PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Qualifying R2 - (9) M. Rybarikova def. S. Karatantcheva 6:3, 6:3

Dawson.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
many people thought sesil was going to qualifying, me included!

Bulgaria
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Trully normal.

Kworb
Nooooooooooooooooooooo :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

SESIL why whyyy

paul_masterton
never in doubt. Magdalena could be dangerous in the main draw

The Kaz
Expected.

Sesil sucks on grass. period.
Now back to clay :hug:

Just Do It
:(

ghosts
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
pff Sesil :sad: :(

Bulgaria
I've expected that.

*Jean*
Sesil :sad:

I wish now Magda can qualify!

Louis Cyphre
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Sesil you sux on grass but to loose from Rybarikova is :help:
Good luck to Magda , I hope she can make a good tournament :yeah:

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sesil you sux on grass but to loose from Rybarikova is :help:
How so? She started the year well outside the top 200, is now on the brink of the top 100 and has been playing great despite the odd injury here and there since late last year. :scratch:

Louis Cyphre
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
How so? She started the year well outside the top 200, is now on the brink of the top 100 and has been playing great despite the odd injury here and there since late last year. :scratch:

well...with all the respect to Magda I think that Sesil is far better player then Magda.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Overrated.:)

KasiaSkowronska
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
nice and CLEAN win Magdalena :worship:

one more victory :yeah:

The Kaz
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
well...with all the respect to Magda I think that Sesil is far better player then Magda.

*cough* 2nd round @ Roland Garros as a qualifier *cough*

jamatthews
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
many people thought sesil was going to qualifying, me included!

Seriously who? :shrug: :help:

Rybarikova is in better form and has better Grass court pedigree.

Juanes
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
nice win Magda!

qualify now pls! and TOP 100 will be your!

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM

:lol:
Magda is better :angel:
but Regina will beat her tomorrow

Effy
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Magda :woohoo:

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Everyone knew Sesil has no chance today :yawn:

GoDominique
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Expected.

Sesil sucks. period.
Agreed.

Paul.
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Sesil was never going to win this one :lol:

Magda would be ranked far higher had it not been for all of her injury problems. Junior Wimbledon finalist 2006, remember ;)

Now qualify :yeah:

Slumpsova
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Rybarikova is a troll :ras:

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
:lol:
Magda is better :angel:
Was just looking at her record and it's pretty impressive. My honourary Slovakian heart still believes though :)

Oswald56
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
How much potential does Rybarikova have? What's her game like?

RenaSlam.
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
10Ks are best for you, Sesil. Stay there.

$uricate
Not a shock :shrug:
Magdalena is going to be a great player. Sesil was almost double bageled in her last Wimbledon but Maria gave her a pity game.

Shepster
How much potential does Rybarikova have? What's her game like?
She's got Dani's build, but a very dissimilar game, very fast around the back of court, lovely touch too, she hits a very nice dropshot. If people like Erakovic and Cetkovska are around 50-ish in the world then Magda definitely has the potential to do at least that.

Poova
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Sesil hasn't played any 10k's. :)

darkangel23
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
At least won a match in qualies! what gives her 15 pts :)

Slumpsova
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
i thought you like her :rolleyes:

FedererBulgaria
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Sesil on grass:tape:

Andiyan
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Ryba :banana:!

matty
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
It's a long road back.....

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Since Sesil was on drugs when she achieved her results before her ban, we can safely assume she actually isn't that good without her drugs and will struggle to get near the top 100

wtatourfan
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I really wanted Sesil to win this!

Slutiana
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Thunder strikes again.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I just got back from Roehampton and I saw this match and a fine match it was too. First to clear up a couple of things. Yes it was an expected result. But it was an expected result not because Karatancheva sucks on grass as some posters put it but because Rybarikova is absolutely amazing on the stuff. In truth there are not a lot of girls in the qualifying who play great grass court tennis, not many at all. Yes, Sesil's game is better suited to hardcourts and clay but the same could be said about quite a few of the players who won today. Sesil has a lot going for her, she is fast, she hits deep penetrating shots and she doesn't give away too many free points. With an easier draw Sesil could have qualified. I would say Sesil is still on track to finish this year comfortably in the top 100 and I certainly hope next year she can be a real force in the game. More about Sesil later.

As for Magda, all I can say is "wow". Magda is playing great grass court tennis the way grass tennis should be played. Sharp crisp serving. Fabulous volleys. Blistering forehands, and don't even get me started on her backhand which I am now convinced can be one of the best in tennis. Every shot Magda hits, she hits with purpose and intent. There was power tennis side by side with touch, flair and grace. Brilliant dropshots, on the mark lobs. Magda did make quite a few errors too. But it would be practically impossible not to hit some out while going for all her shots the way Magda was. I'm sure the winner to loser ratio was probably something in the region of 5 to 2 in Magda's favour. I think most players would take that in a second.

No Regina will not beat Magda tomorrow. I don't think there is a player in the qualifying draw that could beat Magda the way she is playing. I did get to see a bit of Kulikova and she is playing pretty good but not anywhere like good enough to beat Magda. ;)

Seriously I expect Magda to qualify and I don't expect her to stop there. With a good draw Magda could get to the fourth round. She is a danger to a substantial number of seeded players. Providing Magda stays fit I see her in at least the top 50 by the end of the year. Yes, you could say I was excited by this performance. :bounce:

And now a few more words about Sesil, understandably with the drug suspension and all fans on this forum have very divided opinions on Sesil. I can only give my personal experiences. Like a lot of tennis fans I have chatted a little here and there with some of the players over the years. I want to be clear I don't say that as a boast and I am sure there are plenty of folks on this forum who have chatted to players far more extensively than me. I am rather shy and generally don't wish to disturb or bother the players who have a lot more to worry about than being friendly to me. I will however say of all the players I have ever spoken to no one has been more friendly, warm, genuine and down to earth than Sesil Karatancheva. She is without a doubt the most approachable tennis player I can think of. For a player who has a reputation of being cocky, due to the kick Sharapova's ass comments and the thunderous return quote, when one actually speaks to her one is taken aback by how humble and even self-deprecating she is. I was really touched to hear that she remembered than I spoke to her briefly when I saw her beat Amanda Keen in 2005. I was very surprised actually as I only spoke to her for about 2 minutes but reply was quite funny. "I am still very young, I remember everything." And yeah, I guess when I was 18 my memory was better too, although I am now so far past that, that I can't even remember my memory being better but I guess it was. When I told her that I was glad she was back on the tour she was very grateful and made it very clear how happy she was to be back competing. And this after just having lost a match too.

Anyway, other people can make whatever judgements they want about Sesil, but I regard myself as a pretty good judge of character and as far as I am concerned Sesil is someone I have a great deal of respect for. No, I don't know what exactly happened with drug results. But it does now seem that she was indeed pregnant and did have a miscarrige and I'm inclinded to believe that did lead to positive drugs tests. Again that is just my personal opinion.

ce
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:45 PM
sesil :awww:
:woohoo:

markdelaney
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
But it does now seem that she was indeed pregnant and did have a miscarrige and I'm inclinded to believe that did lead to positive drugs tests. Again that is just my personal opinion.

She tested positive for Nandrolone decanoate which is an anabolic steroid. She had claimed she was pregnant at the time of one of the tests, which would have explained the high levels of nandrolone in her system. However, the laboratory also carried out a pregnancy test on her urine sample and it came back negative.

It is a performance enhancing drug, which she tested positive for at Roland Garros and also in Japan. Nandrolone was found in concentrations which were inconsistent with the normal levels for the stage of pregnancy she claimed she was at and she could not reveal any proof of miscarriage via any medical or hospital records.

The only thing I will say in her defence is I doubt she took it knowingly or thought the idea up in the first place. She was only 15 at the time.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
She tested positive for Nandrolone decanoate which is an anabolic steroid. She had claimed she was pregnant at the time of one of the tests, which would have explained the high levels of nandrolone in her system. However, the laboratory also carried out a pregnancy test on her urine sample and it came back negative.

It is a performance enhancing drug, which she tested positive for at Roland Garros and also in Japan. Nandrolone was found in concentrations which were inconsistent with the normal levels for the stage of pregnancy she claimed she was at and she could not reveal any proof of miscarriage via any medical or hospital records.

The only thing I will say in her defence is I doubt she took it knowingly or thought the idea up in the first place. She was only 15 at the time.

That too is possible. Either way it is not something I personally choose to hold against her.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Expected, honestly.

Kworb
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just got back from Roehampton and I saw this match and a fine match it was too. First to clear up a couple of things. Yes it was an expected result. But it was an expected result not because Karatancheva sucks on grass as some posters put it but because Rybarikova is absolutely amazing on the stuff. In truth there are not a lot of girls in the qualifying who play great grass court tennis, not many at all. Yes, Sesil's game is better suited to hardcourts and clay but the same could be said about quite a few of the players who won today. Sesil has a lot going for her, she is fast, she hits deep penetrating shots and she doesn't give away too many free points. With an easier draw Sesil could have qualified. I would say Sesil is still on track to finish this year comfortably in the top 100 and I certainly hope next year she can be a real force in the game. More about Sesil later.

As for Magda, all I can say is "wow". Magda is playing great grass court tennis the way grass tennis should be played. Sharp crisp serving. Fabulous volleys. Blistering forehands, and don't even get me started on her backhand which I am now convinced can be one of the best in tennis. Every shot Magda hits, she hits with purpose and intent. There was power tennis side by side with touch, flair and grace. Brilliant dropshots, on the mark lobs. Magda did make quite a few errors too. But it would be practically impossible not to hit some out while going for all her shots the way Magda was. I'm sure the winner to loser ratio was probably something in the region of 5 to 2 in Magda's favour. I think most players would take that in a second.

