PDA

View Full Version : Why do WS play warmup events (not exhibitions) to FO & USO but not AO & Wimbledon ?

LightWarrior
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Doesn't make sense to me.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Because the warm up season for the AO and Wimbly is less than a month.:shrug: They'd rather practice against each other and spend time with family and friends. Also, there's no Tier I warm-up for either event.

Venus played an AO warm-up in 2003 I think, but Serena's VERY superstitious and hasn't been back to Sydney since she had her ankle injury in 2002. Kinda the same with Amelia Island.

I've been a HUGE proponent for them elongating the grass season and adding a Tier I event to create a larger Wimbledon build-up, but I doubt even then if they'd play it unless it was on the Road(kill)map :weirdo:

Nicolás89
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Serena played Hobart last year. ;)
Anyway, neither Serena nor Venus need warm up events for Wimbledon and AO, as they have proved, totally different with the US Open and RG, specially RG.

Infiniti2001
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Venus is superstitious about playing on her birthday which is why she won't play Eastbourne :shrug:

LightWarrior
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM
...adding a Tier I event to create a larger Wimbledon build-up, but I doubt even then if they'd play it unless it was on the Road(kill)map :weirdo:

Didn't Venus used to play Istanbul, far from being a tier I...

hankqq
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I think it's because the season is so short, they don't want to play FO, then a warmup, then Wimbledon. Too much risk there for them. If there were 2 extra weeks with a tier 1 grass event, they would probably play it.

Reuchlin
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:09 PM
They said many times that they don't like staying in Europe for too long-- and playing claycourt and grass would mean being in Europe for a couple of months.

Bitter Blue Bong
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
In addition to having such short "seasons" leading up to AO and Wimbledon, I think it's also a matter of them not wanting to change what works. Serena has won the AO three times, but only one of those times did she play an official warm-up tournament, right? And Venus has won Wimbledon four times without any warm-up. If it ain't broke...

Bitter Blue Bong
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Didn't Venus used to play Istanbul, far from being a tier I...

Istanbul is a clay court tournament.

mirzalover
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I really think Venus should play a warm up to Wimbledon. I think it would help her play better in the first week to be honest. However she has done fine without playing one :lol:

tennnisfannn
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The way Venus plays the first week of wimby, one could swear she believes that is the warm up y=tourny