PDA

View Full Version : Olympics entry list: when?

clonesheep
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Now that French Open is over, isn't it supposed to be the time for all countries to settle their Olympics entry lists? When is the deadline, and any website for us to check?

I am curious if Safina would replace Chakvetadze. The doubles entries would also be interesting.

Meelis
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
National Associations/NOCs have until 23 June to confirm the entry of players eligible for direct acceptance and to return the application form for ITF places. At the same time, National Associations/NOCs will nominate doubles teams for the Olympic Tennis Event. The ITF will announce the full list of entries on 2 July.

drake3781
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM
National Associations/NOCs have until 23 June to confirm the entry of players eligible for direct acceptance and to return the application form for ITF places. At the same time, National Associations/NOCs will nominate doubles teams for the Olympic Tennis Event. The ITF will announce the full list of entries on 2 July.

Thanks.

kittyking
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
According to good source I can say that the cutoff for the womens direct entry list this year was 67.

Tennis NZ have backed Marina, and have sent the application form to the NZOC. It's not expected to pass without alot of media interference (as she is not top 16 in the world), but we'll see how things go :scared:

Pasta-Na
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:09 AM
i thought after FO :shrug:

alwayshingis
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:35 AM
According to good source I can say that the cutoff for the womens direct entry list this year was 67.

:confused:

I thought Kateryna Bondarenko was the #56 eligible player. She is ranked #69 in the world at the cut-off.

kittyking
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
:confused:

I thought Kateryna Bondarenko was the #56 eligible player. She is ranked #69 in the world at the cut-off.

News overnight from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) is that the international cut-off rankings for the Olympic tennis events are 67 for women and 73 for men.

:rolleyes:

sunsfuns
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:59 AM
News overnight from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) is that the international cut-off rankings for the Olympic tennis events are 67 for women and 73 for men.

Do you know who has elected not to go (instead of not being able to because too many from the same country)?

Pasta-Na
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:13 AM

changing all the time :o

alwayshingis
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:30 AM

So do we know what accounts for the discrepancy?

kittyking
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Do you know who has elected not to go (instead of not being able to because too many from the same country)?

I heard in another thread that Kata Srebotnik doesn't plan to go to the Olympics, although she would still be given an Official Invite.

As far as I know no one has officially rejected their invitation as at today

http://www.tennisnz.com/Article.aspx?Mode=1&ID=1745

kittyking
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
So do we know what accounts for the discrepancy?

Everyone who is eligable for the Olympics was sent an invite, so if there is any players with a protected ranking in the 67 (even if they haven't played on tour for over a year now) will make up for the discrepancy.

clonesheep
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Good job guys. Keep us updated.

I hope Kateryna Bondarenko will make it to singles. She will definitely play doubles with her sister, though.

alwayshingis
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Everyone who is eligable for the Olympics was sent an invite, so if there is any players with a protected ranking in the 67 (even if they haven't played on tour for over a year now) will make up for the discrepancy.

Thanks.

AUSBOY
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Assuming that Katarina Srebotnik, Na Li and Eleni Danilidou aren't playing, and Stosur and Zheng are using their protected ranks, the cut off should become 71!

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Assuming that Katarina Srebotnik, Na Li and Eleni Danilidou aren't playing, and Stosur and Zheng are using their protected ranks, the cut off should become 71!

Marina Erakovic may not make it as well, and there are a few others who the nations olympic committee may stop.

clonesheep
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:21 AM

If players who have protected ranking decide to enter, then that will squeez out some other players. It doesn't seem that the cut off will be increased to 71, because there's a fixed 56 spots for direct entry. They will not create additional spots for players with protected ranking.

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM
If players who have protected ranking decide to enter, then that will squeez out some other players. It doesn't seem that the cut off will be increased to 71, because there's a fixed 56 spots for direct entry. They will not create additional spots for players with protected ranking.

I'm not sure what your trying to say

When you take into account that there is maximum of 4 players per nation in singles, plus the 3 players who have protected rankings (Sequera, Stosur, unsure about the other one) then you get to the magic 67. Once you take out Katarina Srebotnik, Na Li, Eleni Danilidou and the myster protected ranking player then it gets to number 71.

As much as I hate to say it Ausboy is correct here, there is no disputing that :shrug:

AUSBOY
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Players with protected ranks have already been sent invites I think, and are already included in the cut off of 67.

There are 13 players ineligible in the top 67 due to them not being in the top 4 of their country. That means that 2 players have used special-protected rank, as entry. Stosur, Sequera and Zheng are the 3 players who have a top 100 protected rank I believe. I may be wrong about Zheng though. Can anyone confirm the injury-protected ranks??

sunyafei
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Li will definitely play:rolleyes:

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Players with protected ranks have already been sent invites I think, and are already included in the cut off of 67.

There are 13 players ineligible in the top 67 due to them not being in the top 4 of their country. That means that 2 players have used special-protected rank, as entry. Stosur, Sequera and Zheng are the 3 players who have a top 100 protected rank I believe. I may be wrong about Zheng though. Can anyone confirm the injury-protected ranks??

I read an article about a week ago where it quoted something along the lines off 'every player who has a protected ranking will be offered a spot in the Olympics, then it will be up to the countries National Association and National Olympic Committee to decide whether they should be selected to participate at the games'

Stosur and Sequera definately have a protected rank within the top 67, I think Karolina Sprem has a protected ranking of 89 - no idea about Zheng. I sort of hope that Zheng doesn't play in Beijing though, she doesn't stand a chance at winning a gold medal and I'm a bit scared of the Chinese officials :scared:

RND
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
So Chan will either be just in or just miss the cut. :scared:

hellas719
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Srebotnik said that she wouldn't play, but Li should because it is in her native country, unless her injury is that bad, and Daniilidou should be coming back soon.

alwayshingis
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
So Chan will either be just in or just miss the cut. :scared:

She will get in. It looks like she will only need a few withdrawals...and who knows who will be injured by that point.

If she misses out she will JUST miss the cut, probably as Next-In, so that would be a shame.