PDA

View Full Version : What do we feel about mixed Eastbourne event from 2009

mn73
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'm really against it and wrote an email to the LTA today about it. Wonder if they will answer.
I'm not against mixed tournaments but Eastbourne regularly attracts Top 10 players (if they don't pull out!) while the men's tournament at Nottingham which is the slot that will move here does not. Last year Richard Gasquet, ranked 11, was the top seed with the No.2 seed ranked 28. (Nottingham is to become a challenger event the same week as/instead of Surbiton).
I really don't like the idea of paying for centre court to have to watch no-name men's players interrupting the top-level women's event.
Disgruntled :fiery:

-Sonic-
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I'm not a happy bunny either.

Think there might be a big stink about it next week... looking forward to getting into the mix :)

darrinbaker00
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I'm really against it and wrote an email to the LTA today about it. Wonder if they will answer.
I'm not against mixed tournaments but Eastbourne regularly attracts Top 10 players (if they don't pull out!) while the men's tournament at Nottingham which is the slot that will move here does not. Last year Richard Gasquet, ranked 11, was the top seed with the No.2 seed ranked 28. (Nottingham is to become a challenger event the same week as/instead of Surbiton).
I really don't like the idea of paying for centre court to have to watch no-name men's players interrupting the top-level women's event.
Disgruntled :fiery:
Those "no-names" often have the most competitive matches, my friend, especially in the early rounds. Give it a chance. ;)

Caz
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm not convinced it's a good idea, but I'll reserve judgement until next year.

alwayshingis
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
It's not the best situation for the die hard fans because now the women have to share the spotlight with the men. And by 'share the spotlight with' I mean 'inevitably get less attention than'

On the other hand, it is in the best interest of the game in general to have bigger events with more players, more money, and more overall media attention.

Jakeev
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM
To me a mixed Eastbourne is better than no Eastbourne which the venue almost faced. And if Wimbledon is ever pushed back a week, who knows it could become an upgraded important Tier 1 event for the women someday.

Dawson.
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
it being a mixed tournement might actually attract some of the top male names. gonzalez might chose to play there for example if dulko does. moya and pennetta etc.

as for the world class womens field, its not that impressive this year. only 1 top 10 player (and she wont be after this week) - bartoli. mauresmo and davenport are the stars in the draw.

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:18 AM
To me a mixed Eastbourne is better than no Eastbourne which the venue almost faced. And if Wimbledon is ever pushed back a week, who knows it could become an upgraded important Tier 1 event for the women someday.

I agree, because if Eastbourne was to get the chop then it was just a matter of time until Birmingham and the Ordina Cup get the chop. Who knows in 10 years time there may be no Wimbledon!

Dave.
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Every year I see that Eastbourne has no problems with selling tickets- the stadium is packed all the time :shrug: Having a men's event there cannot do the tournament much better.

All the men will do is take over the centre court and tv coverage.

PointBlank
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:09 AM
different ranked tournaments always happen, not every one is a miami or indian wells.

moscow is a much larger womens tournament than mens. the mens tournament in memphis is also a larger tournament than the womens.

ASP0315
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Absolutely terrible idea.

tommyk75
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm against this, too. It's like what happened with New Haven. It was a wonderful WTA event, and they had to merge with the men, and of course, TV only showed James Blake matches. It seems like whenever there is a co-ed event, the women end up getting the short end of the stick. Also, has anyone heard the rumors of Charleston being merged, too? Ugh...

416_Man
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I agree, because if Eastbourne was to get the chop then it was just a matter of time until Birmingham and the Ordina Cup get the chop. Who knows in 10 years time there may be no Wimbledon!

Congratulations, you've written the dumbest post of the day!

aussie_fan
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:15 AM
sydney is like that with a super strong women's field and not as strong men's field, doesn't bother me, i always like both the same

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I have "mixed" feelings about it.