PDA

View Full Version : I Went To Watch Kimiko Date-Krumm Today!

thomas.chung
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
This week in Tokyo is the Ariake Tennis International Ladies Open, or aka. "one of the ITF's 10K championships".

Kimiko Date is now into the singles final of the 10K championship. However, she lost the doubles to another pair of Japanese girls. I have some court-side videos of her warming up and pictures of her match, I will post them later.

So far, she has played good, but I can tell you that it won't be enough to get back onto the big stage like Tier-I or Tier-II, maybe she can get by on Tier-III. She plays somewhat like Martina Hingis, both have very good touch, good court sense and good retrieval skills. However, I'd say that Hingis is still better because (besides the age) Hingis is faster and seeems to hit the ball just a tid-bit bigger. And both are similar in a way that Hingis and Date both could finish you and your match before you even know.

In the doubles, she and her team had 6-2 first set lead, but then later then lost the second st 6-1. Then at the tiebreak they lost 9-7. In singles, she won 7-6 6-3.

She doesn't hit the ball big, but her shots are flat. Very flat indeed that they skim the net and it stays low after bounce, kind of like Lindsay Davenport, but less power. Sometimes I am amazed by her consistency because she can consistently skim the net while most other players need some more net clearance.

More photos and videos later...

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
This week in Tokyo is the Ariake Tennis International Ladies Open, or aka. "one of the ITF's 10K championships".

Kimiko Date is now into the singles final of the 10K championship. However, she lost the doubles to another pair of Japanese girls. I have some court-side videos of her warming up and pictures of her match, I will post them later.

So far, she has played good, but I can tell you that it won't be enough to get back onto the big stage like Tier-I or Tier-II, maybe she can get by on Tier-III. She plays somewhat like Martina Hingis, both have very good touch, good court sense and good retrieval skills. However, I'd say that Hingis is still better because (besides the age) Hingis is faster and seeems to hit the ball just a tid-bit bigger. And both are similar in a way that Hingis and Date both could finish you and your match before you even know.

In the doubles, she and her team had 6-2 first set lead, but then later then lost the second st 6-1. Then at the tiebreak they lost 9-7. In singles, she won 7-6 6-3.

She doesn't hit the ball big, but her shots are flat. Very flat indeed that they skim the net and it stays low after bounce, kind of like Lindsay Davenport, but less power. Sometimes I am amazed by her consistency because she can consistently skim the net while most other players need some more net clearance.

More photos and videos later...

Lucky you. :)

Great post. Thank you. Very good descriptions. :yeah:

The parts I highlighted sum up what I used to love about Kimiko's game when she was a top 10er. For me the seeing flat shots and slices that just skim the net is what it is all about. I love that kind of tennis. And she was one of the best alltime at producing low bouncing shots.

Of course it would be unrealistic to expect her to be competitive at a Tier I or II level at her age . I would be thrilled to see her find her way back into the top 100. Heck even if she can get into the top 150 that would a major achievement. :)

Jakub
Jun 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
thank you for report

all the best to her :)

jimbo mack
Jun 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
she must be in the top 400 now surely, now she has gotten to the finals?

JujulCactus
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for your report ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the report! :bounce: I hope she wins the tourney tomorow :bounce:.

-sugi-
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Arigato :D