PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst performance of the Top 20 this year?

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
What's the best and worst match of the current top 15? :) PERFORMANCE WISE not if the match had a lot of drama in it.

1-5

Ana Ivanovic

Best: def. V Williams, Melbourne

Worst: lt. to Pironkova, Rome

WHY?

Ana had never won a set against Venus prior to Melbourne, and put on a display of great touch and power to defeat Queen Vee in straights. Venus of course wasn't playing well but it was a good match for Ana. Her loss to Pironkova was bad because obviously, Pironkova isn't a top player and I just have to assume that Ana wasn't playing well.

Maria Sharapova

Best: def. Henin, Melbourne

Worst: def. Rodina, Paris

WHY?

Sharapova was ruthless against Justine and in the first set, Justine wasn't even playing badly. In the second, Maria completely destroyed Henin. The match against Rodina was an error fest from Maria, and on top of that she hit 17 DFs. Luckily, she pulled it out 8-6 in the third against the relatively unknown countrywoman.

Jelena Jankovic

Best: def. V Williams, Rome

Worst: lt. to Yan, Bangalore

WHY?

Jelena's match against Vee gets top pick because Venus didn't play too bad. It was Vee's match to take but Jelena hit some great shots to keep things in play, like always. She saved a handful of break points and didn't let down after she lost the tight first set. Her match against Yan was pretty terrible, what is up with her and the Chinese. Yan played pretty well but Jelena really could've done better.

Svetlana Kuznetsova

Best: def. Sharapova, Indian Wells

Worst: lt. to Cornet, Rome

WHY?

With her win against Maria, Sveta stopped Maria's winning streak and momentum. The best thing was, after Svetlana lost the second set, Maria was playing pretty well and everyone expected Sveta to lose in the third but she pulled it together and stepped it up, playing unbelievable defense. And losing to Cornet in easy straight sets is just bad. Basically, if you think about it, Svetlana does everything Cornet does but better, so I don't know how why she lost.

Elena Dementieva

Best: def. Ivanovic, Dubai

Worst: lt. to Arvidsson, Sydney

WHY?

Dementieva dug deep in her match against Ivanovic, and once again kept her perfect H2H record against her. Some heavy hitting was played in that match and Elena did great not only to get a lot of balls back but to ultimately hit her own winners. The Arvidsson lost was a disaster. Elena is a class player and shouldn't be losing to these people. Admittedly, I didn't watch the match but you could just imagine.

6-10

Serena Williams

Best: def. Radwanska, Berlin

Worst: lt. to Srebotnik, Paris

WHY?

Serena hit something like 20+ winners and 9 UEs in her match against Radwanska, one of her best ratios ever. She played amazing. Her loss to Srebotnik was especially disappointing because she was the favorite going in the tournament and had no mental toughness to pull it out. Some easy volleys and smashes, and she handed the match to Katarina.

Venus Williams

Best: def. Zvonareva, Rome

Worst: lt. to Kvitova, Memphis

WHY?

Vera is one of the most in-form players this year and Venus did well to beat her a second time in straight sets this year after about a month of the tour. There many 'worsts' to chose from but ber match against Kvitova probably was abysmal. After being up a set and a break, Venus imploded into (probably) a session of erratic errors and gave the match to Petra. Bad loss for the defending champ.

Anna Chakvetadze

Best: def. Radwanska, Rome

Worst: lt. to Lisicki, Miami

WHY?

Not many 'bests' here. Just a nasty year so far for Anna. Her win against Radwanska was nice because Radwanska is a good player and Anna beat her handily. There were a stack of 'worsts' to choose from but her loss to Lisicki was especially disgusting because it was FILLED with errors. Reminded me a bit of the SF between her and Kuzzie. :tape:

Dinara Safina

Best: def. S Williams, Berlin

Worst: lt. to Harkleroad, Indian Wells

WHY?

After her win against Henin, not many people expected her to beat an inform Serena, but she did and Serena was actually hitting quite well. So full props to her for playing brilliantly in a brilliant match and also not folding mentally. There were a couple of bad losses for Safina earlier in the year, and the match against Harkleroad was one of them because to put it simply, Harkleroad is not a dangerous player and she was beaten in straights.

Marion Bartoli

Best: def. Cibulkova, Paris [Indoors]

Worst: lt. to Wozniacki, Miami

WHY?

Marion's year has been downright dismal but her win against Dominika was good. Cibulkova was in pretty good form and a 6-1 set in the 2nd was enough to make me state that this is Bartoli's best win so far this year. There are a gazillion 'worsts' but I'd have to say this one because she only managed to win 4 games, and on top of that, she already lost to Caro once before that this year, easily too, so I expected more of a fight. Plus Caro is not someone Marion should be losing to, being a top 10 player.

11-15

Daniela Hantuchova

Best: def. Radwanska, Melbourne & First set of vs. Ivanovic, Melbourne

Worst: lt. to Sprem, Amelia Island

WHY?

Daniela played great vs. Radwanska, only allowing Aga to take 4 games. Pretty clinical from Dani. The first set against Ana was amazing - I've never seen her play better. Great rhythmic play. Sadly her mental capabilities weren't enough to get her the match after winning the first 8 games. Dani was probably not feeling well but her loss to Sprem was still bad. Sprem had been injured and had not played many matches at all - still rusty. She was barely inside the top 300, so this loss was pretty embarrassing.

Patty Schnyder

Best: def. Radwanska, Charleston

Worst: lt. to Kanepi, Miami (only got one game)

WHY?

Patty beat Aga easily, and Aga was in pretty good form. Patty's been having a bad year so far but this win was good. Her lost to Kanepi was pathetic though. The favorite, she won 1 game off the Estonian. Pathetic.

Vera Zvonareva

Best: def. Dementieva, Charleston & second set vs. S Williams, Charleston

Worst: def. King, Fed Cup

WHY?

Vera's having a really good year so far. It was hard to pick a 'best', and she didn't have many bad matches at all. She played well against Dementieva on Elena's favorite surface and also managed to take a set of Serena who was in great form. Her win against King was pretty bad. King (although I love Vania), correct me if I'm wrong, is not even in the top 100 and isn't too tough most of the time. Vera let her have a set and 5 games in Sets 2 & 3. I didnt see the match though.

Agnieszka Radwanska

Best: def. Kuznetsova, Melbourne & def. Domachowska

Worst: lt. to Chakvetadze, Rome

WHY?

She pulled off a great upset against Kuzzy in Melbourne, beating her in straights too. So great win for her, as she had never beaten Sveta before. Also, her match against Domachowska was very high quality and she did extremely well to get through that, even though Marta isn't a top player. Her loss to Anna was bad because Chakky's not in great form and Aga should have taken care of her.

Agnes Szavay

Best: def. Hantuchova, Paris

Worst: lt. to Fedak, Sydney :help:

WHY?

Agnes played a great second set against Dani, although the match was pretty error filled. Szavay's not having a great year, and one loss that really sucked was her loss to Fedak, who can't do anything much. Losing to Fedak is just low. Then after that she lost to Makarova too. :lol: She did avenge these losses later on though. :)

Your thoughts? :)

Dave.
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I know she's not top 15 but I'll add Lindsay:

Best match def. Ivanovic (Miami)

A big upset IMO against the Indian Wells Champ. Lindsay was painting the lines so well the whole match and served extremely well. Best match of her comeback so far.

Hounarable mention to her 1st match of the year against Granville. It was a near-perfect beatdown with just a couple of errors towards the end. That match reminded me of why I love watching Lindsay play.

Worst match lost to Lisicki (Fed Cup)

Wtf was that? I'll never understand how Lindsay was breadsticked. Obviously credit to Lisicki but I remember the error count being uncharacteristicly high from Lindsay that day and dreadful serving.

Honourable mention to the AO 1R against Errani. Should have been a comfortable match. Lindsay was on course for another straight sets win before folding in that 2nd set and very nearly going down in the 3rd.

austennis
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
gooooood post full of interesting stats and interesting how many players best wins in ur opinion are over Aga.. id have to say that i think Ana's best could also b used to describe her FO win for the mental toughness she showed...and for dinara i would have put her wins over Justine,Serena,Elena and Maria all equal

Viktymise
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
What's the best and worst match of the current top 15? :) PERFORMANCE WISE not if the match had a lot of drama in it.

1-5

Ana Ivanovic

Best: def. V Williams, Melbourne

Worst: lt. to Pironkova, Rome

WHY?

Ana had never won a set against Venus prior to Melbourne, and put on a display of great touch and power to defeat Queen Vee in straights. Venus of course wasn't playing well but it was a good match for Ana. Her loss to Pironkova was bad because obviously, Pironkova isn't a top player and I just have to assume that Ana wasn't playing well.

Maria Sharapova

Best: def. Henin, Melbourne

Worst: def. Rodina, Paris

WHY?

Sharapova was ruthless against Justine and in the first set, Justine wasn't even playing badly. In the second, Maria completely destroyed Henin. The match against Rodina was an error fest from Maria, and on top of that she hit 17 DFs. Luckily, she pulled it out 8-6 in the third against the relatively unknown countrywoman.

Jelena Jankovic

Best: def. V Williams, Rome

Worst: lt. to Yan, Bangalore

WHY?

Jelena's match against Vee gets top pick because Venus didn't play too bad. It was Vee's match to take but Jelena hit some great shots to keep things in play, like always. She saved a handful of break points and didn't let down after she lost the tight first set. Her match against Yan was pretty terrible, what is up with her and the Chinese. Yan played pretty well but Jelena really could've done better.

Svetlana Kuznetsova

Best: def. Sharapova, Indian Wells

Worst: lt. to Cornet, Rome

WHY?

With her win against Maria, Sveta stopped Maria's winning streak and momentum. The best thing was, after Svetlana lost the second set, Maria was playing pretty well and everyone expected Sveta to lose in the third but she pulled it together and stepped it up, playing unbelievable defense. And losing to Cornet in easy straight sets is just bad. Basically, if you think about it, Svetlana does everything Cornet does but better, so I don't know how why she lost.

Elena Dementieva

Best: def. Ivanovic, Dubai

Worst: lt. to Arvidsson, Sydney

WHY?

Dementieva dug deep in her match against Ivanovic, and once again kept her perfect H2H record against her. Some heavy hitting was played in that match and Elena did great not only to get a lot of balls back but to ultimately hit her own winners. The Arvidsson lost was a disaster. Elena is a class player and shouldn't be losing to these people. Admittedly, I didn't watch the match but you could just imagine.

6-10

Serena Williams

Best: def. Radwanska, Berlin

Worst: lt. to Srebotnik, Paris

WHY?

Serena hit something like 20+ winners and 9 UEs in her match against Radwanska, one of her best ratios ever. She played amazing. Her loss to Srebotnik was especially disappointing because she was the favorite going in the tournament and had no mental toughness to pull it out. Some easy volleys and smashes, and she handed the match to Katarina.

Venus Williams

Best: def. Zvonareva, Rome

Worst: lt. to Kvitova, Memphis

WHY?

Vera is one of the most in-form players this year and Venus did well to beat her a second time in straight sets this year after about a month of the tour. There many 'worsts' to chose from but ber match against Kvitova probably was abysmal. After being up a set and a break, Venus imploded into (probably) a session of erratic errors and gave the match to Petra. Bad loss for the defending champ.

Anna Chakvetadze

Best: def. Radwanska, Rome

Worst: lt. to Lisicki, Miami

WHY?

Not many 'bests' here. Just a nasty year so far for Anna. Her win against Radwanska was nice because Radwanska is a good player and Anna beat her handily. There were a stack of 'worsts' to choose from but her loss to Lisicki was especially disgusting because it was FILLED with errors. Reminded me a bit of the SF between her and Kuzzie. :tape:

Dinara Safina

Best: def. S Williams, Berlin

Worst: lt. to Harkleroad, Indian Wells

WHY?

After her win against Henin, not many people expected her to beat an inform Serena, but she did and Serena was actually hitting quite well. So full props to her for playing brilliantly in a brilliant match and also not folding mentally. There were a couple of bad losses for Safina earlier in the year, and the match against Harkleroad was one of them because to put it simply, Harkleroad is not a dangerous player and she was beaten in straights.

Marion Bartoli

Best: def. Cibulkova, Paris [Indoors]

Worst: lt. to Wozniacki, Miami

WHY?

Marion's year has been downright dismal but her win against Dominika was good. Cibulkova was in pretty good form and a 6-1 set in the 2nd was enough to make me state that this is Bartoli's best win so far this year. There are a gazillion 'worsts' but I'd have to say this one because she only managed to win 4 games, and on top of that, she already lost to Caro once before that this year, easily too, so I expected more of a fight. Plus Caro is not someone Marion should be losing to, being a top 10 player.

11-15

Daniela Hantuchova

WHY?

Daniela played great vs. Radwanska, only allowing Aga to take 4 games. Pretty clinical from Dani. The first set against Ana was amazing - I've never seen her play better. Great rhythmic play. Sadly her mental capabilities weren't enough to get her the match after winning the first 8 games. Dani was probably not feeling well but her loss to Sprem was still bad. Sprem had been injured and had not played many matches at all - still rusty. She was barely inside the top 300, so this loss was pretty embarrassing.

Patty Schnyder

Best: def. Radwanska, Charleston

Worst: lt. to Kanepi, Miami (only got one game)

WHY?

Patty beat Aga easily, and Aga was in pretty good form. Patty's been having a bad year so far but this win was good. Her lost to Kanepi was pathetic though. The favorite, she won 1 game off the Estonian. Pathetic.

Vera Zvonareva

Best: def. Dementieva, Charleston & second set vs. S Williams, Charleston

Worst: def. King, Fed Cup

WHY?

Vera's having a really good year so far. It was hard to pick a 'best', and she didn't have many bad matches at all. She played well against Dementieva on Elena's favorite surface and also managed to take a set of Serena who was in great form. Her win against King was pretty bad. King (although I love Vania), correct me if I'm wrong, is not even in the top 100 and isn't too tough most of the time. Vera let her have a set and 5 games in Sets 2 & 3. I didnt see the match though.

Agnieszka Radwanska

Best: def. Kuznetsova, Melbourne & def. Domachowska

Worst: lt. to Chakvetadze, Rome

WHY?

She pulled off a great upset against Kuzzy in Melbourne, beating her in straights too. So great win for her, as she had never beaten Sveta before. Also, her match against Domachowska was very high quality and she did extremely well to get through that, even though Marta isn't a top player. Her loss to Anna was bad because Chakky's not in great form and Aga should have taken care of her.

Agnes Szavay

Best: def. Hantuchova, Paris

Worst: lt. to Fedak, Sydney :help:

WHY?

Agnes played a great second set against Dani, although the match was pretty error filled. Szavay's not having a great year, and one loss that really sucked was her loss to Fedak, who can't do anything much. Losing to Fedak is just low. Then after that she lost to Makarova too. :lol: She did avenge these losses later on though. :)

For me, winning a match from MP down in the 4th round of a slam against the world number 1 is pretty monumental. Yes, it was a great win over Serena but the RG 4th round was a bigger match with bigger stakes, and that has to be taken into account.

Josh.
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Good thread. Enjoyed reading that.

Dave.
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
For me, winning a match from MP down in the 4th round of a slam against the world number 1 is pretty monumental. Yes, it was a great win over Serena but the RG 4th round was a bigger match with bigger stakes, and that has to be taken into account.

Agreed. Any of her 4R/QF/SF wins could be chosen as her best. I'd say her win over Kuznetsova was her best one. To come out like that in her first GS semi and not even give Sveta a chance was very impressive. The comeback against Lena was amazing too.

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Well, as I pointed out, this thread is mainly about performance...Dinara played well against Maria but I really did feel like she was playing better against Serena. That third set had amazing quality.

And what ^ said about Aga just shows what a tough opponent Aga is because when someone wins against her, it's big. :)

Adal
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Well, as I pointed out, this thread is mainly about performance...Dinara played well against Maria but I really did feel like she was playing better against Serena. That third set had amazing quality.

And what ^ said about Aga just shows what a tough opponent Aga is because when someone wins against her, it's big. :)
Well if it's based only on level of play, then it has to be Dinara's match against Kuznetsova at RG.

Dodoboy.
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Great list!

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM
She played well there too but as I said, I just felt like she played better in that Serena match. She breadsticked Serena, that's hard. Kuznetsova wasnt playing well in that SF.

Anyway this is just my opinion. :)

Dodoboy.
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Well if it's based only on level of play, then it has to be Dinara's match against Kuznetsova at RG.

Kuzzie was lost in that match. Safina didn't have to play to the level she played even against Henin.

Adal
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Kuzzie was lost in that match. Safina didn't have to play to the level she played even against Henin.
Dinara had many ups and downs in her other wins. She could produce her best tennis at times and then her worst tennis.
In RG SF she was playing on a solid level and had pretty much do downs at all. They both were really nervous at start, but then Dinara took control and didn't allow Kuznetsova to get into the match and play her tennis.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I have to agree with GoVandRena on the Safina selection. Yeah Dinara last two tournaments had many great highlights but the thing that made Dinara's win over Serena so impressive was that she wasn't beating a slumping sloppy Serena like the one who played in Roland Garros she beat an in form at the top of her game Serena. During Miama, Charleston and Berlin Serena really was on fire. Not many players can beat her when she plays at that level. Personally the matches I saw of her during this period convinced me this was the best she had played over an extended period of three tournaments since 2002/3. That Safina had the mental strength and quality of shots to beat Serena in this form was for me immensely surprising but having seen the match I felt it was simply great play from both girls and Safina deservedly edged it.

Safina remains the only girl to beat Serena Williams this year when Serena was playing well, quite an achievement.

Dodoboy.
Jun 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I have to agree with GoVandRena on the Safina selection. Yeah Dinara last two tournaments had many great highlights but the thing that made Dinara's win over Serena so impressive was that she wasn't beating a slumping sloppy Serena like the one who played in Roland Garros she beat an in form at the top of her game Serena. During Miama, Charleston and Berlin Serena really was on fire. Not many players can beat her when she plays at that level. Personally the matches I saw of her during this period convinced me this was the best she had played over an extended period of three tournaments since 2002/3. That Safina had the mental strength and quality of shots to beat Serena in this form was for me immensely surprising but having seen the match I felt it was simply great play from both girls and Safina deservedly edged it.

Safina remains the only girl to beat Serena Williams this year when Serena was playing well, quite an achievement.

In a nut shell ;)

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yep. ;) Her lost to Jankovic was horrible as was her Srebotnik match. I wasn't that disappointed in the Safina match because I know she played well enough.

InsideOut.
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I disagree with the King match for Bepa. I watched the match and the first set and a half King was playing quite well. Inspired and painting the lines. So confident that she took many many balls out of the air with drive volleys and smashes. :)

I disagree with Ana's Venus match. It was more a combination of Ana playing solid and Venus being erratic on the big points. Her best performance, IMO would be the IW final against Kuzzie because Kuzzie wasn't even playing badly, she just got totally outplayed.

But Sharapova's Rodina match was absolutely terrible. :devil:

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Well I know Vania was playing good but if you can find a better match that fits the 'worst' bill, let me know because Vera's had a great year and none of her losses are that bad. Retirements dont count for me, and her loss to Erakovic wasn't bad.

