PDA

View Full Version : Will There Be A New Wimbledon Champ?

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
With every Wimbledon champ from 1999-2007 expected to be in the draw will one of these 5 ladies hoist the Venus Rosewater Dish, or will there be a new name inscribed?

Venus Williams (2007, 2005, 2001, 2000)
http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/venus-williams-wins-wimbledon-2007.jpg
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Tournaments/2006/Wimbledon/General/2006_06_16_venus.jpg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1323369.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F106CF9CE1E9982A0A31 5A5397277B4DC33E
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1045410.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6071E02E155E251AD 9930FDCFC4C15FBB
Amelie Mauresmo (2006)
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41864000/jpg/_41864296_trophy416.jpg

Maria Sharapova (2004)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/FlamingoSpice/wimbledon.jpg

Serena Williams (2003, 2002)
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2493738.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6FB33EDBCF465F0D2 9930FDCFC4C15FBB
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/970315.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6A21C2D0ED621D4A6 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Lindsay Davenpont (1999)
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/52844035.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=780858ABC91EC21494E4F54F84FE66FDA40A659CEC4C8CB6

Maria and Venus have one a major in the past 52 weeks.
Maria, Serena, and Venus are in the top 10.
Maria and Serena are leading the tour in titles won (3).

Will one of these 5 win the title?

Craig.
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Maria since she's in all three categories that you mentioned :lol:

Honestly though, I really feel like she'll do well there and hopefully win.

Il Primo!
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
No. And hopefully no. I'm still not over this 06 edition though :bigcry:

hankqq
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
All of the active Wimbledon champs are still better than almost anyone else on grass. Even Mauresmo could put together an inspired run. I don't think we'll see a first time Wimby winner this year, though one never knows these days.

Can Ivanovic, Jankovic or Kuznetsova (the 3 non-Wimbledon winners with the best chances to win it) beat more than 1 of the 5 current/previous winners? They'll likely have to get by at least 2, maybe 3 and possibly 4 of them. I don't think so this year. Imagine someone going through a murderer's row of Davenport or Mauresmo, then Serena, then Venus then Sharapova? Who of the non-winners is capable of doing this on grass?

LudwigDvorak
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
This board is going to be hysterical after Dementieva wins the grass court slam.

Slampova
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Nope. Maria, Venus or Serena will take the title!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Rafa Nadal :D

Corswandt
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Can Ivanovic, Jankovic or Kuznetsova (the 3 non-Wimbledon winners with the best chances to win it) beat more than 1 of the 5 current/previous winners? They'll likely have to get by at least 2, maybe 3 and possibly 4 of them.

Or possibly none.

Not saying that there will be as much carnage as there was at RG, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were large holes in the draw, through which any of those three can reach the latter stages of the tournament beating only chokey scrubs in the process.

Optima
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Jelena J :yeah:

slamchamp
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Maria:worship:

Expat
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Or possibly none.

Not saying that there will be as much carnage as there was at RG, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were large holes in the draw, through which any of those three can reach the latter stages of the tournament beating only chokey scrubs in the process.
venus and serena can lose to scrubs any time any surface
but it would be hard to me to think that maria will lose to anyone but a champion on grass

Emina.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Ajde JJ & maria!:angel:

Corswandt
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:06 AM
but it would be hard to me to think that maria will lose to anyone but a champion on grass

Maria has no serve again.

And she'll get a horrible draw.

Cp6uja
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:10 AM
AO: Djokovic
RG: Ivanovic
Wim: ????ovic
OG: ????ovic
USO: ????ovic

I hope that Serbia will reach "GOLDEN SLAM" this season :rocker2:
But by far biggest problem i see here in Wimbledon where Federer, Nadal, Sharapova, Serena and Venus create strongest front against Serbian invasion :devil:

I realy hope that we will have this season "New Wimbledon Champ" and except Nadal only ????ovic's have realistics chances for that :drool:.

slamchamp
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:11 AM

And she'll get a horrible draw.Don't be so sure:angel: ..I'm sure she and her team are working on it, there's no news about her in a long time..so I suppose she's training hard, I hope:unsure:

slamchamp
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM
AO: Djokovic
RG: Ivanovic
Wim: ????ovic
OG: ????ovic
USO: ????ovic

I hope that Serbia will reach "GOLDEN SLAM" this season :rocker2:
But by far biggest problem i see here in Wimbledon where Federer, Nadal, Sharapova, Serena and Venus create strongest front against Serbian invasion :devil:

I realy hope that we will have this season "New Wimbledon Champ" and except Nadal only ????ovic's have realistics chances for that :drool:.Ana to win the Serena slam:rocker2:

dybbuk
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
A former champion will win. The last option in the poll is weird though. Maria was Top 15 when she won, in '04 she would have fallen under "New, someone else in the top 30 will win", not the "Nowhere" option. :lol:

ASP0315
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
someone inside top 30 has a shot. oops in case i forgot venus was world number 23 when she won the title last year. ;)

Who knows?
there might be new winner this year. although the odds are low but still anything can be possible.

slamchamp
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
....OVIC ... :cool: Jelenovic:)

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM

I, for some reason, feel that'll happen as well. :scared:

slamchamp
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I, for some reason, feel that'll happen as well. :scared:will she be the number 3 seed?

spiritedenergy
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Don't be so sure:angel: ..I'm sure she and her team are working on it, there's no news about her in a long time..so I suppose she's training hard, I hope:unsure:

I agree, I read in the news Maria and Yuri just came over Larry's place for some talk:lol: :?cakewalkdrawinthemaking?:

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
will she be the number 3 seed?

Probably. I'm just hoping that Venus'll be moved up to 4 and Maria'll stay at 3 so they can't meet until the final and that Maria gets someone other than Serena as a quarterfinal opponent, which would be pretty darn amazing.

slamchamp
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I agree, I read in the news Maria and Yuri just came over Larry's place for some talk:lol: :?cakewalkdrawinthemaking?:no, cause she wins GS beating tough players unlike others

Nikkiri
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM
no, cause she wins GS beating tough players unlike others

Get over it.

Emina.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Go Mash! :rocker2:

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Get over it.

Hey you! :wavey:

I miss you :hearts:

Nikkiri
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Hey you! :wavey:

I miss you :hearts:

:wavey:

No Ana threads for you to post in? :awww: :p

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:03 AM
:wavey:

No Ana threads for you to post in? :awww: :p

No, unfortunately :lol:

She's actually starting to grow on me a little. Just watched an interview and she seemed real sweet and sincere.

Nikkiri
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Looks like it's Jelena's Wimbledon. According to Cp6uja ;)

Nikkiri
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:06 AM
No, unfortunately :lol:

She's actually starting to grow on me a little. Just watched an interview and she seemed real sweet and sincere.

You know if you didn't post on this board you might even really like her. :eek: :lol:

RenaSlam.
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have a feeling Venus is going to win again.

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:07 AM
You know if you didn't post on this board you might even really like her. :eek: :lol:

Nah, I don't get influenced that easily :lol: She's still pretty annoying, but I don't hate her anymore. I'm indifferent, let's say ;)

spiritedenergy
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Looks like it's Jelena's Wimbledon. According to Cp6uja ;)

Cp6uja voted Ana in the poll:scared:

Lucas_Arg
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Well I always hope for Maria in Wimby, so good luck for her.

Nikkiri
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Cp6uja voted Ana in the poll:scared:

Must have been a mistake. :angel:

ASP0315
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM

right
that the reason she won wimbledon, US open and Australian open isn't it. ? :weirdo:

I'm no fan of sharapova but serve is the only good weapon she has.(her baseline game is pretty much average by my standards. )
When her baseline game is in trouble she comes up with a big serve and forehand winner and get herself out of jail.

spiritedenergy
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Must have been a mistake. :angel:

:lol: Maybe... I'm scared though:tape:

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM
If Ivanovic comes up against a Venus or a Masha playing well on grass, she's probably going down. JJ's game just doesn't suit the surface and Sveta is the most beatable of the non-champs with a realistic shot as she can have such horrendous off days and sets.

