PDA

View Full Version : Maria Kirilenko: 15-3 on clay/1-6 on Hard or Grass!

only_one_maria
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Quite a remarkable statistic. This is since her career best 4th round in Australia.

Maria practices on clay in Spain and has played as many clay court tournaments as she can. Her coach believes this is the best way to learn. Is he right? Maria is certainly becoming a better clay courter, but what about other surfaces. I'm worried she won't be prepared for the US Hard Court season and could well fail to defend her points. But is there some sort of longer term strategy here?

Maybe, but Maria is already 21 and it can be a very short career. I hope they've got it right.

Natalicious
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
i guess we know her fav. surface then :shrug: ;)

kittyking
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Could it possibly be because her game is far more suited to Claycourts than Grass or Hardcourts ;)

sunsfuns
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Could it possibly be because her game is far more suited to Claycourts than Grass or Hardcourts ;)

Hard is her best surface. Until recently her results on clay were very weak. They still are on grass...

only_one_maria
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I believe clay is her weakest surface. She has always been strongest on Hard Courts and she has the game to do well on grass. Clay is not her surface, but her coach insists she practices on it. For now.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It means nothing. Maria did nothing at the FO.
She's very capable of a good run at Wimbledon or a round 1 loss

Adal
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Impressive on clay ;)

Slutiana
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Look at the tiers of those tournaments. ;) She's playing well against the lower people but the higher players?...

only_one_maria
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Look at the tiers of those tournaments. ;) She's playing well against the lower people but the higher players?...

That's true to an extent. But if you look at her results she's been beating lower ranked players on clay but not on hard courts. I just believe she is out of practice on harder courts.

Natash.
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Her coach is probably trying to help her use all of the shots in her arsenal. Even since practicing on clay, she's been using her slice and it's been effective. It's definitely for the long term.

She was injured during some of the hardcourt tournaments.

only_one_maria
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
What injury was that?

Natash.
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
What injury was that?

Can't remember. But she was extremely bothered by an injury during her match against Bondarenko. Could barely move.

EDIT: Probably not injured. It seemed more like Maria's usual inconsistency.

King Aaron
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
She has been hopeless on grass in the past. :shrug: I hope that changes though, she has a game that should do well on grass.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I believe clay is her weakest surface. She has always been strongest on Hard Courts and she has the game to do well on grass. Clay is not her surface, but her coach insists she practices on it. For now.

She doesn't have the game to do well on grass. Her groundstrokes are too soft for the surface.