PDA

View Full Version : Court versus Evert and Navratilova

LegendsofTennis
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Head-to-Head comparisons at the ITF site. Both Evert and Navratilova have winning records over Margaret Court.

Results are as follows:

Margaret COURT (AUS) v Chris EVERT (USA)

1973 French Open Clay (O) FR Margaret COURT 6-7 7-6 6-4
1973 Wimbledon Grass (O) SF Chris EVERT 1-6 6-1 1-6
1973 US Open Grass (O) SF Margaret COURT 7-5 2-6 6-2
1977 Hollywood FR Chris EVERT 3-6 4-6
1977 Chicago FR Chris EVERT 1-6 3-6

Chris EVERT (USA) leads 3 : 2

Martina NAVRATILOVA (USA) v Margaret COURT (AUS)

1974 AO QF Nav. 64 63
1975 Chicago F Court 63 36 63
1975 Boston SF Nav. 36 61 64
1975 Wim QF Court 63 64
1975 USO QF Nav. 64 62
1976 Sydney QF Nav. 63 64
1977 L.Angeles SF Nav. 57 64 64

Martina NAVRATILOVA (USA) leads 5 : 2

Chunchun
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:13 AM
fair enough to compare Magaret Court's twilight tennis year with years Evert and Martina was rising?

LegendsofTennis
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:29 AM
fair enough to compare Magaret Court's twilight tennis year with years Evert was rising?

Actually the first time Evert beat Court was in 1970, the year Court won the Grand Slam and was ranked #1.

Evert beat Court at a tournament in North Carolina and late in her career, talked about how composed Young Chrissy was during her win over "Mighty Big Maggie".

Rollo
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The ITF records are incomplete-Court played Evert more than 5 times. For complete records come visit us at the Blast From the Past-the section of the board devoted to women's tennis history.

Hope to see you there!:)

http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

thrust
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Court was a thirty year old Mother when she beat Evert in that FO final. She was born in 1942.By 75 or 76 Court had another child. Evert never competed after giving birth. Anything from 74 on is not a fair comparison.

laschutz
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
true, not really fair comparing a mid 1970's margaret with a on the rise chrissie and an even younger martina. it's like comparing 35 year old chrissie when she was playing steffi in steffi's grand slam 1988 year and chrissie's last year on the tour 1989 and/or a very young hungry seles.

plus as someone mentioned i think the head to head are wrong. i think chrissie had a bigger head to head edge over margaret then 3-2, then played more matches than that for sure! heck in 1973 alone the played at least 3 matches.

so hard to compare a mid 1970's past her prime margaret with a very young new number 1 chrissie and an even younger nowhere close to how great she would soon be martina!

put margaret in her prime years of the 1960's and early 1970's against a prime chrissie ( complete with graphite racket and more all around harder hitting game) and the ultimate specimen serve and volleyer martina of the 1980's!

much can be said of what if 1) margaret in her prime age was put smack dab in the mid 1980's margaret had the powerful rackets of the 1980's and what if 2)margaret in her day the strongest best conditioned player had the 1980's fitness techniques and diet could she have been martina's equal?

in regard to martina didnt' she have the most problems even in her dominating years playing against serve and volleyers (sukova, shriver, mandlikova (i.e. more all around than sukova and shriver)

i personally think chrissie could handle court perhaps slightly better than martina would have all things considered (i.e. margaret prime age in the 1980's with graphite racket and even better strength and conditiong)

not only did chrissie at 15 beat margaret but even in margaret's still prime years 1970 to 1973 they were pretty much even. there is absolutely no comparison of a 1970 to 1973 chrissie and a mid 1980's chrissie. the later chrissie would have killed early chrissie! by then chris was a far more all around player, hit harder, better shape,faster, stronger,etcetera.

even if given margaret in her prime age the 1980's props like i mentioned she i think would only have improved some 25 percent or so. while chrissie improved at least 50 percent from her earlier self! also add in the fact that if chrissie faced the greatest serve and volleyer of all time in martina, she could handle margaret's serve and volley. however, then again margaret did have a all around game. the question with that is who had a better all around game prime margaret or the later in her prime martina?

plus add in the mentality factor, even very young chrissie was never intimidated by margaret so i doubt she would have been later intimidated by a margaret placed in the 1980's. i think martina would have mentally been more worried. however, perhaps not, by the time of martina's dominating years no one could intimate her anymore.

my final take the best ever chrissie and martina against the best ever margaret if margaret was put in the 1980's with a better racket and etcetera : chrissie over margaret on clay, hard court, a very slight edge on indoor carpet and perhaps even on grass.

martina over margaret very slightly on clay, more so on hard court and indoor court and very sligtly on grass.