PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most dangerous floater at wimbledon??

Dawson.
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
as it stands, wozniacki will be the #32 seed at wimbledon. everyone below 32 will be unseeded as no top 32 player has officially withdrawn (although hantuchova looks more and more doubtful)

which of these players do you think will be the most dangerous floater in the draw?

btw i've misspelt stosur's name on the poll and dont know how to correct it :lol:

Uranium
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Sesil Karantantcheva when she qualifies;)

OZTENNIS
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Sesil sucks on grass, if this was Roland Garros it might be different...

I definitely think, providing she is ready, Casey Dellacqua is ready to give Wimbledon a shake. Grass is her favourite surface, and she has risen well for each of the Grand Slams this season. Despite only flying in the day before Birmingham started, she still managed to make the second round and pushed Wickmayer to 3...

Having said that, Wickmayer had a great run at Birmingham, and with her good serve, will be difficult to beat.
As will Kateryna Bondarenko, who was in top form all week and held off Wickmayer to capture the title...

I think these are three of the most dangerous floaters.

Cakeisgood
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Go Li!

kittyking
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Marina Erakovic comes into Wimbledon with the best record on Grass this year, I think shes a very dangerous floater and could well cause a big upset.

AnomyBC
None of those people will be a threat.

Poova
Na Li. I don't think it'll take her long to get back to form, like in Gold Coast where she came back after injury. ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Beth, she seems to keeps improving every week. :bounce:

Dawson.
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
None of those people will be a threat.

thats why i added the option 'other (specify)' :rolleyes:

NeeemZ
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Li has made it to the QFs before at Wimbledon so I don't see why she shouldn't be a big threat. I'd also say Safarova would be a threat, but she's just not producing results so she isn't a BIG threat as she would've been last year. But you never know with her.

drake3781
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Zheng Jie got a MD WC and I think she can be in this group.

Wiggly
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Li, Wickmayer, Bondarenko and Ekarovic.

kittyking
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Li, Wickmayer, Bondarenko and Ekarovic.

I think you are referring to the one, the only, the great Marina Erakovic from the stunning New Zealand ;)

OsloErik
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I think Erakovic has a great chance to off a top 16 seed and make a run to the 4th round.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Other Venus.

I know she'll be seeded high but for some strange reason people who supposedly know tennis are counting her out at Wimbledon.

I don't know what's wrong with them but IMO it's hers to lose.
Everyone else excluding maybe Lindsay and Serena can get it from her and they need a little help.

kfh_9118
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Li for sure :bounce:

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Benesova could draw Vaidisova agai:hearts:

Pin if she draws Safina :lol:

colt13
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Li if she is healthy, sad to say this since i like her, but anyone in Vaidisova's section of the draw.Plus Dellacqua and Kvitova.

Harvs
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
dellacqua

sunsfuns
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM
It all depends from a draw of course (some seeds are not vulnerable to any of them), but I would list K. Bondarenko, Dellacqua, Erakovic, Wickmeyer and Li as potentially dangerous. The rest of those listed are in a slump or not so good to start with...

Tennisstar86
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Davenports the most dangerous floater IMO....

brayster87
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Davenport without doubt

Sean.
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Safarova without a doubt - she is inconsistent but when she plays her best she can beat anyone!

brayster87
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM
...;13399033']dellacqua

:unsure:

kittyking
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:31 AM
:unsure:

You don't think Casey could be a dangerous floater? :cuckoo:

brayster87
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
You don't think Casey could be a dangerous floater? :cuckoo:

She'll be out in the first round

kittyking
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
She'll be out in the first round

Just like Aussie Open and Roland Garros then ;)

justine schnyder
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Li, Erakovic, Yan, Zheng

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Just like Aussie Open and Roland Garros then ;)

Oh please, she doesn't have the game to win on grass, she'll be out early.

Harvs
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM

LOL grass is her most favoured surface!!!

she didnt do well in birmingham as shes only arrived a few days before from paris.. after playing doubles final on clay:)

she will be one to watch at wimby...:)

kittyking
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM

She's got a great serve and she's a great volleyer, what makes you think that Grass wouldn't suit her game? Clay doesn't suit her game in the slightest, much like many of the other Aussies but look what happened in Paris.

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
She's got a great serve and she's a great volleyer, what makes you think that Grass wouldn't suit her game? Clay doesn't suit her game in the slightest, much like many of the other Aussies but look what happened in Paris.

Because she doesn't have flat shots in her game, his catch with her forehand is too late, not astonashing clay succeed to her. She has a litle bit the same game as Patty Schnyder.
Anyway, we'll see.

Destiny
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Wickmayer

OZTENNIS
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
:tape: :tape:
I love the haters

''Oh she is too fat and will never do anything in tennis'' - Casey's answer, 4th Round Aussie Open def. Schnyder and Mauresmo
''Oh she was a fluke and can't play outside of Australia'' - Casey's answer, 4th Round Indian Wells def. Vaidisova and Paszek
''Oh she really sucks on clay'' - Casey's answer, 3rd Round Roland Garros def. Bartoli and a doubles final

Come on people, give her some damn credit :rolleyes:
Casey has said that grass is her favourite surface, she has a decent slice serve which will stay low and swing wide. Her forehand is a good shot, and her backhand is quite reliable. With her improved movement and confidence at the net (after final in doubles at RG) she is potentially one of the most dangerous unseeded players in the draw

Golovinjured.
Jun 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Dellacqua, Stosur and Erakovic from my part of the world. But also Na Li, Wickmayer and Karatantcheva if she manages to qualify. Safarova is always an underdog capable of anything.

Dawson.
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Davenport without doubt

davenport is not a floater, she will be seeded.

Dawson.
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:27 PM
i didnt add dellacqua to the list simply because i personally do know know much about the girl. yes im aware of her results this year (who isn't!) but i have never seen her play before on tv, so i wouldnt know about her serve, volleys etc. if she would have had a decent run in birmingham than i would have had her instead of wickmayer obviously.

G&R
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
maybe katya bondarenko

!Gio!
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
You forgot Pironkova she is only getting stronger as the season progresses and she can give anybody a hard day. I would say in her form she is stronger than any of these players currently altough Li can always cause an upset as well.
Lol at people listing Karatantcheva and not Pironkova who in my opinion is a much better grass player. I don´t think Sesil is there yet but I do think she can qualify. Next year it will be a different story. Two Bulgarians with big bright futures, this is only the beginning.

kwilliams
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Na Li! I really hope she makes some waves this year again.

I would say Davenport but she will be seeded. I don't really consider seeds as floaters.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I love the haters

''Oh she is too fat and will never do anything in tennis'' - Casey's answer, 4th Round Aussie Open def. Schnyder and Mauresmo
''Oh she was a fluke and can't play outside of Australia'' - Casey's answer, 4th Round Indian Wells def. Vaidisova and Paszek
''Oh she really sucks on clay'' - Casey's answer, 3rd Round Roland Garros def. Bartoli and a doubles final

Come on people, give her some damn credit :rolleyes:
Casey has said that grass is her favourite surface, she has a decent slice serve which will stay low and swing wide. Her forehand is a good shot, and her backhand is quite reliable. With her improved movement and confidence at the net (after final in doubles at RG) she is potentially one of the most dangerous unseeded players in the draw

She did get in better shape and you could see the potential on her forehand the year she played Lindsay Davenport at the Australian Open.

She does play well on slow hard courts and her spin on her forehand does work on clay.

You have to look at players like Schynder, Cornet, Schiavone, Harkleroad and Casey, as gamestyles that don't transition to grass because they don't have transitional games that can get them to net with their spins unlike someone like Mauresmo or Justine.

Pebbles
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Dokic or Stevenson. Perhaps Mirjana Lucic if she gets in?

!Gio!
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Some people are really hoping for too much, as much as I like Dokic(is she even playing at wimbledon or Stevenson or Lucic, I don´t think any of them are but even if they are),Lucic, Sesil and the rest but you can´t expect amazing things from them out of nowhere. Tennis is a hard sport it takes a lot of hard work and match practice and a lot of self belief. Talent is there but you need to work hard and believe in yourself in order to tap into it.

These girls all still lack in these categories and need more time.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I love the haters

Do you really think that defeating Mauresmo, Vaidisova and Bartoli in 2008 is an achievement? :lol:

Adal
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Safarova :)

sharapovarulz1
Jun 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM
K.Bondarenko since she has had a great start to her grass season and has shown she can play well on grass :D

Escape
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Erakovic as she's won lots of matches on grass :)
I hope she gets Schiavone or Peer early on :devil:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Former Wimbledon quarterfinalist (who should have taken the match into a third set) Na Li!

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
amelie mauresmo.

Pasta-Na
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM
na li :p

Lyndle_BE
Jun 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Safarova on a good week - she's capable of it, just got to do it consistently.

Casey - Go Aussie.