The one time she played Birmingham (2004), she reached the semis, albeit with a very nice draw. She did take Sharapova to three sets though, and that was the year she won Wimbledon.

And she reached the 4th round at Wimbledon last year, which is something Kostanic-Tosic could never even dream of :lol:

But yeah, they do have a lot of parallels in their games. Elliott really should have taken this one.

Monica_Rules
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Amanda :sad: Another close 3 set loss. How different this grass season could have been.

daniela86
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Poor Mandy :sad: :awww: