PDA

View Full Version : The Belgians are gone, Here are the Belgians!

roelc
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
With Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin definitively gone, Belgium lost its two best tennis players ever.
I remember them winning a title at the same day (Kim winning Luxemburg and Justine winning Linz).
Tomorrow, it'll be Yanina Wickmayer and Kirsten Flipkens who play a final: Yanina in Birmingham (WTA-tierIII) and Kirsten in Marseille (ITF-75.000$+H).
I know it's not the same and it never will be, but just to say: Belgian tennis is still alive!

Good luck to both of you tomorrow!

ce
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM
good luck :dance:

<Sven>
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Kirsten seems on fire too this week :eek:
We'll have to lower our standards, but I can't say following Yanina, Kirsten, Tammy and anyone else to come will be less fun...
It will probably be more exciting since it's harder to predict if they'll win or not.
Whether with Justine and Kim, you never needed to worry about anything untill the semi's or even the final...

Matthias13
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Well said Roel :yeah: Yanina definitely gave/gives/will give a boost to Belgian tennis. If Kirsten can keep her current form, be consistent and play bigger ITFs (I know it's a lot to ask but I think she can pull it off), we'll have 2 top 100 players again at the end of the year. And then there's Tammy: she needs to develop, that's for sure, but if she keeps up the good work, she is a future Belgian star :)

And let's not forget our promising juniors Sofie Oyen and An-Sophie Mestach :) Belgium is still alive and for a country our size, we're doing just great !

Leve België :p

rjd1111
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:05 PM
With Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin definitively gone, Belgium lost its two best tennis players ever.
I remember them winning a title at the same day (Kim winning Luxemburg and Justine winning Linz).
Tomorrow, it'll be Yanina Wickmayer and Kirsten Flipkens who play a final: Yanina in Birmingham (WTA-tierIII) and Kirsten in Marseille (ITF-75.000$+H).
I know it's not the same and it never will be, but just to say: Belgian tennis is still alive!

Good luck to both of you tomorrow!

Wickie seems to be doing pretty well.

Tennis Ball
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Kirsten seems on fire too this week :eek:
We'll have to lower our standards, but I can't say following Yanina, Kirsten, Tammy and anyone else to come will be less fun...
It will probably be more exciting since it's harder to predict if they'll win or not.
Whether with Justine and Kim, you never needed to worry about anything untill the semi's or even the final...

You can't predict if it'll be harder to predict. ;) Certainly not with Tammy. Just leave options open. :bounce:

<Sven>
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
You can't predict if it'll be harder to predict. ;) Certainly not with Tammy. Just leave options open. :bounce:

Lol, I like your optimism :)

Backhand_stille
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
With Tamarin Handyler Belgium tennis has future :banana:

jujufreak
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
no repeat, Wickmayer lost

the best Belgian is gone, here are some Belgians on a lower level

Slumpsova
Jun 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Wickmayer will be a big hit but Flipkens will be, uhm, i don't know.

nelsondan
Jun 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Won't be long until they get a discount on all the Budweiser they can drink. The Belgians are taking over Anheuser Busch. Not sure what becomes of the Clydesdales.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
From the Appelmans/Monami era straight to the Henin/Clijsters era and now the Wickmayer/Hendler era it seems the Belgium always manage to have a pair of good players. And when that pair finishes a new pair always seems to be there to replace them.

For a country with such a small population it has been very blessed. I can think of a lot of much larger countries whose tennis fans must be quite jealous of how successful Belguim has been over the years.

sharapovarulz1
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wickmayer the next Belgian queen! :D