PDA

View Full Version : Alan Mills:“The suspension she (Hingis) is serving is totally wrong.

petkoan
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Martina Hingis should not be banned

Jun 10 2008

by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

AS one of the most respected figures in Wimbledon’s history, Alan Mills’ views on the most thorny subjects in tennis are always worth listening to.

During the 23 years he was tournament referee at SW19, Mills became someone the players trusted, the man from Formby’s easy going manner, coupled with his ability to make the right decisions at the right times, meant he got to know the top performers well.

So it is significant, then, to hear his opinions on Martina Hingis.

When it was announced earlier this year that the five-time Grand Slam winner would be one of the main attractions at the Liverpool international, there were some rumblings of disquiet.

Hingis, after all, had just been banned from competitive tennis for two years after she provided a positive test for cocaine at Wimbledon last summer. In Liverpool’s Capital of Culture year critics wondered what message that sent out.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

But Hingis has maintained her innocence throughout: “I have tested positive but I have never taken drugs. I would personally be terrified of taking drugs,” she said at the time of the ban, and she will be heartened that Mills feels the same.

What’s more, he believes the tussles between her and Jana Novotna at Calderstones Park this week – a repeat of the 1997 Wimbledon final, which Hingis won – will be a highlight and hopes the ‘Swiss Miss’ will become a frequent visitor to these parts in the future.

“I’m delighted to see Martina here,” said Mills, who first officiated at Calderstones in 2006. “Having retired twice under difficult circumstances, it’s great to see her back.

“Hopefully, she will play a lot more of this type of tennis.

“The suspension she is serving is totally wrong. Somewhere down the line, something has happened.

“I simply don’t believe she took anything. I really don’t. There’s no reason for her to have done it.

“She’d come back and was doing reasonably well. So it will be good to see her again. And with Jana coming as well it adds a different dimension.

“It will be great to catch up with her, too. I used to have a great rapport with the players and I couldn’t just give this up.”

Which is why he is looking forward to the next few days.

Casting his eye over the programme, he concurs with the view of tournament director Anders Borg that this year’s event has the potential to be the best yet.

Of course, he will also be looking anxiously to the skies, but even if there are showers, they will not dampen this sprightly 72-year-old’s enthusiasm.

“If the weather co-operates, you have probably got the best feast of tennis that you could have anywhere – the whole spectrum,” said Mills.

“We’ll have 5,000 juniors coming through the doors to attend coaching clinics. You then have the inter-city junior matches, the ATP and WTA players playing serious tennis and, to top it all, you have Mansour Bahrami providing the entertainment.

“You cannot fail to find something that will interest you.

“This is my third year here and I am amazed at how things have developed.

“To see the workrate and effort that goes into getting the complex ready is phenomenal.”

There may have been some disappointment that 2006 winner Xavier Malisse pulled out of the Men’s event recently, but Mills does not see the Belgian’s absence taking any gloss off the tournament.

He is particularly looking forward to seeing 15-year-old Australian Bernard Tomic in action and, with Borg so adept at unearthing players of vast potential, Mills expects the International to go from strength to strength.

“From what I have heard he is going to be a star,” said Mills. “But this is what happens here.

“The players love to come. If you could guarantee good weather, you would get a lot more players crying to come here.

“You can get as much grass court practice as you need and want. If, for example, you go to Queen’s, your practice is restricted because there are lots of matches on and you can’t practice at Wimbledon until a week before.

“I take my hat off to the groundstaff. What they produce in such a limited time is quite incredible.

“Looking at it, it’s in great condition. If the forecast is good and we can get some heat on the courts, they will get better and better.”

petkoan
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I think this is very telling about the nature of Hingis's suspension. It was not about drugs obviously.

kiwifan
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I think this is very telling about the nature of Hingis's suspension. It was not about drugs obviously.

Yes, clearly she knew too much and they were trying to silence her. :scared:

Ryan
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know if she did it or not, but its cool to see tennis VIP's standing behind her.

tequila
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Clearly Hingis gave Mills some of her crack.

CORIA01
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I Think Martina Is Innocent

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
It is wrong. Hingis is innocent.

Matt01
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Clearly Hingis gave Mills some of her crack.

Or Mills gave it to Hingis in the first place ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I can't say for sure whether Hingis was innocent of taking cocaine but I do know that either way the punishment received is wholly inappropiate. In no way can cocaine be seriously considered a performance enhancing drug and as such to ban her for two years for it's use is ridiculous.

markdelaney
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Adrian Mutu (Romanian footballer) tested positive for Cocaine and only served a few months suspension and is currently playing in the european championships.

Players eat and drink in restaurants etc. It wouldn't be too hard to slip something in.

petkoan
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hingis is back on court this week. We will see her new sponsors.. (clothing and rackets)

young_gunner913
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Adrian Mutu (Romanian footballer) tested positive for Cocaine and only served a few months suspension and is currently playing in the european championships.

Players eat and drink in restaurants etc. It wouldn't be too hard to slip something in.

So someone slipped her some coke and made her happy meal extra happy?

I doubt that very much.

According to the drug test: she's guilty. That's what we have to go by unfortunately.

Stamp Paid
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I think the purpose of her punishment was to serve as an example to other cokewhores, past present and future.

Zébulon
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
“Somewhere down the line, something has happened."
:tape:
I'm sorry, I stopped at that line. :lol:

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Martina's totally used crack here

oPmjMPWRCBo

harloo
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Let's face it, Hingis partied and got caught up with Coke. It's not really shocking when you're young, rich, and don't have a care in the world. Hingis is really in denial and should just come out like Marion Jones and admit to taking drugs. I know this is hard for her fans to accept but the fact remains that she was caught. I've heard many former players and even some legends trying to defend her but their ramblings are worthless. I would forgive Hingis if she admitted to it because I realize that none of these young ladies are perfect. She wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs like Sesil so I don't see what the problem is with her confessing? :)

young_gunner913
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Let's face it, Hingis partied and got caught up with Coke. It's not really shocking when you're young, rich, and don't have a care in the world. Hingis is really in denial and should just come out like Marion Jones and admit to taking drugs. I know this is hard for her fans to accept but the fact remains that she was caught. I've heard many former players and even some legends trying to defend her but their ramblings are worthless. I would forgive Hingis if she admitted to it because I realize that none of these young ladies are perfect. She wasn't taking performance enhancing drugs like Sesil so I don't see what the problem is with her confessing? :)

:worship:

Vlover
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Somewhere down the line, something has happened.

Yea, some how a line of coke found its way into Martina's blood stream and she has no idea how it happen.:rolleyes: The rules are made for everyone therefore if this is the established punishment for everyone then why should an exception be made for her.:(

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'd believe it, but the amount found was so minimal that it could just be an anomaly, and the hair test was negative. But even if she used it, I wouldn't mind if she was careful enough not to get addicted.

hankqq
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Here's my problem: Both Coria and Rusedski were initially found guilty of using performance enhancing drugs. Both of them contested this report, took it to court and won their cases. Every other player who was found with enhancing performance drugs in his/her system was found to be guilty and suspended.

Simon LaRose of Canada was banned for using cocaine.

I realize cocaine is not performance enhancing, but it's still a drug. If Hingis truly is innocent, I don't know why she didn't take it to court. She's got more money than either Rusedski or Coria, and if something in the tests was wrong, surely they could find it? I thought the report on her case was made public and the public learned that her samples were tested multiple times with the same positive result?

The fact that she didn't want to at least attempt to prove her innocence in a court of law and just accepted her suspension doesn't sit well with me.

Danči Dementia
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
If Martina hasn´t take this case on court is because she did it. she is guilty and she knows it...if she says she is not guilty why not to take it to court??.....clean her image..I think she should try to clean her image by admiting it in public...or by fighting the case and probe she is innocent...I know it can be very exausting..sbut he is a great champion ....her name will always be remembered in tennis.....so she should do something....mostly for the sake of the million fans she´s got...and for the sake of her memories as a champion....and so that only her tennis skills and achivements will be remembered not because this ugly drug case
Do it Martina :sad:

petkoan
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
If Martina hasn´t take this case on court is because she did it. she is guilty and she knows it...if she says she is not guilty why not to take it to court??.....clean her image..I think she should try to clean her image by admiting it in public...or by fighting the case and probe she is innocent...I know it can be very exausting..sbut he is a great champion ....her name will always be remembered in tennis.....so she should do something....mostly for the sake of the million fans she´s got...and for the sake of her memories as a champion....and so that only her tennis skills and achivements will be remembered not because this ugly drug case
Do it Martina :sad:

Believe me.... person who is guilty in that case won't be back playing tennis infront of the public eye in just 6 months after the thing happened. I mean there is something that is not right, pieces does not fall in their place well..:confused:

markhingis
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Martina's totally used crack here

oPmjMPWRCBo

so Anna did ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Because drug control was not done properly during the mid 1990's and early 2000, Hingis had an easy exit. She cheated the organization(WTA) for long
time. Though it was too late for us to have known about her drug use;
yet we knew now and believed that some of slams wins and many other wins
were drug related perfomance.

