PDA

View Full Version : Misinformation In Sports Journalism

kwilliams
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17062008/58/wta-tour-davenport-forced-eastbourne.html

Former Wimbledon champion Lindsay Davenport has withdrawn from the International Women's Open in Eastbourne as a result of a knee injury.

The world number 26 was scheduled to face Virginie Razzano of France in the first round, but announced her decision to forfeit the match early on Tuesday morning.

"I am very disappointed to be unable to compete here in Eastbourne, but I unfortunately injured my right knee in practice over the weekend and was unable to recover in time for today's match," Davenport said.

"I look forward to it getting better and resting and, of course, being to play next week at Wimbledon."

The 32-year-old American, who won at Eastbourne in 2001, withdrew from the French Open last month citing undisclosed personal reasons.

Davenport has enjoyed a good start to the 2008 season, winning tournaments in Auckland and Memphis to move beyond Steffi Graf as the leading all-time money winner on the WTA Tour.

In her 15-year career, she has earned in excess of $22 million and won three Grand Slams along the way - The French Open in 1996, US Open in 1997 and Wimbledon in 1999.

Will Tidey / Eurosport

Usually I just roll my eyes and try to ignore such glarin errors but according to this guy Davenport won the French Open in 1996! Why is Will Tidey (presumably) being paid to write for Eurosport. Maybe getting the US Open year wrong is somewhat excusable or maybe mixing up The Bank of the West Classic (Stanford) with the East West Bank Classic (Los Angeles) can be tolerated. However this is just stupid. Whatever seriously faulty reference material he is using is no excuse. When you actually go to write or type something like that a little red flag should go up...as in...wait a minute, Davenport - winner at Roland Garros, that can't be write. Any old fool should know that Davenport has never won at RG. A sports writer should know without a moments hesitation that it was US Open 98, Wimbledon 99, AO 00. It's not that difficult, 3 slams. It's not like she's Graf or Navratilova. All you have to do is remember three names and three years.

A while ago I was reading an article that said Venus had won Wimbledon three times, in 2000, 2001 and 2007 and I just thought to myself...how in the world could any professional sports writer not know about (or even forget) the 2005 win!!!

As I said some mistakes are excusable. Some are just idiotic and make the writer look stupid and/or lazy! I think just about any poster on here could do a ffffaaaaaaarrrr better job!

Dexter
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Lindsay, the queen of terre battue! :worship: