PDA

View Full Version : wimbledon QR1k iijima d s esperon 63 62

martin white
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
kumiko!:bounce::)nice win,good luck next round!

Rising Sun
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
1st ever win for Kumiko in a GS. Congrats! :cool:

pcrtennis
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
yay! that's got to mean something to her, my first impression of her was not good but then i saw her a second time and was actually quite impressed. hope she can win another round!

Rising Sun
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
yay! that's got to mean something to her, my first impression of her was not good but then i saw her a second time and was actually quite impressed. hope she can win another round!
May I ask where you saw her play both times? :)

-sugi-
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Kumiko :woohoo:
Really good win.

I hope this silences some of those people who have been pretty rude about Kumiko this year, saying she can't win matches out of Japan and other things. Very good win. :D

martin white
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM

i saw kumiko play qualies in melb park this year,she had a tough draw with former t0p 50 llagostera-vives,she lost easily,great win for her in a major after a horror start to 2008 8 0r 9 1strd loses,good luck next round kumiko:)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
1st ever win for Kumiko in a GS. Congrats! :cool:

Nice job! :bounce:

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Is this the same girl who has never beaten a top 100 player? :lol:

Edit: The highest ranked player she's beaten this year before this match was #285 I-Hsuan Hwang :tape:

-sugi-
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Is this the same girl who has never beaten a top 100 player? :lol:

Yes, but a lot of girls haven't beaten top 100 players.

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, but a lot of girls haven't beaten top 100 players.

I spose, but if you've been ranked in the top 200 yourself, you should of been able to beat 1 top 100 player.

It shows that she gets all her points from weak Asian challengers I spose :o

-sugi-
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I spose, but if you've been ranked in the top 200 yourself, you should of been able to beat 1 top 100 player.

It shows that she gets all her points from weak Asian challengers I spose :o
Her career high was 197, which isn't so high and there are plenty of girls in the top 200 who haven't beaten top 100 players.

And also, Kumiko rarely plays WTA events, so hasn't really had the chance to play them much.

She has beaten Fujiwara at the early stages of her comeback (former top 100 player) and Morita before she made the top 100.

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Her career high was 197, which isn't so high and there are plenty of girls in the top 200 who haven't beaten top 100 players.

And also, Kumiko rarely plays WTA events, so hasn't really had the chance to play them much.

She has beaten Fujiwara at the early stages of her comeback (former top 100 player) and Morita before she made the top 100.

I spose your right :)

Good Luck to her anyway :D

-sugi-
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Thankyou Kaz :D Good luck to your favourites at the quallies and Wimbledon. :D

StephenUK
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
No it's much worse than that - she hasn't beaten anyone in the world top 170 ever.

2008 - best win so far is over world 188 (Esperon) over world 285 (Hwang).
2007 - best win over world 200, Hisamatsu, next best Okamoto (225)
2006 - her career best win over Morita (172), next best Namigata (206)
2005 - her best win was over Viratprasert (222), next best Breadmore (319)

That is hardly what you call a stellar career - 3 wins over players ranked between 170-200 are her highlight, she just gets into the top 200 via dud Japanese ITFs with lots of points for low-ranked players like her.

She is really a one-woman argument for the return of quality points!

martin white
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
No it's much worse than that - she hasn't beaten anyone in the world top 170 ever.

That is hardly what you call a stellar career - 3 wins over players ranked between 170-200 are her highlight, she just gets into the top 200 via dud Japanese ITFs with lots of points for low-ranked players like her.

kumiko as mentined in a thread above has beaten former top100 player rika fujiwara,i wouldn't call the japanese itf's dud's at all tanasugarn, nakamura both top 100 players played trhem this year,melanie south seems to pick up alot of her points from these so called dud itf's,well done kumiko,great win,her first at gs level,good luck for the next round!leave kumiko alone im sure her bank balance is alot healhier than yours!

Rising Sun
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Those Asian Challengers are weak only on paper. There are so few events in Asia compared to somewhere like Italy (let alone Europe), that many of the players are seriously underranked, but that's another argument. ;)

Who cares if Kumiko hasn't beaten many players in the Top 200 or whatever. Considering that she achieved her highest rank of only 197 just last March, there's hardly anything wrong with that. It's not like she's been at this level (Top 250) and only beating lowly ranked players for a long time (this is just her 4th GS). :rolleyes:

Anyway, the fact is, that she beat a Top 200 player today, and that's all that matters right now. Congrats Kumiko! :yeah:

JujulCactus
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
She surpises me! :)
Congrats Kumiko !

