PDA

View Full Version : which one of these "comeback queens" will be the highest ranked at the end of '08??

Beat
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
which one will have the best year? cheers for voting :)

current rankings:
- Lucic: 540
- Bovina: 272
- Karatantcheva: 193
- Grönefeld: 250
- Stosur: 157
- Dokic: 227
- Date-Krumm: 411

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I think Stosar has shown some good signs of returning to form. I would expect her to finish the year ranked somewhere between 40 and 75, probably closer to the later.

As for 2nd place in should be down to the wire between Karatancheva, Dokic and Groenefeld. All should come close to finishing near the top 100 mark.

Darop.
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Stosur almost for sure.

Not saying she had it easy, but her comeback is much less complicated than the other players for various reasons.

sammy01
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
i voted for sesil because shes putting in such hard work already and working her way up from nowhere to inside the top 200 in 6 months which is very good. if she keeps up the work ethic and plays as often as she is she should be near the top 100 by the us open.

Golovinjured.
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think it will be Stosur almost certainly, although she is in a different situation to all the others.

Stosur never really left the game entirely. She never fell out of the Top 200, meanwhile the rest have gone off into tennis oblivion for a period of time, and are coming back from nowhere. Excluding Stosur - I think Groenefeld, Dokic and Karatantcheva could all finish the year ranked from 80-150.

NeeemZ
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Stosur has shown great signs of form. I'd expect her to re enter the Top 100 in the next few months and perhaps even get close to Top 50 by the year's end. She has almost nothing to defend after Wimbledon.

Just Do It
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Stosur's situation is completely different from other girls, she shouldnt be included in this poll at all. I voted Dokic :angel:

P.S Stevenson should be on the list, she is coming back forever !!

Huntress55
Jun 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hopefully Sammy :D

Mr.Kardashian
Jun 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Stosur for sure - she has a protected ranking and has had the most impressive win over peer at Roland Garros.... though Dokic and Groenefeld should be in the top 150 by years end

Dawson.
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM
NA LI!!! she was injured for longer than stosur yet she still makes your list.

justine schnyder
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Stosur or Li

Adal
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I think Stosur ;)

colt13
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
The funny thing is after i saw that Groenfeld won yesterday, i was going to start a poll on which comback queen would qualify for the US Open. But i would have added Stevenson, Sprem, Mamic and Pierce.

pcrtennis
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Date'Krumm's "comeback" isn't a full-blwon effort like the others so it's not really a fair comparison.

I hope Dokic gets back.

Also, Li Na is coming back but she'll quickly move back up I'm sure.

Slutiana
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Stosur of course, and then Jelena.

The fact is, Sesil never had a massive injury or big psychological problems, she just got caught cheating. If she was so good, she should have been tearing up her opponents from the word go, but she's *only* 193 which suggests that she was quite overrated.

austennis
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Stousur, Li and Dokic are my tips i excpect li top 50 by year end, Stosur top 75 and Dokic top 120

kaktusino
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Jie Zheng maybe ...

Beat
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The funny thing is after i saw that Groenfeld won yesterday, i was going to start a poll on which comback queen would qualify for the US Open. But i would have added Stevenson, Sprem, Mamic and Pierce.

i wanted to include sprem, but completely forgot. oh well.

!Gio!
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM

The fact is, Sesil never had a massive injury or big psychological problems, she just got caught cheating. If she was so good, she should have been tearing up her opponents from the word go, but she's *only* 193 which suggests that she was quite overrated.

Have you played tennis before or watched it. When you don´t play professional tennis for two years its extremely difficult to get back into shape, to commit week in and week out. If anything this comeback has been extremely difficult for her. No one gave her a chance, she earned her position back into the top 200, she played pre qualifying at 10k tournaments.:tape: I think the problem with Sesil is that after about a month of playing she got fatigued mentally and physically. Not to mention after winning her first two tournaments there was a lot of pressure for her to perform well and that has gotten to her.
Sesil was out for a long time without playing a professional match.
By years end she will be top 100 but I don´t expect anything big from her till next year. Tennis takes hard work, talent only gets you so far especially in today´s day and age when everyone is so fit. Sesil is after all only 18, her time will come.

I love Elena Bovina, Lucic, Date and have always supported them and I am pretty fond of the rest of the list. So I really hope to see all of them where they belong, the top 100.

As for Sesil and Jelena I expect great things.

