PDA

View Full Version : Does this confirm Dokic is playing qualies at Wimbledon?

~Eclipsed~
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:18 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/beijing2008/two-may-carry-games-hopes/2008/06/11/1212863737970.html

"Molik received a wildcard in 2006, soon after her return from vestibular neuronitis, but will this year need to qualify. Joining her at Roehampton next week will be Jelena Dokic."

Sounds like they know something we don't. Either way i hope they are right and she plays at Wimbledon.:hearts:

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:24 AM
The Age is a reliable source, I would say yes Jelena Dokic got into the Qualies of Wimbledon somehow :shrug:

aussie_fan
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't be sure, read further on in the article

After grinding his way through qualifying for this week's Queen's Club tournament, Australia's Joseph Sirianni is prepared to do the hard yards again for Wimbledon later this month. While Sirianni entered Queen's holding out faint hope of gaining a wildcard entry to Wimbledon, starting on June 23, his 6-3, 6-2 Queen's second-round exit to eighth-seeded Croat Ivo Karlovic was unlikely to be enough.

how on earth would joe even been considered for a wildcard at wimbledon. I wouldn't be so sure they know exactly what they are talking about

AUSBOY
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Anyone can request a Wildcard! Good on Joe for having a crack! They have granted some strange wildcards before to non-singles players like Bhupathi, so why not! He is a Commonwealth Player which gives him preference over a lot of other players

Mr.Kardashian
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM
If he had gone deep into the draw he would have had a chance at a WC... not the case however

Slutati
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
I hope so:) Jelena in white on grass:hearts::sobbing:

switz
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:13 AM
i would be surprised if they didn't give her a qualifying wildcard. She on the rise and she has a pretty well established history with the tournament having made the semis and quarters knocking out the no.1 seed as a 17 year old.

If they're giving Suarez Navarro a maindraw wildcard with basically no grasscourt record i don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a qualifying one for Dokic.

switz
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM
although having said i don't think The Age would have done much research on the Dokic situation. They probably just figured because she's not ranked highly enough to get straight in she will be have to qualify. I doubt they considered she might not be ranked highly enough to get into qualifying. There are very few journos working for major Australian newspaper that are actually writing only about tennis. they are generally focused on a number of sports so less likely to know that much beyond the big issues.

LucasArg
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Maybe she is playing in the qualies?

I just hope she goes to Wimbledon. I really want to see her back at top, as soon as it can.

Golovinjured.
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
It does lift my hopes a little more, but I won't get too excited until Wimbledon announces it - which I hope is soon! She'd have to be up there with the favourites for a WC wouldn't she?

DokicForever
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I hope this is true :)

Randriantastic!
Jun 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
although having said i don't think The Age would have done much research on the Dokic situation. They probably just figured because she's not ranked highly enough to get straight in she will be have to qualify. I doubt they considered she might not be ranked highly enough to get into qualifying. There are very few journos working for major Australian newspaper that are actually writing only about tennis. they are generally focused on a number of sports so less likely to know that much beyond the big issues.
Actually, Linda Pearce is in fact a tennis journo, so I would say she's a credible source.

austennis
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM
the age is relialbe source for all info...i dont think they would print this without fact
gooodluck jelena and alicia

switz
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
the age is relialbe source for all info...i dont think they would print this without fact
gooodluck jelena and alicia

it was a fact then she would have said "Dokic has is going to be awarded a qualifying wildcard". That would be a fact.

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't be sure, read further on in the article

how on earth would joe even been considered for a wildcard at wimbledon. I wouldn't be so sure they know exactly what they are talking about

Joe just thrashed Alex Bogdanovic last week and he got a wildcard,(his 7th) so surely Joe is a better bet ?

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
No, but it gave me a little more hope.

cn ireland
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I really really hope this is true:). Don't want to get too excited though until its confirmed by Wimbledon.

DownTheLine21
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I don't understand why she wouldn't be given a QWC. Who else deserves one over her?

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I don't understand why she wouldn't be given a QWC. Who else deserves one over her?
I think her health might be the bigger question right now.