Cocaine would not enhance your tennis game for various reasons stated in many past threads on wta world. :wavey:

Hikari
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The puzzling thing is that Hingis tested positive during the Wimbledon championships. At Wimbledon, she had already played three matches. Now, I am not 100% positive if they take urine samples after every match, but I think they do. Apparently, her positive sample was taken during her third round match against Laura Granville. In any case, if she did snort cocaine, she must have done it during her days off between matches. Honestly, it seems really unlikely she went to her hotel corner and bought some powder off a street vendor. Nor is it likely she went clubbing during her days off and someone spiked her drink, because she had been complaining of fatigue and was trying to save energy for her matches after coming back from injury.

I'm not denying she ever took drugs, but that she probably did it during her time off because of injury prior to Wimbledon.

However, I believe there should be different punishment for Hingis and Sesil Karatancheva (Getting pregnant is bollocks!). I think the thing that hurts more than just retiring is her loss of sponsorship from Yonex and Adidas. She really has been a great ambassador for both brands. I know a lot of people who buy Yonex rackets just because Hingis used one.

Just my two cents.

PLP
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Wow, Alan said that. He is great, I am sure he has a good comradery with Martina. For whatever reason you want to give or believe, Martina's 2 year suspension for the amount of coke allegedly in her system is BS, and wouldn't have mattered in any other sport, but it's all irrelevant at this point.

Glad she is back on court, and not hiding her head in the sand. This shows even more proof of innocence IMO, but in any case, I am just excited to see her play.

Come on Martina!!!
:bounce:

Matt01
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Cocaine would not enhance your tennis game for various reasons stated in many past threads on wta world. :wavey:

There's a reason why cocaine is on the dopinglist, though :wavey:

PLP
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM

I think we are all familiar with the blanket policies of the incessant anti-drug propagandizing, I mean how could we not be? :angel:

supergrunt
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Honestly,why is cocaine on the doping list. It is more of a detriment to a player's game than a benfit.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM

It's not for the reason of enhancing your tennis game,which is basically what testing for performance enhancing drugs is all about. There should be a MUCH lighter punishment for recreational drugs.

:wavey:

faboozadoo15
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:14 AM

Ever heard of a false positive? They then took a hair sample from her which came back negative, so how are you to say that she should admit to something she may not have done? Marion is a completely different story. She'd been telling lies for years and had been wrapped up in the same web of a lot of other cheaters. That's not the same.

faboozadoo15
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Yea, some how a line of coke found its way into Martina's blood stream and she has no idea how it happen.:rolleyes: The rules are made for everyone therefore if this is the established punishment for everyone then why should an exception be made for her.:(

:weirdo: Do you have any idea how they test for banned substances? It's not like they dusted some cocaine out from under her nose.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM
:weirdo: Do you have any idea how they test for banned substances? It's not like they dusted some cocaine out from under her nose.

:lol::worship:

Vincent
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Two things:
1. Martina has been abandoned by Yonex and Adidas? :cry: Then I better throw my Yonex out of the window. I will get rid of my adidas outfits too.
:(
2. Martina, just come prove all the haters wrong!

alex14
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:19 AM
MARTINA!! I LOVE YOU!! i couldnt really give rats ass if she took coke or not, what rich person nowadays doesnt take it?? its pretty much everywhere!! hell, ive even had a model snort it off my stomach during fashion week! big f'ing woop!!
great to have her back though :) Kick some ass again!

homogenius
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Because drug control was not done properly during the mid 1990's and early 2000, Hingis had an easy exit. She cheated the organization(WTA) for long
time. Though it was too late for us to have known about her drug use;
yet we knew now and believed that some of slams wins and many other wins
were drug related perfomance.

Untrue, lame, and just a retarded comment.

Ryan
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Did Yonex and Adidas actually drop Hingis? I find that hard to believe.

homogenius
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:32 AM

While I agree she should have admit it (IF she really took some), it's not comparable with what Marion Jones did (took performance enhancing drugs for years and kept lying again and again...).

Even if Martina actually took coke, I think the ban is too harsh (2 years is ridiculous), but I'm not sure she would have played for long anyway.She had physical issues as well and her results started to be deceptive so i think she would have quit sooner or later.

Xanadu11
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM
The suspension is totally wrong. I get that they have to set an example and they can't exactly ignore players taking illegal substances, but 3 months should be the penalty. Isn't that what Wilander got under the old classification system? I mean that way you have the public humiliation etc, without the huge ramifications because essentially you wearn't actually cheating.

treufreund
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Omg to compare Martina's situation with UBERCHEATER Marion Jones is truly laughable :haha:

treufreund
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Omg to compare Martina's situation with UBERCHEATER Marion Jones is truly laughable :haha:

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM
It doesn't matter what Alan Mills says.

Beat
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Yes, clearly she knew too much and they were trying to silence her. :scared:
:lol:

she was tested positive, there is nothing you can do about it, whether you believe she's (morally) guitly or not. :shrug: