PDA

View Full Version : Michaella Krajicek blogging from 's-Hertogenbosch

Elwin.
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Misa :hearts:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2343

Sunday Blog
's-HERTOGENBOSCH, The Netherlands - Michaella Krajicek has come full circle since she first blogged for us 12 months ago. A week after we last heard from her she had a breakthrough fortnight at Wimbledon, reaching her first Grand Slam quarterfinal, and eventually cracked the Top 30; she suffered a left wrist injury during the off-season and had a difficult start to 2008, but last week in Birmingham she snapped out of a losing streak, and now she returns to the site of her biggest triumph and brings us all along in the latest player blog.

-----

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hello again everyone!! It's been a while...

There really is a lot to catch up on since last year. Of course, after I last blogged I had a really good Wimbledon and a couple of solid results. I definitely hoped for more in that time, however. What was really disappointing was that I injured my wrist while practicing in December, and that threw me off for a while. It was a good three or four months before I could really start practicing well again, and it took much longer for me to get my game back to where it was. But I have been working hard, and last week in Birmingham it definitely started to pay off. I was so happy to get my first win of the season there! And I'm hoping to do well here this week, and just keep improving.

It's really tough to stay positive when you're injured. I really took a dip in my game and my confidence on the court. I think I managed to stay optimistic though. The wrist was pretty bad at first; I hit a ball late in practice and it was pretty irritated and swollen, and didn't fully heal for a few months. It's one of the most sensitive spots for a tennis player because a lot of things can damage it, even just playing too much. I have had to get my arms stronger in the time since and it hasn't hurt at all recently, so I'm just looking forward right now. These experiences make you stronger, not just on the court but off of it as well :)

I'm very happy to be back on grass! It suits my game. I like short points, I like going for it. Grass is perfect for that. And I've changed my service motion a bit in the last few weeks, which I hope will help me.

I got to 's-Hertogenbosch on Friday night and watched some of the soccer, which was so cool - Holland is playing unbelievably well! We were at my brother's house and his kids were all dressed up in orange, it was amazing. Then I did some laundry from Birmingham... We drove to the tournament on Saturday for my first practice and today I practiced twice more, once with my brother Richard and once with other hitting partners. I'm happy my brother is here, he obviously has lots of experience and knows this surface well. His former coach is also helping.

I have my first match on Monday against Ai Sugiyama. I've never played her in singles but have played her a few times in doubles. She has been around a long time! You see it in the programs at tournaments how long she has been playing at this level and how successful she has been, it's very impressive. She probably likes grass too because she has a good return and hits the ball pretty flat; I'm just going to try to serve well and hopefully I can make it difficult for her!

I'm also playing doubles this week with Marina Erakovic. We've played together before, and even won the US Open in the juniors. I transitioned from juniors to the Tour earlier than she did and so we didn't see each other for about two years, but now she's been playing on the Tour and has been doing really, really well this year, and so I'm hoping we'll join forces again more regularly! We lost first round at the French Open so I'm hoping we can rebound here, and also at Wimbledon. We're both very aggressive players and I think that's why we're better on faster courts. We love just going for it. I think we're a pretty strong team :)

Of course, when you're playing in your home country, you're kept very busy by the media. I did some interviews today and one of them was something different, for "De Telegraaf". They interviewed me through a camera and it was over 30 minutes of questions, mainly from fans. I also spoke to Studio Sport, the biggest sports channel here. I went to visit the Ordina sponsor village (Ordina is the title sponsor of the tournament) and had an interview with Stanley Franker, the former Davis Cup coach (I think he was also a coach for the Tennis Federation). I signed lots and lots of autographs today too (I've attached a picture)... Tonight I had a nice dinner in the hotel with a few of the Dutch girls; they're hoping to play more on the Tour now, which would be nice, because I like the company! Although they both lost today, they've been playing pretty well, so I don't think it'll be long until they do. It was a nice ending to the day.

Well that's about it for today! Until tomorrow...

Misa

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
:hearts:

IMPOSSIBLE
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
:)

Tennisballova
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
She's sweet :kiss:.

Elwin.
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Monday Blog
Well today was a long match, that's for sure! I'm happy to say I was able to beat Ai Sugiyama, but it was a tough fight. I thought I played really, really well until I was up a set and 4-2. I had an unbelievable amount of break chances there and didn't take them, got a bit negative on myself and she started playing better and better. She won that set and was up 5-2 in the third, but I kept mentally strong and won it in a tie-break. She has lots of experience and is a great grass court player, so this was a really good win for me. And when I was down a match point serving 4-5, I hit three aces in a row - which felt great. At that point I was so angry with myself and just forced myself to go for it, and it worked! Of course I don't want to play out of anger all the time but it definitely gives me confidence that when I focus, I can survive out there.

Although the match was pretty long I really needed to loosen up, so I went out and hit for about 15 minutes afterwards. My brother Richard and his coach, Rohan Goetzka, who worked with him almost his whole career, were also there today, which is great. After that I did a lot of press, maybe an hour or so... Other than that I watched some of the tennis and unfortunately my fellow Dutch players Haase and Verkerk lost! It was a pity. I thought they played well, though.

Someone you may see me with this week is my new dog... he's so funny. He's a chihuahua :) I adpoted him when I was in Amelia Island, from Animals In Need USA. Actually, his back story is really sad. His former owner broke his front legs on purpose and left him in the trash... but he was still alive, and when they found him he needed eight months of rehabilitation... and he's doing really well now. I actually saw him the first day he was up for adoption, and I had to get him. He is very special. His old name was Rudy, but I've renamed him Zorro! I think it's a nice name. He's a little guy but he's pretty strong, just like the character Zorro... well maybe not physically strong, maybe he can't really protect me by attacking anyone... but he does bark really loudly! I never thought I would get a chihuahua but I couldn't pass him up, and he travels with me about half the time I'm away from home. He is very good company! Of course, he's with me a lot this week.

Tomorrow I have my first doubles match of the week with Marina. It's a day off from singles but we're definitely hoping to make a run in doubles this week.

Time for some questions, then I'll talk to you all again tomorrow...

Good night!

Misa

What is your favorite Grand Slam? - Brian, England
Wimbledon. Definitely. I love everything about the tournament. I also love everything about England. It's not far from here and I love English accents. And whereas some people don't enjoy the weather I'm completely fine with it, because it's pretty much the same as it is here in Holland!

What languages do you speak? Simon, Belgium
I speak Dutch, Czech and English. Depending on who I'm with I speak either Dutch or Czech mostly. Like when I'm with my family I speak Czech because most of them are Czech, but with Richard and his kids I speak Dutch, because they speak Dutch to their kids. And of course I speak a lot of English on the Tour.

What is your best memory so far, in tennis or life? - Anne, USA
I would say jumping off a tower when I was in Auckland... sort of like bungee jumping except you're tied from your back, so it feels much more like falling. It's scarier than bungee jumping! The tower is 192 meters high. It's the craziest thing I've ever done for sure, and probably the most memorable. Actually, they didn't have enough people wanting to do it (I'm not surprised!) so I got to go a second time for free. It was such an unbelievable, scary feeling!!

Elwin.
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I love the dog story :awww:

Destiny
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
:awww:
:hug:

Kworb
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Wow she is a great blogger :)

Erakovic
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Misa jumped off the Auckland Sky Tower!

NZ tennis fan
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Misa jumped off the Auckland Sky Tower!

I like her even more after hearing that :)

Lyndle_BE
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Love the heart-wrenching story about her new companion Zorro :angel:

Hope to hear that this is the start of a season turn-around.

mal
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Love the heart-wrenching story about her new companion Zorro :angel:

Hope to hear that this is the start of a season turn-around.

The other big news is that the Queen had her grandson William made a Knight of the Garter.
(Inside scoop means they have actually been physically intimate, if you get my drift.)

Elwin.
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Although today was a day off from singles, I definitely kept busy :) Marina and I had our first round doubles match and played really solid. The match looks pretty quick from the score but we had to play really well to earn that score. And we hadn't seen our opponents before, which is pretty rare, considering we've both been around for a few years now! I'm feeling really good about how we're playing as a team, and looking forward to the rest of our matches this week.

Our doubles match was pretty late on the schedule so I had lots of time during the day. In the morning I did some fitness, had a hit with Marina, had a short massage and watched some of the matches. It's important for me to stay in as good shape as possible, because I have had some injuries in the past and I definitely don't want to go through that again. I also met Charles van Commenee, the chief of the Dutch Olympic Committee, which was really cool. I qualified for the Dutch Olympic Team last week, which is a huge honor, and it will probably be the most memorable moment of my tennis career when I go to Beijing.

Tomorrow I have my second round singles against Sania Mirza, as well as our second doubles match against two Dutch girls, which will be fun :) And I know Mirza pretty well from the juniors and the last few years, so no surprises there.

I'm just about to leave to go to the player party. I love the player party at this tournament, and I hope there will be great food like always. Last year there was a lot of dancing too, which will be fun, but I have to take it easy considering I've got a big day coming up. I'll tell you about it all tomorrow!

Misa

Tennisballova
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanx for posting, Elwin :yeah: .

I'm curious to see the player's party pics :D.

nniels
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Me too :)

No questions this time?

Kworb
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Which would you prefer, winning a Grand Slam or becoming No.1? - Art, The Netherlands
From the time I was young, I always wanted to win a Grand Slam. Wimbledon was my favorite but any Grand Slam is obviously a huge accomplishment. But No.1 would also be great. I'd say becoming No.1 is No.2 to winning a Grand Slam.

Who are your best friends on the WTA and ATP? - Helen, Belgium
I know all of the Dutch players so well, I would have to say them, both on the women's and men's tours. But since not a lot of the Dutch girls go to a lot of the tournaments I go to, I'm pretty good friends with some of the Czech players.

Besides Holland and Czech Republic, where else would you live? - James
There are two places. Either England - probably London - or New York City. There's always something going on in NYC. There are fancy places like Soho where you can just escape, and not just there obviously. It seems like there's always something big happening somewhere in the city. It's a great place to be, especially for young people.

Elwin.
Jun 19th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's a little late here... it has been such a long day!

I played both singles and doubles today, and I'm really happy to report I won both. My singles match with Sania Mirza went really well. I could tell she was a bit off her rhythm, as this is still just her second tournament back after being off the Tour with a wrist injury, but I felt like I was playing really solid. It was pretty windy, which was strange because the first few days here haven't been windy at all, but I still served well, was steady from the baseline and broke her when I got my chances. Marina and I had our doubles match against my two fellow Dutch players as well. We were having lots of fun out there. We were very solid and aggressive and it went pretty quickly towards the end.

I'm really happy with how things are working out this week. I don't feel I'm at my best just yet, but I'm definitely playing better and better each match I play, and I hope to keep going. Tomorrow in the quarters I play Tanasugarn, a little bit of a surprise because she wasn't the seed in that section, but a tough player anyway. I've never played her but she has been playing for a while now, and we'll just have to see how it goes! I'm just taking it match by match - it's hard not to, especially after the start I had to the season. But I'm just excited to be winning matches again, and hopefully I can go one round further.

Even though I played two matches today I don't feel physically tired, but I do feel mentally tired right now. Although I had plenty of down time in between matches, I did plenty of interviews and media things after it was all done, and my dad also came into town today, so I caught up with him for a while... I also met some more Dutch players and former coaches. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice sleep tonight. My dog has been barking a lot in the last little while though! He's way more energetic than I am right now. But he is quietening down and I think it's maybe time to wind down with a few questions then head to bed... oh and I've attached a picture of me and my dog, Zorro :)

Until tomorrow,

Michaella

How do you pass the time during a rain delay? - Lindsay, USA
Good question for today, because I did have a lot of down time in between matches today. I usually have a book with me, usually a biography, a motivational book, a comedy or a romance... I read a lot of different types of book. I like listening to music too. Just finding a quiet corner to relax in. Or, if I have people with me, I spend time with them.

What kind of music do you listen to? - Jenah
I love pop, R&B and lots of different types of music. The only ones I don't like are heavy metal, classical and country. Otherwise I like everything, from rap to trance. I've been to one concert - 50 Cent! He came to Prague last December and it was unbelievable. It was SO LOUD. Five hours after I left my head was still pounding. I wasn't even in the front row, I was pretty close, so I can't even imagine what it would be like in the very front.

Who are your favorite men's and women's players? - Oleg, Moscow
I always loved watching Serena. So on the women's side, I have to say Serena. There are definitely some cute guys playing too... like when I watch men's tennis, I'm not always watching it for the tennis ;) I've always been a fan of Andy Roddick - he has the game and the looks - the whole package! When he won the US Open I was really happy for him. And James Blake is probably my favorite player overall on the ATP. There are of course a lot of other players I could mention but those are the main two!!

Misa&andylover
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Misa and Zorro :)

http://i26.tinypic.com/1zqtqpk.jpg

Kworb
Jun 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
She is attracted to guys? :speakles:

Tennisballova
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
She is attracted to guys? :speakles:
...and Serena :p