PDA

View Full Version : Do you think The Brits will do well in Wimbledon? [Updated!]

jamatthews
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
No, we'll be lucky to have a player win a round.

Yarden
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Who will do well there? 0 Brits girls reached the final QR so the will be no Brits qualifiers in the main draw.
MD is out so what do you think now? Which of them have the best chance to get some wins?

Main Draw

Baltacha vs. Kerber
Zheng vs. (30)Cibulkova

Pin vs. Strycova
South vs. (28)A. Bondarenko

(24)Peer vs. O’Brien
Safarova vs. Loit

(7)V. Williams vs. Cavaday
Keothavong vs. King

Statistics from grass court season:

Anne Keothavong

Surbiton (50K): lost in the final to Erakovic.
Birmingham: lost in R1 to K. Bondarenko.
Rosmalen: lost in R1 to Errani.

2008 Singles Record: 30-17
Best result in Wimbledon: R2 in 2004 lost to Sharapova.

Katie O'Brien

Surbiton (50K): lost in R2 to C. Gullickson.
Birmingham: lost in R2 to Shvedova.
Eastbourne: lost in R1 to Stosur.

2008 Singles Record: 13-17
Best result in Wimbledon: R2 in 2007 lost to Krajicek.

Melanie South

Surbiton (50K): lost in R2 to Kulikova.
Birmingham: lost in the QF to Wickmayer (def. Bammer and Nakamura).
Eastbourne: lost in R1 to Kleybanova.

2008 Singles Record: 29-17
Best result in Wimbledon: R2 in 2006 lost to Perry (def. Schiavone in 3).

Elena Baltacha

Surbiton (50K): lost in R2 to Tanasugarn.
Birmingham: lost in R1 to Makarova.
Eastbourne: lost in QR2 to Pironkova.

2008 Singles Record: 18-10
Best result in Wimbledon: R3 in 2002 lost to Likhovtseva (def. Coetzer in 3).

Naomi Cavaday

Surbiton (50K): lost in R1 to Erakovic.
Birmingham: lost in R2 to Rao (def. Craybas in 2).
Eastbourne: lost in QR1 to Baltacha.

2008 Singles Record: 17-11
Best result in Wimbledon: R1 in 2006/2007 lost to Sugiyama and Hingis (in 07' won a set against Hingis).

Dawson.
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM
if anyone was to win a match, it will be south - but it all depends on the draw of course. if keothavong cant beat errani on grass, well thats says it all for her im affraid.

lets just hope south draws bammer in round 1 then nakamura in round 2! :lol:

Monica_Rules
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM
The two players who are most likley to do very well, i'e win a few rounds are Mel South and Naomi Cavaday. Naomi is not in great form or fitness BUT she is the most talented out of the top 5 brits.

It all depends on the draw of course.

Based on qualifying, it doesn't look good.

vadin124
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
as is the case with every year, most brits will bow out first round...one might get a ridiculously easy first round opponent and reach the second round, only to be pummeled by one of the seeds

however, Keothavong stands a good chance of making the semi's or even the final

Oswald56
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
If you're lucky you'll get a couple into the second round so the press can hype them beyond belief and then announce the death of British tennis when they all plummet soon after.

Dawson.
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
as is the case with every year, most brits will bow out first round...one might get a ridiculously easy first round opponent and reach the second round, only to be pummeled by one of the seeds

however, Keothavong stands a good chance of making the semi's or even the final

:spit:

Monica_Rules
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Come on Anne is gonna win the whole thing :rolleyes:

Tipp
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Only way a Brit is getting to the second round is if two of them are drawn against each other in the first.

Slutiana
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I know Anne lost to Errani, but playing at home in a massive stadium is completely different. Anne and Mel can both make it through. Anne has had tough draws in the past (JJ 07, Sprem 06) hope she can get a good draw here. :)

RenaSlam.
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hell no.

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM

i feel the same, though anne could with a decent draw but i dont hold out much hope for any of the other girls!

thrust
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Awful, as usual! It is amazing that Britian once a major tennis force, has only one decent male player an no decent female players. The USA could be in the same situation on the female side, once the Williams retire. The male situation isn^t much better concerning players under 25.

hankqq
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I really don't understand why the Brits have 0 top female players. They've got the facilities, and the money to ship someone out to Miami/Barcelona if desired. Why is Andy Murray the only good singles player from Great Britain?