And I disagree with the IW final, Kuzzie played bad IMO, not like she did in previous rounds.

Dav.
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Great read, thanks!

Good thread. Enjoyed reading that.
You stole my banner. :devil: :lol:

InsideOut.
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Well I know Vania was playing good but if you can find a better match that fits the 'worst' bill, let me know because Vera's had a great year and none of her losses are that bad. Retirements dont count for me, and her loss to Erakovic wasn't bad.

And I disagree with the IW final, Kuzzie played bad IMO, not like she did in previous rounds.

For Vera I'd say this one: Bangalore R16 def. Szatmari 7-6(5) 6-1. Against a player not even in Top 200. First set should have been bad but I wouldn't know.

Every time Ana plays well the opponent plays lousy and if Ana plays lousy the opponent plays well...

Renalicious
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I don't know about that...Ana and Jelena both played pretty well in their SF. In matches, the other player almost certainly has something to do with the result. So of course, most likely in every match (especially one sided ones) one player would have played bad. But I think Venus didn't play TOO bad to let it slip. She played half decent and Ana played well, that's why I chose it. Along with that, Ana was able to come back in that second set.

And I agree with the Szatmari one but it was just for one set - she thrashed in the second...but it was definitely on my 'worst' list.

Renalicious
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Well I think Sveta and Vera have got new 'worsts' now. :p

Uranus
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
For Vera I'd say this one: Bangalore R16 def. Szatmari 7-6(5) 6-1. Against a player not even in Top 200. First set should have been bad but I wouldn't know.
Now I'd say it's Eastbourne R2, lt. Makarova 63 63.

Il Primo!
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Good job OP :yeah:

Maryamator
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Thats intresting. Can u make a best and worst for nicole vaidisova when ur free:)?

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
11-15

Daniela Hantuchova

WHY?

I'm going to be contrary and say Dani was better in the 4th round against Kirilenko. Maria was playing RIDICULOUSLY well in that match and had Dani a set and a break down without having played badly at all, Masha was just too good. She hit three particularly insane winners that peppered the lines and the third one gave her the break in the 2nd set. Danka could have folded but you could see her say to herself it's just too good and from then on out fought back amazingly against someone playing well. As dominant as she was in the QF and as much as she didn't allow Aga to play well, it was a very comfortable affair with very little resistance from her opponent.

She and Maria both were making the most of their BP chances, whereas in the QF her and Aga both were wasting them. Her and Maria were also serving better too. Just a much tougher match and given the level of her opponent's play (Maria actually won more points in the match) combined with her play and fight, for me it was a more impressive performance.

It's very close though :)

G&R
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Well I think Sveta and Vera have got new 'worsts' now. :p

:lol:right

Kipling
Jun 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
For JJ, having been there in person, I'm going to nominate her miracle comeback against Arvidsson in Miami. It may not have been anywhere near her best tennis, but it was incredible theatre.

danieln1
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I disagree with the Serena victory: bagelling then number 1 Henin in Miami was the best match she played this season. Radwanska is a player she should beat, easily, while winning against Justine, humiliating her the way Serena did, it was the best victory in 2008 for her!

iPatty
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I don't see how you can rate a player's performance when you don't even watch half the matches on this list.

Renalicious
Jun 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Lol I watched that Dani/MaKiri match live at Vodafone Arena, Dani played well but she did choke a bit in that third set.

Yeah I'll do some more later, I'll do like until Top 20+ :p

And well if you saw the two matches (vs Justine and Aga) I really felt like she played way better against Aga, she hit something like 25+ winners and only like 9 UEs. She played well against JH but the thing is JH was playing really bad. Aga was actually playing good.

