PDA

View Full Version : s'Hertogenbosch 1R: (2) Anna Chakvetadze def. (Q) Angelique Kerber 6-3 3-6 7-6(1)

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Angel...so close :awww:

smokovec
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I see the final tie-break on streaming, with 4 nice winners by Anna.

So, she plays much worse in the rest of the Match, I presume, but a win is a win.

G&R
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
anna wasted a match point on 5-3...but she closed it out....now alona....

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM
phew, you got the 'w' anna but eeek at failing to serve it out and the scoreline. hope your form improves! to think she won this event last year beating vika, dani h and jankovic and now shes struggling to win her 1st match against kerber, how things change in a year!

penkku
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Anna :) slow starter as always, this match was good practice, hope she gets it together by the end of the week, 3 aces/dfs and winning on 2nd serve 62% today ;)
BTW 2nd round :)

wateva
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
wins are precious these days for anna... :(

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
She almost let that slip away

Renalicious
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Omg Anna. :lol: Close one.

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Rather close to a 1st round exit Anna :unsure:

Don't worry, she'll lose next round :p

Pink Princess
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Anna:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap: Win the Title!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Anna :yeah: :) PHEW
she'll win her next match :p

Elwin.
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Anna :spit:

Minotaur
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Poor Anna. I guess we need this year to be finished to get her back. She can play so lovely tennis but something is terribly wrong with her for a long time

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Her year isn't over. She can beat Alona and defend her title here.

Minotaur
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Her year isn't over. She can beat Alona and defend her title here.

Are you joking? Anna still has only one lovely moment this season and it's Paris. Other things are so bad that must be forgotten

-NAJ-
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Is Carlos Rodriguez her full time coach ?

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
well its her 4th qtr final this year so thats something, oh and they have come on 4 different surfaces lol.

DaMatz
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
oh Angie, so close :sad: :hug:, but nice fight

hope she is able to play in Wimbledon this way, too :)

Kworb
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Convincing win for the beautiful Chakvetadze

RenaSlam.
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
:wavey: in the next round.

Dawson.
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
dam it! so close to another embarrassing defeat, that would have made my birthday even more special!

Vincey!
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
finally a win for Anna :awww:

matthias
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
wasted opportunity

zveeen
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Angie :sad:

shrOOf
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
:o :sad: Angie.

Highlandman
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
:o :o So close :awww:

Would have been great if she could have beaten a player like that finally (again).

Wintermute
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I bet Angie's sick of playing Anna on grass. Sounds like Anna should have closed this one out a bit sooner but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt: she's not played in a couple of weeks and it's her first match on grass.

Some interesting stats:
Anna's win-loss record for the year (including Fed Cup): 17-11

Of the 28 matches she's played, 15 were three-setters! That's more than half.

Anna's win-loss record in three set matches this year: 10-5

Anna needs to rediscover her form so she's putting away the lower-ranked players she should be beating easily in straight sets. She's spending an awfully long time on court struggling in these three-setters.

PLP
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I bet Angie's sick of playing Anna on grass. Sounds like Anna should have closed this one out a bit sooner but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt: she's not played in a couple of weeks and it's her first match on grass.

Some interesting stats:

Anna needs to rediscover her form so she's putting away the lower-ranked players she should be beating easily in straight sets. She's spending an awfully long time on court struggling in these three-setters.

Yeah, the amount of energy it's taking her to get through the early rds is definitely hurting her. And, how many TB's has she played this year? Get your head (and game) together Anna!
She is capable of so much more. Hopefully she can win this and have some confidence going into Wimbledon!

Come on ANNA!!!
:bounce:

jbeacinu
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
:help:oh my anna :rolleyes:

Shepster
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Saw from 5-3 in the third on Eurosport. It was all on Anna's racket and in the tie break she was absolutely superb. Commentator said she took an hour longer than she should have.

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Some interesting stats:

i think looking at her results and scores this year it shows her confidence is very brittle, she can lose confidence so easily at the moment and it can cost her 3 or 4 games. also she has stopped focusing on holding her serve enough, she breaks so often that if she put more concentration into holding she would be winning sets 6-2 or better more.

this year was always going to be tough for anna as its her sophmore year, but i hold out hope that shes won and fought to win a lot of 3 setters this year which tells me the fight is still there.

i think she should beat alona tomorrow though i think it will be a struggle again.

*Jean*
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Angie :sad: Great fight though!

Blu€
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Angelique :fiery::mad:

darkangel23
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Anna :yeah:

Sorry Angie :hug:

Carsten
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Angie :sad: so close...

JujulCactus
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
It's so difficult for Chakvetadze to win a match this year :o
But a win is a win :rolleyes:
Good luck for your next round ;)

Vespertine69
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hmm, doesn't look like such a bad match for Anna, given how shaky she has been for most of the season.

If you check her serving stats (3 aces, 3 DF's, 52% first serves in, 69% won on first serve, 62% on second) they are actually very respectable, although that serves in % could definitely improve. I wish I had seen this match to be sure, but the stats don't read like the sort of horrorshow she's been turning in for most of the year. It reads as if Kerber served very solidly all match and Anna just had to work hard for the victory. Did anyone see the whole match? Would love to hear how it actually played out. Grass is a welcome change for Anna at any rate... moving from her worst surface to a surface she really likes should help to settle her... at least I hope so, it's been very hard to watch her looking so lost on court.

V.

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hmm, doesn't look like such a bad match for Anna, given how shaky she has been for most of the season. If you check her serving stats (3 aces, 3 DF's, 52% first serves in, 69% won on first serve, 62% on second) they are actually very respectable, although that serves in % could definitely improve. I wish I had seen this match to be sure, but the stats don't read like the sort of horrorshow she's been turning in for most of the year. It reads as if Kerber served very solidly all match and Anna just had to work hard for the victory. Did anyone see the whole match? Would love to hear how it actually played out. Grass is a welcome change for Anna at any rate... moving from her worst surface to a surface she really likes should help to settle her... at least I hope so!

nice 1st post and welcome! ;)

Vespertine69
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
nice 1st post and welcome! ;)

Thanks! I have lurked on this board for a while, but figured I'd sign up. Welcome appreciated :)

V.

esquímaux
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Alright Chaky, you can let the Carebear take you to 3 sets if you want to :o

frenchie
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Saw from 5-3 in the third on Eurosport. It was all on Anna's racket and in the tie break she was absolutely superb. Commentator said she took an hour longer than she should have.

this match was on ES:eek:

they only show mens match usually
and this is only a tier 3:eek:

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM
this match was on ES:eek:

they only show mens match usually
and this is only a tier 3:eek:
They do, but because Anna hadn't finished by the "not before..." time Eurosport were scheduled to show the Ancic match, they just showed the end of Chak/Kerber, took a 10 minute news bulletin then went back for the men's match.

wtatourfan
Jun 18th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Go Chakvetadze!!

Il Primo!
Jun 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Why are russians such HEADCASES!! We had Nastya, Petrova (I love them both though), WorthlessSveta, old school Safina,/Zvony and now Chokevetadze!?

I mean, get it together for the name of God :o

kris719
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Why are russians such HEADCASES!! We had Nastya, Petrova (I love them both though), WorthlessSveta, old school Safina,/Zvony and now Chokevetadze!?

I mean, get it together for the name of God :o

Do I spy some jealousy?