Would have to say no, as the two most likely are Masha and Venus.

wtatourfan
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Hope Sharapova, Serena or Jankovic!

serena williams
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I feel like this year will be one of the Williams vs Maria....

Fretchap
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Maria, Ree or Vee will win :angel:

Marshmallow
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have a feeling Venus is going to win again.

That's what I like to hear!

I feel it too, my Chakras are vibrating!!!! Come on Vee, (or Serena if I can't have that!)

Apoleb
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I voted for Serena. Her serve alone will carry her to the latter stages. There's no Justine anymore to kick her ass.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:13 AM

:rolls: good one

DA FOREHAND
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I hope Jill Craybis wins as so many of you say about others that never/rarely win. She deserves it :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Sesil's in the qualies.

I think that answers the question.

Cp6uja
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:16 AM
In Open Era only Navratilova, Graf and Serena won in same season RG and Wimbledon and that is big problem about chances that we will have A New Wimbledon Champ this season, because only Wimb-Less player which is able to be compared with her power, serve, "size" and attacking style with Williams sisters and Sharapova is current Roland Garros champion. BTW Nadal have same problem (only Borg and Laver in last 50 years won RG and Wimbledon in same year) but he already shows last two seasons that he is able for that.

Since 1999 all winners is extremly aggressive players VenusX4, SerenaX2, Davenport, Sharapova and Mauresmo where Venus, Maria and Lindsay is classic WTA "BIG GIRLS" and Serena and Mauresmo is such powered and musculate (half-man :devil:) athletes. So it must be again some brutal power attacker.

Lindsay and Mauresmo is not same players like before, Vaidisova this season is :tape:... Jelena prove in past (beating Venus and Maria at grass) that she is always dangeruos and Sveta prove that she knows to attack - but still grass is worse surface for both so i think that BIG4 (Maria, sisters and Ana) together this season to win title have almost such good "sure bet" chances like BIG3 in ATP! Maria played her career-best tennis this season in Australia, Serena remembered us between february and april at her best days and Venus season so far realy sucks but she is XXI grass queen and BTW her half-season results before her Wimbledon titles in 2000, 2005 and 2007 is not (much) better than this season! Ana reach final at both 2008 slams and she still improve so if anybody is able to be real threat to sisters and Sharapova it's she.

But things will be totaly different only if all this BIG4 will be in same half of the draw :tape:

Tennisstar86
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM
not likely... as All of these players have a good shot at the title except maybe MOMO..... And I if Venus gets out of the early rounds i expect her to win.... I only see Sharapova losing to Venus/ Serena/ Lindsay....If Maria and Venus dont show up (mentally) i expect Serena to walk away with the title...

So no... wheres the option for just an oldie will win...

Danči Dementia
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
This board is going to be hysterical after Dementieva wins the grass court slam.

:rocker2:

Tennisstar86
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:19 AM
In Open Era only Navratilova, Graf and Serena won in same season RG and Wimbledon and that is big problem about chances that we will have A New Wimbledon Champ this season, because only Wimb-Less player which is able to be compared with her power, serve, "size" and attacking style with Williams sisters and Sharapova is current Roland Garros champion. BTW Nadal have same problem (only Borg and Laver in last 50 years won RG and Wimbledon in same year) but he already shows last two seasons that he is able for that.

Since 1999 all winners is extremly aggressive players VenusX4, SerenaX2, Davenport, Sharapova and Mauresmo where Venus, Maria and Lindsay is classic WTA "BIG GIRLS" and Serena and Mauresmo is such powered and musculate (half-man :devil:) athletes. So it must be again some brutal power attacker.

Lindsay and Mauresmo is not same players like before, Vaidisova this season is :tape:... Jelena prove in past (beating Venus and Maria at grass) that she is always dangeruos and Sveta prove that she knows to attack - but still grass is worse surface for both so i think that BIG4 (Maria, sisters and Ana) together this season to win title have almost such good "sure bet" chances like BIG3 in ATP! Maria played her career-best tennis this season in Australia, Serena remembered us between february and april at her best days and Venus season so far realy sucks but she is XXI grass queen and BTW her half-season results before her Wimbledon titles in 2000, 2005 and 2007 is not (much) better than this season! Ana reach final at both 2008 slams and she still improve so if anybody is able to be real threat to sisters and Sharapova it's she.

But things will be totaly different only if all this BIG4 will be in same half of the draw :tape:

HAHA... Mauresmo is not a power player.... and her game is nothing like Serenas.... Nice way to try and say Jankovic has no chance...(I dont think she doesn...but her odds are just as good as Anas) good one though...

CJ07
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:42 AM
someone inside top 30 has a shot. oops in case i forgot venus was world number 23 when she won the title last year. ;)

Who knows?
there might be new winner this year. although the odds are low but still anything can be possible.
She was actually ranked 31st.

So technically, a player outside of the Top 30 has won recently.

shirley
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Maria will win.

(Or Venus or Serena!)

Cp6uja
Jun 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
HAHA... Mauresmo is not a power player.... and her game is nothing like Serenas.... Nice way to try and say Jankovic has no chance...(I dont think she doesn...but her odds are just as good as Anas) good one though...Mauresmo is an elite attacker of this game (and great athlete), but b/c she is right now just shadow of player which we know from past, her case is not so interesting at the moment.

When we talking about Jelena i will be first very happy if i'm wrong that grass is worst surface for her super-defending style but i'm realy doubt. At all other slams she reach semifinal atleast once but at Wimbledon JJ still never not reach Quarterfinal. I will change my oppinion about her chances maybe already after draw if all or atleast 3 of "BIG4" contenders will be in opposite half b/c out of BIG4 if Jelena not "beat herself" only Sveta and Lindsay is dangeruos for her.

Viktymise
Jun 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Sesil's in the qualies.

I think that answers the question.

Dream on. She'll lose to Lexy in the QF in 5 sets. :ras:

Dexter
Jun 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would love a new Wimbledon champion, whoever it would be even Dementiewa.
But again, it's up to WS sisters to win or lose. Serena is the favourite.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
not likely... as All of these players have a good shot at the title except maybe MOMO..... And I if Venus gets out of the early rounds i expect her to win.... I only see Sharapova losing to Venus/ Serena/ Lindsay....If Maria and Venus dont show up (mentally) i expect Serena to walk away with the title...

So no... wheres the option for just an oldie will win...

Me, I only see Sharapova losing to Venus and Serena, Davenport will never beat her in a GS anymore, she never did and never will. She can give her a tough match but Maria will win, I'm sure about that.
The BIG problem is only WS for Maria.

InsideOut.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
no, cause she wins GS beating tough players unlike others

It's not anybody's fault her own that tough players become NOT tough and lose in the early stages. Or waste match points.

I voted for Serena. Her serve alone will carry her to the latter stages. There's no Justine anymore to kick her ass.

No Justine, right. But there is still Quarterena/Errorena.

Dawson.
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM
sharapova won birmingham then wimbledon in 2004. maybe k. bonarenko wil win it..... :haha: i kid of course

i picked venus, but i dont have a clue 2bh

jamatthews
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
sharapova won birmingham then wimbledon in 2004. maybe k. bonarenko wil win it..... :haha: i kid of course

Actually, you know what, the last 2 Birmingham champions won the Mixed Doubles title. :eek:

Destiny
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Serena or Venus
Flip a coin :p

oleada
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Venus has been playing like crap all year and it's an even year. So no Wimbledon for her. :p Serena hasn't been playing as well lately either; and hasn't made it beyond the QF's of a slam in over a year. I think she'll make it to the quarters and lose there.

Davenport and Mauresmo are shadows of their former selves.

If Maria can fix some of her serving issues, I think she has the best chance out of the former champs. However, I think we'll have a new champ this year. :rocker:

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
we're already hysterical for you thinking she ever will!!!!!!:lol::help::lol:

who WILL win it.
1)maria sharapova
2)venus williams
3)serena williams