PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favourite Grand Slam?

OZTENNIS
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I am sure there have been threads like this before, but I haven't seen any for a while

So take a vote and discuss ;)

I love the Australian Open, not just because it's an Aussie event, but because of the crowd, the atmosphere, the great tennis, the venue and the time of year...

Wimbledon would probably be my second favourite as it is the most prestigous, followed by the US Open. The French is probably my least favourite, but don't get me wrong, I love watching claycourt tennis, it is an art :)

It is great how the four grand slams are so unique and very different from one another...

Mr.Kardashian
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Australian Open - great atmosphere, awesome weather, nice people and good tennis in the best city in the world

Jojo_
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I know just Roland Garros but it's a beautiful tournament !! This year, I go at New York for the US Open and I'm very impatient to discover this tournament.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I voted for the AO!!

I don't know why but I love it so much! I always stay awake the whole 'till I can already go to school, just to not miss one single match!!!

The second one would be the US Open because it's the biggest show of the year that no one wants to miss!

vadin124
Jun 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Wimbledon>>>>>>USO>AO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RG

the quality of matches is always great at Wimbledon, and the atmoshphere is always so relaxed and tennis-like...

this years French Open was a snooze-fest, much like last years, and the year before that, and so on...French Open is always really dull for me...must be the clay

serena williams
Jun 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM
^
^
Agree

For me is Wim>>>>>>Us>>>>>AO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RG

I like Wimby bc I like the weather the atmoshphere...and the crowd

Sometimes rain delay is a problem but it is an identity of wimby can't complain on that..

And I like the fast game of tennis that's why I Like Wim the most and go to the open in the second :woohoo:

about RG I hate the boo from the crowd...that's all

Kworb
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
My favorite is now the US Open, it is a true entertainment event with crazy night matches, great tennis, great atmosphere. A lot of fun!

Next is the Australian Open because I'm always excited to see how the players are doing in the new year. There's hardly any rain and I love the courts.

Third is Wimbledon, players are usually at their best here, but I am not a fan of grass. I also think it's really boring when everyone is wearing white. The weather usually sucks as well.

The Slam that used to be my favorite, Roland Garros, is last. The quality of matches has been appalling since the 90s and it seems like no one can play on clay anymore. Today's top players are all ball bashers and rather than construct a point they always try to hit hard on the lines, which means most rallies end in an unforced error. With Henin's retirement this Slam has exhaled its last breath. Definitely my least favorite now.

miss_molik
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:19 AM
AO, 'cause i get to see it all, and I love seeing the aussies try their hardest, and the crowd is awesome :p Then Wimby, US and RG

Slutati
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
French Open>>>>>Aus Open>>>>>>>>>>>>Us Open>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wimbledon

Destiny
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Wimbledon all the way none come too close to it IMO

:rocker2:

I love that i get such good coverage i love the atmosphere, the rain, the wait the commentators sometime the crowd know when to clap they appericate good tennis when they see it :worship:

Lucas_Arg
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
US Open all the way, night matches, and we can see the best matches of the year there, the quality is soo good.

Ksenia.
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
1 Wimbledon
2 USO
3 RG
4 AO

I love Wimbledon :hearts: Maybe it is old-fashioned and conservative but this is probably the only tournament nowadays with this kind of traditions which come from pretty long ago :)

Renalicious
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Wimbledon or the US Open

lynxy
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Clay makes you play.
Trouble is, the rallies of the really good players go on and on so it's exhausting just watching them!
I think Roland Garros is a bit too close to the main road around the Bois De Boulogne really. I could hear traffic horns and in qualifications I could hear the bin men as well.

OZTENNIS
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Wimbledon miles in front, I expected it to win this, but so far ahead :eek:

I strongly disagree with talk of moving one of the four grand slams to Asia. Asia has produced some competitive players in recent times, but does not come close to rivalling the four GS nations in tennis history or administrative might...

Craigy
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Wimbledon.

Olórin
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Wimbledon

OZTENNIS
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
:lol: Craig, I love your avatar and sig, who is that? I mean what does she do?

Emina.
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. Australian
3. US Open

cypher_88
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM
1. RG
2. Wimby
3. USO
4. AO

Adal
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Wimbledon for me ;)

Mchstnate
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
1.Wimbledon
2.U.S.Open
3.Aussie Open
4.Roland Garros

Dave.
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
They all have their good and bad points. Overall my favourite is probably Wimbledon because I get to actually go to it. Also the atmosphere is great, always a packed crowd and generally the quality of tennis is very good.

I love the Aussie Open aswell- it's the most similar to Wimbledon than the others because of the packed crowds and great atmosphere created. Plus I love the night matches. I just wish they still had rebound ace- it was such a fair surface for everyone which is why there have been so many classic matches there.

The French and US Open are my least favourites but I still love them. It's just they sometimes have empty stadiums for the earlier rounds (especially in Paris) which I think is not acceptable for a Grand Slam. Also the quality of tennis at these two is slightly lower than the other two IMO.

Marionated
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
For some reason I really like the US open; it just looks like a really fun slam to be at. Obviously though I get to see loads of Wimbledon and hardly any of the Australian.

The Kaz
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Australian Open :hearts:
Wimbledon :D
Roland Garros :)
US Open :o

Australian Open has the best atmosphere, courts, facilities and crowd on all the slams by far :D

Dawson.
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
wimbledon by far. it always seems to produce the best matches

USO & AO joint second. i cant choose between them. i love the night matches.

RG last, by quite a distance. this years event was the worst in years. The mens final was a joke, the womens final lacked star quality and there was only a few decent matches. I also hate the crowd at RG. they are worse them football hooligans!

Optima
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Roland Garros, definitely. I love the crowd.

sweetpeas
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Wim>>>>>>Us>>>>>AO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Slutati
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Wim>>>>>>Us>>>>>AO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You don't like Roland Garros sweetpeas?:awww:

DownTheLine21
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
01. US Open
02. Wimbledon
03. Roland Garros
04. Australian Open

austennis
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Wimbledon miles in front, I expected it to win this, but so far ahead :eek:

I strongly disagree with talk of moving one of the four grand slams to Asia. Asia has produced some competitive players in recent times, but does not come close to rivalling the four GS nations in tennis history or administrative might...

i agree the GS are all built on histoy and tradition and to move them would b to destroy this... :mad:

jawadde
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Roland Garros and wimbledon. I can't choose :p

Mchstnate
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
i agree the GS are all built on histoy and tradition and to move them would b to destroy this... :mad:

Right...besides they all seem to get a good crowds and fill up the stadiums well so why would they

TakingTheMichael
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Wimbledon festival

MM :D

hacberto
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I love Wimbledon and the Australian Open

Caz
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Having been to all four Grand Slam's now, I would say, from the point of view of a spectator;
1 Australian Open: easy to buy tickets to, easy to get to from the city centre, nice atmosphere. I never had any problems at all there.
2. Roland Garros: I love Paris and I love the atmosphere of RG. The main problem is with the fiasco over getting tickets and the ticket touts, who are everywhere and obvious and yet never arrested.
3. Wimbledon: It's close to home for me and I like grass court tournaments. It has a nice atmosphere once you are inside. I'm through with going there though since they made getting inside such a hassle. If you are going to be in a queue for 7 hours and even sleep there, it needs to be fun. Now that they are so concerned with marketing (before the free stuff was half the fun, no no-one comes to advertise and if they do anything they give you is later confiscated) and getting as many people through the gates as possible (to do so, not even letting you wait for your friends to pass through security, so you can continue to queue together) it's become far too much hassle, when you can see the same players, only on clay, a couple of weeks beforehand for much less money and much less hassle.
4. US Open: buying tickets is quite easy, but it's very noisy inside and the seats on the outside courts are quite uncomfortable. The good thing, at least when I went was that a ground pass would get byou into most courts except Aurther Ashe. I was only there for a day and a half though, so possibly I would have liked it more had I stayed longer.

shirley
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Wimbledon is my fave. The first tennis match I watched on TV was the Wimbledon final in 1993 between Steffi and Jana and I've never missed a final since.

Indytennis
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I look forward to Wimbledon the most, but voted for and most anxious to one day go to the Aussie Open. The atmosphere and crowd and city just looks awesome and looks like so much fun.

OZTENNIS
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Bump

This thread got lost yesterday

:wavey:

DutchieGirl
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Haven't been to USO yet, but of the other 3 has to be Aussie Open. :D

brayster87
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM
1.Wimbledon (strawberries and cream) :)
2.Australian Open (coz i'm biased)
3.US Open
4.Roland Garros zzzzz

Danči Dementia
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:04 AM
My favorite is Roland Garros...its the best of all slams...even when some people says the French crowd is anoying I think.....:devil: I like them

Andy.
Jun 14th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Roland Garros, definitely. I love the crowd.
You love the Croud at RG :confused::eek:

Mine Go:
1.Australian Open- Its in my country, The Croud is awesome and fair and the fascilities are unmatched. Great weather as well as the rooves. Plus the matches here always seem to be really good. Plus the night matches.

2.Wimbledon- Love the grass court matches and just lovely grounds plus my favs seem to do really well there. There is just something nice and regal about this tournament.

3.US Open- not far behind Wimbledon. Awesome grounds, fantastic atmosphere and croud and the fact that there are night matches. There is also a bit more excitement, glitz and glamous at this tournament.

4.RG- By far my least favourite slam. Dont like the surface and the croud is beyond rude and think there are above the rules of tennis etiquette. Not a welcoming and warm atmosphere like the other slams.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 14th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Surface-wise, I like US Open most. It's the most equal amongst the top players, and it was nice having a fast hardcourt surface. Now it's slowed down a bit...oh well.

It's tough to pick between Wimbledon and US Open. Never cared for AO, and the tennis in Paris is generally boring, despite clay being my fave surface.

For its night matches, I'm picking USO.