-sugi-
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Have you actually watched Kumiko? I very much doubt you have, yet you jump to conclusions :help:
Kumiko is a really hard worker, as are a lot of the Asian girls and deserve their success, which is a reason why I follow them. At Birmingham, she and Namigata were working practicing longer than any of the other players I saw during my time there.
Kumiko is also a lovely girl and very nice so she doesn't deserve some of the bashing she gets.

Also, I have seen you talk about Kumiko several times, talking about how she is an argument to bring back quality points.

Kumiko is proving people wrong. I remember reading a post where you said that any player would want to draw her. Well it looks like Esperon didn't want to. People also seem to just judge her for losing 06 06 to Stevenson on clay. She had a bad day, was in bad form and just doesn't like clay courts. Why can't people remember her for winning 25k Gunma, or 25k Tsukuba. :o

I'm not going to waste my time anymore, but keep it up Kumiko :hug:.
Osterloh will be tough but keep it up, but go Kumiko :D

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Soledad. But Soledad on grass is probably a joke.

Boreas
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
IIjima will probably beat Osterloh. It would be a great win:D

Tripp
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sole :( Thank God the grass season is over now. Go get your ass on a clay court :p

polishprodigy
Jun 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Lucky draw for Iijima, but well done to her. This is the girl who lost to Stevenson 6-0 6-0 in Charleston qualies ....

StephenUK
Jun 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Have you actually watched Kumiko? I very much doubt you have, yet you jump to conclusions :help:
Kumiko is a really hard worker, as are a lot of the Asian girls and deserve their success, which is a reason why I follow them. At Birmingham, she and Namigata were working practicing longer than any of the other players I saw during my time there.
Kumiko is also a lovely girl and very nice so she doesn't deserve some of the bashing she gets.

Also, I have seen you talk about Kumiko several times, talking about how she is an argument to bring back quality points.

Kumiko is proving people wrong. I remember reading a post where you said that any player would want to draw her. Well it looks like Esperon didn't want to. People also seem to just judge her for losing 06 06 to Stevenson on clay. She had a bad day, was in bad form and just doesn't like clay courts. Why can't people remember her for winning 25k Gunma, or 25k Tsukuba. :o

I'm not going to waste my time anymore, but keep it up Kumiko :hug:.
Osterloh will be tough but keep it up, but go Kumiko :D

I am sorry to offend you if you know her personally and I have nothing personal against her. She's just an example of a player who can get an inflated ranking by playing easy events - since the abolition of quality points, you get no more points for beating the world no 1 or the world no 661, which must be wrong.

I stand by what I said - she's just not good enough to be playing in grand slam qualifyings. It's appalling that she got in to Wimbledon before Alexandra Stevenson, Sesil Karatantcheva or Michelle Larcher de Brito. So what if she got to the final of 25k Gunma if she beat the world ranked 464, 295, 396 and 690, in short the sort of players who you would have to beat to earn a measly 4 points as a finalist of a 10k event in Europe. No wonder ambitious players like Yanina Wickmayer have used these feeble events as a great source of cheap ranking points - she was able to move up from around 300 to 170 following her Asia-Pacific tour, and has kept on motoring since.

The same cannot be said for Iijima who barely ever wins any matches outside Japanese ITFs and whose ranking has already started to slide back out of the top 200 now she has to play some events with less cheap points on offer. The Esperon win is quite amazing, when you consider her rare matches against top 200 opposition usually end in annihilation, losses to Salerni, Llagostera Vives and Kop Jones have netted her 10 games in total; she was double bagelled by Alexandra Stevenson and won four games against Maria Fernanda Alves (neither of whom where in the top 200 at the time I should add).

If Kumiko takes advantage of a very tired Lilia Osterloh (taken to 13-11 by Voegele in her first round) and gets a career best win over a top 150 player and then beats another to qualify to Wimbledon, then she will have earned it and good luck to her, maybe she is a late developer at nearly 26 and ten years on the rankings! Then I am quite happy to come back and praise her improvement and wish her well, but it's pretty unlikely.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
IIjima will probably beat Osterloh. It would be a great win:D

We'll see! I'm setting my alarm for 7am so i can stare at the score again...lol :nerner: