PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham R2 - (Q) Y. Shvedova def. K. O'Brien. 7:5, 1:6, 7:5

Dawson.
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
katie was sooooo close to making it two brits in the third round, but it wasn't meant to be.

paul_masterton
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
disappointing. Should never have needed a third set, Katie should have won the first, she had break points in every game but the first and last :rolleyes:

nice fightback from 2-5 in the third, but couldn't keep the momentum going. Disappointing to be broken in the final game

TS
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
She was also very close to making it two Brits in the top 100. Had she won this match, she would've been in. Only a few points away :(

Poor Katie...she now has loads of points to defend at Eastbourne and Wimbledon!

Dawson.
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
yeah she has 110 points to defend over eastbourne and wimbledon - and if she doesnt defend them, she will drop to about 160 in the world. :sad:

on the plus side she doesnt have many points to defend for the rest of the summer
$50k Vancouver R2 - 5 points
LA Qual R1 - 1 point
Toronto Qual R1 - 1 point
US Open Qual R1 - 2 points
= 9 points to defend :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Well done Yari. :woohoo:

It is great the see Yari finally winning a really tight competitive match, it has been a while.

When Yari lost that 5-2 3rd set lead things were looking very dicey. Great to see Yari stick in there and find a way to pull out the 7-5 in the 3rd set victory.

This win will do Yari a lot of good. :hug:

Poova
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Yari coming back into form at long last on the grass. :woohoo:

Please keep winning :D

Slutiana
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Katie blew it..

Wintermute
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44738000/jpg/_44738126_katie203.jpg

British number two O'Brien fought hard but ended up losing 7-5 1-6 7-5 to Russian qualifier Yaroslava Shvedova.

"I might have frozen on big points. I was a bit pensive and wasn't swinging the way I'm capable of," she said.

O'Brien lost the first set despite her opponent needing treatment for a back problem, but hit back in style to send the match into a final set. However, Shvedova was always ahead in the decider and came through to win a match which lasted two hours.

"Obviously, I'm bitterly disappointed because I didn't play a bad match," added O'Brien. "I did a lot of things well. I created quite a few opportunities but wasn't quite able to take them."

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7448571.stm)

serenus_2k8
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Oh Katie...I really thought u had it after the 2nd :(

Never mind, where next for her? ? ? She will be at Eastbourne I assume?

Europe rocks
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Katie aaaaaaaaah! Should have broken in the first. Great final set comeback, but once again the nerves hitting in the important moments. GL for the rest of the season

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM
so pleased for Yari :woohoo: :) :yeah:
saw 1st set then left to see Sori, checked score after 10 mins and it was 0-4 in 2nd :o
saw 3rd set, Yari played much better ;)

Yari had an injury timeout at *6-5 in 1st set for back trouble :(

Shepster
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
so pleased for Yari :woohoo: :) :yeah:
saw 1st set then left to see Sori, checked score after 10 mins and it was 0-4 in 2nd :o
saw 3rd set, Yari played much better ;)
It was very much Shvedova playing crap than Katie doing anything special in the second set ;).

Arthus
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
What a great win for Yari. It was important for her self-confidence. Now everthing is possible. Good luck Yari for your next match!