Renalicious
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:47 AM
UPDATE

Svetlana Kuznetsova's worst is now her loss to Caroline Wozniacki in Eastbourne. Kuznetsova the big favorite for the title, and Caro had been thrashed by just about every top player out there. We expected the Kooz to win this one but it was not so - and what was more shocking was that Caro was the one who thrashed Sveta! :scared:

Vera Zvonareva's worst loss is now her loss to unheralded Ekaterina Makarova in Eastbourne. Her straights loss was a big disappointment, but also her only real bad loss in a long time. Makarova, who is ranked 62nd beat Vera 6-3, 6-3. Baddd. :mad:

16-20

16. Victoria Azarenka

Best: def. Schiavone, Paris [French Open]

Worst: lt. to Danilidou, Paris [Indoors]

WHY?

Well her win against Franny was fantastic - she was playing tremendous tennis and ended up giving two breadsticks to the clay-court specalist. Vika was on fire that day - amazing winners. To be honest Vika hasn't had many bad losses this year and only retirements are letting her down (but I'm not counting them) so I chose that worst purely because of the player she lost to, and also because she lost after winning that first set easily. Another match candidate would've been her win against Errani, in what was a massive struggle.

17. Alize Cornet

Best: def. Kuznetsova, Rome

Worst: lt. to Salerni, Bogota

WHY?

Cornet's win against Kuznetsova is definitely her biggest win so far in her young career, defeating a Top 5 player in pretty good form and in straights too. She played great clay court tennis. However her top spin failed against Salerni in Bogota. Salerni, ranked 89th at the time won that one in straights and of course I didn't watch this one (R1, Tier III) but it's pretty clear Alize didn't play her best.

18. Nicole Vaidisova

Best: def. Jankovic, Sydney

Worst: lt. to Mattek, Birmingham

WHY?

Hot of her win against 9th ranked Hantuchova 6-4, 6-2, she fought hard to beat 3rd ranked Jankovic 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. It was a good win, definitely and a pretty good match too. But this was pre-slump. Losing to Mattek is bad enough on it's own for clear reasons but the fashion in which Nicole played the match was disgusting. Errors everywhere, and totally tanked that second set.

19. Maria Kirilenko

Best: lt. to Hantuchova (1st set and first 3 games of 2nd set), Melbourne

Worst: lt. to Jankovic, Rome

WHY?

MaKiri played out of her mind in that Round of 16 against Daniela. I think her forehand especially was on fire. I watches this match live and Maria was just so consistent. Daniela didn't have a chance to play her game. Sadly she lost that match. Now you might be thinking 'why didn't the OP pick a match from Maria's 5 match losing streak?' (including a disaster loss to Errani) but I picked this match because Maria was playing terribly. So terribly. Just hitting error after error and not taking her chances when she had them. Jelena didn't even play that well, she just was hitting the ball in. MaKiri was a big letdown in that match after having a good start. She got double breadsticked.

20. Francesca Schiavone

Best: def. Henin, Dubai

Worst: lt. to Medina Garrigues, Fed Cup

WHY?

Francesca played an unbelievably high quality match against Justine. Both hit winners but Franny was just better there. She also held herself mentally. It was such a great match though. Her loss to Medina Garrigues wasn't a total disaster but the last set was pretty much a tanking. She hit a lot of errors too. Should've won that one.

spriwi
Jun 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
lol
4 players having best wins against aga according to you
Serena
Dani
Chak
Schnyder

poor aga :hug: they all did they best against her. cause i dont think her mixed game can make people get the rythm... :shrug:

Renalicious
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Well all four just happened to play really well. And once again it just shows what a tough player Aga is for these players to get their best wins against her.

All four wins were different. Serena and Dani were purely because they played really, really well and Chakvetadze and Schnyder because they were slumping and were able to get a good win against a top player.

Destiny
Jun 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
update :)

Vespertine69
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Minor disagreement...

You have Radwanska's worst performance down as losing to Chakvetadze in 3 sets in Rome... Aga didn't play great that match, but it's a weird selection as her worst... Anna had already beaten her in Dubai, and slumping or not, Anna's not an easy proposition for Aga - with Aga having a great year and Anna having a horrible one, Anna is 2-0. I know a lot of people seem to think Anna's the worst thing to hit the top 10 since the black plague, but seriously... Miami R64 Aga lost against Larcher de Brito after winning the first set at a canter. I can't believe that isn't considered a worse performance?

