PDA

View Full Version : Boris Becker: "Sharapova should stop grunting!"

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Boris Becker: "Sharapova should stop grunting!"

Everyone says it, not just Becker

Mchstnate
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Shut up Boris! shes not the only one who does it...its what makes her Maria Sharapova

spiritedenergy
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM

After saying that the loudest shrieker is Sharapova (100 decibel, equal to the sound of a small plane landing), Boris Becker words are reported:
"When I see Maria Sharapova or Serena Williams I can't understand them. There is something sexual and one ends up thinking that it's not healthy because they're damaging their vocal cords. All of this cannot continue like that. It must be stopped, let's ban them [grunts/shrieks]. All of this is not even useful for playing".

Mchstnate
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Oh boy! now im convinced..NOT. Im sure its much more easier from her Point of View.

This is like banning that little kid from competing for having a grunt. Let Them Play!

spiritedenergy
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Oh boy! now im convinced..NOT. Im sure its much more easier from her Point of View.

This is like banning that little kid from competing for having a grunt. Let Them Play!

It's not banning the player. It's banning the shriek. Maybe they should ban shrieks that are TOO loud, they could measure decibels on court and warn players when they scream above a threshold. This could be a first step.

Mchstnate
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
It's not banning the player. It's banning the shriek. Maybe they should ban shrieks that are TOO loud, they could measure decibels on court and warn players when they scream above a threshold. This could be a first step.

:lol: Whats this world coming to, grunt measurements!

Well I know they couldn't ban a player for that, im just saying, its just as pathetic.

I must say at the end of the Safina match, her screamin did get a little bad, but if thats what

she needed to do to win, Im all for it

Equus
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
And you should stop taking drugs.

shrOOf
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
She doesn't need to stop it.. But it's just too much.

Adal
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
This topic made it through the board crisis. Congratulations :worship:

Slutiana
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe people would have cared 3 years ago but people have gotten used to Maria's grunt, and Serena doesn't even grunt that much or loudly! :o

Apoleb
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I would prefer if they ban Kuznetsova from playing, with or without grunt.

spiritedenergy
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
:lol: Whats this world coming to, grunt measurements!

Well I know they couldn't ban a player for that, im just saying, its just as pathetic.

I must say at the end of the Safina match, her screamin did get a little bad, but if thats what

she needed to do to win, Im all for it

well, she's not alone on court, is she? Is there any respect for the opponent in the WTA? If stabbing an opponent is what is needed to win, I'm all for it.:weirdo:

There are some reasons why WTA is so hated from men's tennis fans:rolleyes:

ASP0315
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
boris is right.

faboozadoo15
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Fuck Boris. He should get a life, get off drugs, and pay careful attention to his taxes.

misael
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe they should ban retired male players on commenting on the women's game,Nadal grunts ,I don't hear Boris commenting on that.

Direwolf
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
But i love Sharapovas grunt when she plays the sisters..
it makes it more
interesting...

spiritedenergy
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Fuck Boris. He should get a life, get off drugs, and pay careful attention to his taxes.

Classy mashabator at his best. You can't even touch a champion like him:wavey:

Adal
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ugh Boris.
I'm gonna kick his ass in Top Spin 3

faboozadoo15
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Classy mashabator at his best. You can't even touch a champion like him:wavey:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I take tips on tact from you.
You're a disgrace to Monica's level-headed fans.

Anyway, Boris was certainly a great tennis player, but he should keep to himself about telling others what's right and wrong. He's got numerous drug allegations flying around, he conceived a child with a woman in a closet of a restaurant and denied the encounter until a paternity test proved otherwise, and he's been convicted of tax evasion.

ASP0315
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Ugh Boris.

:lol:
good way to take revenge.

Il Primo!
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Ugh Boris.

You know the truth. I bitchslap Mauresmo in Wimbledon when I make her play against Hewitt:hearts::tape:

And, who cares? :yawn:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Ugh Boris.

Let us know the score :haha:

Craig.
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
After saying that the loudest shrieker is Sharapova (100 decibel, equal to the sound of a small plane landing), Boris Becker words are reported:

Too biased and pathetic to mention that he talked about Serena as well? :lol:

Sad.

number33
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Ugh Boris.

Please double bagel him! :bounce:

Destiny
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
:yawn:

spiritedenergy
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
It'll be a cold day in hell before I take tips on tact from you.
You're a disgrace to Monica's level-headed fans.

Anyway, Boris was certainly a great tennis player, but he should keep to himself about telling others what's right and wrong. He's got numerous drug allegations flying around, he conceived a child with a woman in a closet of a restaurant and denied the encounter until a paternity test proved otherwise, and he's been convicted of tax evasion.

So what's your point? Isn't he entitled of his opinion as a tennis champion. Graf should have shut her mouth forever then.:weirdo: Instead of attacking, try to reply to the point. Point is, you can't because you know well those screams are not part of tennis and should never be allowed on court.

You're a disgrace for humanity, fabootroll:lol:

Craig.
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
So what's your point? Isn't he entitled of his opinion as a tennis champion. Graf should have shut her mouth forever then.:weirdo: Instead of attacking, try to reply to the point. Point is, you can't because you know well those screams are not part of tennis and should never be allowed on court.
You're a disgrace for humanity, fabootroll:lol:

Yeah, cause if Ana grunted (she actually does make an annoying little sound but it's not considered grunting), you would say the same thing :lol:

spiritedenergy
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah, cause if Ana grunted (she actually does make an annoying little sound but it's not considered grunting), you would say the same thing :lol:

Stop dragging Ana in every discussion, its' pathetic. Try to discuss the point. I also think that a measure like that would tone down a bit Ana's reaction after points. But the difference is that Ana's reaction (even if sometimes excessive) is after points, Sharapova's is during points.

Craig.
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Stop dragging Ana in every discussion, its' pathetic. Try to discuss the point. I also think that a measure like that would tone down a bit Ana's reaction after points. But the difference is that Ana's reaction (even if sometimes excessive) is after points, Sharapova's is during points.

You're pathetic and you know it. :)

After should be worse though, right? At least if it's during points, it means that she's actually doing it to relieve some energy and to go all out. But if you do it after the point or the shot played, then what's the point? It's over. That's just making noise. Nevertheless, all of this is still subjective.

debopero
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:52 PM

:)

terjw
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM

I agree with this. Why not measure the sound. Maria is the worst offender - but if any player shrieks too loud they should get a warning and next time they should lose a point. Then a game. That would clear this problem up in no time.

debopero
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
...And the interesting thing is no players have ver comlained abou tit.It is just old decrepit and retuired players.

Cat123
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
How may times... I don't think Maria does it on purpose! She should have had it knocked out of her when she was a junior. No one made mer stop, it's just reflex now. I don't even notice it anymore to be honest.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jun 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
As they say, "that horse had left the barn" with Seles in my opinion. I don't like the loud grunters either, but I'm afraid it's too late to say much about it now.

I must admit, that I don't watch Shriekypova that much because of her grunt. I had a chance to see her live a couple of years ago, and declined because of it. On TV, I find myself turning the TV volume up and down -- up to hear the commentators, then down when I can't stand the constant shriek. It's too bad too, because I like Shriekypova against top players. She's such a fighter. But I can't stand the noise level.

p.s. By the way, the noisiest and most annoying remains Monica Seles for me. She was such a great player, but I never could listen to her play.

tennisbear7
Jun 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Everyone should get over it.

If they don't like it, they shouldn't watch her matches. End.

And lol at the Ana fans talking about grunting. Ana grunts pretty loud too.

AcesHigh
Jun 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with this. Why not measure the sound. Maria is the worst offender - but if any player shrieks too loud they should get a warning and next time they should lose a point. Then a game. That would clear this problem up in no time.

I agree, 100 decibels is too much. Especially if it's being done frequently. Quiet it down, a couple of warnings followed by a penalty should be enough.

Sharapova, Venus, Serena, Ana, whoever. Reaching upwards of 100 is crazy.

sasha&tennis
Jun 13th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I agree with the grunts being measured because they can really get loud at times. Many players have and still do complain about it when they play Sharapova but like you said it is old news so they don't constantly talk about it. But that doesn't mean that the problem goes away. I can see people grunting occasionally because playing tennis myself sometimes it just happens. But Sharapova does it almost every single time she hits the ball. She does it on 1st serves, 2nd serves, ground strokes & volleys even but I have never heard her do it on a drop shot. So that tells me that it is something that she can control. She is not the only one who does it but she is the loudest by far.

JadeFox
Jun 13th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Wow. I guess it's a slow news day when THIS old shit gets brought up again. Seriously who is Becker to talk? He comes from an era that had guys like McEnroe berating umpires, breaking their racquets frequently, rubbing out marks, and other offenses far worse than grunting.

And no I do not think it should be regulated. Few active players on the WTA Tour have ever complained about grunting so why should it be?

Medina
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Id rather sharapova to stop playing.

Cakeisgood
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Why are all these fogies complaining? If current players were complaining, fine, but this type of thing does not affect them at all. Personally, I feel like people like Becker are saying this stuff just so they're brought up in conversations such as this one. Seriously, let the players deal with themselves and go play seniors tennis.

Andy.
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Seles was just as loud back when she played so people need to get over it and just leave her alone.

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Seles was just as loud back when she played so people need to get over it and just leave her alone.

Not true, 100 decibels.:wavey:

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Quick question. Hypothetically, say I was unbiased towards Maria, but why are you so obsessed with a player you hate?

That was a totally honest question because I see you more in Maria threads than in Ana threads.

You have Ana in your avatar:tape:

Cakeisgood
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Not true, 100 decibels.:wavey:

Quick question. Hypothetically, say I was unbiased towards Maria, but why are you so obsessed with a player you hate?

That was a totally honest question because I see you more in Maria threads than in Ana threads.

Pasta-Na
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM
he should say something about fist-pump instead :lol:

Oswald56
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Boris for the win!

sweetpeas
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIGHT ON!tHEY"RE just mad,because Maria and Serena have more money,

SV_Fan
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Im confused. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Venus grunt louder than serena?

back in 04 maria would grunt up yo 120 decibles thats damaging. But now she has toned it down alot. Sometimes she goes into periods of silence. He should just leave them alone. I think he's mad because he cant get an erection from their grunting.

the cat
Jun 14th, 2008, 01:40 AM

No.

ASP0315
Jun 14th, 2008, 03:36 AM
As they say, "that horse had left the barn" with Seles in my opinion. I don't like the loud grunters either, but I'm afraid it's too late to say much about it now.

I must admit, that I don't watch Shriekypova that much because of her grunt. I had a chance to see her live a couple of years ago, and declined because of it. On TV, I find myself turning the TV volume up and down -- up to hear the commentators, then down when I can't stand the constant shriek. It's too bad too, because I like Shriekypova against top players. She's such a fighter. But I can't stand the noise level.

well said

faboozadoo15
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:01 AM
So what's your point? Isn't he entitled of his opinion as a tennis champion.

See, here's where YOU'RE wrong. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that he's an annoying asshole who should shut the fuck up about women's tennis. It's such a tired subject, and it's really pathetic that this and his legal troubles are the only things that make headlines anymore. Poor chap.

irma
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:51 AM
the new dr. spock isn't blaming Yuri?

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:07 AM
See, here's where YOU'RE wrong. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is that he's an annoying asshole who should shut the fuck up about women's tennis. It's such a tired subject, and it's really pathetic that this and his legal troubles are the only things that make headlines anymore. Poor chap.

Because it hasn't been solved yet? When there will be screaming erinyes on court maybe it will be too late to save tennis from screams.:rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Have we stepped back into 1992? :roleyes:

Yes, the women are loud, but I've never heard these complaints directed to men who grunt and groan. Why the selective targeting?

number33
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM

imo, the real problem is, if they start to make a regulation about this, c'mon, it's ridiculous, grunting in tennis is not something that anyone could really control, nobody does that on purpose, it's not like "oh, here comes the ball, it's about time to grunt!".
I think most people will subconsciously grunt when they release a lot of power to hit the ball, or when they try to return the ball that's hard to reach, and there's nothing wrong with that.

améliemomo
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Maybe they should ban retired male players on commenting on the women's game,Nadal grunts ,I don't hear Boris commenting on that.

well ok but nadal grunt cant be compared to the sharaova one with all her decibels:drool:

babuska6
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
boriiis :D i agree,sharapova stop grunting!

Dexter
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Maria doesn't even grunt. :shrug: She shrieks.

OsloErik
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: someone with a sense of humor needs to have a go at screaming, not even pretending it's a grunt, doing menial things like bouncing the ball, adjusting their hair, switching sides, unwrapping a racket, just to get under the opponent's skin. And not just for a point or two, for a couple of games. If it weren't for the fact that Schiavone already grunts, I'd suggest her for the task.

It may make the player seem obnoxious, but there's no denying that things like Soderling's Nadal impersonation during Wimbledon or Zvereva's Pierce imitation got under their opponent's skin. If they had kept it up, who knows?

homogenius
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Princeza
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm sure she's devastated by this comment :awww:

Steff_forever
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Boris is and stays a superarrogant person whatever happens in his life. As much as I like Steffi I dislike him.

But I'm pissed by players who use shrieking as a weapon to intimidate their opponents. And that seems to be the only reason why they do it.

Masha often gets totally quiet when the rally gets longer and she really needs the point. She focuses much more there and most of the times wins them. So shrieking is neither the sign of a mental and still less a sign of a physical eruption. It's a pure macho component of her game.

lynxy
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Maria's grunting is b*llsh*t. Maria's shrieking is originally a contrived element of her game even if it has become an ingrained habit by now. I saw her in a low-key match in real life where she wasn't even hitting hard and she still made the noises, so it has nothing to do with physical effort. I look on it as a way to dominate her opponents, just like hitting the ball hard.

I would like to know if it bothers most players- but would they care to admit it if they can't stop it?

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: someone with a sense of humor needs to have a go at screaming, not even pretending it's a grunt, doing menial things like bouncing the ball, adjusting their hair, switching sides, unwrapping a racket, just to get under the opponent's skin. And not just for a point or two, for a couple of games. If it weren't for the fact that Schiavone already grunts, I'd suggest her for the task.

It may make the player seem obnoxious, but there's no denying that things like Soderling's Nadal impersonation during Wimbledon or Zvereva's Pierce imitation got under their opponent's skin. If they had kept it up, who knows?

Jelena imitated Ana at RG:lol:

Venus tried to scream louder than Maria at Wimbledon 2005 and won, so yes, it may work indeed. And moreover, do they grunt/scream during practice? If they really need to, they would do it during practice, but I know that most of them don't. So make your conclusions people. It's called "cheating":rolleyes:

Mashafaaaaan
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Jelena imitated Ana at RG:lol:

Venus tried to scream louder than Maria at Wimbledon 2005 and won, so yes, it may work indeed. And moreover, do they grunt/scream during practice? If they really need to, they would do it during practice, but I know that most of them don't. So make your conclusions people. It's called "cheating":rolleyes:

STFU Hater:rolleyes:

Carsten
Jun 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Every time this guy opens his mouth he's talking bullshit just to stay in media :rolleyes:

He should stop talking about tennis and continue playing his poker tournaments :lol:

G8Day2bAlive
Jun 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have to disagree. Good on ya boris. I used to be a huge fan of women's tennis now I can't watch it anymore because of all the screaming. I know I am not alone in this thought because I have talked to many people at tournaments and they don't go to women's matches (especially Maria's) because of the the screaming. It hurts the game of tennis for women. Even casual tennis fans know about her screams... I come on here often to check the scores of matches but really can only watch select women's matches because the screaming takes away from the game. I can only stand to watch men's matches now, and a few women's matches on mute. Like I said I used to be a huge women's tennis fan. I hope that young girls don't continue to copy these women because that is what is happening and it turns away people from watching the great sport of tennis. I know i am going to get a backlash of posters that disagree, and that is fine because that is your opinion, but my opinion is also a common opinion of tennis fans too.

Dan23
Jun 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM
well, she's not alone on court, is she? Is there any respect for the opponent in the WTA? If stabbing an opponent is what is needed to win, I'm all for it.:weirdo:

There are some reasons why WTA is so hated from men's tennis fans:rolleyes:What do you have to say about Nadal then :rolleyes:

Only had to read the 1st page of this thread to see it will again be full of :bs: StupidRetardery has more than 3 times the number of posts in this thread than anyone else :o its unhealthy, just piss off and leave everyone in peace

Get over it Boris

Sefo
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Time for new drugs, Boris.

Dawson.
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
reason??

NeeemZ
Jun 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Have we stepped back into 1992? :roleyes:

Yes, the women are loud, but I've never heard these complaints directed to men who grunt and groan. Why the selective targeting?

Selective targetting? She's not targetted because she's a household name or a champion and people are just jealous. She was targetted even after she won her first few matches at Birmingham in 2003, when she was outside the Top 100 and it's still an unresolved issue. It's not selective targetting at all considering she was shrieking at 105 decibels continuously and complaints were being made from other courts to get her to shut up.

Cakeisgood
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
You have Ana in your avatar:tape:

Your point? Maybe if you actually looked at the avatar, you might get it.

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have to disagree. Good on ya boris. I used to be a huge fan of women's tennis now I can't watch it anymore because of all the screaming. I know I am not alone in this thought because I have talked to many people at tournaments and they don't go to women's matches (especially Maria's) because of the the screaming. It hurts the game of tennis for women. Even casual tennis fans know about her screams... I come on here often to check the scores of matches but really can only watch select women's matches because the screaming takes away from the game. I can only stand to watch men's matches now, and a few women's matches on mute. Like I said I used to be a huge women's tennis fan. I hope that young girls don't continue to copy these women because that is what is happening and it turns away people from watching the great sport of tennis. I know i am going to get a backlash of posters that disagree, and that is fine because that is your opinion, but my opinion is also a common opinion of tennis fans too.

exactly what's happening. Screams and shrieks are distestful and really take away from matches.

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Your point? Maybe if you actually looked at the avatar, you might get it.

why don't you have an avatar with a simple Maria's picture of her AO win? Why do you have to twist it in a way to make Ana appear humiliated? You are the obsessed one, not me.:)

Craig.
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
exactly what's happening. Screams and shrieks are distestful and really take away from matches.

Distasteful. ;)

Again, and I don't wanna go back to this, but I have to so don't go off on me... would you say the same thing if Ana shrieked or grunted just like Maria?

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Distasteful. ;)

Again, and I don't wanna go back to this, but I have to so don't go off on me... would you say the same thing if Ana shrieked or grunted just like Maria?

Well, checking decibels would tone down Ana's Ajdes as well, so yes. It's a very simple and effective measure, i wonder why everyone is against it...

Craig.
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Well, checking decibels would tone down Ana's Ajdes as well, so yes. It's a very simple and effective measure, i wonder why everyone is against it...

No, I meant the whole shrieking thing being distateful and inappropriate to tennis.

spiritedenergy
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
No, I meant the whole shrieking thing being distateful and inappropriate to tennis.

i would never be an Ana's fan if she would scream like that. That's one of the (many) reasons why I don't like Sharapova.

Craig.
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
i would never be an Ana's fan if she would scream like that. That's one of the (many) reasons why I don't like Sharapova.

Appreciate the honesty. Thanks. :)

drake3781
Jun 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM

I agree on this, and have alreayd proposed it. Surely technology should make this simple and inobtrusive.

What? :rolleyes:

I agree. I don't like Ana's other annoying habits, so I'm not a fan of hers, but surely screaming would be a deal buster if I were inclined to ilke her.

goldlion
Jun 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
It's not only Sharapova who grunts, but other players as well.

And what does he mean by 'too loud', does the grunt needs to be measured everytime?

Also, for those who buy the tickets, do u want to watch a match with mute mode on?

Cage
Jun 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I beleive that if its a real grunt then let her go but if she can stop then maybe she should try? But if they say this to maria so many other players need to be told as well.

mal
Jun 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM

Yeah, well tennis would be better if Ana would stop climbing on chairs and stop flashing at teenage boys.

Mchstnate
Jun 15th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, well tennis would be better if Ana would stop climbing on chairs and stop flashing at teenage boys.

and squeakin her damn shoes:lol:

spiritedenergy
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Okaaaay. :weirdo:

morningglory
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:59 AM
:lol: why is this thread still alive?

Measuring dBs on court? Are you kidding me? :lol: Talk about stupid...

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Maria must have turned down Boris :awww:

carling
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Boris Becker has every right to speak his mind. Many tennis fans can't even watch Sharapove due to what one guy at work described as her "hollering". Maria doesn't grunt. She screams. Personally, I have never had a problem with Maria, Seles, or any other grunt, but I understand that others do. Frankly, I find Ivanovic's clinched fist after every fucking point far more annoying than a grunt, but that's ME.

BORIS BECKER FOREVER!!!!!!!

mal
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Maria must have turned down Boris :awww:

Him too?
I thought I was the only one she turned down.
still there's still plenty of skin left on the nose. :tape:

Mchstnate
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Frankly, I find Ivanovic's clinched fist after every fucking point far more annoying than a grunt, but that's ME.

SO DO I:rolleyes:!!!

It drives me nuts, now I know alot of players do it, but she seems to really put TOO MUCH into it...its one of those little things that gets to ya.:tape:

G8Day2bAlive
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM
:lol: why is this thread still alive?...

This thread is still alive because it is an important matter. Personally many people are siding on the issue due to personal favorite players. However, I look at it from the perspective of loving the game of tennis. I go to the local club and young girls in their early teens are imitating the screams of the professionals because they look-up to the professionals. (Professionals - I am not linking it with certain names)...This is going to be a problem that will face women's tennis in the future. Like I said earlier I used to love women's tennis and myself like many others have really declined watching women's tennis because of these unnecessary screams. And for a people who love the sport of tennis as a game, instead of worshipping certain players, then this is a problem for the future of women's tennis because it is going to be a trend for future generations. That is a shame. :sad:

Serge007
Jun 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM
This thread is still alive because it is an important matter.
Screaming and grunting are an important stuff? Hmm... In this case you are not love the sport of tennis as a game.

AlmostCrimes
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
It's weird, I think any sign of women showing aggression annoys some people. So not all women tennis players are acting completely 1950's 'lady-like' they scream, they get angry, they are aggressive, I think it is fine. They are showing their emotions! As long as they are not doing it deliberately to distract another player, I don't see what the fuss is..

mal
Jun 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
This thread is still alive because it is an important matter. Personally many people are siding on the issue due to personal favorite players. However, I look at it from the perspective of loving the game of tennis. I go to the local club and young girls in their early teens are imitating the screams of the professionals because they look-up to the professionals. (Professionals - I am not linking it with certain names)...This is going to be a problem that will face women's tennis in the future. Like I said earlier I used to love women's tennis and myself like many others have really declined watching women's tennis because of these unnecessary screams. And for a people who love the sport of tennis as a game, instead of worshipping certain players, then this is a problem for the future of women's tennis because it is going to be a trend for future generations. That is a shame. :sad:

That grunting /screaming is just to hide the sound of the ball hitting the strings. It is a professional foul,but not illegal.
Get over it.:tape:

btw? wtfit? maria and I are getting married.

G8Day2bAlive
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Screaming and grunting are an important stuff? Hmm... In this case you are not love the sport of tennis as a game.

Who are you to tell me if I love the sport as a game? :lol: Seriously I want women's tennis to be respected and gain fans, but many fans are turning away from women's tennis because of this matter. It is an aspect of the game of tennis that turns people away from the sport by not attending matches or watching it on tv. I have been to plenty of tournaments, where it has been women's and men's tennis, and just mens tennis. I have been at a mens tennis tournaments and I have overheard and talked to many fans that are glad that it isn't a co-ed tournament they don't have to sit through screaming match tennis. Just like me many of the people have mentioned they used to love women's tennis. Open your eyes if you don't think that is true because it is!... So yes I am a fan of the sport because I DO want it to maintain and gain popularity and this is an aspect that turns people away.

pav
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Boomboom Bloody Boris shouldn't bonk bitches in the broomcupboard!
While Sharky makes a noise that would put a seagull to shame, some of the doodle swingers make a hell of a racket (npi) bloody old Guga used to sound like a gutshot red stag and plenty more get in on the act,but no word of complaint from the commentators about those noisy buggers:fiery:

fifiricci
Jun 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I agree with the lovely Boris. Trouble is, it's too late to get the shrieking one to stop now. It should have been smacked out of her when she was developing as a player and I don't understand frankly how that didn't happen.

I don't care what her fans say, the shrieking is gamesmanship, designed to put off opponents. Pure and simple. All the shrieking one's successes have to be tempered by that fact.

spiritedenergy
Jun 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I agree with the lovely Boris. Trouble is, it's too late to get the shrieking one to stop now. It should have been smacked out of her when she was developing as a player and I don't understand frankly how that didn't happen.

I don't care what her fans say, the shrieking is gamesmanship, designed to put off opponents. Pure and simple. All the shrieking one's successes have to be tempered by that fact.

the voice of truth.

G8Day2bAlive
Jun 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM

AMEN!

Serge007
Jun 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Seriously I want women's tennis to be respected and gain fans, but many fans are turning away from women's tennis because of this matter.
Just don't watch Seles, Pierce, Williams, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Safina, Sharapova, Azarenko etc. match. Please.

OsloErik
Jun 15th, 2008, 10:10 AM
The issue isn't about "grunting" being annoying, it's a question of whether it is disruptive to gameplay. And if a player thinks it IS disruptive, they can complain to the umpire, or else they can retaliate. Again, I'd love to see someone play Sharapova (just an example ;) ) and not try to OUT scream her, like Venus did, but just make fun of her EVERY SINGLE POINT, and in between them, by screaming while tying their shoes, bouncing the ball, changing sides, anything. Because what would Sharapova do? She can't complain, not really, without coming off as whiny. She'd just have to suck it up and deal. And the other player would be able to lighten up.

The only top player I can picture doing it is Jankovic. But she'd have to do it EVERY point.

terjw
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
The issue isn't about "grunting" being annoying, it's a question of whether it is disruptive to gameplay. And if a player thinks it IS disruptive, they can complain to the umpire, or else they can retaliate. Again, I'd love to see someone play Sharapova (just an example ;) ) and not try to OUT scream her, like Venus did, but just make fun of her EVERY SINGLE POINT, and in between them, by screaming while tying their shoes, bouncing the ball, changing sides, anything. Because what would Sharapova do? She can't complain, not really, without coming off as whiny. She'd just have to suck it up and deal. And the other player would be able to lighten up.

The only top player I can picture doing it is Jankovic. But she'd have to do it EVERY point.

I think this is a silly suggestion and unfairly asks the player who is not shrieking to do something. Why should the onus be on her? And incidentally when the Israeli crowd made fun of Sharapova in the Fed Cup by shrieking every point - I thought that was funny - but they got slated for it. And that has had no effect on Maria whatsoever. Just made her more determined not to be bullied into changing her ways.

It's shouldn't be up to the innocent party to have to do anything. That's the authorities responsibility. And it's so easy to measure and administer. Far easier for example than whether a player is receiving illegal coaching which is really a grey area.

Incidentally -I do not think it is done deliberately. But I do think it can be controlled when a player gets a warning and there is the threat of next losing a point and then a game. I've watched Maria when she has been quiet and hasn't made an excessive noise.

OsloErik
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think this is a silly suggestion and unfairly asks the player who is not shrieking to do something. Why should the onus be on her? And incidentally when the Israeli crowd made fun of Sharapova in the Fed Cup by shrieking every point - I thought that was funny - but they got slated for it. And that has had no effect on Maria whatsoever. Just made her more determined not to be bullied into changing her ways.

It's shouldn't be up to the innocent party to have to do anything. That's the authorities responsibility. And it's so easy to measure and administer. Far easier for example than whether a player is receiving illegal coaching which is really a grey area.

Incidentally -I do not think it is done deliberately. But I do think it can be controlled when a player gets a warning and there is the threat of next losing a point and then a game. I've watched Maria when she has been quiet and hasn't made an excessive noise.

Well, the player can complain about it if it bothers them. If it doesn't bother them, they don't have to do anything. It's unfair to penalize players for shrieking if it isn't bothering the other player. That's why they allow you to complain about it IF it bothers you.

But if a player had a sense of humor, and wanted to use their opponent's tactic against them...all I'm saying...

Dan23
Jun 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Really...that is :bs: What sort of percentage of kids are you saying would be shrieking in that way? I think it would be extremely low. Its an individual preference and I doubt you could draw on any facts supporting what you're saying. Players grunting has possibly been in the news for at least 20 years and number of pro's doing so has hardly risen above what you would expect considering the amount of physical effort put into the game these days compared to 20+ years ago.

Sefo
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Nadal is just as loud.

Maria Croft
Jun 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Of course it is, without her 'shriek' she wouldn't even have won a single slam, in fact, every player that grunts can't win without it, they should all be banned and they should return their prizemoney and grand slam trophies.

fifiricci
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Of course it is, without her 'shriek' she wouldn't even have won a single slam, in fact, every player that grunts can't win without it, they should all be banned and they should return their prizemoney and grand slam trophies.
Sharapova screams as a matter of course and is an unseemly banshee like shriek. Hers is not a genuine grunt of effort that most players use some of the time and is completely acceptable/natural on those particular points.
:rolleyes:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Him too?
I thought I was the only one she turned down.
still there's still plenty of skin left on the nose. :tape: