PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Wild Cards Announced

paul_masterton
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Four British women have received wild cards and will join Anne Keothavong in the main draw of the Grand Slam beginning on 23rd June. British number two Katie O’Brien who is through to round two at the WTA event in Birmingham will be playing in her fifth Wimbledon. The 22 year old from Yorkshire won a round at the All England Club last year and, having had an impressive year so far will be hoping to extend her run of form into The Championships.

Elena Baltacha, Mel South and Naomi Cavaday have also received wild cards into the main draw. Amanda Elliott, Anna Fitzpatrick, Georgie Stoop and Sarah Borwell all have the opportunity of joining them, having been given wild cards into the qualifying draw.

Three all British pairs, recommended by the LTA, have received wild cards into the doubles event, Anne Keothavong and Melanie South, Elena Baltacha and Naomi Cavaday and Amanda Elliott and Katie O’Brien will all play in the women’s draw.

Carl Maes, Head of Women’s Tennis, added: “All four girls who have been given main draw wild cards have been performing consistently well and have proved that they can perform well on grass. Those girls in qualifying have also shown me that they can challenge top 100 opposition and stand a good chance of challenging for a place in main draw.”

The wild card play-offs begin on Tuesday 10th June with the finalists in the men’s and women’s draws guaranteed wild cards into Wimbledon qualifying.

FULL LIST

Ladies' singles
Elena Baltacha (GBR)
Naomi Cavaday (GBR)
Katie O’Brien (GBR)
Melanie South GBR
Urszula Radwankska (POL)
Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)
2 x Tba

Just Do It
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
4 MD and 4 Q wc's ? Is that all ? Any WC's left ?

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I hate to say it but Anna Fitzpatrick shouldn't of gotten a QWC. She's been playing awful tennis this year and should of been made to play the WC playoff. At least then she would be able to get some confidence.

CrossCourt~Rally

I would think so. Aren't there usually 8 wcs per draw ??

FORZA SARITA
just 4 wc's?

*hingis_forever*
Probably foreigners.

The Kaz
Where are the other WCs? :unsure:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Where are the other WCs? :unsure:

I guess just the British WCs were announced. The others will probobly be announced when they make a final decision. :)

babsi
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2008-06-10/200806101213108347563.html

paul_masterton
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM
full list posted. There are two spots left.

Doubles wildcards are an absolute joke. Britain have got some really good doubles pairings, and they give it to Bally/Naomi who have played 10 doubles events between them and have played together 3 times :rolleyes:

Just Do It
So, 2 MDWC and 4 QWC left.

Dokic :unsure:

Slutati
No Dokic:speakles: Whatever:rolleyes::sad:

alwayshingis
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Suarez Navarro :o :o

With that impressive grass court record of 0-0

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Carla Suarez got a WC? She'll probably lose 60 60 on grass! :rolleyes:

Iceland
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I really hope that they won't give a MD WC to Ula Radwanska as they are used to doing with the junior winner of the previous year. She has had enough WCs this year & her form has been really terrible.
If I understood well, the 2 finalists of the WC play-off have Q WCs. If so, there would be only 2 other one remaining.

FORZA SARITA
Carla got a MD WC?:eek::lol:

kfh_9118
wondering why did they choose Ula & Carla for the foreigner's WC :confused:

Iceland
OMG They did it. WC to Ula, such a waste again!!!!!!! :smash: She was in Q draw already, that's where she belongs at the moment :o!

CrossCourt~Rally

Youll be happy if one of your faves ( just like me ) faces her in the 1st rd :lol::p.

FORZA SARITA
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I really hope that they won't give a MD WC to Ula Radwanska as they are used to doing with the junior winner of the previous year. She has had enough WCs this year & her form has been really terrible.
If I understood well, the 2 finalists of the WC play-off have Q WCs. If so, there would be only 2 other one remaining.

they did:p

Ladies' singles
Elena Baltacha (GBR)
Naomi Cavaday (GBR)
Katie O’Brien (GBR)
Melanie South GBR
Urszula Radwankska (POL)
2 x Tba

Michaelz
carla suarez navarro??

paul_masterton
AELTC have absolutely no clue so not a massive surprise Carla got one.

2 left are interesting - quite a few players (both british and foreign) in the mix

Just Do It

She already got it, check that link.

In The Zone
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Suarez Navarro was just a RG QF and is now in the top 50 of the rankings .. it's not that outlandish she got a WC. Entry lists close 6 weeks before and with a slam in between, the rankings can definitely change.

Suarez Navarro definitely deserves a spot over let's say ... Rodionova.

Ula earned it based on past rules.

Dokic should get a QWC. Should be interesting! :)

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Youll be happy if one of your faves ( just like me ) faces her in the 1st rd :lol::p.
I guess that's putting a positive spin on it! ;)

TS
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Well Carla is now ranked 49 after her run at RG, so it's not that surprising she got one. Although Marta Marrero was similarly ranked after her RG run in 2000 and still had to play qualies. As for Ula, she won juniors last year and I think Wimbledon reward the junior winner with an MD WC the following year (seems to be an unwritten rule).

I thought Amanda Elliott might've been in with a shot after her impressive form in Birmingham.

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well Carla is now ranked 49 after her run at RG, so it's not that surprising she got one. Although Marta Marrero was similarly ranked after her RG run in 2000 and still had to play qualies. As for Ula, she won juniors last year and I think Wimbledon reward the junior winner with an MD WC the following year (seems to be an unwritten rule).

I thought Amanda Elliott might've been in with a shot after her impressive form in Birmingham.
I'm actually glad Elliott is playing qualifying because she can beat many of the qualifying field and could get alot of points and confidence.

DownTheLine21
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Dokic should definitely be given a QWC. I was under the assumption that she was already getting one.

juki
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Sarah Borwell should have gotten a doubles MD wild card, I'm not sure if they picked the best pairings.

Iceland
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm actually glad Elliott is playing qualifying because she can beat many of the qualifying field and could get alot of points and confidence.
Agree with that. A QWC is perfect for her.
On a side note I'm so happy that Jérémy got one :hearts:!

StephenUK
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I think Carla totally deserved her wild card.I am sure her one-handed backhand won over the old fogeys on that committee who find two-handed backhands rather new-fangled and vulgar, lol! The fact is that she was too low ranked to get into Wimbledon qualifiers last year and so why should she have bothered with the surface? There are virtually no grass ITFs in Europe (the ridiculously popular Surbiton last week and Felixstowe after Wimbledon are the only two I can think of), none this week, compared to two on clay, I don't think you can blame any up and coming player for having no grass experience when there are virtually no events on the surface. I really think the ITF should pull its socks up and get some more grass court events this time of year, Marseille or Zlin should definitely go grass!

Re the Brits - The LTA will only recommend players in the top 250 so that means that they could only give them to 4 players; in the men only 2 of 8 will go to Brits!

That leaves two left - has Cara Black asked again, she must have the record for non-Brit WCs! Karolina Sprem must have a chance - I think Dokic, Stevenson and Lucic's glory days are so far in the past that I think they could only get QWCs.

Tripp
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
No WC for Fitzpatrick/Hawkins in doubles? :confused:

CooCooCachoo
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Suarez Navarro :speakles:

Monica_Rules
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hope one of the brits get Carla. Nice big juicy 60 points.

Alvarillo
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Carla :eek: :kiss:
Wimbledon :lol:

StephenUK
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I think the last two may go to Samantha Stosur and Karolina Sprem. What do you think?

MLF
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Carla got hers as she's a top 50 player now and it wouldn't be right to have someone of that kind of ranking to miss a slam event no matter how unproven their grass court skills are.

I think Sam Stosur will get a wc, leaving one up for grabs.

smokovec
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I think the last two may go to Samantha Stosur and Karolina Sprem. What do you think?

Yes, I agree with you, these 2 players deserves a wild card.

paul_masterton
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
yeah Stosur and Sprem are good bets.

4 qualifying wildcards left, 2 to come from the play-offs. Look for Dokic to get one into that

$uricate
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Carla's gonna tear the draw apart! :armed: With her serve and volley skills she can make at least the quarters, I just hope Serena is ready to feel the full force of the "Carla-Effect"

Cankarlo
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I think it is not a great thing that they are giving so many wildcards to Brits. Wimbledon is the best and the most known tennis tournament in the era. I think so many of them are not deserving those Wc's. They are just recieving for being Brits. Jeelena Dokic can beat all the players that recieved WC,so that means she is deserving more. That's my mentality. I don't want to mean that I love Jelena and has to take the Wc, but so many players out of this list that should recieve the WC. And I don't like to see that much Brits in the WC list. If they are deserving or thinking that they can beat all the players ok ,then give them but pls be realistic!!!

Bartosh
Carla got hers as she's a top 50 player now and it wouldn't be right to have someone of that kind of ranking to miss a slam event no matter how unproven their grass court skills are.

:yeah:

Ula :haha: For her Qualies would be better :o

Highlandman
Please , please , please Brenda for a QWC :o I pray for that :awww:

Monica_Rules
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I think it is not a great thing that they are giving so many wildcards to Brits. Wimbledon is the best and the most known tennis tournament in the era. I think so many of them are not deserving those Wc's. They are just recieving for being Brits. Jeelena Dokic can beat all the players that recieved WC,so that means she is deserving more. That's my mentality. I don't want to mean that I love Jelena and has to take the Wc, but so many players out of this list that should recieve the WC. And I don't like to see that much Brits in the WC list. If they are deserving or thinking that they can beat all the players ok ,then give them but pls be realistic!!!
All the other 4 grandslams give more WC's to home players, so why not the brits? All are top 200 and have good wins against much higher ranked opponents.

And 4 WC's is hardly a lot. I think its the lowest number ever.

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
You obviously don't understand the point of wild cards. It's to give girls an opportunity to compete in their home country when they wouldn't usually get the chance.

Cankarlo
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
But Wimbledon is different. This is not just a regular tournament, and it has to be different elimination to choose a player for it. You have to be good to play there. You have to deserve it. Being homeplayer has not be the thing that make the difference to the other good players. This is not fair at all. (I don't want to see it anywhere the home players take the WC because only being Brit or French or American or whatever... )

markdelaney
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Karolina Sprem doesn't deserve a wildcard and I'd be amazed if they even consider her for one. Mirjana Lucic didn't get a wildcard just 2 years after being a semi finalist and Karolina's form hasn't exactly merited it.

FORZA SARITA
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM

4 MD WCs to brits are too much?:weirdo:

Drake1980
Jun 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Carla!:eek::)

A'DAM
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I hope Ula will match Aga's result as a Wimbledon WC :bounce: (Dream on :haha: :haha: :haha: )

jj74
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It seems that almost everybody have problems with Carla's wc and i don't know why. She hasn't results on grass, but she is 19, she plays itfs till a couple of months ago, so nobody knows how she will play.
And i hope she plays a brit too, because brit girls are far from being impresive in any surface, maybe Laura Robson change that in a near future

jamatthews
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
It seems that almost everybody have problems with Carla's wc and i don't know why. She hasn't results on grass, but she is 19, she plays itfs till a couple of months ago, so nobody knows how she will play.
And i hope she plays a brit too, because brit girls are far from being impresive in any surface, maybe Laura Robson change that in a near future

South def Suarez Navarro 6-4 6-2 :wavey:

I enjoyed watching Carla play, but don't start getting cocky just because a draw opened up. ;)

cn ireland
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Jelena Dokic better get a WC of some sort:fiery:!! She's more deserving of one say than Sam Stosur. When will the other WCs be announced?

Would also like to see Stevenson get a QWC. I heard that Sprem has withdrawn from the entry list so can't see her getting one now.

jj74
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM

I enjoyed watching Carla play, but don't start getting cocky just because a draw opened up. ;)

We'll see, maybe carla sucks on grass maybe not, but noone of british girls is unbeatable, that's for sure

jamatthews
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
We'll see, maybe carla sucks on grass maybe not, but noone of british girls is unbeatable, that's for sure

I don't think she'll necessarily suck on grass.

StephenUK
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Maybe but no draw has 'opened up' for a Britgirl to make a QF in a grand slam for 20 years since the days of Jo Durie! :lol:

Carla totally deserved her wild card, as did the 4 Britgirls. I think that the Brits get far too much stick for getting WCs, the problem is that there are not enough in the main draw directly, although at least Anne K has changed that embarrassing situation.

I agree it looks like Sprem won't get one, although I disagree about her results, she has had some reasonable wins since coming back from injury. I still think she is a better bet than say Viktoria Kutuzova who got one last year. Once you don't give them to Brits, who do you give them to?

BTW, Lucic did not get one because those were the days when Brits got 6-7 of the wild cards, it would be different now.

jamatthews
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Maybe but no draw has 'opened up' for a Britgirl to make a QF in a grand slam for 20 years since the days of Jo Durie! :lol:

The draw's opened up, it's just getting beyond the 2nd round is a bit much...:p:o

powerbackhand
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
lucic should get a quali wc and jelena should get at least that

Cankarlo
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
4 MD WCs to brits are too much?:weirdo:

It is not the subject. They can give all the 8 WCs to them if they really are deserving. But I mean that so many players are still din't announce which deserving more than them ;)

Iceland
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
lucic should get a quali wc and jelena should get at least that
Why the hell should Lucic be given a WC?! She is out of form, she has had so many already & keeps on wasting them. She lost again today to Cabeza-Candela, she always loses anyway. So please stop with this Lucic should have WCs everywhere just because she had one good result thousand years ago :o.

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Why the hell should Lucic be given a WC?! She is out of form, she has had so many already & keeps on wasting them. She lost again today to Cabeza-Candela, she always loses anyway. So please stop with this Lucic should have WCs everywhere just because she had one good result thousand years ago :o.
:worship:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2008-06-10/200806101213108347563.html
Okay, still 4 QWC's left. *crosses fingers for Dokic*

Sprem and Lucic won't get WC's.

ce
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
please God let them give qwc to Jelena

DownTheLine21
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I don't see any players that should get one before she does

cheo23
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I hope Americans get the last two WCs.

Bette_Midler
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Carlita :bounce:

about british girls, I m sure, a future Wimbledon winner will be ....

ELISHA GABB

:hearts:

VAMOS!

:bounce:

Mr.Kardashian
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
isnt suaerez navarro in the top 50 now?

Bartosh
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM
isnt suaerez navarro in the top 50 now?

yes, she is ;)

drake3781
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Why do I find this so confusing?

How many WCs are there for MD, and how many for Q?

Who got them so far, and are there more to award? Why do they wait to award some?

So Date is not gonna get one, or is there still a chance?

Europe rocks
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Nice to see Mel, Bally and Naomi getting wildcards and Katie not having to wait for about 5 days before Wimbledon starts to get her WC! Unsure about Suarez Navarro getting the WC, but maybe she will provide us with a pleasent surprise. Doubt it. Not too sure about Ula either. Wonder who the other 2 WC's will go too, doubt that any of the other GB girls will get one.
Pleased to see Elliott getting a qualifying wildcard, she is more than capable of winning a match or two. Hope Georgie will be fine and Sarah is certainly dangerous. As for Fitzpatrick in singles this year :help:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Why do I find this so confusing?

How many WCs are there for MD, and how many for Q?

Who got them so far, and are there more to award? Why do they wait to award some?
So Date is not gonna get one, or is there still a chance?

Because the committee is still reviewing the other candidates. For all we know there could be a dissagreement over the last couple WC spots within the nominating committee board. :eek::)

Randy H
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Pretty satisfied with all of the singles WC choices for both the main draw and qualifying. Not sure I would have given one to Suarez Navarro, but not a big deal.

The doubles selection is truly appalling though. Where are the WC's for Anna Hawkins, Anna Fitzpatrick, Anna Smith, and Sarah Borwell? People who are actually prepared to play doubles all year, and have posted good results on the ITF level winning multiple challengers and ranking as 4 of the top 6 in doubles for Great Britain. Really disappointing in my opinion.

Monica_Rules
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Of the 4 remaining Q WC's 2 will go to brits from the WC play-off.

kittyking
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I think they should give a Maindraw Wildcard to Sam Stosur :shrug:

Dawson.
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
only 4 british women! i know anne makes it 5, but this would have been the perfect opportunity to have 6 british women in the main draw for the first time in ages! why hasnt amanda elliot got one??

i can understand radwanska and suarez navarro getting one though. i think the other should go to Larcher de Brito - so in years to come, people will look back and see that wimbledon was the 1st gs she played. they did the same for pavlyuchenkova last year

also, one for laura robson, the most promising junior britain has produced in years

Dawson.
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I hope Americans get the last two WCs.

:spit:

oh just like how the americans give the brits wildcards into the US Open you mean?! :lol:

Slutiana
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
All the other 4 grandslams give more WC's to home players, so why not the brits? All are top 200 and have good wins against much higher ranked opponents.

And 4 WC's is hardly a lot. I think its the lowest number ever.
3 are 150. :banana:

Sylvester
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Considering the love England and Portugal have for each other, I'm sure Michelle will have a MDWC! :lol:

Monica_Rules
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Naomi isn't there yet. She will be soon but shes 196 atm i think.

faboozadoo15
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
:spit:

oh just like how the americans give the brits wildcards into the US Open you mean?! :lol:

Well to be fair, Americans know how to play tennis.
Brits would get their asses kicked in NCAA tounaments in the states.

NeeemZ
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
You'd presume that if Stosur is able to beat K Bondarenko that she'd almost be a certain bet for the remaining WC.

Slumpsova
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Ula :haha:
now she probably faces Aga in the first round :scared: :o

and give it Suarez Navarro will be another big joke :tape:

*hingis_forever*
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
All the Americans who know how to play are already in the main draw. What Americans honestly deserve wild cards into the main draw? And your comment about Brits in NCAA tournaments is absolute nonsense!

PLP
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Carla's gonna tear the draw apart! :armed: With her serve and volley skills she can make at least the quarters, I just hope Serena is ready to feel the full force of the "Carla-Effect"

:lol:

Not sure if you were joking, but Carla definitely deserves a WC, so I'm glad. I can actually see her doing well on grass, maybe not a quarterfinal, but whoever draws her should NOT underestimate her.

So, are Dokic, Stevenson and Lucic playing qualies or not...I hope so
:sad:

Harvs
Jun 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
ew at suarez navarro

and omg... little radwanska is queen of WCs lol

darkangel23
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Suárez Navarro?! That girl who now still plays a clay event... Uhm hopefully you know what you did there...

markhingis
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Four British women have received wild cards and will join Anne Keothavong in the main draw of the Grand Slam beginning on 23rd June. British number two Katie O’Brien who is through to round two at the WTA event in Birmingham will be playing in her fifth Wimbledon. The 22 year old from Yorkshire won a round at the All England Club last year and, having had an impressive year so far will be hoping to extend her run of form into The Championships.

Elena Baltacha, Mel South and Naomi Cavaday have also received wild cards into the main draw. Amanda Elliott, Anna Fitzpatrick, Georgie Stoop and Sarah Borwell all have the opportunity of joining them, having been given wild cards into the qualifying draw.

Three all British pairs, recommended by the LTA, have received wild cards into the doubles event, Anne Keothavong and Melanie South, Elena Baltacha and Naomi Cavaday and Amanda Elliott and Katie O’Brien will all play in the women’s draw.

Carl Maes, Head of Women’s Tennis, added: “All four girls who have been given main draw wild cards have been performing consistently well and have proved that they can perform well on grass. Those girls in qualifying have also shown me that they can challenge top 100 opposition and stand a good chance of challenging for a place in main draw.”

The wild card play-offs begin on Tuesday 10th June with the finalists in the men’s and women’s draws guaranteed wild cards into Wimbledon qualifying.

FULL LIST

Ladies' singles
Elena Baltacha (GBR)
Naomi Cavaday (GBR)
Katie O’Brien (GBR)
Melanie South GBR
Urszula Radwankska (POL)
2 x Tba

who is Radwankska??

I know Agnieszka Radwańska...
You should get used to the name, cause you'll hear it more often!

$uricate
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I think they made a good decision with the wildcards. I dont see why everyone is moaning about Carla, as a top 50 she should be in this event anyway, just because she wasn't six weeks ago doesn't mean she is not one of the 50 best players as of now. Give her a chance to prove herself.

I also think some other Dokic fans are delusional if they think that Jelena deserves a Maindraw wildcard, and definately if they think she deserves one more than Stosur, Jelena is not really ready for grass yet so give her a qualies one if anything. Stosur is only ranked so low because of injury, she was top 30 before that if she beats Bondarenko then she should get one.

OsloErik
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I doubt it. She has quite a good volley. Not a great serve, but she's capable of winning a round or two. And some players are miserable on grass. Imagine if she gets Vaidisova in the 2nd round and AMG in the 3rd. She could make a 4th round here, not comfortably, but possibly.

OsloErik
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Ula :haha:
now she probably faces Aga in the first round :scared: :o

and give it Suarez Navarro will be another big joke :tape:

Well, to be fair, she's a top 50 player now. You can't legitimately deny her a chance to play in the Wimbledon MD when she's more than halved her ranking in three weeks. That's part of the reason they give wildcards; to adjust for ranking improvement. That's how Isner got into a couple tournaments last August.

StephenUK
Jun 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I agree with Oslo.

Carla totally deserves her wild card.

A lot of you are moaning about the Brits, Ula and Carla but who else deserves one?

Stosur - has beaten off-form Krajicek and Peer as part of her comeback, but her 2-5 Wimbledon win-loss record is pathetic.

Sprem - has been criticised by markdelaney, but at least she has made a qf in the last 5 years, unlike Dokic, Lucic or Stevenson. Her comeback compares favourably with Stosur's as she beat Hantuchova and Sugiyama at Amelia Island. But may have pulled out.

Lucic (sf 1999), Stevenson (sf 1999), Dokic (sf 2000) - have had loads of chances in the past but have flunked them. Still living off results from the last century. Dokic could deserve a QWC just about as she has been doing well on the ITF tour but the others do not. Stevenson will prob get in anyway.

Americans - which Americans and why? They do the Brits no favours at the US Open and who are these prospects? Veteran journeywoman Lilia Osterloh? Ahsha Rolle, a player who looks like she will be condemned to be 100-200 for the majority of her career? Ditto Lepchenko, Haynes, Spears, Kop-Jones. Alexa Glatch and Madison Brengle are not exactly setting the world alight. The only decent prospect is Melanie Oudin and why should she be singled out over another junior prospect? I think that US players should only get a WC if there is a swap.

Alicia Molik? - her disastrous loss of form would seem to indicate that she belongs in the qualies rather than the main draw at the moment.

Cara Black? - has more or less given up singles since about 2006, but she is playing singles in the Olympics so I can see her asking for a WC. Seems a bit lame to give her one as she is hardly up and coming.

Given this selection, it is a shame that they did not give a WC to Elliott, Broady or Stoop, though hopefully one of these girls will get some points in the qualies instead.

OsloErik
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'd love to see them give a spare to BSM.

$uricate
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Carla totally deserves her wild card.
Agree.

Lucic (sf 1999), Stevenson (sf 1999), Dokic (sf 2000) - have had loads of chances in the past but have flunked them. Still living off results from the last century. Dokic could deserve a QWC just about as she has been doing well on the ITF tour but the others do not. Stevenson will prob get in anyway.

Yeah at least Jelena is playing well, if at a lower level but she should never get a MD wildcard. Lucic has gotten into absolutely no rhythm at all since her "come-back" and Stevenson's results show no improvement, even after her miracle win at Charleston.

Cara Black? - has more or less given up singles since about 2006, but she is playing singles in the Olympics so I can see her asking for a WC. Seems a bit lame to give her one as she is hardly up and coming.

What a complete and utter waste. Is she even gonna play another singles event apart from the Olympics? If not why even bother, its not like shes gonna make a run.

chris whiteside
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Surely the whole point of Wild Cards is that the organisers can give them to whomever they wish?

It is not unreasonable to expect Wimbledon to give them to British players and they HAVE cut back this year.

Slumpsova
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Well, to be fair, she's a top 50 player now. You can't legitimately deny her a chance to play in the Wimbledon MD when she's more than halved her ranking in three weeks. That's part of the reason they give wildcards; to adjust for ranking improvement. That's how Isner got into a couple tournaments last August.
just bc she's #50 now doesn't mean she can play anywhere. i myself respect her achievement in RG a lot but given the fact that she never played on grass before in probably her entire life, i'm sure she will lose easily to someone in R1. it's true she is a top 100 now. she should be in all slams MD but don't you think it will be better for her to start off on grass with a weaker draw like qualifying? i mean she probably wins couple of points instead of 2 points and go back to clay 2 weeks later.

Dawson.
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM

andy murray, junior us open champ 2004. didnt get a wild card into the mens draw in 05, despite all his recent success. instead he qualified and reached R2 - losing to clement in 5 sets :wavey:

DutchieGirl
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
It is not the subject. They can give all the 8 WCs to them if they really are deserving. But I mean that so many players are still din't announce which deserving more than them ;)

EVERY tournament gives WCs to the local girls. Some players are lucky, they have a GS in their home country - it's not like if the GSs were in other countries it wouldn't be the same. Besides, it's alot more "open" with the WCs now than it used to be.

OZTENNIS
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Oh come off it, Sam deserves a wildcard, looking at her conquerors at Wimbledon
Davenport '03
Zvonereva '04
Pastikova '05
Mauresmo '06
Sequera '07

The only reason she lost to Sequera is because she had the early stages of viral meningitis. So really, her only bad loss is to Pastikova in '05

I think that she should get a wildcard over some of the other brits, but having said that, if I were British I would want another few Brits in the main draw
Dokic, I think, should get a qualifying wildcard. Nothing for BSM, or lucic, only Sprem or Stevenson should get quallies wc

Dawson.
Jun 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
i thought sam stosur has a protected ranking :shrug: i know she is using it to get into eastbourne. but i dont know if it is valid in grand slams??

but anyways, sam definatley deserves a wild card and will probably get one. wimbledon loves to give the aussies wildcards

RND
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ula. :spit:

StephenUK
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Oh come off it, Sam deserves a wildcard, looking at her conquerors at Wimbledon
Davenport '03
Zvonereva '04
Pastikova '05
Mauresmo '06
Sequera '07

The only reason she lost to Sequera is because she had the early stages of viral meningitis. So really, her only bad loss is to Pastikova in '05

I think that she should get a wildcard over some of the other brits, but having said that, if I were British I would want another few Brits in the main draw
Dokic, I think, should get a qualifying wildcard. Nothing for BSM, or lucic, only Sprem or Stevenson should get quallies wc

OK, maybe Sam's Wimbledon record is not pathetic, but it is hardly brilliant either. She has no big wins there, has never been past the second round and has only won her first match twice in five appearances. So you can't really use her Wimbledon record as her selling point; more her status as a player who is really part of the top 50, cf Carla Suarez-Navarro.

I still think that Sprem would be the other deserving case. Other players who have done well at recent Wimbledons but dropped down the rankings, like Likhovtseva and Peschke are now retired or just about retired from singles.

Beat
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
just bc she's #50 now doesn't mean she can play anywhere.

well, you can say that about a lot of players in the top 50.
and if nadal can reach 2 wimbledon finals ... ;)

Slumpsova
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
well, you can say that about a lot of players in the top 50.
and if nadal can reach 2 wimbledon finals ... ;)
CSN hasn't been Nadal yet. let's hope she doesn't have a problem to be AMG first :p

The Kaz
Jun 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM
CSN hasn't been Nadal yet. let's hope she doesn't have a problem to be AMG first :p

She's already done what AMG has been wanted to do for years...make a singles slam QF :haha:

Just Do It
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
If they give MDWC to Stosur instead of jelena I'm gonna be pissed.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Dokic won't get an MWC, her only chance is one of those 2 QWC's.

When the hell are they announcing the rest of the choices? I'm getting impatient. :sobbing:

paul_masterton
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
probably tomorrow afternoon or friday at the latest

StephenUK
Jun 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe they will give WCs to the last surviving of these players still in the Birmingham draw:

Bethanie Mattek - only 3 away from MD so may get in anyway if a few others withdraw
Melinda Czink
Yaroslava Shvedova
Sunitha Rao

It would sort of explain why they have kept some WCs back, unless grass performances in the run-up to Wimbledon were not going to be taken into account somehow.

Samantha Stosur's comprehensive defeat by Katerina Bondarenko today cannot have helped her cause.

$uricate
Jun 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
She's already done what AMG has been wanted to do for years...make a singles slam QF :haha:

OMG Burrrnnn!!!!1111

Carla is totally bringing it, AMG can kiss her sexy ass!

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
if LTA owned Wimbledon, no foreigners would probably get WC (excpet like other slams doing trade offs) but AELTC dont give a shit about LTA

kittyking
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
if LTA owned Wimbledon, no foreigners would probably get WC (excpet like other slams doing trade offs) but AELTC dont give a shit about LTA

Finally someone says it!

To be fair it's kind of a good thing, its nice to have a tournament where foreign players are granted wildcard without deals. Although I still don't know why Viktoria Kutuzova ever got a wildcard :confused:

StephenUK
Jun 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Finally someone says it!

To be fair it's kind of a good thing, its nice to have a tournament where foreign players are granted wildcard without deals. Although I still don't know why Viktoria Kutuzova ever got a wildcard :confused:

But surely the main reason is because of the bad press that British wild cards have had for losing in the first couple of rounds of Wimbledon - even the BBC is very critical and hostile to them! The fact is that just about the same happens for wild cards in every other grand slam, but I don't get the impression that their wild cards get any media focus. Here in Britain, the main problem has been the lack of main draw entry players, not the standard of the wild card entries - after all, Wimbledon is the only grand slam to have awarded a wild card to the future winner - Goran Ivanisevic!

The LTA have been under a lot of pressure not to appear to be awarding wild cards carte blanche to the top seven or eight ranked Brits, even if they are 500 in the world, and so have come up with formulae like a minimum ranking or in previous years, wild card play-offs for main draw as well as qualifying wild cards. I think they have been really mean on the men's side not to give one to Josh Goodall as it may mean there will only be three men in the men's event, surely the lowest of all time. I'd still prefer it if they gave another one to a Brit to someone like Kutuzova just for the sake of giving one to a foreign player.

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
But surely the main reason is because of the bad press that British wild cards have had for losing in the first couple of rounds of Wimbledon - even the BBC is very critical and hostile to them! The fact is that just about the same happens for wild cards in every other grand slam, but I don't get the impression that their wild cards get any media focus. Here in Britain, the main problem has been the lack of main draw entry players, not the standard of the wild card entries - after all, Wimbledon is the only grand slam to have awarded a wild card to the future winner - Goran Ivanisevic!

The LTA have been under a lot of pressure not to appear to be awarding wild cards carte blanche to the top seven or eight ranked Brits, even if they are 500 in the world, and so have come up with formulae like a minimum ranking or in previous years, wild card play-offs for main draw as well as qualifying wild cards. I think they have been really mean on the men's side not to give one to Josh Goodall as it may mean there will only be three men in the men's event, surely the lowest of all time. I'd still prefer it if they gave another one to a Brit to someone like Kutuzova just for the sake of giving one to a foreign player.

Well they had to give the 7th successive wildcard to Alex Bogdanovic who has never won a match at Wimbledon and gone from 133 this time last year down to 280 where he will be next Monday. Such brilliant progress must be rewarded.

A maximum of 3 wildcards to the same player and wildcards handed out to the top British juniors would probably be more favourably received. Boris Becker said the LTA rewards mediocrity and he's right.

OZTENNIS
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM

To be honest, most of the wildcards from the other Grand Slam nations tend to do better than the Brits...
Wimbledon '07 anyone? Britain's 'best' women (Keothavong, O'Brien, South, Cavaday, Baltacha) all lost in the first round, bar O'Brien who lost 6-0 6-1 to Krajicek in R2 anyway...
At the Aussie this year, 4 Australian women made the second round, with Stosur on the sidelines, and Dokic failing to qualify...Molik, Dellacqua, Rodionova and Moore. Admittedly, Adamczak, Ferguson and Wheeler did nothing much with there's, but both Adamczak and Wheeler did quite well in the lead up to the Aussie.
Having said that, British tennis is on the rise once more and next year, I expect there will be at least 6 MD wildcards for (maybe)...Baltacha, South, Cavaday, Elliot, Broady and Konta

TS
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
^ Didn't Julie Pullin receive like 10 or 11 WCs and never won a single match? Something like that should NEVER be repeated ever again :lol:

markdelaney
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
^ Didn't Julie Pullin receive like 10 or 11 WCs and never won a single match? Something like that should NEVER be repeated ever again :lol:

She qualified for the Australian Open in 2000 and had a match point to win through to the 3rd round.9 wildcards at Wimbledon and had match point against Weingartner in 2001 but never won a match sadly.