No Regina will not beat Magda tomorrow. I don't think there is a player in the qualifying draw that could beat Magda the way she is playing. I did get to see a bit of Kulikova and she is playing pretty good but not anywhere like good enough to beat Magda. ;)

Seriously I expect Magda to qualify and I don't expect her to stop there. With a good draw Magda could get to the fourth round. She is a danger to a substantial number of seeded players. Providing Magda stays fit I see her in at least the top 50 by the end of the year. Yes, you could say I was excited by this performance. :bounce:

And now a few more words about Sesil, understandably with the drug suspension and all fans on this forum have very divided opinions on Sesil. I can only give my personal experiences. Like a lot of tennis fans I have chatted a little here and there with some of the players over the years. I want to be clear I don't say that as a boast and I am sure there are plenty of folks on this forum who have chatted to players far more extensively than me. I am rather shy and generally don't wish to disturb or bother the players who have a lot more to worry about than being friendly to me. I will however say of all the players I have ever spoken to no one has been more friendly, warm, genuine and down to earth than Sesil Karatancheva. She is without a doubt the most approachable tennis player I can think of. For a player who has a reputation of being cocky, due to the kick Sharapova's ass comments and the thunderous return quote, when one actually speaks to her one is taken aback by how humble and even self-deprecating she is. I was really touched to hear that she remembered than I spoke to her briefly when I saw her beat Amanda Keen in 2005. I was very surprised actually as I only spoke to her for about 2 minutes but reply was quite funny. "I am still very young, I remember everything." And yeah, I guess when I was 18 my memory was better too, although I am now so far past that, that I can't even remember my memory being better but I guess it was. When I told her that I was glad she was back on the tour she was very grateful and made it very clear how happy she was to be back competing. And this after just having lost a match too.

Anyway, other people can make whatever judgements they want about Sesil, but I regard myself as a pretty good judge of character and as far as I am concerned Sesil is someone I have a great deal of respect for. No, I don't know what exactly happened with drug results. But it does now seem that she was indeed pregnant and did have a miscarrige and I'm inclinded to believe that did lead to positive drugs tests. Again that is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for this amazing post :worship: :worship: :worship:

I hope Rybarikova can be consistent enough to win some more rounds!

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Seriously I expect Magda to qualify and I don't expect her to stop there. With a good draw Magda could get to the fourth round. She is a danger to a substantial number of seeded players. Providing Magda stays fit I see her in at least the top 50 by the end of the year.
Stop it, you're turning me on :lol:

Magda definitely has that effect on people, I saw a match of hers on a stream at the end of last year and she just makes you an instant fan. The dropshots are just :drool:

Natash.
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Stop it, you're turning me on :lol:

Magda definitely has that effect on people, I saw a match of hers on a stream at the end of last year and she just makes you an instant fan. The dropshots are just :drool:

Thank god for Bratislava livestream. :inlove:

Hantu515
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Indeed!, Magda was great to watch then!

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Oh indeed, I do, every day :p I watched it for Domi and then discovered Magda and ... well, things haven't been the same since :hearts:

hankqq
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Karatantcheva is not the best on grass anyway. She'll do better during hardcourt season.

Natash.
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Oh indeed, I do, every day :p I watched it for Domi and then discovered Magda and ... well, things haven't been the same since :hearts:

Same. :lol: Both are great talents in their own way and I hope Magda can crack the top 100 very soon.

Natash.
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
http://infonet.tv/zobraz.php?archiv=2143

:hearts: :worship:

Sev played a terrific match there as well.

cn ireland
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
This was always going to be a tough match for Sesil as she's not great on grass yet!

However at least she won a match and gets some valuable ranking points with it:)!

CooCooCachoo
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Rybarikova should qualify and win a few matches :shrug:

Saw most of the first set, high-level tennis from both. For Sesil fans, it's all good, I think. She'll defnitely get back up there.

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 19th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I must say I agree with the Sesil personnality comments. She was very nice when she came to Quebec City, very approachable. Talked to everyone, smiling. I do think she entered a world she probably was not ready for. Glad to see she didn't change.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I must say I agree with the Sesil personnality comments. She was very nice when she came to Quebec City, very approachable. Talked to everyone, smiling. I do think she entered a world she probably was not ready for. Glad to see she didn't change.

:yeah:

She's a good actress more than a good person. (And I'm not including the drug test in this, as even if she took the stuff she probably didn't know what it was).

And to the Bulgarian Brat: Bye Bitch :bigwave:

Pathetic opinions which I am sure are not even based on experience. :tape: