PDA

View Full Version : match fixing alert!

Dawson.
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
a couple of weeks ago, someone started a thread about Su-Wei Hsieh enetering a $10k event in tokyo, despite being ranked just outside the top 100.

During the thread, talk of match fixing come up and that if Hsieh was to face another player from Chinese Taipei, she would purposely throw the match, so that her fellow country woman would get a rankings boost....

low and behold, Hsieh retires in her 2nd round match against Wen-Hsin Hsu, an unranked qualifier from chinese taipei. Now this could be a genuine injury worry for Hsieh, im not sure.

im just wondering what you guys think and if theres anyone who actually has any information on the 'injury'.

The Kaz
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
a couple of weeks ago, someone started a thread about Su-Wei Hsieh enetering a $10k event in tokyo, despite being ranked just outside the top 100.

During the thread, talk of match fixing come up and that if Hsieh was to face another player from Chinese Taipei, she would purposely throw the match, so that her fellow country woman would get a rankings boost....

low and behold, Hsieh retires in her 2nd round match against Wen-Hsin Hsu, an unranked qualifier from chinese taipei. Now this could be a genuine injury worry for Hsieh, im not sure.

im just wondering what you guys think and if theres anyone who actually has any information on the 'injury'.

Match fixing at a 10K? :spit:

Lucky Wen-Hsin...she got a free point!!!! :woohoo: :rolleyes:

NeeemZ
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure, but are there actual bookies for 10k events with no name players?

Dawson.
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Match fixing at a 10K? :spit:

Lucky Wen-Hsin...she got a free point!!!! :woohoo: :rolleyes:

well thats what i thought when i read the comments on the thread i mentioned. but i was looking through the results on the itf page, and exactly what people were saying has happened! i just thought it was too much of a conincidence

i dunno, maybe i am reading too much into it :shrug:

The Kaz
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
well thats what i thought when i read the comments on the thread i mentioned. but i was looking through the results on the itf page, and exactly what people were saying has happened! i just thought it was too much of a conincidence

i dunno, maybe i am reading too much into it :shrug:

Possibly...Su-Wei isn't known for her orthodox scheduling this year :rolleyes:

-sugi-
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Actually, what you are forgetting is that Wen-Hsin was a very talented junior player and has been ranked as high as 220something in the world on the ITF tour before she had bad injury troubles.
Wen-Hsin could definitely give some trouble to Su-Wei.

Experimentee
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I know the thread you were talking about. Maybe you misunderstood, but they were not talking about matchfixing. There is no betting market in 10K events.

What they were saying was that in the days of bonus points top players would sometimes enter 10Ks and lose to a friend to give the friend big quality points. But now there is no quality points anymore there is no real point in doing that, they would only get round points which in a 10K wouldnt make a big difference to their ranking.

Tennis Fool
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
So why exactly did she enter a 10k?

Reuchlin
Jun 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
So why exactly did she enter a 10k?

Fun?
Extra practice?
She lives nearby?

RND
Jun 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Playing doubles with her little sister.

But they lost in the first round so she didn't feel interested staying there I guess.

Rising Sun
Jun 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Su-Wei was primarily there to play doubles with her sister.

They lost in the 1R, and since there was no point in staying there anymore, she "retired" during her 2R match (the next day).

The fact that she faced Wen-Hsin was an utter coincidence. I'm sure she would have "lost" or "retired" to no matter who she played that day.

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I agree with the two posts above. I dont think it was a matter of winning the singles for Su-Wei, she just wanted to have fun/support her sister.