PDA

View Full Version : Marion could miss Wimbledon

Marionated
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
After her loss she said something like her wrist is really painful (and it's been bothering her since the French open) and that it isn't a situation where she wants to be on court.
Well, it looks like the haters won't get the satisfaction of seeing her lose her points by losing a match since it's likely she won't even get a chance to try and defend them.

Marcell
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM
BARTOLI FACING WIMBLEDON KO

Marion Bartoli is a doubt for Wimbledon after aggravating a wrist injury in her opening match of the DFS Classic in Birmingham.

The 23-year-old French number one, who was runner-up to Venus Williams at SW19 last year, was beaten 5-7 6-4 6-0 by Petra Cetkovska, of the Czech Republic, in her first match of the year on grass.

The world number 10, who was elevated to top seed at Edgbaston following the withdrawal of defending champion Jelena Jankovic, won a difficult first set against Cetkovska and then began to feel pain from the tendonitis that first flared at Strasbourg on the eve of the French Open last month.

Instead of retiring, Bartoli continued in the match but clearly had little appetite for the battle and, from 4-4 in the second set, she lost eight games in a row to crash out of the tournament.

She now looks certain to withdraw from next week's £300,000 International Women's Open at Eastbourne and admits she may have to miss Wimbledon.

"My wrist is still bothering me since the French Open," she said. "It's really painful and it's really not a situation where I want to stay on court.

"I had it in Strasbourg and it's come back. I never know how I will be when I go on court or how long it's going to be hurting.

"It was fine until the middle of the second set. It's hard if I'm not 100% to be really focused."

Bartoli added: "It seems like 2008 doesn't want me to be in great shape. I am always having illness or injury. There is always something in my body and it's hard to compete at the best level.

"It is tendonitis and it's starting to hurt more. I had the same with my knee last year.

"Missing a grand slam, especially Wimbledon, would be a huge disappointment.

"I am particularly disappointed because last year I played almost the whole year. It was only in the last two weeks that I had any problem but this year there is always something."

Bartoli's exit leaves world number 19 Nicole Vaidisova as the clear favourite to lift the Birmingham title. She booked a place in the third round with a 6-1 6-3 win over Nathalie Dechy.

If, as seems likely, Bartoli fails to make a quick recovery, her absence will be another major blow for Eastbourne, which lost world number one Ana Ivanovic earlier today due to a muscle injury.

Ivanovic, who moved top of the rankings after winning the French Open last week, pulled out of the Wimbledon warm-up event citing a right abductor problem.

The 20-year-old Serb also admits, however, that she would like a break after her exertions at Roland Garros.

Ivanovic said: "I have a problem with my abductor. I am also mentally exhausted after the French Open - I am not ready to compete so soon after winning my first grand slam."

Mikey.
:eek:

serenus_2k8
Well then she would still lose her points.

I forgot her wrist! Hope it heals but it seems unlikely!!!

Marionated
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for doing that.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Good news!:) At least she will gain points in Wimbledon next year.:D

Mikey.
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Good news!:) At least she will gain points in Wimbledon next year.:D

:o:o:o :rolleyes:

Slutati
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
The same thing was said before RG, that she's injured and could withdraw:rolleyes: She'll play.

Matt01
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Instead of retiring, Bartoli continued in the match but clearly had little appetite for the battle

:bolt:

hablo
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
:sad:

Apoleb
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
That's what happens when you beat Justine in the Wimbledon semi. She should've known better.

ChampLindsay
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
yeahhh, finally strawberrys for the other players:lol::tape::help:

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think the fact that her game and training methods are so unorthodox is showing on her body now. Its sad cause the girl is so talented and nice, but a human's body isn't a machine. Her technique is so hard on the wrist, playing two handed on the forehand is to start with, and the fact she returns being so close to the service line means that she is receiving faster balls, therefore more shock.

I wish her the best.

shrOOf
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM

:haha: :spit: :sobbing:

Maryamator
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
bleh:yawn:

hankqq
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I do think her playing style is causing her wrist injuries-hopefully they won't be career threatening. I first remember seeing her shake her wrists after facing Venus at Wimbledon last year. She didn't have to play any huge servers on her way to the final, but Venus' serves were too much for her. I realize it's her game to stand close to the baseline to return, but if she times it wrong (and it's easy to do if she's playing a big server) her wrists are going to get wrecked.

One would think her DOCTOR FATHER would have her do a lot of wrist/forearm/elbow exercises to increase both flexibility and strength in those areas. Additionally, the fact the he thinks she plays better fat and out of shape is absurd to me. What kind of a doctor is he anyway?

ASP0315
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
i hope not

RenaSlam.
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
The Tennis Gods are showing no mercy.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Marion :hug:

ce
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:59 PM

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I was at the match today and she didnt call the trainer and was hitting the ball so hard in the third set, it was just going two foot long. She certainly wasnt showing any pain in her wrists.

Renalicious
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Dawson.
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM
great, eastbourne now has zero top 10 players!!! worse tier 2 line up in history?

partbrit
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Her official site has disappeared, too. And there is a webmaster change at her fan site.

Mchstnate
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Bartoli is the most overrated player. When she got in the top 10 she did nothing to show she was a top ranking

esdee
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
great, eastbourne now has zero top 10 players!!! worse tier 2 line up in history?

Kuznetsova is late entry.

Langers
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Nice work by the journo.

FrenchY52
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, big tendonitis on her knee last year. She reached the Semi in Linz that week. Obviously she said it came back when she lost. Poor Marion.

BartoliBabes
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM
i feel relief

Iceland
Jun 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I was at the match today and she didnt call the trainer and was hitting the ball so hard in the third set, it was just going two foot long. She certainly wasnt showing any pain in her wrists.
Maybe it was to finish the point as quickly as possible. I saw the last game through TBE videos, she is hitting too flat, no wonder on why she makes so many UE. Her return of serve is so bad, she is the shadow of herself.

austennis
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
aww marion that would b sad 4 u but mayb u neeed a rest?

rockstar
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
well, at least if she does she'll lose her points with dignity :o