Anyway, I think at least someone will reach the rd.64. It's doubtful that anyone will reach rd.32.

FORZA SARITA
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Go Naomi:)

Avid Merrion
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM
it's Wimbledon, and no.

markdelaney
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Awful, as usual! It is amazing that Britain once a major tennis force, has only one decent male player an no decent female players..

This has actually been the case for the last 12 years (forgetting Canadian Imports).

It will depend on the draw as to whether any of them win a match. Anne has had easier first round matches and lost them as well, e.g. Mariana Diaz-Oliva and Janet Lee. I'd be amazed if any can reach round 3. Most of them would lose to qualifiers.

Maybe a British woman needs to draw Vaidisova ?

young_gunner913
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think British hope lays on Melanie South and Anna Keothavong. Round 2 for both of them, but I don't see a Brit in the 3rd round. :shrug:

Shepster
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Anne sucks at Wimbledon so I can't see it being her, Katie has the percentage game to mean if she gets a qualifier or someone below 80-ish she can compete, Mel has the attacking option of beating people when her game is on, Naomi is screwed if the match goes any extended period of time and Elena is formless.

Given opponents from the bottom third of the rankings involved, Katie and Mel have a fair shot of getting through. They all bar Katie got horrible draws last year though so hopefully it will be kinder to them this year.

Nemo_Kool
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
i think mel has a shot...i think shes got game its just consistency holding her back really, esp. on grass...her grunt is horrendous though!!!...i think with good draws 2 or 3 could make it to the 2nd round and then who knows?!?

esquímaux
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Camilla :hearts:

Europe rocks
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Depends how you define 'doing well' - if you look at last year, despite only one girl and one guy reaching the 2nd round, none of the guys who lost in the first round won a set; Naomi had a matchpoint and Bally took Srebotnik to three as well.
Totally depends on the draw and if the girls keep their heads

jazar
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM
the only way we will see a british player in the second round is if 2 of them are drawn against each other in the first round

Tripp
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I still remember when Mariana beat Keothavong in Wimbledon 1st round :haha:. Trust me, losing to Díaz-Oliva in grass is really, really bad :help: I mean I loved her, but that was just not her surface, and she used to say that herself.

I believe Cavaday, South and maybe Baltacha are capable of putting up a decent performance against any top 100 player, and why not even win the match. But it'll depend on how lucky they get with their draws.

It's really sad, though. I've been rooting for british tennis for I don't know how many years. I kind of feel sorry for those girls. They've been trying and trying and they just can't make it. Borwell lost in 3 tight sets to Shvedova, who is really good on grass. That's so sad, because all of us who read her blog know how hard she works and how bad she wants to make it in the Tour.

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
there will be a british woman in the final, its just a shame she will be a lineperson lol.

drake3781
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
the only way we will see a british player in the second round is if 2 of them are drawn against each other in the first round

:lol:

Seriously, the question asked is will a Brit do well, but all the answers are "make it to R2". :confused: Anybody can win one match - depends on so many factors. I can't even answer the poll because it depends on draw, for one thing - to get to R2 the Brit has to win one match. :shrug:

I would think you would have to make it to at least R3 to be considered as doing well. :shrug:

drake3781
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
there will be a british woman in the final, its just a shame she will be a lineperson lol.

:lol:

sharapovarulz1
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hopefully they all make it to R2 and maybe Katie or Melanie go further that would be great :D

Mforensic
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Bally has the made the third round of 2 majors and has one of the fastest serves. If her back stays healthy and her serve is on...I see her surviving a first round match.

slamchamp
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
lol of course no, their players are all jokes:shrug:

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:22 AM
if you look at last year, despite only one girl and one guy reaching the 2nd round, none of the guys who lost in the first round won a set; Naomi had a matchpoint and Bally took Srebotnik to three as well.
Totally depends on the draw and if the girls keep their heads
Mmm, also the draw last year was terrible :

Elena got Srebotnik (22) and lost in 3 sets,
Anne got Jankovic (3) and lost in about 20 minutes :lol:,
Naomi got Hingis (11) and lost in 3 sets,
Katie got Kloesel (104) and won in straight sets before getting blitzed by a red-hot Misa in 2R and
Mel got Sugiyama (27) and lost in 2.

So with 4/5 getting seeded players and Katie losing to a seed in 2R, there really was very little they could do. Only way any of them realistically draws a seed and gets through at the moment is if their prayers are answered and they get Vaidisova :tape:.

wtatourfan
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
honestly, I don´t think they will do well, like usual!

Dor Y
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Keothavon, Mel and Naomi will win in the first round if they get good draw..

The Kaz
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Mmm, also the draw last year was terrible :

Elena got Srebotnik (22) and lost in 3 sets,
Anne got Jankovic (3) and lost in about 20 minutes :lol:,
Naomi got Hingis (11) and lost in 3 sets,
Katie got Kloesel (104) and won in straight sets before getting blitzed by a red-hot Misa in 2R and
Mel got Sugiyama (27) and lost in 2.

So with 4/5 getting seeded players and Katie losing to a seed in 2R, there really was very little they could do. Only way any of them realistically draws a seed and gets through at the moment is if their prayers are answered and they get Vaidisova :tape:.

Bammer?

Pasta-Na
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM
i expect 2 of them will reach R2.

Pasta-Na
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Bammer?

bammer is tough :p

flyingmachine
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
:tape:

PamShriver
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Boy, British women are doing the best they have in years and all they get are these negative comments. Keothavong is in the top 100, South just made the quarters at a Tier III, Baltacha has the most potential of all but has a chronic health condition which inhibits her progress; and it seems that Cavaday would be the real thing once/if she decides to tackle her fitness issues. Amanda Elliot also seems to be coming on quite fast.
I think that people need to get real and appreciate what the girls are doing, especially Anne, finally reaching the top 100, a place she (and Baltacha) would've reached years ago had it not been for injury. Granted grass isn't Anne's surface, but I think that makes her accomplishment all the more impressive, she has attained her ranking without the home surface or home crowd advantage.

StephenUK
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I've got this feeling that they will be disappointing after last year, though it really depends on the draws.

Anne Keothavong and Katie O'Brien seem to have gone off the boil just at the wrong time; South, Cavaday and Baltacha could win a round or even two. Either they get sympathetic opponents eg Catalina Castano, Yvonne Meusberger or some inspiration from the crowd to beat a struggling better player - I can see Vaidisova, Schnyder, Medina Garrigues, Kirilenko and Schiavone falling into that category. The fact that the Britgirls have lost to players without any Wimbledon record recently - Errani, Kleybanova, Sunitha Rao etc, indicates that they are pretty vulnerable, and it is easier to surprise players in their first tournament on grass than when they are more grooved at Wimbledon.

As for the qualifying, there have been some disappointing results - Broady and Stoop lost badly, Fitzpatrick losing was no surprise, Liz Thomas's loss was logical, though Borwell and especially Tara Moore did much better. Anna Smith did brilliantly to come back to beat Julie Coin, but I would expect her to bow out vs Zuzana Ondraskova, who has too much all-round know-how and presumably is playing pretty well to have trounced Ayumi Morita. The best hope is Amanda Elliott, who has had some promising results, but I still see her losing to the far more experienced Jelena Kostanic Tosic in q2.

Yarden
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
0 Brits girls reached the final QR so the will be no Brits qualifiers in the main draw. MD is out so what do you think now? Which of them have the best chance to get some wins?

I think that if South beats Alona she can win her 2nd round as well. Keothavong has the best chance to make it into the 2nd round but then she will lost to Venus. Cavaday and Baltacha have bad draw and I can't see them win. If Peer will continue to play bad, I can see O’Brien beat her.

Main Draw

Baltacha vs. Kerber
Zheng vs. (30)Cibulkova

Pin vs. Strycova
South vs. (28)A. Bondarenko

(24)Peer vs. O’Brien
Safarova vs. Loit

(7)V. Williams vs. Cavaday
Keothavong vs. King

Dawson.
Jun 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
if Katie cant beat peer in the kind of form she is in, there is something wrong!
i think baltacha's draw is actually quite good. kerber is a little inconsistant
Keothavong has a good chance to reach round 2, although vania is tough. could see it going either way
Cavaday doesnt stand a chance, byt at least she can show the world just how talented she is (playing on centre)
Bondarenko is a strange one. i didnt expect her to lose in RG R1, nor did i expect the score line! (6-3 6-0). she also has a really bad loss to tanasugarn in ordina today, so who knows....

scottsue
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
I reckon the best chance here is for Keothavong to beat Vania King.

Ballbasher
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
I can't see Anne beating Vania :shrug: Vania is quite solid on grass!

Shepster
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM
I can't see Anne beating Vania :shrug: Vania is quite solid on grass!
I agree, added to that Anne's awful record on grass I can't see it either. Mel and Katie have okay chances, they're good seeds to play if you *have* to have a seed, Elena obviously has the best draw but she's not in any kind of form, still I'd expect her and maybe one of Katie & Mel in the next round.

3Dcool
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
You wish it would be O'brien, that would mean Peer is out in R1.

NO GOD DAMN WAY!

Shepster
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
Wouldn't that be playing to form? :lol:

Seriously though, if Benesova, Kvitova, Lisicki, Stosur (on clay!) and Llagostera Vives can do over Shahar then Katie has every chance in the world.

serenus_2k8
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
:lol: How unfortunate for Anne and Naomi to be plonked right by the defending champ. Fortunately it means that Venus should have an easy couple of matches :lol:

3Dcool
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't that be playing to form? :lol:

Seriously though, if Benesova, Kvitova, Lisicki, Stosur (on clay!) and Llagostera Vives can do over Shahar then Katie has every chance in the world.

You will agree that Shahar is a much better player than each of these ones.
She is in a bad period which can be ended by every tournament (:
Let us wait and see..;)

Shepster
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
You will agree that Shahar is a much better player than each of these ones.
She is in a bad period which can be ended by every tournament (:
Let us wait and see..;)
Oh of course, usually you'd look and think a player like Katie wouldn't have any chance at all against a seeded opponent. If you had to get a seed though the people like Nicole, Bammer, Shahar, etc. would be the ones you want though on form, or Sania or Daniela for lack of play and returning from injury, so it's a draw at this moment in time she should relish.

I actually think Mel would normally stand a better chance of going through than Katie as she has the attacking game that can beat "better" players, whereas Katie is much more a percentage player. I do think it would be a shock if both got through even with this current draw. Katie's game does match up very well with someone out of form though (see her taking a set off Hantuchova at an exhibition this week), she's not going to take many risks and will give Shahar every chance to "lose" the match. If Peer plays anything like the way she can though Katie won't be much competition for her.

Dor Y
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM

NO GOD DAMN WAY!

You really think Shahar will win in this form? I don't think so.
She is not good on grass while O'brien is (I think)..
As much as I love her, she will lose :sad:

Declan
Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I think Baltacha will shine.Her losses to Tanasugarn at Surbiton and Makaraova at Birmingham were against players who subsequently proved they were really on form, and she retired against Pironkova at Eastbourne... She, when she is injury-free, is the best Brit when all is working, and she has had a good year to date. She has a kind draw here, too.

3Dcool
Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
You really think Shahar will win in this form? I don't think so.
She is not good on grass while O'brien is (I think)..
As much as I love her, she will lose :sad:

With the way you support her, I wouldn't be glad to be Shahar =\

Europe rocks
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm more upset about the fact that Ai hasn't drawn a GB girl in the first round :sad: 4 times in the last 5 years and the one time she didn't get a GB girls she lost her opening match!

3Dcool
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm more upset about the fact that Ai hasn't drawn a GB girl in the first round :sad: 4 times in the last 5 years and the one time she didn't get a GB girls she lost her opening match!

I hate when people involve sports with statistics.. Its not such a big deal =\ Just went like that.
Its like your wife got pregnant 5 times and it was a girl, does that mean that the 6th will be also a girl? =\

Dor Y
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
With the way you support her, I wouldn't be glad to be Shahar =\

Well, in my opinion everyone has his own kind of support. I was just realistic and I'm still, unfortunately we will see the result tomorrow, shahar will lose :sad: Grass is not her surface and after Wimbledon I thnik she will get out of this slump ;)

Dor Y
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
I hate when people involve sports with statistics.. Its not such a big deal =\ Just went like that.
Its like your wife got pregnant 5 times and it was a girl, does that mean that the 6th will be also a girl? =\

You mentioned wrong example, I don't really agree with you, I will try to give good example and then I hope you will understand this point.