Anyways, sorry if that seems critical! But I really liked your list and felt like adding an opinion.

Renalicious
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'll update after Wimbledon lol. :p

I did consider her match against Larcher De Brito but she did put up a good fight and I saw glimpses of the match, and it appeared that she was hitting the ball relatively well ( a few too many errors, but she still did hit some good winners ) but the match against Chakky was a mess. A lot of errors overall for everyone.

But I am considering changing it. :)

Sander.
Jun 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Much work I think:p

Ballbasher
Jun 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Ivanovic and Masha hitting their new worsts :p

Malva
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Minor disagreement...

You have Radwanska's worst performance down as losing to Chakvetadze in 3 sets in Rome... Aga didn't play great that match, but it's a weird selection as her worst... Anna had already beaten her in Dubai, and slumping or not, Anna's not an easy proposition for Aga - with Aga having a great year and Anna having a horrible one, Anna is 2-0. I know a lot of people seem to think Anna's the worst thing to hit the top 10 since the black plague, but seriously... Miami R64 Aga lost against Larcher de Brito after winning the first set at a canter. I can't believe that isn't considered a worse performance?

Anyways, sorry if that seems critical! But I really liked your list and felt like adding an opinion.

Some minor comments.

One has to look at Agnieszka's loss to Chakvetadze in Dubai in light of very unusual circumstances for Agnieszka. She barely finished her Semi-Final in Doha againts Sharapova, and right away she had to board a plane to Dubai, next day start playing 3(!) qualifying matches within the scope of 2 days, and day later to face fresh Chakvetadze. That was the last time she had to play the qualies even though players ranked lower than her were in the Main Draw -- that was due to her last minute decision to play Dubai.

An incredibly cavalier approach to say the least...

In comparison, her loss to Chakvetadze in Rome was rather disappointing. It seems that Anna may be indeed an unconvenient player for Agnieszka.

I was thinking too that Agnieszka's worst loss was against Larcher de Brito. But I didn't watch that match and neither her match against Chakvetadze in Rome, so I am leaving the decision to those who did.

I'll update after Wimbledon lol. :p

I did consider her match against Larcher De Brito but she did put up a good fight and I saw glimpses of the match, and it appeared that she was hitting the ball relatively well ( a few too many errors, but she still did hit some good winners ) but the match against Chakky was a mess. A lot of errors overall for everyone.

But I am considering changing it. :)

I like this thread and your analyses, GoV&Rena.

G&R
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
what about Nadia?

Renalicious
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the comments. :)

Masha is definitely getting a new 'worst'. :lol: (Although mind you her win against Rodina was pretty damn bad as well.)

And Nadia - is she in the top 20? I might expand my list a little later on. :)

Andreas
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ivanovic and Masha hitting their new worsts :p
I think, it was worse against Pironkova ;)

InsideOut.
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think, it was worse against Pironkova ;)

It sure was. She was dumping easy rallying shots halfway up the net against Pironkova. :help: After that she tried to moonball but Pironkova bashed them away AND some of her moonballs went OUT. :tape:

Dodoboy.
Jun 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Venus 3r was her best performance this year :)

Malva
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:38 AM
interesting how many players best wins in ur opinion are over Aga..

And what austennis said about Aga just shows what a tough opponent Aga is because when someone wins against her, it's big. :)

4 players having best wins against aga according to you
Serena
Dani
Chak
Schnyder

poor aga :hug: they all did they best against her. cause i dont think her mixed game can make people get the rythm... :shrug:

After the 4th Round match Kuznetsova vs. Radwańska at Wimbledon, it occurred to me that the top guns simply must bring their absolutely best and most aggressive when facing Agnieszka, and even if they hit 15 aces and 45 winners, they are not guaranteed to win if they release their relentless pressure for just a game or two.

This may be the key to understanding why so many top players had their best performance this year when playing against Radwańska.