Its been a long road for Jelena and she has so much potential, I hope this is only the beginning of an amazing comeback from her.
I will go ahead and make a prediction next year both Jelena Dokic and Sesil Karatantcheva top 40.:worship:
I am not being biased I truly do believe it.
The talent is there and it looks like the work ethic as well now what is missing is the mental aspect, they have to believe they can win, once that happens and the confidence rises they will be on their way.

Renalicious
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Stosur. :)

Freakan
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Well, Stosur got about 100pts for beating queens of slump Peer & Krajicek, so she is probably the biggest favorite here.

hankqq
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I would say Stosur, though I hope all of the players who are attempting comebacks finish the year in good form.

colt13
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I think Sesil's comeback is on track. She's in Wimby qualies, should make US open qualies, and has no points to defend until 09 so her ranking will only go up.

G&R
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
sammy stosur
i hope all these players can make a good comeback

Poova
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Stosur is the only one who will for sure be top 100 IMO (unless she gets injured again). Groenefeld, Dokic and Karatantcheva will all be top 200 (Sesil is already there and has no points to defend obviously), and could make a push for the top 100 if they work hard etc.

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Mary Pierce for sure!

geoepee
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Stevenson. :D

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Stosur is the pretty obvious choice.

Kworb
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Super Sesil

Dawson.
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM

of course theres gonna be psychological problems. she will have to put up with people like you calling her a cheat for the rest of her life, over something she did when she was a 15 year old girl. and lets face it, she probably wasnt the brains behind the idea and most likely got pressured into it by her coach, parents, other players etc.

and having said that, she still claims she is innocent. what if, by some major mistake, she WAS in fact innocent (i dont think she was but thats a different topic), she would have the paranoia of thinking that the same thing will happen again.

also, its not a matter of overrated. her results say it all. she was ranked 35 in the world at one point, she had to have played pretty well as a 15/16 year old to be ranked so high! and those who saw her play will know that she was never a solid consistant player anyways so your arguement is very weak

Vincey!
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Hopefully Dokic will be able to enter bigger events this summer with her own ranking and will climb the ranking again!....but I assumed Stosur will be higher since she started higher than all the others and she's getting more chances in the big events, getting a MD WC for Wimbledon does help her alot if she wins a round.

Holden
Jun 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Beat :wavey:

I'm not going to pick Pierce or Stosur because of their protected rankings. I'd love to pick Bovina but I didn't even know she was already coming back. I haven't seen her play or even saw some results. The glory days of Lucic and Dokic are too far behind us. Their "comeback" has been going on so long now(allbeit on and off) that I don't think you can call it a comeback anymore. It's more like they're still hanging in there and not giving up, and all the more credit to them but I don't think they're going to pull an Agassi.

I personally feel it'd be more difficult to come back from a long slump and personal (psychological) problems than from an injury (that can be healed). That's why I really admire Capriati & Patty for coming back so strong.

To qualify as a "comeback" I feel the player needs to have been at the top for a considerable time in the first place before dropping. Flukes happen all the time. I think Stevenson never even was at the top long enough.

Based on were she was before her slump and her current results, I'm gonna go for Grönefeld.

zveeen
Jun 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I hope that it will be Alg! :)

cn ireland
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I think it'll be between Sesil and Jelena but i'm going for Jelena:D.

Just Do It
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Beat :wavey:

I'm not going to pick Pierce or Stosur because of their protected rankings. I'd love to pick Bovina but I didn't even know she was already coming back. I haven't seen her play or even saw some results. The glory days of Lucic and Dokic are too far behind us. Their "comeback" has been going on so long now(allbeit on and off) that I don't think you can call it a comeback anymore. It's more like they're still hanging in there and not giving up, and all the more credit to them but I don't think they're going to pull an Agassi.
I personally feel it'd be more difficult to come back from a long slump and personal (psychological) problems than from an injury (that can be healed). That's why I really admire Capriati & Patty for coming back so strong.

To qualify as a "comeback" I feel the player needs to have been at the top for a considerable time in the first place before dropping. Flukes happen all the time. I think Stevenson never even was at the top long enough.

Based on were she was before her slump and her current results, I'm gonna go for Grönefeld.

Hmmmm it looks like you did not visit this forum for a long time.

Exiliado
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Sesil is already in GS.

Highlandman
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
ALG, Dokic & Karatantcheva have best chances, however I think ALG ALG or Dokic will have the heighest ranking in the end.

Anna :yeah: Dokic :yeah:

Also wish the other best wishes, especially Mirjana :) & Bovina.

Is Date really a serious comeback?