PDA

View Full Version : Damaged elbow has Molik reassessing her future

Randriantastic!
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/damaged-elbow-has-molik-reassessing-her-future/2008/06/14/1213321695104.html

Damaged elbow has Molik reassessing her future

Linda Pearce
June 15, 2008

COMPROMISED by a persistent elbow injury that has drained her confidence and punished her ranking, former world No. 8 Alicia Molik is expected to reassess her tennis future after the Beijing Olympics. Retirement could soon follow.

Amid growing speculation that this season may be her last, Molik will request a wildcard for Beijing, as her ranking of 115th is well outside the cut-off for direct entry into the singles draw. The 27-year-old rates her bronze medal in Athens four years ago as her career highlight.

Despite winning her second grand slam doubles title at the 2007 French Open, Molik has struggled in singles since returning from the inner ear virus vestibular neuronitis just over two years ago. Before being sidelined by the illness that affected her vision and balance, Molik had just reached the Australian Open quarter-finals to surge into the world's top 10 for the first time.

Recent months have been particularly dispiriting. Her practice time limited by a painful tendon injury known as "golfer's elbow", Molik has not won a main-draw singles match since the Australian Open and last month lost in the first round of qualifying in Rome and Paris. Although assured of contesting the doubles and mixed at Wimbledon, where she partnered Jonas Bjorkman to the final last year, Molik will be forced to enter the singles qualifying event at Roehampton this week. Last week, several eyebrows were raised by her decision to contest a claycourt event in Barcelona rather than enter qualifying at the grasscourt tournament in Birmingham.

Molik's management did not return calls from The Age last week, but Tennis Australia's director of player development, Craig Tiley, said he was uncertain what the future held for the former national No. 1.

"From a personal point of view, I'd like to see Alicia continue to work through where she wants to get to, but that decision is really hers. She's had some injuries, and it's just not an easy road," Tiley said.

"She's out there and doing well in doubles, and trying to make it back in singles, and I think it's been a hard road for her.

"I wouldn't want to speculate on Alicia's behalf without her saying anything, but I would think she would have to be looking at where she's at with her singles at this point because it gets tougher to be able to play doubles at a high level and not be in singles in some of the events."

Molik has been based in Melbourne for several years, but returned home to Adelaide to spend time with her family while recovering from a calf injury, as well as battling the continuing elbow issues. She is believed to have recently been considering her non-playing options, as well as a possible doubles-only schedule.

Her coach, Nicole Bradtke, and trainer, Simon Carney, have remained in Australia rather than travelling to Europe with Molik as originally planned. Bradtke said she expected the partnership to resume after Molik's return from Wimbledon, when — wildcard permitting — she hoped to be preparing for the Olympics.

Molik has won five career singles titles — the most recent in Sydney in 2005 — and seven in doubles, earning more than $3 million in prizemoney.

--

Aww, Leesh.

austennis
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:44 AM
awww alicia its sad for u to go out like this,... doubles only is an option u should look at ..at least u would still be playing and doing well possibly :D gooodluck alicia i hope u make singles main draw at wimby

alwayshingis
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:53 AM
That's a shame. I've always liked her.

It must be hard for her, thinking about what could have been. She had such a promising road in front of her after that Australian Open.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Maybe an extended break would do her some good. Alicia has way to much talent to be ranked outside the top 50, let alone the top 100. :)

selesfan1
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Gosh, she is too good and too talented for this to happen to her.

Alicia Rocks
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Not surprising :sad: :bigcry: :hug: I hope she is able to play the Olympics :awww:

Vincey!
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:47 AM
oooh poor Alicia :sad:...She had the type of game and the shape to stay few more years on the tour :sad:...I hope she'll be fine, and yeah a break could help her I think

Lyndle_BE
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Would be a real shame to see her retire soon. Such talent not fulfilled and a bubbly personality tennis would be losing if this is the case.

Josh.
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I think this could be the end of Alicia. She had such promise after 2005, but i would much rather her go now then have her struggle on for a nother year or two losing to players she shouldn't.

AlmostCrimes
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:06 AM
So disappointing since she was doing so well a few years ago..

fleur137
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
aww poor alicia. she was going so well before all of this =(

Dave.
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:16 AM
:sad: Alicia, although she did win 2 grand slams, should have achieved so much more :bigcry: That ear infection came sat the worst possible time. :(

Ben.
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Alicia :awww: :sobbing:

Shame that the injuries & illnesses have halted her progress, especially when she was in the World's Top 10. Very difficult to find your best form when you've been blighted with illness and injury. Hopefully she can play for at least one more year.

Cat123
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Awww, no :awww: I hope she just takes a long break and doesn't retire completely.

Golovinjured.
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
This is so sad :sad:

After spending so many years ranked around 50-150, she finally made the work pay off and made the Top 10, reached a GS quarterfinal, and won a bronze medal in the Olympics.

That ear infection really knocked her game. She missed the game so much that she rushed her initial return, and it's had a negative effect unfortunately :sad:

Take a break Alicia, a month off, then come back - play a few challengers, then step it up and win another medal at the Olympics :) Please don't go out like this Alicia..

Darop.
Jun 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Awww Alicia :hug:

Beat
Jun 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM
such a shame. she was a real force for a while.

zveeen
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Alicia :sad: :hug:

spiceboy
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think she's into tennis anymore. She was beaten on Tuesday here in Barcelona and Thursday evening was still seen in the club looking miserable instead of going to train on grass in England for Wimbledon qualies :tape:

tenn_ace
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Alicia :sad:

Please don't retire yet. Take time off the tour and take care of the elbow :hug:

Lindsayfan32
Jun 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I really like Alicia and I can't see her getting a wildcard for olympics are they are reserved for countries that don't have representation in the draw. But I hope I'm wrong. It sad to see her redued to this knowing where she was three years ago. I hope she gets it back together and get a wildcard into olympics.

Milito22
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM
:sobbing:

Chrisi
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Lish :sad:

cheo23
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Alicia I'm SO TIRED of all your injury excuses!!! IF you can't play, go REST for a year and stop bitchin' about it!!!

Alicia Rocks
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Alicia I'm SO TIRED of all your injury excuses!!! IF you can't play, go REST for a year and stop bitchin' about it!!!

Where was she bitching about it in this article? :o :rolleyes:

pav
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
:sad:

^bibi^
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Not a big surprise, but still is :sad: :sad:

Alicia :hug:

Direwolf
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
can't she have a break instead to heal that wound

Huntress55